How would YOU have ended Mass Effect 3?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

(This is going to be my last Mass Effect 3 thread! I'm sick to the back teeth by it!)

We all know that Mass Effect 3's ending has made gaming history, for good or for bad, and we all know that Bioware are not going to change Mass Effect 3's ending. So I ask those fans who do not consider the current ME3 ending to be the best possible: How would you have ended Mass Effect 3?

...What? Nobody had any ideas? :D

Quite simple really.I have kept everything the same up to the point where the Catalyst gives you the 3 options.Then I would have had an option for Shepard to go "You know what fuck this shit.These choices are absolute bollocks.We'll take our chances in a straight up fight instead".Then depending on your EMS rating you could have a choice of outcomes including *gasp* a happy one.I don't see what's so wrong with a happy ending to be perfectly honest

What I said in another post.

ChromaticWolfen:
When the crucible is activated it sends out a signal that disables Reaper higher functions such as shielding and weapons. This is only a secondary use. Its primary is to override the Reapers Mass Effect core forcing them to go through the Mass Effect Relays and sending them into the galactic gore. I don't mean "collectors sweet spot" galactic core, I mean the bloody center of it all. Reapers are ripped apart by black holes, disintegrated by exploding suns and sometimes, because I want the bastards to "suffer" as much as possible, the relays make two or more Reapers appear in the exact same spot. For a moment it looks like they are merged then the laws of physics catch up as they fall apart by occupying the same space.

There are of course still surviving Reaper and Cerberus forces that must be dealt with but for the most of it there is galactic peace, depending on decisions made, and everyone can rest knowing giant space monsters won't be killing anyone any time soon.

I woud have completely rewritten the catalyst conversation. I'm writing my own ending right now.
I'll tell you what I wouldn't have done, I wouldn't have made the ending by myself, and then published it without double checking it and seeing what the rest of the team thought.

Shepard going back to Eden Prime as the sun sets and laying flowers where Jenkins died in ME1. It would have been perfect.

The Crucible turns out to be not a conventional weapon, but a transmitter that can transmit a shut down program to every Reaper. With the Reapers turned off, everyone has a chance to salvage their tech and advance. Everyone is happy. Garrus and I enjoy a few brewskiis as we watch Harbinger getting dismantled before us.

ok il be bacl in a few minutes, because i would personally rewrite the entire earth sequence myself, (definately the last 10 minutes though)

(the following is not realistic in relation to the amount of money/tiem bioware likely had to make the game and is my own fantasy on how it should have gone and would do it given the money time and people) also this will be long and im not putting a TL;DR in it, learn to read

first of all i would have divided the war assets in to two pools, war assests proper which would be you fleets and armies for war. and Crucible completion, this would be engineering teams and what not to build the crucible itself. and the illusive man was at the cerberus base and is ether dead or in custody

now here to Two citadel sequence endings ive come up with

'Shepard did everything right' - Miranda Lawson, ME2. If there's one thing that shat me about the ending, it's that I kept hearing that line over and over in my head. 'I did everything right, I united the galaxy, I have everything down to and including toddlers with BB guns aimed at these damn things and now it's all for nothing? I can end this not through my own herculean actions, but purely because it amuses the Starchild to do so? Suspension of disbelief = shattered.'

Whilst I can appreciate the need to have a 'bittersweet' (You keep using that word, Mr. Hudson, I do not think it means what you think it means.) ending to the story, and more importantly, tie off Shepard's story, I didn't think it needed to be SO bleak, or be solved by Deus Ex Machina.

What I would do = Retcon the damn Starchild. Turn the crucible back into a giant (nonsentient) can of reaper-b-gone. TIM dies, you and Anderson have your bro moment, Anderson dies, Hackett does his 'y my weapon no werk' transmission. Shep crawls over and does the 'I can't... It's not here...' thing. And HERE's where your choices matter.

1)If you completely fucked your war assets, Shepard dies against that control panel. A valiant attempt, but not enough.

You see cutscenes of your various forces, including the normandy crew, being crushed one by one.

Harbinger rounds on the normandy, Joker is sitting in the cockpit, teeth clenched as he goes for one last shot.

Harbinger speaks. "You have proven surprisingly resiliant. But you have failed, as we said you would have. Embrace your destruction."

Boom goes the Normandy, Reapers win, cycle continues, better luck in 50k years.

2)If you got a reasonable amount of war assets, but short of [arbitrary_value.cls], you see the majority of your crew/forces getting smashed, but one eventually manages to transmit something like "SHEPARD! We're not giving up on you, don't you give up on us!" Which galvanizes Shep to pull himself up on the panel.

By chance he hits a switch which causes a device similar to a prothean beacon to extend from the centre of the panel. WHAM! Brain scramble time.

Billions of calculations run across shep's eyes as the Catalyst uses Shepard's brain to calculate a firing solution.

A final pulse knocks him away from the beacon and he hits the floor with a sickening thud. Through eyes beginning to drift closed, he sees the energy-pulse building in the citadel arms, then releasing with a silent concussion.

As it hits the first reaper, he smiles slightly, seeming to relax as it seems to implode into component compounds. Cut to earth, some buildings are damaged by the pulse, lots of people killed by the shockwave. Cut back to Shep, as he breathes his last. "We did it", he whispers, before collapsing into death. Fade to black.

Fade back up to a salvage team entering the room with the bodies of you and Anderson. If you have an LI who was not killed during the battle or in ME2, they are with this team. They react to your body in an appropriate fashion for their character. IE Tali is a crying mess, Jack is swearing through the tears, Garrus does a Saren-esque turian roar and scoops your lifeless form to him, etc. If Kahlee Sanders was rescued from Grissom, she similarly reacts to Anderson, whispering "I told you to stay alive".

There is a memorial service on Normandy/Arcturus/Citadel/whatever. Admiral Hackett is reading a eulogy about sacrifice and unity and all that other awesome moving shit. The camera pans out to show all of your surviving squaddies, the council, and a few other (random?) NPCs who you interacted with. Your coffin is lowered into what seems to be a grave, the camera then pans out to show the exterior space view. A puff of crystalized air is seen from the ship as your coffin sails out towards the Mass Relay, the arc hits it, and your body hurtles off into the unknown...

3) Your EMS is Golden - Similar to 2, though your troops are clearly owning ass. Triumphant music sounds as we see our Krogan smashing through brutes, Asari Commandos ripping Banshees apart, and Rachni zergrushing across the field, their song loud and clear... One of your squaddies (I see Garrus because he's the penultimate bro) radios up to Shepard, "We've got them held here Shepard, now finish these bastards off!". Once again, Shep pulls himself up, Beacon Brainfry, pulse heads out, we see Harbinger RUNNING LIKE A BITCH towards the mass relay going 'NO! THIS CANNOT BE!' as we hear fear in a Reaper's voice for the first time. Joker's hot on his ass, Thanix Cannon and Crucible pulse hit simultaneously, Blowing Harbinger to shit.

This time, when the salvage crew come through, your eyes crack open when your LI enters, you get the 'At least I got to see you one last time' opportunity for a bit more closing dialogue... Maybe Liara/Ash/Jack admit they're pregnant or something... (sorry talimancers, your waifu is still a dextro) Either way, you die in their arms, it's all very moving. Roll eulogy, Coffin through the relay, credits.

In 2 and 3 your surviving squaddies get a short text epilogue outlining what they did afterwards during the credits, as do the major players (IE, how your actions affected the major races and what they had to do to rebuild/lol extinct).

And THAT, Mr Hudson, is how you do a motherfucking A B C ending without it looking like one.

Well, since they were all downer endings, I wouldn't change them. Not having played, maybe I don't get an opinion, but the moral is that there are things we can't change even with our most tremendous effort. This is one of those times. Accept it.

Pfheonix:
Well, since they were all downer endings, I wouldn't change them. Not having played, maybe I don't get an opinion, but the moral is that there are things we can't change even with our most tremendous effort. This is one of those times. Accept it.

Mine are all relative downer endings too. Notice how I don't Ball up the narrative cohesion that has been built up over 2.95 games and toss it in the shitter, before changing the primary Antagonist in an arbitrary deus ex machina shift which leaves everything you've done null and void?

How I would have ended it:

Right after Illusive Man has Shepard shoot Anderson, I would have Illusive Man get RIGHT UP IN SHEPARDS FACE...and then have them make out on camera for like 15 minutes. And I'm talking like full-on tongue making out. And then midway in it, the camera cuts to black. And as the credits start to roll, a pink pony in a tutu walks out in front of the credits and sings "My Heart Will Go On" By Celine Dion.

and then once the credits roll, a message pops up.

We Don't OWE you anything. -Bioware.

I'd do it in a very similar way to Timmibal, the crucible being a super-weapon and depending on how much resource you get into it you can fire pulses through the mass relays into a number of systems. You get the option of one more if you sacrifice Sheperd and everyone on board. Then your fleet gets pitched against the remainder of Reaper forces, depending on your military strength the remaining reapers might still wipe out all life if you make a total hash of things or remaining systems getting wiped out if you have a middling military strength. Getting the super-happy save the universe and everyone gets to live ending would require a perfect save from previous games, including some contrary and less than obvious actions. Far more of your military strength would come from actions such as saving the Rachni queen and not destroying the Reaper base than doing chores in ME3 so if you got everything right you wouldn't have to be completely fastidious in doing every sidequest.

I would have given Shepard the option to call in a couple thousand Star Destroyers, Super Star Destroyers, and a Death Star or two.

A better idea would be for Bioware to hire Neil Gaiman and have him write the ending.

i feel this applys

cause... yea

Pfheonix:

Yes, the moral here is that you can't change some things, though one of the running themes is that you have changed things, and that your choices impact the ending.

Man, I hate those whiny, entitled crybabies who expect the ending to match the themes of the series.

By the way, things DO change with these endings, so I think you missed the point entirely.

in the worst way possible.
MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHASAHHHASHASHHSHSJJKSKJL!

Kill everyone.

If you're going to make a cycle of destruction on a galactic scale stick to it. Make the theme fighting against inevitable destruction rather than the standard, "scrappy" underdogs win the day.

You could even still make the EMS score factor in via the closing cinematic. With a low EMS score, the Reapers just kill everything and go back through the Citadel to Dark Space. With an average to high, the same thing happens, but show the Reapers getting bloodied (figuratively speaking) so fewer Reapers are left to return. With a Maximum EMS make the war incredibly costly for the Reapers so a bare handful are left to return. Essentially, make this a war they will never forget and may never recover from.

You can even include the choices you made. For example, you could show a Quarian and Geth squad making a stand together. Or show some Krogan showing up to rescue a Turian battalion, etc.

Everyone is going to die, but how they go down is up to how the player played the games. That gives a much different emotion. It's the difference between "We're all going to die" and "We may all die, but we're going to beat the shit out of you before we do." Even though the galaxy (and the player) is destroyed, they go down fighting.

On a similar note, you could even make the last gameplay segment be a Reach-esque last stand with the entire crew (though only controlling the standard squad), that way you get to see the crew go down together.

I honestly think this is the only ending that makes sense with the story (at least that I've seen). The Reapers are unbeatable. Simple as that. They're too big, too powerful, and too numerous for the civilizations to stand up to. Anything that is capable of defeating the Reapers is going to feel contrived and silly (*cough*Catalyst*cough*). Let the story play out to it's natural conclusion, but let the player go down fighting.

I'd simply give different choices, which result in different outcomes based on the choices that accumulate up. Some of the outcomes would be positive (reapers gone, universe fine), others less so. But the consequences would have to be connected to the actions in a believble way.

And they would have to be quite different indeed.

Everyone is going to die, but how they go down is up to how the player played the games. That gives a much different emotion. It's the difference between "We're all going to die" and "We may all die, but we're going to beat the shit out of you before we do." Even though the galaxy (and the player) is destroyed, they go down fighting.

That'd be an AWESOME ending for a game. I'd love an ending like this.

Tali, or whatever her name is, takes off her mask (or helmet?) and it is Chuck Norris. Same way I'd end Halo. Just because the fans of both those games annoy me so much, that it would be hilarious to make the whole series a joke.

Moth_Monk:
(This is going to be my last Mass Effect 3 thread! I'm sick to the back teeth by it!)

We all know that Mass Effect 3's ending has made gaming history, for good or for bad, and we all know that Bioware are not going to change Mass Effect 3's ending. So I ask those fans who do not consider the current ME3 ending to be the best possible: How would you have ended Mass Effect 3?

I didnt have that serious of problem with the endings, save for the glaringly obvious plot holes that exist with each. So I would keep the two of the three original endings (Synthesis still doesnt make sense), but have them modified, and have the starchild actually be a fuax avatar of Harbringer, trying to convince shepard to make the choices that would benefit the reapers (like what they were doing with TIM.) I would also have a refuse option added.

The EMS rating would affect the three endings:

throughout shepard is occasionally reffered to as you because i made a continuioty error and because this isnt a bioware game i shouldnt have to come over it changing all of them

shepard wakes from indoctrination, harbringers laser eye shifts down onto shepard when a shit tonne of fighters fly up to harbringer because for the wake up ending u need high ems anyway. shepard stumbles into the citadel along with some troops brought in to try another push with harbringer out of the way and possibly shepards squad. then basically the mass effect 1 citadel end fight making it come full circle like almost everything else did with everything revolving around the citadel. i mean think about it both have a beam that transport u to the citadel so why dont you come out in the same place and in both ur trying to reach the central citadel control so the getting there should be quite similar and if you notice the beam never hit shepard so he could be in perfect physical condition and was just mentally out of it during his indoctrinated struggle. then after fighting through even more reaper forces either you alone or you and your team make it to the other end of the citadel where you activate the legs.

then the crucible reaches the citadel an then emmits a signal deactivating all the reapers, going through the mass relays but not destroying them and destroying the crucible (not the citadel), the explosion kills shepard, shepard and squad, squad, or none of the above depending on certain choices or ems (crucible related ems). afterwards you see the survivors rebuilding earth (all the races that didnt die) and the krogan rebelling (if wreav in charge and no eve) followed by fall of surkesh or krogan based on whether genophage cured or them helping earth if wrex around or them buggering off if wreav in charge and eve alive (or fall of krogan if eve around no genophage cure), then see rachni rebuilding damaged part of citadel crucible attached to (if alive) and quarians/geth rebuilding the ships lost or them being already restored if both alive and the council giving a small speech from destiny asscention or people rejoicing on alliance fleets as well as 'new London' being powered by human reaper from ME2 or all of earth being powered by it,and u see a broad combover of earth which looks better if EMS was higher and if over 7000 looks almost unharmed (except for the lack of humans and ships/reapers littering the planet)

Finally, at the very end you, the memorial scene given by Hackett for all those that fell during the war followed by a personal one for all the VIPs of the game with either a statue of shepard along with the names of his fallen crew on their on monuments or the monuments with shepard standing there arm around his/hers partner staring at the monuments while hacket/anderson gives speech or alternatively puts flowers or something meaningful to the character by their monument (the rock from rannoch on talis etc) before standing there are and tearing up (if paragon), standing there looking up (if neutral) and walking off (renegade) and then cut to credits

would keep other endings as failure to recover from indoctrination

would also show surviving VIPs at funeral each giving eulogy at shepards momorial or saying a few words at the general memorial.

I personally would have changed the entire last game. I would have had the reapers arrive at earth only in the last mission though working their way through the galaxy towards it throughout the game. Then in the final mission, no matter how prepared you were and no matter what choices you made and how high your readiness was, have the reapers come in to the sol system, completely wreck the fleet and have the final mission be you and all of your surviving squad mates fighting off increasing numbers of enemies and reapers around the wreckage of the Normandy until you all die.
Reapers win. End of trilogy.

I would have done this for a few reasons:
1). In Mass Effect 1 a single reaper almost completely wrecked the entire fleet of ships and you're now facing tonns of them.
2). It doesn't make much sense that we are able to defeat the reapers when hundreds if not thousands have already been destroyed by them.
3). It would make a nice point about inevitability while being a great big middle finger to everyone else.

Sure it would be annoying but if they ended a trilogy like this then they would get a lot of respect just for having the guts to do it and would probably be the best (or at least the most unexpected) ending of all time.
(For similar reasons I feel Harry Potter should have ended with Voldemort winning)

Hmm...

Yes, that really is the "short version". Honestly, there are a lot of things I'd change about ME if I had the power, even way back in the first game, if only to accommodate properly how my FemShep would act in the given situation. In terms the game itself, I "went red" and it that regard the ending did everything I needed it to. Sure it wasn't quite how I envisioned it, but my FemShep set out with the explicit goal of fucking Reaper shit up, and Reaper shit got fucked up.

Simple version that could have been fixed up in a few days.

Keep stuff the same (minus the black tendrils obvious 'indoctrination' stuff) until Anderson & Shepard are bleeding on the citadel.

Then a wave goes off, destroying the reapers (and just the reapers), Shepard dies seeing the victory of the cause.

There is a very long montage/wrap-up Fallout style, going over all the major choices you made and their outcomes, voiced over by the important characters or the closest ones to a particular cause.

Were a Paragon, cured the Genophage, & Wrex & Eve (forget her real name)& Grunt lived? You get a voiceover by Mordin speaking with pride of how the Krogan turned over a new leaf and became a valuable part of galactic society.

Were a renegade and had the Genophage not cured but covered it up? A voiceover by Mordin still, speaking with sadness of how the Krogan's struggled on.
---

Stuff like that for as many major decisions/characters as could be done. (I you gave me a day or two I could prob do a whole list but I don't feel like it at the moment)
----

Strap an antimatter nuke to my chest and lure all the Reapers to me by insulting their mothers. Press red button, game over.

Two words: Dance party. When Shep kills marauder shields and makes it to the beam to Citadel, he finds that he is trapped in a disco room. The Illusive Man, who traveled through a mini-mass relay, like in ME1, is there also. Shep finds out from him that they have to have a dance fight, and whoever wins can do whatever they want with the reapers. The choices you made in the game come into play here, with friends coming to help you with the dance off. So, if you saved the krogan, a krogan conga-line comes to help you, or something. Once the dance mini-game is done, you destroy the reapers and save the galaxy, while retiring to a beach with your LI, before another threat requires your attention. You then take off your cool shades and say some cool line, or whatever, then fly off for more adventures.

So, what do you all think of my ending? Pretty sweet, right? :D

There would be an "End-of-Everything"-ending. By Shepards choice, none of the civilizations deserve to survive. Cycle begins again. The original choices lacked this option all-together, which was sad for my ultimate bastard Shepard.

Elamdri:
How I would have ended it:

Right after Illusive Man has Shepard shoot Anderson, I would have Illusive Man get RIGHT UP IN SHEPARDS FACE...and then have them make out on camera for like 15 minutes. And I'm talking like full-on tongue making out. And then midway in it, the camera cuts to black. And as the credits start to roll, a pink pony in a tutu walks out in front of the credits and sings "My Heart Will Go On" By Celine Dion.

and then once the credits roll, a message pops up.

We Don't OWE you anything. -Bioware.

In that case we don't owe you any money -customers.

I had written a new ending, but it's not as good as most posted here. In short:
-More impact of your decisions.
-Show your war assets.
-No retard god child.
-Shepard will likely die. (Though I'd like a possibility to live)
-It's never a happy ending as any way you slice it the galaxy is in ruins.
-Hackett needs to give a speech.

I would get rid of "The Arrival" and rewrite everything from there so the story makes more sense.

Pfheonix:

Accept Shepard can live through:
1. Getting hit by a beam that would tear down a battleship
2. Getting shot in the shoulder
3. Bleeding for the 10 minutes between the beam and making the choice
4. Choosing the Destroy option, which causes a machine to blow up int Shepard's face
5. The Cidadel(which Shepard is on) explodes
6. Reentry into Earth's atmosphere
7. Hitting the ground
8. The fact that the Destroy option is supposed to break the many implants in Shepard's body

How does he live? Answer: a high EMS!

That is right, Shepard can survive if you have a bunch of people with guns somewhere shooting at things. Except no tank rolls in front of Shep to take most of the beam damage, nobody dives in front of him to take the shot, he doesn't find medigel to patch himself up on the body of fallen soldier.

I would have been fine with all sad endings or mostly sad endings and one where you can just have your allies blow the Reapers away. What they did is an incomprehensible cop out just before people who never played the game start making generalizations and begin talking about artistic integrity(I know you didn't Pfheonix, just adding in other people).

Also, it would have had something to do WITH THE DECISIONS YOU MADE THROUGH OUT THE THREE GAMES

One Epic Phail:
snip

i had something wittier for the end the just 'yeah', but i forgot it :/

Lunar Templar:

One Epic Phail:
snip

i had something wittier for the end the just 'yeah', but i forgot it :/

It's cool

I love egoraptor :D

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked