Has Halo been forever ruined?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I guess if you like everything being changed to the Call of Duty style of multiplayer and gameplay, it's alright.

Just to simply milk the cash cow that is first person shooters right now, instead of being innovative. Halo 4 will essentially be a re-skin of Reach. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, people are stupid enough to fork out $64 every year for a re-skinned game then do it. The original halos were all about being competitive, trying to be the best. Making maps balanced, making the playing field pretty even. Instead, the maps are horrible, the ranking system is gone, and the game is horribly unbalanced.

There is literally no replay value to Halo anymore, because there isn't a hard goal to achieve. Getting a higher rank in Halo 2 was hard as hell, Halo 3 was still difficult but not nearly as hard. If you take away goals that people can't achieve, or it's very hard to achieve. Then the game is nothing more than the copy and paste shit that is Call of Duty. CoD isn't a horrible game to play, it just can't hold my attention span because it is stupid easy.

15th prestige? Holy hell, I have to play a few extra months than CoDMW2 LOL

Opinions?

Sounds like you're talking about the multiplayer, which I don't care about that much - I mean, it's great fun to run round blasting people with my iTunes library on shuffle in the background, but I've never been very competitive.

Yes.

Did you see the leaks from that magazine? Instant respawns, a perk that lets you see through walls, powerful weapons drop on the map in random position, class loadouts....

Its just not Halo anymore. Halo is dead.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Yes.

Did you see the leaks from that magazine? Instant respawns, a perk that lets you see through walls, powerful weapons drop on the map in random position, class loadouts....

Could you provide a source for this? I hope it isnt like call of duty :( Reach was great.

unless they screw up the sp i won't care mp isn't something i'm into

daveman247:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Yes.

Could you provide a source for this? I hope it isnt like call of duty :( Reach was great.

http://www.evilsourcegaming.com/screenshot/halo-4-game-informer-scans-reveal-multiplayer-details/

Never heard of the website previous to this, but the scans seem pretty legit.

The best part is that we haven't seen them in action.

While I still believe it is stupid to get rid of somethings, let's be cautious but not freak out until we actually get to play.

One Epic Phail:

Just to simply milk the cash cow that is first person shooters right now, instead of being innovative. Halo 4 will essentially be a re-skin of Reach. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, people are stupid enough to fork out $64 every year for a re-skinned game then do it.
?

How about we all calm down and wait for actual gameplay.

Also, Reach was the best Halo game, it wasn't a reskin and you are acting a little crazy

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

http://www.evilsourcegaming.com/screenshot/halo-4-game-informer-scans-reveal-multiplayer-details/

Never heard of the website previous to this, but the scans seem pretty legit.

Hm, false alarm, the changes look good to me. The only thing that looks call of duty-ish is the spartan ops, which is no bad thing. Spec-ops was easily the best part about COD (I dislike the game much but i must give credit for that.)

Random weapon spawns seem good to me. No more players just memorising and rushing for the power weapons. Makes it more fair i think.

Having sprint all the time was a request by many (including me). It seemed silly to have sprint count as a special ability, seems good to me.

And seeing through walls is ALWAYS badass, as long as it isn't over powered.

Seems good to me so far :)

One Epic Phail:

Opinions?

Wait, so your saying reach was ruined because they changed the ranking system? I'm sorry but before it was just silly. Having to win several games in a row to make it go up only to lose once and then it goes back down again. Just stupid.

If this is the only thing you have against it, i fail to see why you made a topic about it. Most games have a ranking system like this now, so i dont see the problem.

Games reads great to me so far, just gotta see some gameplay first...

daveman247:
Random weapon spawns seem good to me. No more players just memorising and rushing for the power weapons. Makes it more fair i think.

So basically, you want everyone to do well without actually being good at the game.

Everything wrong with modern FPS.

One Epic Phail:

Just to simply milk the cash cow that is first person shooters right now, instead of being innovative.

Sadly, this is something thatīs rather common today. This is a serious problem that we have to deal with because it will most likely just get more and more common in the future.

To me Halo has been dead since Halo 3. ODST and Reach were good games, but they didnīt deliver the classic Halo atmosphere.

I'm scared. I'm even more scared when people think that some of these ideas are good.

Random weapon spawns is a terrible idea and goes against what Halo is. Halo has been all about using teamwork to gain map control, getting the best positions and weapons. Wether or not teamwork is present the biggest variable of the game is player skill. Knowing when where and how to get a weapon doesn't alway translate into actually getting the weapon. The best fights are usually the ones over power weapons because the direction the match takes is dependent on these battles. These weapons were never placed in in positions that deliberately favored one team, and if they did there were often two copies of that weapon, one for each team.

The whole balance of the game formula will be ruined depending on how this is handled.

Instant re-spawns is another stupid idea. I can't think of any multiplayer game besides CoD with fast re-spawn rates. So now people who worked for their kills are faced with the prospect of getting mobbed a just after their shields recover. This will just artificially speed up the gameplay without adding anything new to the game. So what if you get spawn camped, its cause you are facing some one better than you, suck it up and get better. I'd say maybe about thirty of the eight hundred matches I have logged in Halo 3 were horrendous one sided spawn camp fests. It happens but it is a legitimate tactic because like it or not, you are just being outplayed.

Explaining multiplayer is just dumb, but I can deal with that.

Eliminating Firefight is a bad idea. It was far from perfect but way more could have been added to it ,now it get scraped. I am intrigued by the spartan ops, I just hope they change the name and do some thing worth while.

If 343 is going to deviate from the core mechanics of the franchise then it should have its own name, not Halo

Seeing as it's a popular FPS that lots of people like, it's been dead to most people on this website ever since it came out.

I'm cautiously optimistic. They've said they're redoing all the sounds, graphics, etc, and they will be trying really hard to live up to the sort of expectations the first trilogy has set. And anyway, they haven't completed it yet, so shouldn't it be "is halo being forever ruined" instead?

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

So basically, you want everyone to do well without actually being good at the game.

Thats a matter of perspective. sure, memorising and rushing weapon spawns takes great skill -.- Its the one thing that annoyed me in previous halo games, so im glad its being changed. Nothing worse than players just rushing for the rocket launcher. This why its more down to luck. There will still be skill with the moment to moment combat im sure :)

Dansen:
snip

I disagree. Then you get players who just wait at the weapon spawns all game, silliness. I believe this may keep the players moving at least, as long as it is done correctly.

As for saying being spawn killed is just because "you are being outplayed". Thats just stupid. Wow, they found out where the team spawns and now all they have to do is spam grenades in there before anyone gets a chance to move. GREAT SKILL. They are cheap tactics, nothing more.

I also think that halo isnt defined by weapon spawns and team spawn placement :P

Not being aggressive, just strongly disagree :)

Pretty sure that article is bullshit anyway, It told a little too much stuff that pissed me off.

Random weapon spawns sounds lame... Otherwise, if true, this is not such bad news. Sprint, new abilities, joining in-progress games, those sound pretty good. If anything, I wish they would make more drastic changes. Halo multiplayer has not changed a whole lot since Combat Evolved, about a decade ago. Reach went in the right direction, I'm optimistic that H4 will go even further.

I read the leak and the article today for the first time.......

Terminate421:

Also, Reach was the best Halo game, it wasn't a reskin and you are acting a little crazy

Obviously going to be opinionated, like this thread

Considering Halo died for me after the first one with how 2 was god-awful, 3 made it worse, Halo Wars was shamefully poor, ODSt was only slightly better then Wars, and Halo Reach was a last ditch attempt to return the series to something that resembled 1 but with leaving out all the things that made Halo 1 good....... Halo has been ruined for me for a long time already.

but, you haven't played it yet. How do you know there is no replay value? how do you know it's unbalanced and etc.??

Question is halo forever ruined because some leaked info for a game looked bad
short answer no
long answer NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,
and stop overeating if you like the old halo games go back and play them (hell i still own my halo 3 copy), no one is forcing you to buy and play the new ones

k3v1n:
but, you haven't played it yet. How do you know there is no replay value? how do you know it's unbalanced and etc.??

you hush with your damnable logic sir! This is the internet, if we don't rage every time the slightest bit of preview news comes out for a big title then the Mayans have won! We must rage I tell you! RRRRRAAAAAAGGGGEEE!!

OT: I personally will be withholding judgement until I see it in action

Saying that it's a reskinned 'cod'ified Halo: Reach is extremely unfair. I reckon 343 truly does have their own idea for how they want their game to be and are willing to try some things differently. It appears to be the exact opposite of an intentional CoD clone while still being Halo.

However that said, so far I disagree with these changes immensely.

daveman247:

Dansen:
snip

I disagree. Then you get players who just wait at the weapon spawns all game, silliness. I believe this may keep the players moving at least, as long as it is done correctly.

As for saying being spawn killed is just because "you are being outplayed". Thats just stupid. Wow, they found out where the team spawns and now all they have to do is spam grenades in there before anyone gets a chance to move. GREAT SKILL. They are cheap tactics, nothing more.

I also think that halo isnt defined by weapon spawns and team spawn placement :P

Not being aggressive, just strongly disagree :)

A good player doesn't camp weapons because it takes you out of the fight. I also don't see how memorizing timers is such a big deal, you can always go into forge to see them. Randomly spawning power weapons is just a bad idea, it leaves to much to chance. Halo is all about starting off everyone with the same abilities and then through them into a map full of tools. It is up to the player to secure the tools and use them in the most effective way possible. So what if you get killed by some guy at the weapon spawn? Get better, there are no unbeatable tactics in Halo.

The opening of a game determines how things play out. If you get beaten back to your spawn its because the other team is better coordinated or more skilled. Yeah it sucks to get stuck in an endless situation of spawn killing, but it rarely happens and I don't believe instant spawns are the answer to a mild annoyance.

Both of these additions completely ruin high level play, and considering most people don't even reach that point I find this whole thing rather pathetic. Its dumbing down the game, not addressing flaws in the system.

Your right Halo isn't defined by weapon spawns and team spawn placements. Its defined by teamwork and map control, guess what two aspects are important to those design choices. :)

Well I'm actually going to wait until sufficient information has been released before I make an opinion regarding Halo 4's multiplayer. Leaked info with no credentials is moot anyway.

Dansen:
snip

Ah well, guess we have different ideas about what makes halo- halo.

I'm not a "high level" player so maybe thats why i am not bothered.

I'm sure high level players will adapt :)

I say that it is their choose and that the way it ends is up the majority. Take MW3 for an example many people say it is a great game but that does not mean that is made any improvement that justifies making a new game which leads to falling behind in the race which hurts even more when you were in the lead before.
TL;DR there always need to be improvement.

Assume the article you are getting this from is a good source and is true(yes I have read it too) the yes the multiplayer may be truly fucked. No Elites and the Forerunner vision is what will ruin it. I would also like to add that while I dislike the old school shooter weapon pick ups it is something that made Halo's multiplayer unique compared to other modern games. So, if the rumour is true I am not happy that they fucked that up.

Yes, it's been ruined. Just like it was ruined when they made Halo 2 and you had to play as one of the Covenant, just like it was ruined when they made Halo Wars and it was an RTS instead of an FPS, just like it was ruined when they made Halo 3 and you'd skipped over the battle for Earth, just like it was ruined when they made Halo: Reach and focused more on the multiplayer than the single player campaign. Heck, just like it ruined all First Person Shooters forever when Halo: Combat Evolved was made.

Huh. Y'know, for a game that seems to be ruined forever with every single installment, Halo certainly has been doing alright for itself, it's almost like these things don't actually ruin the games at all.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

daveman247:

Yep, because the true test of skill in Halo is who can get to the rocket launcher first. <.< >.>

OT: Unsure what to think yet. I like what I have heard about some things (random weapon drops), dislike others (everyone gets sprint, buying abilities), but I am going to wait for more info, and maybe some hands-on play before I make my decision. Though I will say one thing, I dislike some of the moves towards being more like COD.

Yes, it appears stepping onto the slippery slope and then abandoning ship leaves your IP going down shit creek.

Complicate the core gameplay some more, remove the skill gap altogether, and god forbid we wait 3 seconds to spawn...

daveman247:

Dansen:
snip

Ah well, guess we have different ideas about what makes halo- halo.

I'm not a "high level" player so maybe thats why i am not bothered.

I'm sure high level players will adapt :)

Just so I can understand where you are coming from, what do you think makes Halo multiplayer what it is?

BreakfastMan:

Yep, because the true test of skill in Halo is who can get to the rocket launcher first. <.< >.>

Which is why I say Halo:CE was the most balanced multiplayer of all Halo games. Powerweapons were super powerful, but so was the starting pistol. You were not completely useless without a pick-up weapon. A simple change like making the BR a starting weapon and actually balancing the 50% useless weapons in the game would have done wonders, rather than further tearing down the skill gap.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked