Dark Souls - PC Port confirmed!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

RhombusHatesYou:

octafish:
Meh. I don't like action RPGs and won't tolerate them unless there is a compelling story or characters. From what I hear of Dark Souls it has neither and relies on twitch gaming. The things I revile.

On the other hand it's nice to see the PC get some love when the gamers/fans/whoever ask for it rather than a publisher deciding console sales were a bit below their projections and they need a boost from a PC version to placate the stockholders.

Imagine if Take Two listened, we'd have gotten Red Dead Redemption instead of LA Noir.

Well I would have bought that. Sure it's nice that the game is getting ported, I just have zero interest in this one. Meanwhile I have heard disturbing news that Prey 2 may have been cancelled. Space bounty hunter Noir. Gone!

RhombusHatesYou:

octafish:
The only hardcore games are flight sims. (I don't play flight sims, they are too hardcore for me.)

Flight simmers are mad as gooses. I mean, I can see the potential in all the light plane stuff, short hops and tight flying... but the people who sim a cargo flight from LAX to Hong Kong? Insane.

Not to mention they're the sort of people who will easily drop $2k on peripherals. Yokes, throttle boxes, pedals, switch boxes and so on... You just know they're on the look out for a hydraulic system and prefabbed flightdeck cabin.

Like I said...hardcore.

Daystar Clarion:
It would certainly be a smart move, and I certainly wouldn't put it past FromSoftware.

They've been making a lot of good decisions lately.

Well, the final decision is usually the publishers... hrmmm... appears they are the publishers as well. Good for them.

Only possible roadblocks then are the console manufacturers being dicks about free content updates... and possibly Namco-Bandai getting all piss pants because of their distro rights for pretty much everywhere but japan.

It's a great game and I'm glad more people will get to play it. If I have one bit of advice regarding the story, don't believe everything you are told.

SwimmingRock:

Stilt:

Try playing it again when you're an adult, I think you will like it better. Also cilantro, girls, and blackjack

What does cilantro have to do with being an adult, enjoying videogames, girls, blackjack or anything at all? Seriously, I stopped reading the rest of the thread and just stared at your post in confusion for about 30 seconds thinking:"What.... wait, what? .... I don't.... what?" etc. Please explain your randomness.

OT: Bought it on 360. It was really cool early on. Eventually, I got bored, though. I really do need a story to keep me interested in a game and "kill stuff, because it's your destiny" didn't do it for me.

Kids hate cilantro, everyone knows that, and adults love it. That's just common sense.

Oh and the story in Dark souls is great, very nuanced and subtle. Its up to the player to piece it together, fill in the gaps so to speak, overall it makes it one of the best stories in a videogame ever. I wish more games would take a page from FROMsoft and tell their stories like dark souls told theirs, instead of squatting over people and taking an exposition dump on their forehead. Some people tend to like this (FF13 fans), but hey we're all a little bit kinky so i'll refrain from judging

octafish:
Well I would have bought that. Sure it's nice that the game is getting ported, I just have zero interest in this one. Meanwhile I have heard disturbing news that Prey 2 may have been cancelled. Space bounty hunter Noir. Gone!

Yeah, I dunno what the fuck is going on there. On the other hand... single source rumour that gave Easter fucking Saturday, of all days, as the supposed day for the official announcement of the cancellation.

Like I said...hardcore.

Ah, you're using the old school definition meaning 'freakishly obsessed'. ;)

This might be the first ever time I've brought a game twice. Already have Dark Souls on 360 (completed all achievements as well) and will probably get it on PC as well, it's that fun.

Also gives me the opportunity to enjoy what might be a better multiplayer experience, cannot wait for this.

From what I've heard the PC version of this game is going to have extra bosses.

Not sure it it's true or not, but either way, it's great that Dark Souls is going to be available for the PC. I'm sure you PC gamers will love it.

Stilt:

Zhukov:
Eh, too late.

I got the PS3 version and it was decidedly "meh".

Boring and repetitive combat, stupid checkpoint placement, respawning enemies and it looks like shit. Grey sludge layered on grey sludge. Although there was that one time I saw some green sludge. Made my day.

I'm just glad I got a used copy. If it had been full price I would have been pissed.

Try playing it again when you're an adult, I think you will like it better. Also cilantro, girls, and blackjack

I'm sorry, but what on Earth is that supposed to mean?

I for one am happy for PC games to see this and weep. This game is like a Baptism by fire (but everything is lava and your priest is Satan), so it'll be fun to see what goes on from their perspective.

I only wish we could get the bonus bosses on the Console version as well, but at the same time it will leave our thumbs more healed over, so a mixed bag really!

Dear God, all of the idiocy is literally coming from 2 people. They're creating an intellectual black hole where anything sensible is immediately sucked into oblivion. It makes my brain hurt.
On topic, now I will actually try the game. Hate controllers, hate being forced to use them. Now I can play it the way I want.

As far as the extra content is concerned, if they're not stupid, console players will get it. The only problem I see is that Microsoft will force them to charge for it as usual.

Gorilla Gunk:
Meh, still kind of annoyed by this, mostly because I know that if I did the same thing to try and get a console port of a PC exclusive (Like Amnesia or S.T.A.L.K.E.R.) it would never work and I'd just be told to "Buy a PC."

Heh, you know, so much I despise consoles for silly and irrelevant personal reasons, if a guy would send me a petition for a console port of STALKER (and I put it this way: CONSOLE PORT, not a friggin relocation to that platform) I'll sign it just to get more developer to drop this silly exclusive bullshit that prevents me from playing the 2-3 console games I have interest in (and with the release of Lolipop Chainsaw 3-4).

But I get your point. The thing is: "We" had to hear this also a lot. About every thread about this petition had at least 1 guy yelling that people should get themselfs a console. And this thread shows it again: People can be so smug sometimes that even I, a person with a lot of hate in me towards consoles, can just shake my head and ask myself what this rant just brought to the table.

Oh, and don't forget those little discussions about controller vs m&k...

Final final thought: I'm actually asking myself why STALKER has no console port... This game is designed to be played with few buttons (limited weaponslots), I'm pretty sure I can pull out a control scheme for a controller out of my ass in 3 minutes without changing actual gameplay from the game.

I think this is a good year for the power of petitions. Petition for Mass Effect 3? Somewhat failed, but was acknowledged enough that an extended cut is being made.
Petition for Dark Souls PC? Win.
And this is just the 4th month of the year.
What will be next I wonder...

This is awesome news! Might be the first game I go and pick up for my new rig (18th b-day present in August)
*does little happy-dance*

Smeggs:
I'D JUMP FOR JOY...sadly it'll just be another game my computer will not be able to handle.

I still remember the waste of five dollars Metro2033 was on sale. Not because it's bad, on the contrary, it's possibly my favorite shooter of all time, but because anything more detailed than a blank wall made the framerate shit itself.

And yet I can play TF2 and HL2 on highest settings with minimal to no lag whatsoever...

Metro 2033 with DX11 is a very demanding game. TF2 and HL2 are kind of old games that run on the Source engine, which is also kind of old, but very optimized to run on PC's.

Congrats PC users, you will absolutely love it, I know this to be true.

Two pieces of advice: 1) I know there will always be some master race propagating nerds that will claim that MnK is the greatest thing since the computer itself, but I encourage you to play with some sort of gamepad. Also, play it on a huge screen.

2) DONT READ GUIDES. I know it becomes incredibly fucking frustrating, but there is absolutely nothing like your first time. You may miss alot of stuff, but you can comeback and do it all again.

gmaverick019:

joking aside, i've played both demon/dark souls, and i don't see why keyboard mouse would be a problem?

OT: Can't wait, I signed that petition and you bet your sweet ass my 60 bucks is gonna be thrown down for it.

Actually.......

TheKasp:

Gorilla Gunk:
Meh, still kind of annoyed by this, mostly because I know that if I did the same thing to try and get a console port of a PC exclusive (Like Amnesia or S.T.A.L.K.E.R.) it would never work and I'd just be told to "Buy a PC."

Heh, you know, so much I despise consoles for silly and irrelevant personal reasons, if a guy would send me a petition for a console port of STALKER (and I put it this way: CONSOLE PORT, not a friggin relocation to that platform) I'll sign it just to get more developer to drop this silly exclusive bullshit that prevents me from playing the 2-3 console games I have interest in (and with the release of Lolipop Chainsaw 3-4).

But I get your point. The thing is: "We" had to hear this also a lot. About every thread about this petition had at least 1 guy yelling that people should get themselfs a console. And this thread shows it again: People can be so smug sometimes that even I, a person with a lot of hate in me towards consoles, can just shake my head and ask myself what this rant just brought to the table.

Oh, and don't forget those little discussions about controller vs m&k...

Final final thought: I'm actually asking myself why STALKER has no console port... This game is designed to be played with few buttons (limited weaponslots), I'm pretty sure I can pull out a control scheme for a controller out of my ass in 3 minutes without changing actual gameplay from the game.

The thing is, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SHOULD have a console port by now since the developer got their Xbox developers certificate years ago and even SAID they wanted to port one of the games to consoles before S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 was released. But that was back in 2007-2008 and we haven't heard a peep out of them about that console port since. It's a real shame. I mean, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.2 WILL get a console release, that they've confirmed, it just would have been nice to have been able to play the earlier games. Oh well, there's always Metro 2033 and it's upcoming sequel.

As for Amnesia, I ran across an old article saying that after the games huge success it made them enough money that they were considering contracting a third party developer to port the game to consoles, kind of like how they're contracting another developer to handle the sequel. But that article (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/07/amnesia-dev-now-stable-following-tremendous-sales/#continued) was from January 2011 and like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. example above, they haven't mentioned it since.

I was going to go ahead a draft up a petition but I decided to contact Frictional Games and ask them if they're still considering a console port and whether a petition is even necessary, and if not, whether a petition would somehow change their minds. I SHOULD receive a reply sometime next week if they didn't just trash the email outright, which I hope they don't.

Anyway, thanks for the support. I'll remember this if I do end up starting a petition.

I did say id buy this game again if it came to pass. Its coming to pass, better serve money where mouth is.

And i signed the petition, so id feel like a douche for not doing it.

And this extra content... i do so pray it to be true.

TopazFusion:
Why do these threads always descend into a PC vs console flamewar?

Its just fated to happen, so why fight it?

Also it provides some genuine entertainment.

Dragonmaster3:

Smeggs:
I'D JUMP FOR JOY...sadly it'll just be another game my computer will not be able to handle.

I still remember the waste of five dollars Metro2033 was on sale. Not because it's bad, on the contrary, it's possibly my favorite shooter of all time, but because anything more detailed than a blank wall made the framerate shit itself.

And yet I can play TF2 and HL2 on highest settings with minimal to no lag whatsoever...

Metro 2033 with DX11 is a very demanding game. TF2 and HL2 are kind of old games that run on the Source engine, which is also kind of old, but very optimized to run on PC's.

Source engine may be "old", but Valve is constantly improving it. Remember what Half Life 2 looked like originally? Then compare it to Portal 2. The same engine, two significantly different looking games. One thing about Valve we can always count on, their excellent optimization.

TopazFusion:
Why do these threads always descend into a PC vs console flamewar?

Because far too many people are insecure and they display said insecurity by trying to justify their choices and call other people names!

Awesome, looks like i can get a second copy for the pc.

as for the extra bosses........... i don't know whether to be happy, or terrified.

Buretsu:
Finally!

Now someone just needs to release a Mod that makes this game easier, and we'll be all set.

making it easier would be defeating the purpose of the game. the fun of the game is that its so hard, so challenging that it's like having 10 orgasms at once when you defeat a boss (i felt like i had to shower after beating the endless discharge(not a spoiler unless you google it))

Waaghpowa:

Dragonmaster3:

Smeggs:

Source engine may be "old", but Valve is constantly improving it. Remember what Half Life 2 looked like originally? Then compare it to Portal 2. The same engine, two significantly different looking games. One thing about Valve we can always count on, their excellent optimization.

half life 2 still arguably holds up today to the bare minimum of todays standards.

interesting but how well will a game like this work on k/m

Stilt:

Kids hate cilantro, everyone knows that, and adults love it. That's just common sense.

Oh and the story in Dark souls is great, very nuanced and subtle. Its up to the player to piece it together, fill in the gaps so to speak, overall it makes it one of the best stories in a videogame ever. I wish more games would take a page from FROMsoft and tell their stories like dark souls told theirs, instead of squatting over people and taking an exposition dump on their forehead. Some people tend to like this (FF13 fans), but hey we're all a little bit kinky so i'll refrain from judging

Cilantro tastes like soap to some people.

It's genetics.

Waaghpowa:
Because far too many people are insecure and they display said insecurity by trying to justify their choices and call other people names!

Pretty much yes.

bullet_sandw1ch:

Buretsu:
Finally!

Now someone just needs to release a Mod that makes this game easier, and we'll be all set.

making it easier would be defeating the purpose of the game. the fun of the game is that its so hard, so challenging that it's like having 10 orgasms at once when you defeat a boss (i felt like i had to shower after beating the endless discharge(not a spoiler unless you google it))

It's basically I Wanna Be the Undead Guy. Only completely humorless.

Buretsu:

bullet_sandw1ch:

Buretsu:
Finally!

It's basically I Wanna Be the Undead Guy. Only completely humorless.

my experience with dark souls was so oppressive that i could not smile while i was playing it. take that as you will.

bullet_sandw1ch:
half life 2 still arguably holds up today to the bare minimum of todays standards.

I agree, but Portal 2 is noticeably better visually. When the engine was first used, it didn't have HDR. Half Life: Lost Coast was actually the game that Valve released that first featured it.

Stilt:

totally heterosexual:
Yay a good game on another plaftorm. Everyone is happy.

RIGHT?

Dude you accidentally reported me, I think you meant to report zhukov right?

That was not me though.

Glad to see PC gamers can now enjoy the awesomeness that is Dark Souls. I hope the translated controls work well.

(PS Demon's Souls is still better, they should port that to PC as well :P)

Congrats PC Gamers! Hope Blighttown doesn't chug for you lot!

Edit: Most people already know about this, but if you don't, come on Facebook and help us break down a brick wall that they put on their Facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/darksouls/app_352678381442367

WALL MUST FALL

I haven't really looked much into Dark Souls as it hasn't been available on PC until now apparently.

I may have to watch some console gameplay and make a decision.

Anyone recommend it? What game would you compare Dark Souls too, gameplay wise?

dumbseizure:
Anyone recommend it? What game would you compare Dark Souls too, gameplay wise?

Aside from Demon's Souls, you mean? Can't really think of any. I heard Severance: Blade of Darkness is supposed to have some similarities, I don't have any first-hand experience with it, though.

MrShowerHead:

Aeonknight:
Just a helpful hint. I swear.

Make sure you go to New Londo ruins first.

No, you fool! You musn-

Oh, I mean...yes. YES! That's where you should go at the start. If you keep getting lost, try searching for this narrow bridge made of planks. Good gear there.

Actually, that is a pretty good tip! Go to New Londo, find the blacksmith, purchase soul arrow and the catalyst. Learn that you can reinforce weapons. Then GTFO!

Sweet! I'll look forward to it!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked