Dark Souls - PC Port confirmed!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Aeonknight:
First and foremost, there are different styles of equipping weapons. There's weapon/shield, dual wield, and 2 handing a weapon.

For weapon/shield, it's pretty standard. however Spears have the advantage of being able to block and attack @ same time (it's a weak little poke and really stamina intensive when a monster is beating on your defenses, so heavy shield recommended.)

Dual wielding I haven't done much of. You can't block anymore, but you can still parry. Instead block becomes an attack button.

2 handing weapons can be done with anything. You can literaly 2 hand a dagger if you want, it doubles the attack power (and cuts the required stats in half to wield the weapon, good for using large weapons early on until you level up enough to use with 1 hand.) Also if you have any sort of support enchantments (Glass Crest shield has a stamina regeneration buff), 2 handing will still yield the enchantment even if you're not actively using it.

There's your standard weak/strong attacks, but there's also running attacks, Lunging attacks (which can't be parried by enemies, forward movement + Strong attack @ same time), quick attack (which is just forward movement + weak attack. sometimes it's just a kick to break their guard when they block constantly, other weapons have a little slice + backflip move, depends on weapon)

It gets pretty in depth, but generally you have weak, strong, lunging, running, backstab, and parry/riposte

Remember when I said I wasn't all that psyched about this game? Scratch that, I am. This sounds great.

Daystar Clarion:
Well, the controls for the PS3 version are:

R1: Attack
R2: Heavy Attack
L1: Block
L2: Parry

Triangle: Switch between wielding your right hand weapon with one or two hands (wielding a weapon with 2 hands does more damage)

Circle: Hold = sprint, tap = roll
X: Interact
Square: Use item

D-pad:
Up: Change spell
Down: Change item
Left: Switch between 2 items in the left hand
Right: Switch between 2 items in the right hand.
L3: Lock on.

Let's do this.

LMB - Attack
RMB - Heavy attack
Scroll Up - Change spell
Scroll Down - Change item

X - Switch between holding weapon with one or two hands.
Z - Switch between 2 items in the left hand
C - Switch between 2 items in the right hand.

E - Interact
F - Use item

Shift - Block
Control - Parry
Space - Sprint/roll
Tab - Lock on

I can only guess about a lot of the stuff, which is surprising. Dark souls sounds way deeper than anything I've ever played on a console.

I see the button for "use item". How do you activate a spell?

Daystar Clarion:
Wait, wait, wait, wait.

Wait.

Wait, wait.

Wait.

There's going to be extra content?

I hope we get that extra content...

Yeah if they don't release the new bosses as DLC or such on consoles, that is a slap at their current fanbase.

Hammeroj:

Aeonknight:
First and foremost, there are different styles of equipping weapons. There's weapon/shield, dual wield, and 2 handing a weapon.

For weapon/shield, it's pretty standard. however Spears have the advantage of being able to block and attack @ same time (it's a weak little poke and really stamina intensive when a monster is beating on your defenses, so heavy shield recommended.)

Dual wielding I haven't done much of. You can't block anymore, but you can still parry. Instead block becomes an attack button.

2 handing weapons can be done with anything. You can literaly 2 hand a dagger if you want, it doubles the attack power (and cuts the required stats in half to wield the weapon, good for using large weapons early on until you level up enough to use with 1 hand.) Also if you have any sort of support enchantments (Glass Crest shield has a stamina regeneration buff), 2 handing will still yield the enchantment even if you're not actively using it.

There's your standard weak/strong attacks, but there's also running attacks, Lunging attacks (which can't be parried by enemies, forward movement + Strong attack @ same time), quick attack (which is just forward movement + weak attack. sometimes it's just a kick to break their guard when they block constantly, other weapons have a little slice + backflip move, depends on weapon)

It gets pretty in depth, but generally you have weak, strong, lunging, running, backstab, and parry/riposte

Remember when I said I wasn't all that psyched about this game? Scratch that, I am. This sounds great.

Daystar Clarion:
Well, the controls for the PS3 version are:

R1: Attack
R2: Heavy Attack
L1: Block
L2: Parry

Triangle: Switch between wielding your right hand weapon with one or two hands (wielding a weapon with 2 hands does more damage)

Circle: Hold = sprint, tap = roll
X: Interact
Square: Use item

D-pad:
Up: Change spell
Down: Change item
Left: Switch between 2 items in the left hand
Right: Switch between 2 items in the right hand.
L3: Lock on.

Let's do this.

LMB - Attack
RMB - Heavy attack
Scroll Up - Change spell
Scroll Down - Change item

X - Switch between holding weapon with one or two hands.
Z - Switch between 2 items in the left hand
C - Switch between 2 items in the right hand.

E - Interact
F - Use item

Shift - Block
Control - Parry
Space - Sprint/roll
Tab - Lock on

I can only guess about a lot of the stuff, which is surprising. Dark souls sounds way deeper than anything I've ever played on a console.

I see the button for "use item". How do you activate a spell?

Spells are cast using a casting item, that would be included as one of the 4 items you wield in your right and left hand.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

AC10:
I like how everyone assumes FROM is doing the port, when NamcoBandai could have very well hired a third party to do it. We don't know yet.

Well, the addition of new bosses would heavily indicate From is involved in development.

That's a good point!

Actually was REALLY looking forward to playing Dark Souls, sadly i sold my PS3 a long time ago - I'm thrilled to hear they really are making a port now. I did sign the petition and kept myself updated on it but i was a bit sceptical as to seeing if they'll really listen. Looking forward to seeing this baby in the shelves.

Korten12:

Daystar Clarion:
Wait, wait, wait, wait.

Wait.

Wait, wait.

Wait.

There's going to be extra content?

I hope we get that extra content...

Yeah if they don't release the new bosses as DLC or such on consoles, that is a slap at their current fanbase.

Hell, I'd pay for it.

Dark Souls is more than worth it in my opinion.

Putting a hardcore game on the hardcore platform, damn it's about time.

juraigamer:

Can you smell that?

Yeah, I can smell that.

Smells like elitism.

I don't know that Port is the proper term. Reddit calls it "Dark Souls: PRepare to Die Edition" Which indicats it is doing something akin to The Witcher 2's xbox 360 version. A whole new version of the game. edited for the new system.

AnythingOutstanding:

Norrdicus:

AnythingOutstanding:
Good job, PC crybabies. You've officially wasted From Software's time on a game they've already made and on a game that PC gamers will find too consolized and dumbed down to enjoy anyway.

Dumbed down... from what?

All console games are inherently made for the drooling retards who play console games.

those hatless, irish, dirty console peasants
I spit in their general direction
*spits*

OT:fuck yeah, might buy the fuck out of it, assuming it has a reasonable price and is actually distributed locally
which would mean it would have to be either GFWL distributed or EA distributed...

Aeonknight:
Just a helpful hint. I swear.

Make sure you go to New Londo ruins first.

No, you fool! You musn-

Oh, I mean...yes. YES! That's where you should go at the start. If you keep getting lost, try searching for this narrow bridge made of planks. Good gear there.

AnythingOutstanding:
Good job, PC crybabies. You've officially wasted From Software's time on a game they've already made and on a game that PC gamers will find too consolized and dumbed down to enjoy anyway.

I mean, it's not like they have King's Field V they should be working on. No no...

yeah?
and?
who cares what the PC elitists think?

also, that fact you called a 'souls' game 'dumb down', shows how little you actually know about the series, do go remedy this THEN try and say they 'dumbed it down for the console tards'.

AnythingOutstanding:

gmaverick019:

games have been doing this for ages, it's called "holding" down a button which makes the other buttons do other things. therefore, holding down any of the 30+ keys that your hand has access to to make your mouse buttons do the two other functions is more than user friendly/acceptable.

You don't understand what I'm saying at all :(

First, I didn't say it was impossible. I said it would be inferior to using a controller. Which it will be for many reasons.

And second,

and that's if they are actually going to implement it, and even then, the "fancy cool" thing about the pc is, guess what? you can use a controller! it's quite nifty/top of the line stuff that just came out.

It's not going to work as well as a controller, but I don't mind that so much since you can plug in a controller and you're good to go.

If you're going to be condescending and imply that I don't know that already, at least make sure that I didn't point it out before you did.

see this:

I mean, it's not like they have King's Field V they should be working on. No no...

that was your first post. therefore, i am going to be condescending towards you, because you imply that the game can't be played on the PC or enjoyed by PC gamers, which is complete and total horseshit. not to mention, you don't HAVE to use KB+M, which won't even be much of a problem in the first place, hell for half my games i use controllers just because i prefer the comfort of it, not because it's inferior/superior on whatever i'm playing.

i was pointing out the controller mechanic because you seemed so deadset on proving that the PC port would be unsatisfying.

It makes me feel moved! I never expected that Namco would listen to the voice of the gamers. I'm used to be treated like shit by companies, so this is a really big and pleasant surprise. I have the game for the PS3, I have already played it over than 200 hours, and I'm excited with the idea that pc gamers will play this amazing title. I'm happy for them and I'm happy for myself because I might even buy it again for the pc, to feel the thrill all over again!

I hope the port is good because the game can be enjoyable though the difficulty for me felt a bit cheap at times and I would have much preferred the co-op to be more accessible because that was a ton of fun yet was very convoluted in matchmaking (or at least Souls' form of matchmaking) making it difficult to get a game. Considering the bugs related to performance such as screen tearing this will definitely be a better game and it gets new content packed in so yay. However I would like to say to those who are PC elitists and those who believe consoles dumb things down. This game only exists because of consoles as this port is an afterthought and this game is a sequel to an exclusive with an even more limited market meaning that consoles have supported this series well enough to justify proper sequels. Furthermore it is the opposite of dumbed down yet was console only. This is to defend consoles not attack PCs and PC gamers. This is just good real evidence against the myth that console gamers do not appreciate more niche titles (its niche not hardcore get over it) and dumb everything down. We really are not different for the most part the console market simply has many more 'casual' players (though really that simply means non-enthusiast which is what we are and there really is nothing wrong with it). Also with this new content I hope myself and every other console gamer out there gets this for free as that is essentially what you are receiving. Its just fair and it would be kind of dismissive of the fans on console to not give it for free. Unless of course this new stuff comes with an added price tag.

tendaji:
I'm probably going to have to pass, I get too angry at dying and from what I hear, there is massive amounts of dying, and I'd probably rage quite a lot from the game. So no matter how good people say it is, or how satisfying beating a super boss thingie is. I think I'm going to have to pass.

No, don't pass! :-) Don't make that mistake. I was saying exactly the same things before playing Demon's Souls, but when I actually played it, I realized that this game is simply perfect. The same goes for Dark Souls too. I would say that it's more time consuming than actually difficult. It has an "rpg type" of difficulty, if you know what I mean, not action type difficulty, like Ninja Gaiden, or old school Castlevania games. Or even platformer-difficulty. I almost smashed my controller from rage in the last stage of LittleBig Planet (!) but never in Dark Souls.

I play most games on pc and I know I wouldn't want to use a m&k to play this game. For instance, they're gonna have to make things toggle-able, like block say, because you have to hold that down alot of the time, which is no prob with the shoulder buttons on a controller, but would be annoying as hell doing it with a k&m.

Just plug in a dam ps3 pad, problem solved !

FieryTrainwreck:
Bought it for PS3. Going to buy it again for PC regardless, but I'll be extra happy if they can: 1) get it running at 60+ FPS in true 1080p (assuming you've got the hardware), and 2) tweaked the multiplayer experience a little bit. The only two knocks I've got on the console version are the horrendous framerate and grief-centric MP, and fixing those two issues will pretty much result in my favorite game of the year.

ok, I read this everywhere and it just pisses me off: there's really no reason to call the 1920x1080 screen resolution on a computer "1080p". while technically correct, it's more of a term used for TVs, etc. and is quite alienating on a system that supports a pretty broad palette of resolutions.
ON TOPIC: good news. wish it would come out earlier. no wait, wish they would've released it initially for the pc as well. 5 years ago. ..............nope, it's all fine as it is.

New content? For reals?

Shit, I don't know I have the cash to shell out for a new processor, which I'm probably gonna need to play it, whereas I only need a new controller (that I need anyway) if I were to play for console.

CURSE YOU LACK OF MONEY!

Either way, I'm happy for you various PC goers who've been wanting this.

totally heterosexual:
Yay a good game on another plaftorm. Everyone is happy.

RIGHT?

Dude you accidentally reported me, I think you meant to report zhukov right?

Yay! For Dark Souls fans I guess. I've never been super interested in the 'Souls' games. A little interested, by not super excited. I'm not a big fan of dark stuff. But it does sound like it could lead to good things. I'd like to see loads of Namco games on the PC.

I love Namco games, like Tekken, Klonoa, Tales, and so forth. So I'd definitely love to see them hit the PC.

juraigamer:

:rolleyes: Oh PC gamers. You so silly sometimes.

There's nothing "hardcore" about PC gaming.

LilithSlave:
:rolleyes: Oh PC gamers. There's nothing "hardcore" about PC gaming.

You must have heard about Counter Strike, DoTA, Starcraft, Diablo etc. ;)

Adam Jensen:

The thing is, calling a platform "hardcore" implies that there are other platforms out there which are "casual" in comparison.

Like consoles. There's no reason to consider PC gaming more hardcore than console gaming.

This pleases me beyond measure. I just got a PS3 recently, and was really looking into getting this. However, I would far prefer to play it on my laptop. New content is icing on the cake. I am quite psyched for this.

Dark Souls, on the pc...

Might be the most unbelievable gaming news of 2012...

It's unfortunate, really. This game is amazing, but I certainly won't buy it again just for a lag-free blighttown. Maybe if I could transfer my hundreds of hours of gameplay into the PC version, but we all know that's not going to happen.

Meh. I don't like action RPGs and won't tolerate them unless there is a compelling story or characters. From what I hear of Dark Souls it has neither and relies on twitch gaming. The things I revile.

Daystar Clarion:

Korten12:

Hell, I'd pay for it.

They should patch the new content in as a thank you to all their loyal fans. Do a CD Projekt/CD Projekt RED and basically go "this is the new cool stuff we thought up when we were working on the port and you guys deserve it, too."

Hell, it's the smart way to handle porting to a new platform - get everyone looking forward to the release date because even if they don't give a monkey's about the platform there's New Stuff to look forward to for your platform of choice.

LilithSlave:

Adam Jensen:

The thing is, calling a platform "hardcore" implies that there are other platforms out there which are "casual" in comparison.

Like consoles. There's no reason to consider PC gaming more hardcore than console gaming.

Flight Yokes. That is the reason. You can't get them for consoles. The only hardcore games are flight sims. (I don't play flight sims, they are too hardcore for me.)

RhombusHatesYou:

Daystar Clarion:

Korten12:

Hell, I'd pay for it.

They should patch the new content in as a thank you to all their loyal fans. Do a CD Projekt/CD Projekt RED and basically go "this is the new cool stuff we thought up when we were working on the port and you guys deserve it, too."

Hell, it's the smart way to handle porting to a new platform - get everyone looking forward to the release date because even if they don't give a monkey's about the platform there's New Stuff to look forward to for your platform of choice.

It would certainly be a smart move, and I certainly wouldn't put it past FromSoftware.

They've been making a lot of good decisions lately.

octafish:
Meh. I don't like action RPGs and won't tolerate them unless there is a compelling story or characters. From what I hear of Dark Souls it has neither and relies on twitch gaming. The things I revile.

On the other hand it's nice to see the PC get some love when the gamers/fans/whoever ask for it rather than a publisher deciding console sales were a bit below their projections and they need a boost from a PC version to placate the stockholders.

Imagine if Take Two listened, we'd have gotten Red Dead Redemption instead of LA Noir.

poiumty:

AnythingOutstanding:

Oh my. Thank you for these tears, console man. They are delicious. We will savor each of these tears with glee and satisfaction.

Signed,
The PC Gaming Master Race

Ivory Thrones of Gamerland,
High above consoleplebia
PO Box 1337

I usually don't like people declaring themselves 'the master race' because they happen to play on a certain platform from someone else but I'm not going to lie, that really made me laugh. I would give you a cookie, but I'm too lazy to add a picture of a cookie. So we'll just say that I gave you a cookie.

OT: Niiiiiiiiice! I already have it for Xbox but I will get it for PC as well.

octafish:
The only hardcore games are flight sims. (I don't play flight sims, they are too hardcore for me.)

Flight simmers are mad as gooses. I mean, I can see the potential in all the light plane stuff, short hops and tight flying... but the people who sim a cargo flight from LAX to Hong Kong? Insane.

Not to mention they're the sort of people who will easily drop $2k on peripherals. Yokes, throttle boxes, pedals, switch boxes and so on... You just know they're on the look out for a hydraulic system and prefabbed flightdeck cabin.

Stilt:

Try playing it again when you're an adult, I think you will like it better. Also cilantro, girls, and blackjack

What does cilantro have to do with being an adult, enjoying videogames, girls, blackjack or anything at all? Seriously, I stopped reading the rest of the thread and just stared at your post in confusion for about 30 seconds thinking:"What.... wait, what? .... I don't.... what?" etc. Please explain your randomness.

OT: Bought it on 360. It was really cool early on. Eventually, I got bored, though. I really do need a story to keep me interested in a game and "kill stuff, because it's your destiny" didn't do it for me.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked