That new halo 4 info- Uhh 343.... What are you doing?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

So now even Halo, one of the great competitors to CoD, has dropped to it's knees and joined with the thousands of others faceless titles that feel the need to carve out MW elements and insert them into their own game.

And buying power within the game? Classy move, very classy.

Removing Elites from even just the custom games? Well, Elites would cost an extra couple of bucks to make so they're out.

Oh well. Lucky for me I stopped caring about Halo when Bungie had the dignity to let it's ip rest in peace. Leave it to Microsoft to dig up its decaying corpse and smear some cheap lipstick onto it in an attempt to squeeze out more money until nothing is left but a pile of dust...and shame.

oZode:
Don't get me wrong, I am fine with change. it is just that the names of things make me go, "Really?". Spartan Ops, Spartan Points, Spartan mexican foods, I seriously hope they are just place holders.

Although it is a matter of time before people start calling this game "Halo of duty 4" either way.

I know, this is madness! (hint)

Seriously though, these names suck, but its better than the other crappy names other games have gotten. Can't they just call them "experience points" or "points"?

It will not be as bad as its sounds. It has already been confirmed that certain things like 'random' spawns are not entirely accurate and some aspects of the multiplayer has already changed from that build.

I am actually open to most of it. The thing that bothered me the most was the aspect of "random" spawns which has been debunked. Likely the "random spawns" are likely just making a bigger event of power weapons spawning in. instead of just poofing into existence there might be pods that drop powerweapons that will let new players know that something important just spawned in but the timers and weapon placement is fixed./theory.

As for the "instant respawn" it could have been a number of things. It could have been there was just no normal timer to keep the transition more smooth, it could be it was instant respawn at time of writing and has since changed, or it could also just have been in place to let the GI people get as much actual playtime in as possible.

People just need to be patient and chill.

Other aspects such as Elites, while it would have been nice to have them we have lived without them before. And just because there are no elites doesn't mean that the primary set of enemies in Halo 4 are not playable. Whatever the new enemies are could take the place of Elites in this case. The covies are not the primary enemies and I can't wait to find out what they are going to be.

oZode:
snip

Soooo, the only things you have against it are the names? They seem to be doing pretty good then :P

I happily welcome these changes with open arms. They took the previous idea to its max in reach, so a change is needed to stop it being stale. Those complaining about the spawning? Fuck off, map control and spawn camping is a dick move anyway. Its no fun AT ALL to be on the receiving end of it.

I swear half the users on this site are hipsters. Always complaining about changes, but then complaining when things stay the same. People cant win these days.

Scrapping firefight im fine with too. They took it as far as they could in reach so spartan-ops may be quite cool. Every game has a horde mode now, its not special any more.

My interest in the game has gone up :)

Still buying it. Need to know what happens to chief.

Smeggs:

On the Instant Respawn System: This actually sounds likie it could work nicely. I'm going to assume that it will work much in a way that there are a few key spawn points around the map for team players to respawn at so that the mentioned, "killing you before your shields even recharge," will not happen, unless you were camping inside of the enemy spawn in the first place.

WHICH IN THAT CASE YOU DESERVE IT ANYWAY.

Well said. Cheapest tactic in the book. I despise any gamer who thinks this is a legitimet tactic.

Its a shame that most games still have the whole spawn-kill problem.

I generally don't care about Multiplayer and have had no interest in Halo to date, but decided to check out the article out of curiosity. I'd heard the franchise had been given to a different studio and I prefer not to cut myself off from possible entertainment based on prejudice.

That said, I couldn't get through this article. The grammar was so damned atrocious, I looked at the url to make sure it didn't end with .ru or something similar. The self-defense mechanisms I've built up over the years to preserve my sanity while traversing the internet wastelands kicked in and I automatically closed the tab. I'll wait for more info from better sources before deciding whether or not I want the game.

I'm gonna miss firefight but spartan ops sounds fun.

Kahunaburger:
Well, I clearly see no reasons to believe that 343 represents Microsoft milking Bungie's franchise for all it's worth without adding to it or living up to its legacy. No, siree...

You mean the legacy they killed after the first game when they made the next 6 games utter garbage?

daveman247:

oZode:
snip

Soooo, the only things you have against it are the names? They seem to be doing pretty good then :P

I happily welcome these changes with open arms. They took the previous idea to its max in reach, so a change is needed to stop it being stale. Those complaining about the spawning? Fuck off, map control and spawn camping is a dick move anyway. Its no fun AT ALL to be on the receiving end of it.

I swear half the users on this site are hipsters. Always complaining about changes, but then complaining when things stay the same. People cant win these days.

Scrapping firefight im fine with too. They took it as far as they could in reach so spartan-ops may be quite cool. Every game has a horde mode now, its not special any more.

My interest in the game has gone up :)

I'm usually down with change - I really rather liked Reach. It's my favourite in the series. But. This I don't like. If I wanted 'fast paced', hectic 'run about and die' gameplay, I'd load up MW3. I liked Halo because it rewarded taking your time with it. Instant respawns takes that away. Fighting to claim weapon spawn points was also a major factor, and having random drops drags another slug of skill out of the equation.
Also - Spec Ops is dull. Firefight was a good way to introduce people to the mechanics. But...why not have both?

Or rather. Why not take all of these 'new' and 'innovative' ideas, and put them in an IP of their own, rather than beginning a futile struggle to 'modernise' Halo?

I'll probably buy just to see how the story progresses

Only after I see some reviews from, THE ONE AND ONLY

So I guess it's just the "cool" thing to hate big developers and franchise games these days but... seriously these changes sound good to me. I don't like to see rehashing for sequels so I would hope that with a move to a new studio some things would get mixed up. I'm sure people are going to be just as ridiculous about this Halo title as they were about the third release in the series so I think this will have to be the last Halo 4 thread I even bother looking in.

Thyunda:

I'm usually down with change - I really rather liked Reach. It's my favourite in the series. But. This I don't like. If I wanted 'fast paced', hectic 'run about and die' gameplay, I'd load up MW3. I liked Halo because it rewarded taking your time with it. Instant respawns takes that away. Fighting to claim weapon spawn points was also a major factor, and having random drops drags another slug of skill out of the equation.
Also - Spec Ops is dull. Firefight was a good way to introduce people to the mechanics. But...why not have both?

Or rather. Why not take all of these 'new' and 'innovative' ideas, and put them in an IP of their own, rather than beginning a futile struggle to 'modernise' Halo?

Your allowed to have your opinion. but i would hardly call COD "fast paced" Its a camp-fest!

And i hardly see how memorising spawn points takes an iota of skill. Anybody can do that, and it is cheap in my opinion :/

Yay, i cant win because the other team are camping the rocket launcher -.-

This at least gives a team a chance to scrape some points back.

If a player is REALLY skilled, they should be able to win with whatever equipment they have. And not have to rely on power weapons to win.

Urg, random weapon drops? That sucks dick. I suck at Halo, but I never complain that people know where the weapons are. It takes like 2 games to know where they are...

It does sound quite awful, yes.

I'm a bit of a Halo fanboy though, with my elitist opinion of 'original campaign is best rawr' but it does sound quite awful.

Don't get me wrong. I like change. I just don't like change that caters to generic.

SajuukKhar:

Kahunaburger:
Well, I clearly see no reasons to believe that 343 represents Microsoft milking Bungie's franchise for all it's worth without adding to it or living up to its legacy. No, siree...

You mean the legacy they killed after the first game when they made the next 6 games utter garbage?

What is so bad about the following games? I thought they were great.

And here we go again. Can you people not hate something? Like, are you capable of feeling anything toward a new game other than hate? I mean, it's not like you should love everything that comes out but you're all "ZOMG SPARTAN POINTS HALO'S LEGACY IS RUINED FOREVER".

daveman247:

Thyunda:

Your allowed to have your opinion. but i would hardly call COD "fast paced" Its a camp-fest!

And i hardly see how memorising spawn points takes an iota of skill. Anybody can do that, and it is cheap in my opinion :/

Yay, i cant win because the other team are camping the rocket launcher -.-

This at least gives a team a chance to scrape some points back.

If a player is REALLY skilled, they should be able to win with whatever equipment they have. And not have to rely on power weapons to win.

I planned ambushes and pincer-attacks on people camping spawn points. It made the enemy predictable, since they'd have one eye on the spawn and not really expecting the sudden avalanche of pain I bring onto them.

And of course we're all allowed opinions. Everything said is an opinion unless it's obnoxiously wrong.

I haven't seen many campers in CoD...but I play Hardcore Kill Confirmed - can't camp to win. Gotta get them dog tags.

It's not a whole lot of information, but to be honest I think most of it sounds pretty bad.

Firefight was cool. We don't need some potentially lameass story driven mode instead, we already have the campaign. While there are some who like it, how many people want to have their coop game crammed full of story related fluff and a specific plotline anyway?
Man, this was one of the reasons Halo multiplayer was so great. You didn't need to worry about story crap, you just jumped in and shot up a bunch of dudes for wearing a different colour, often resulting in damn good fun. Now it seems they want story to seep through every part of the game, multiplayer too.
Crap, maybe it'd be like spawning in a wall in Forge and then having a big text window come up and detail that particular type of wall's history.

Forerunner vision? Aside from sounding stupid it'll be OP as hell. Sneaking will be rendered useless. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some sort of railgun type thing they'll put in the game that can one hit kill through walls to go along with it, and I'll bet it can see cloaked players too.

Spartan points? Seriously? Are they going to do that thing where they give stuff in their game silly names pertaining to other stuff in the game to try and make it sound cooler and original?

Why Reds and Blues fight, this is completely retarded. So the UNSC has the technology and capability to replicate a combat situation virtually down to the last detail but for decades got their ASSES handed to them by an alien empire primarily armed with laughably ineffective weapons and vehicles, lead by dumbasses and whose military forces are mostly comprised of stupid midgets?
Also why are they fighting each other? Seeing as there's only what, a few hundred million humans left, you'd think the UNSC would consider the real potential future threat to be the Flood/Covenant/Alien whatever. When you think about it, it would make more sense for the SIV's to fight against non-human enemies, which would mean that a VR Firefight type mode which the Spartan's fight aliens in would make perfect sense!

Random weapon spawns? The worst of the lot. I don't think anyone even needs to explain how horrid this will be.

Instant respawn? Bad, considering the absolute suckyness of Halo's spawns.

Join games in progress? This would be great if it weren't for how Halo multiplayer matches are and have always been designed. They'll have to revamp the entire matchmaking system for it to work well.

None of these issues are exactly game breakers for me personally, but if they've already messed up this much stuff how much stuff will they ultimately mess up in the finished game? I think I'll wait for a couple more trailers.

I defended it in the other thread as I hadn't read about the features they were putting in. Crap.

To be fair, Spec Ops sounds quite good, along with sprint as a standard function, but the rest sounds absolutely terrible.

SajuukKhar:

Kahunaburger:

Hey, man, I know you're sad about the loss of the sniper pistol, but it's time had come :)

Thyunda:

And of course we're all allowed opinions. Everything said is an opinion unless it's obnoxiously wrong.

I haven't seen many campers in CoD...but I play Hardcore Kill Confirmed - can't camp to win. Gotta get them dog tags.

Haha i know. Just covering my ass. Too many people jump on me when i disagree with them.

daveman247:
-snip-

If you're going to change all the core mechanics of a game, use a new IP. You can say change is good but when it drastically reduces the number of players of a 'previous' game because it's apparently a successor, where do you go to play that kind of game? Nowhere, because the identity of that IP has been lost.

Reach was a step in the wrong direction, and this is a huge fall that same way.

Fisher321:
I knew this would happen, Halo was awesome until Reach. Too much game-play changes, just relaunch Halo 2 and that's the only game I will ever need..

i may be wrong, but people like you are why companies are afraid to change their games(well, people like you and money).you rely on nostalgia, but in reality, halo 2's gameplay is outdated and stiff (like cods). reach was a breath of fresh air in a semi-stagnating series, even if the changes werent huge, and even if it didnt capture the magic of halo 1 and 3 (IMO halo 2's campaign was ruined by the arbiters missions).

Honestly the only thing that truly bothers me is no Elites. I mean wtf is this noise? Seriously. I have zero ambition to play as a spartan. If they want to replace elites, Ok, but replacing them with.... spartans is unacceptable. I think we should all get together and organize a charitable event to protest these changes to the franchise, because 343 is messing it all up and Halo deserved a better 4th installment than what this proposes.

lets see, 343 is really the same heads as bungie, and this news is coming from some website i know not of, and no word of it on rooster teeth...

i call bullshit.

They needed to make the game closer to H3 rather than Reach, and they failed that quite miserably. Also the genocide of skill gap continues its rampancy (H1>2>3>R).

This is going to be Call of Duty: Halo.

I might buy it second hand to play campaign, but if I hear that the Flood returned, I am not even going to do that. I will just play Halo 1 and 3.

TheBobmus:

daveman247:
-snip-

If you're going to change all the core mechanics of a game, use a new IP. You can say change is good but when it drastically reduces the number of players of a 'previous' game because it's apparently a successor, where do you go to play that kind of game? Nowhere, because the identity of that IP has been lost.

Reach was a step in the wrong direction, and this is a huge fall that same way.

Thats rather melodramatic... A few spawn options changes and suddenly its a whole new game? Riiiight.

And halo reach has just as many players as ever, so im not sure where you are going with that.

If liking this kind of stuff makes me a Call of Duty scrub then screw it, I'm a long time Halo fan and I actually like some of these ideas.

CVG is oldschool and legit for those doubting its credentials.

As for Halo 4, I'm really surprised with this direction. After the success that was Halo CE Anniversary I thought 343 would be looking to recapture the vibe of earlier games not COD and reducing the skill ceiling even further. As this thread and the other one demonstrates though, there are quite a few who rather prefer mindless, low skill multiplayer games so it may be the correct financial choice if it steals COD fans.

Kahunaburger:

SajuukKhar:

Kahunaburger:

Hey, man, I know you're sad about the loss of the sniper pistol, but it's time had come :)

Na I hated the pistol myself.

It was how god-awful the story/characters/level design became after the first game, that and Halo made 2 weapon limits and regen health popular, such BS.

Cortana went from being cool to "lets give her bigger boobs and maker her more stupid" each game.

At least they were able to salvage something decent with the books.

SajuukKhar:
that and Halo made 2 weapon limits and regen health popular, such BS.

Is that not the fault of the devs who aped that aspect into their games and not the fault of the game that started it?

The lack of elites is a matter of concern for me. I'll be softly weeping in the corner if anyone needs me.

fozzy360:

SajuukKhar:
that and Halo made 2 weapon limits and regen health popular, such BS.

Is that not the fault of the devs who aped that aspect into their games and not the fault of the game that started it?

It is the cause of the cause and thus the root cause of the problem. They could have stuck with the good stuff but they didn't.

that and I really cant forgive how badly the messed up Cortana, she could have been Durendal level good but instead they ruined it.

Yeah, Halo is moving more in the Call of Duty direction. Not necessarily bad as long as these elements are properly implemented. We'll just need to see how the game feels once they release it. As long as it still feels like a Halo game, I will be satisfied. I like the fact people can join mid-game. When someone leaves a match the balances gets totally messed up. 343 seems like they are putting a lot of effort into this game, let's hope it shows.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked