Half-Life 3... would be the biggest announcement

Pages 1 2 NEXT

in gaming in a while..... regardless if you are an HL fan or not... Half-Life is universially considered to be one if not the greatest FPS series of all time, and one of the greatest gaming series of all time....

if it was annoucned, it be one of the biggest gaming announcements in a while

would you agree or not?

I don't really care for the games, so the announcement for another game in a series I don't like is negligible to me.

If Half-Life 3 was announced it could easily topple just about any other game in terms of coverage

Greatest games of all time ehhh... I wouldnt think it would be near that. It's a good game, but it's not near the greatest.

But yeah it would be a pretty big announcement, since valve is always so quiet and hype has been building for a while. I don't think I'd even care at this point till it actually came out. Valve just takes way too long to get their stuff done

I don't give a shit. I am so past giving a shit. I'd still buy it if it came out, I would just be un-hyped and sick of the expectations people would give it. It'd be big, but I would ignore it because it would annoy me.

I think Starcraft 2 was a bigger announcement. Granted it was some years ago, but still that was one of the most massively anticipated sequels.

As for HL3, if it ever comes out, it will indeed be be a massive wave of "OMG" followed by a massive wave of "QQ" "Worst Evar" "Valve is evil" and "the Half Life series is RUINED! WAAAAHHH" once it actually comes out.

Smithburg:
Greatest games of all time ehhh... I wouldnt think it would be near that. It's a good game, but it's not near the greatest.

But yeah it would be a pretty big announcement, since valve is always so quiet and hype has been building for a while. I don't think I'd even care at this point till it actually came out. Valve just takes way too long to get their stuff done

I agree on both accounts. I'm a HL fan but I don't think it's the best FPS. It's pretty good, though. I want more of it.

And also, yes, the announcement will spark numerous conversations and discussions. At this point, I expect Valve would go "Half-Life (Episode) 3 coming next month." so they'll leave less time for fans to overhype the thing.

This another hipster "Half Life is soooooooOOOOOOOooooo overrated" thread?

Cool story bro.

skywolfblue:
I think Starcraft 2 was a bigger announcement. Granted it was some years ago, but still that was one of the most massively anticipated sequels.

As for HL3, if it ever comes out, it will indeed be be a massive wave of "OMG" followed by a massive wave of "QQ" "Worst Evar" "Valve is evil" and "the Half Life series is RUINED! WAAAAHHH" once it actually comes out.

I dunno, they ended Portal 2 with a pleasant and emotional ending. I think they're smarter than most people give them credit for.

I think if it was announced my overall feeling would just be "Fucking finally". I'm fairly indifferent to it now, as it seems more and more to be this generation's Duke Nukem Forever, but I would like to see it released and be able to actually have the whole thing come to an end. They just need to wrap it up so they can get on with everything else.

Captcha: glazed donut. Not even going to make the joke.

Objectively, the next Modern Warfare game will be a bigger announcement, but internet coverage and geekgasms will be much higher for the next Half Life (I know for me personally, the next COD won't even register a blip on the give-a-shit-o-meter).

I have a question.

Is Half-Life 3 actually gonna be the next HL game we see, or are they doing Half Life 2: Episode 3?

Don Savik:

Cool story bro.

Uh... what?

The OP didn't say anything to that effect. I got the impression he/she rather likes the HL games.

I really can't imagine it's too far off now. Maybe not this year but unless Valve have a new IP planned It seems lightly it'll be released early next year at the latest. I seriously doubt we'll we seeing a left 4 dead for awhile, tf2 is stil going strong, we just got a Portal game...it just seems logical that valve are finally going to return to the series.

Though I do wonder if the reason their taking so long is they've made a new engine for it and they're waiting for a new console generation so they can release it multiplatform. But that would piss off their main fan base so much that I doubt it.

Strain42:
I have a question.

Is Half-Life 3 actually gonna be the next HL game we see, or are they doing Half Life 2: Episode 3?

It's been Nearly 5 years since episode 2. I seriously doubt valve would release a less than 5 hour game after all this time. Gabe himself said that going into episodes was a bad idea (especially since the whole idea was to release sequels more regularly), they've lightly abandoned them and gone for a full fledged sequel. Whatever they're doing they'll probably continue from where the series left off. I think valve have been quiet for so long because they're working on something impressive.

edit: to be honest I've never been to annoyed at valve for the wait. They've released 3 very good game while we've waited, it's more the cliff hanger than anything else that has left people frustrated. Whatever hype that has been built for half life 3 is fan created, valve hasnt promised anything so I don't get the reasons for being pissed.

GameCalmer:
in gaming in a while..... regardless if you are an HL fan or not... Half-Life is universially considered to be one if not the greatest FPS series of all time, and one of the greatest gaming series of all time....

if it was annoucned, it be one of the biggest gaming announcements in a while

would you agree or not?

A bigger one would be they are never doing it and a "ha ha try and stop us." just for the hell of it :)

Zhukov:

Don Savik:

Cool story bro.

Uh... what?

The OP didn't say anything to that effect. I got the impression he/she rather likes the HL games.

I meant that everything Half Life related turns into a hipster contest of who can hate Half Life more.

Don Savik:

Zhukov:

Don Savik:

Cool story bro.

Uh... what?

I meant that everything Half Life related turns into a hipster contest of who can hate Half Life more.

I didn't realise disliking Half Life for legitimate reasons automatically registered me as a hipster.

OT: I wouldn't care, I found HL2 to be overrated after I finished the Orange Box. I wouldn't even bother reading a plot summary online to see how it ends.

My theory is that HL3 is actually nearly ready for release, and they aren't going to advertise it. We'll wake up one day, open our steam to look at the sales and... Half-Life 3 is available. To buy. With our money. And THAT is why we haven't heard anything from it.
EDIT:

Don Savik:

Zhukov:

Don Savik:

Cool story bro.

Uh... what?

I didn't like Half-Life before it was cool. *Puts on shades*
In all seriousness, I'm not allowed to dislike a popular series simply because it's popular? I didn't find Half-Life 2 that interesting, not enough to hold my attention through all the episodes. And don't say ''You haven't played through them all, you can't know!''
I played Half-Life 2, and Episode 1, I have a fair idea of what the games are like and I didn't enjoy them, and that isn't because I'm trying to jump some bandwagon.

Half Life 2 is a terrible game in my opinion. It has aged so poorly, and I have a far funner time playing the original Half Life (which I first played last year).

Besides, I think we can all agree that the greatest gaming announcement will be the successor to E.T.

(to clarify, only the second paragraph is in jest, entirely serious about the first).

Half Life is certainly imo the best FPS of all time.But i'm sure most people find CoD or BF3 or shit like that better.Sigh.

But anyway, yes it would definitely be the biggest announcement yet in gaming.It will topple every game coverage, and when it will come out, boy will it topple the sales.

I know it will come out one day, just people are impatient little kids who can't wait for a game they want.I mean on one hand every one is saying ME3 should have been delayed so that the rushed endings and massive plotholes in the end would be fixed.And at the same time they are trying their best to rush Valve into releasing something they're not even confident to talk about atm.And oh, the shitstorm will be stirred up by the VERY SAME people when Hl3 won't live up to expectations if its rushed.

ResonanceGames:
(I know for me personally, the next COD won't even register a blip on the give-a-shit-o-meter).

I forgot about cod with MW2 myself.

OT: HL3 would be a huge announcement if only because of the fanboy/hater flame wars that would ensue.

ResonanceGames:
Objectively, the next Modern Warfare game will be a bigger announcement, but internet coverage and geekgasms will be much higher for the next Half Life (I know for me personally, the next COD won't even register a blip on the give-a-shit-o-meter).

Well, I for one stopped giving a shit about new CoD games years ago.
Wake me up when they rerelease CoD 1 and 2.
And definitely wake me up when there is Dungeon Keeper 3.
Seriously, I'd sell my soul for that game, if I had one.

If the next Half Life title was to be announced, say at E3 this year, I'd be as excited as I was when Skyrim was announced. :)

And here I thought these forums hit rock bottom when Mass Effect 3 rolled around.

It probably would be, tho i stopped caring years ago.

Valve+Steam have become one of the biggest forces in the gaming industry, which is why it's so sad they are basically ignoring their fans on some levels, tho understandable.

Also, for each step they now take they probably need to consult with an army of lawyers first.

That's just how the cookie crumbles, i suppose.

skywolfblue:

I think even Diablo III is more highly anticipated than StarCraft II. But yeah, where Valve stand now, they are reigning kings of PC distribution - but they also have a sizable console fanbase with The Orange Box and Portal 2 being massive success stories on all systems. So I think a Half-Life 3 announcement would be a universal thing, while StarCraft is very much a PC gaming ritual.

Speaking of which, I'm surprised CS:GO isn't getting much coverage. IT'S COUNTER-STRIKE SURELY THE INTERNET WOULD BE OVER THE DAMN THING LIKE ANTS AT A PICNIC, whether they like it or not.

No, it would not be, and will not be.

It would be a double-edge knife.

For one the announcement of one of the biggest pc icons would be announced with a return. You bet your ass people would buy it like it was the secret of immortality or something.

But for the other side the fear it would be another "Duke Nukem forever" disaster hovers in the air.

For me i would want it. Half Life for me is like candy to a little kid. I loved playing it, loved the music, atmosphere, loved the characters, the designs of everything, gameplay every single thing.

So yeah i would love a sequel. And i trust Valve so <3

It would be approximately equivalent to Skyrim, aside from the inevitable DNF-style "Finally!" coverage.

Stand on 'game platform'.

Hey, there's a train coming!

*Peers at the train closer*

Forget it, it's Peter Molyneux's old hype train.

See ya.

It would be pretty big. We'd hear a lot of happy screaming through the E3 trailer. Although, I haven't even finished the first one, so, I'm not up to that point, yet.

Crytek are gettin crysis 3 soon...a year later after crysis2, and 4 years after crysis1,
What the devil is taking valve so long to release half life 3??
Crysis its a great game,crysis 2 even better,and im damn sure crysis 3 will be a great 1 too
Its driving me nuts that they want to be like stupid apple,and dont give any info
Good or bad,we'll all buy it,if its very bad,just fix it with another instalment FFS
Gabe,we not gonna live forever man

Half Life brings about very fond memories for me, much in the same way that Doom has. I would be absolutely ecstatic if HL3 was announced.

I'd imagine it would be a big event in general, considering how iconic the series is and how rabid the fans are.

Not really. I'd be all like "Oh, okay, that game that other people like is out, cool" then go back to playing whatever I was playing at the time. Honestly it's like ANY big game that you don't much care about coming out, you're not going to be all the excited about it.

VoidWanderer:
Stand on 'game platform'.

Hey, there's a train coming!

*Peers at the train closer*

Forget it, it's Peter Molyneux's old hype train.

See ya.

A: that didn't make sense.
B: What does Molyneux have to do with this???

OT: I don't think it would be the biggest announcement ever, because everyone has been expecting it for years. I think a bigger announcement would be a game that nobody was really sure it was coming. Like with Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3. Or Master of Orion 4 (A MAN CAN DREAM OK???)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked