Quick question on Skyrim roleplaying

So I'm thinking of rolling up a Dark Elf character on Skyrim, but I don't want to join the Empire because that's what my other character has done.

The only problem is that the Stormcloaks are... well, they're racist bastards as far as I've heard. Not really had much interaction with them as my Empire-loyal character and avoided spoilers but one thing that keeps cropping up over and over again whenever Skyrim gets mentioned is that the Stormcloaks are basically xenophobic pricks that want any race that isn't the Nords out of Skyrim. Maybe other races are taking all of their jobs or something, I dunno.

So I'm not really sure, from a roleplaying perspective, how it could really make any sense for a Dark Elf to join up with the Stormcloaks. Considering they hate my kind. Yeah I know it's odd to worry about the logic of allegiances in a fictional game world but I'm kind of anal retentive that way.

I think if you want to truly roleplay as a Dark Elf, I think you're kinda hosed if you want to join the rebellion. I'm a Khajiit and I thought about joining up with the Stormcloaks, but, one, they hate my kind, and two, since I joined the Dark Brotherhood it would be really awkward to be with the Empire considering who I killed.

I wish they had a neutral faction in the main story instead of picking either side. I think the best you can do now is just roleplay your character as a person that does whatever pays the most gold and will only do things for their own benefit.

Well, if you actually go to Windhelm there's a large district of Dark Elves living there, some very well off and important. In Falkreath there are two Stormcloak brothers, one's racist, the other is really dead on, and actually will apologuise for his brothers rude remarks. Also I'm pretty sure the Stormcloaks you can side with at the beginning and Ulfric himself doesn't actually care about your race, whereas your first experience with the Empire is that they want to cut your head off, so maybe your dark elf carries grudges very deeply, and joins the Stormcloaks out of spite, stays for the company of his kind in Wildhelm?

I wish you hadd the option of joining the thalmor and is only for elven characters and becoe an overlord and conquer skyrim by killing tullius and ulfric. Stormcloak for a Nord character. Empire for ALL! I choose empire but I still hate them for selling out the redguards to the thalmor. I'm playing an imperial at the moment who will join the empire, a nord who will join the stormcloaks and a high elf who i wish could join the thalmor and be an asshole to everyone who isn't an elf.

Fiz_The_Toaster:
I think if you want to truly roleplay as a Dark Elf, I think you're kinda hosed if you want to join the rebellion. I'm a Khajiit and I thought about joining up with the Stormcloaks, but, one, they hate my kind, and two, since I joined the Dark Brotherhood it would be really awkward to be with the Empire considering who I killed.

I wish they had a neutral faction in the main story instead of picking either side. I think the best you can do now is just roleplay your character as a person that does whatever pays the most gold and will only do things for their own benefit.

Actually I played as Kahjiit and I will never forget this:

I was walking through Falkreath at one point when I heard a Stormcloak voice: "You and everyone like you should be honored for being a son of skyrim"

I never found that again and yet I still am looking for that sound file.

Terminate421:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

I was walking through Falkreath at one point when I heard a Stormcloak voice: "You and everyone like you should be honored for being a son of skyrim"

I've heard that too!

What was really funny about that was the timing that all that happened, after a Dark Brotherhood mission, where....

I was in Solitude, of all places, and I heard a guard say that. I was confused, and I didn't know if that was a glitch or not, but granted it was a Nord guard that said it, sooooo.....

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Terminate421:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

I've heard that too!

What was really funny about that was the timing that all that happened, after a Dark Brotherhood mission, where....

I was in Solitude, of all places, and I heard a guard say that. I was confused, and I didn't know if that was a glitch or not, but granted it was a Nord guard that said it, sooooo.....

But the thing was, is I was Kahjiit. They frowned upon my kind until then they "kind of" gave Kahjiit a bit of leeway. Besides, even Galmar Stone Fist says "Why does a cat want to fight for Skyrim?" When you ask if they only take nords, "Thats not what I asked, but why do YOU want to fight for Skyrim?"

(Ironically I was secretly evil, I roleplayed as "The Kahjiit God of Terror" where I became Mortal in the style of God of War)

They may be a bit racist but its more of a Nords ideal that people should prove their might before they are respected. There is a Wood elf who explains this in windhelm, she sells her stuff and gets the same treatment as everyone else, equally.

Terminate421:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Terminate421:

I've heard that too!

But the thing was, is I was Kahjiit. They frowned upon my kind until then they "kind of" gave Kahjiit a bit of leeway. Besides, even Galmar Stone Fist says "Why does a cat want to fight for Skyrim?" When you ask if they only take nords, "Thats not what I asked, but why do YOU want to fight for Skyrim?"

(Ironically I was secretly evil, I roleplayed as "The Kahjiit God of Terror" where I became Mortal in the style of God of War)

They may be a bit racist but its more of a Nords ideal that people should prove their might before they are respected. There is a Wood elf who explains this in windhelm, she sells her stuff and gets the same treatment as everyone else, equally.

My character is a Khajiit, so I'm used to hearing trash talk coming from NPCs about my character. I just assumed that no matter what side I chose I was going to hear that.

Anyways, I haven't picked a side yet just because as I'm roleplaying my character I'm waiting until I hear something that will "benefit" her, and it will probably be at the last minute. I don't find either side appealing, and I'm going to see how long the game will let me be indecisive, but at the moment I'm leaning towards the Empire since Ulfric is being a massive dick at the point in my game.

I gave up trying to roleplay in that game. First couple guys I did it with and it felt kinda hollow. Then I just rolled up a random Redguard and went around doing whatever 'I' wanted to do, which basically meant everything. These games work more for me when I think of the world as a big playground instead of an immersive world to explore.

Instead of a roleplaying with a dark elf, be an ork and do what I did. Just use the Strongholds and pretty much kill any trespasser you find, any guard or bystander.

The problem with the Stormcloaks is not that they are racist (because they are not) it is you do not have a dialog choice to point out the racism in the common folk and communities to make some kind of change of view. The nords pretty much call every outsider milk drinkers anyway so its more of a racism about honor and linage than actual physical agendas.

Finnaly joining any part of the civil war as a dark elf seems not a wise choice in general, simply because if your roleplaying that war is about the worship of Talos, and dark elves as a vast majority worship deadra and not the nine or eight depending on how you look at it :P

Isn't there an option to make both sides sign a peace treaty or something by following the main questline without joining one side or another?

Just download the "kill Generals" mod and go around assassinating everyone.

kingthrall:
Instead of a roleplaying with a dark elf, be an ork and do what I did. Just use the Strongholds and pretty much kill any trespasser you find, any guard or bystander.

The problem with the Stormcloaks is not that they are racist (because they are not) it is you do not have a dialog choice to point out the racism in the common folk and communities to make some kind of change of view. The nords pretty much call every outsider milk drinkers anyway so its more of a racism about honor and linage than actual physical agendas.

Finnaly joining any part of the civil war as a dark elf seems not a wise choice in general, simply because if your roleplaying that war is about the worship of Talos, and dark elves as a vast majority worship deadra and not the nine or eight depending on how you look at it :P

The thing is though that as The dovahkiin one is bound to become Talos anyways.

Maybe you're trying to take it down from the inside for the Empire, but you get caught up in the battles and stuff?

SajuukKhar:

kingthrall:

The thing is though that as The dovahkiin one is bound to become Talos anyways.

Its a gift from Talos, but it does not mean that the dovahkiin is bound to worship Talos.

kingthrall:
Its a gift from Talos, but it does not mean that the dovahkiin is bound to worship Talos.

Ugh.... I said to BECOME Talos not worship him.

The end of the civil war is a direct mimicry of the founding of the third empire, and the creation of mundus, such mythic acts always cause the apotheosis of a new god.

Just as Tiber, Ysmir Wulfharth, and Zurin Arctus merged to become Talos, so shall the 3 of Skyrim become the new Talos.

The general, The rebel, the Observer
Akatosh, Lorkhan, Magnus
Tiber, Ysmir, Zurin
Tullius, Ulfirc, The Dovahkiin

The mythic trinity is one again present in the actions of the mortal realm.

Lorkhan that is Sithis that is Akatosh that is Talos once again will trick his way back into the pantheon of gods after his old forms have failed.

Just as Lorkhan in the form of Talos supplanted Lorkhan, so shall Lorkhan in the form of the new Talos take the place of the failing Talos.

SajuukKhar:

kingthrall:

Ugh.... I said to BECOME Talos not worship him.

The end of the civil war is a direct mimicry of the founding of the third empire, and the creation of mundus, such mythic acts always cause the apotheosis of a new god.

Just as Tiber, Ysmir Wulfharth, and Zurin Arctus merged to become Talos, so shall the 3 of Skyrim become the new Talos.

The general, The rebel, the Observer
Akatosh, Lorkhan, Magnus
Tiber, Ysmir, Zurin
Tullius, Ulfirc, The Dovahkiin

The mythic trinity is one again present in the actions of the mortal realm.

Lorkhan that is Sithis that is Akatosh that is Talos once again will trick his way back into the pantheon of gods after his old forms have failed.

Just as Lorkhan in the form of Talos supplanted Lorkhan, so shall Lorkhan in the form of the new Talos take the place of the failing Talos.

True, but you still have the choice just like when you have the choice to become the lord of murder in baldurs gate 2 or deny your heritige.

kingthrall:
True, but you still have the choice just like when you have the choice to become the lord of murder in baldurs gate 2 or deny your heritige.

Actually you dont. There is no choice, the events of the end of the civil war start the process of mantling, there is no going back.

The second Ulfric or Tullius dies all 3 of them are screwed.

Once the general kills the rebel in The Doavhkiin's presence the events that mimic the founded of The Third Empire, and the creation of the mortal realm, are complete and as are their fates.

The Dovahkiin being an avatar of Akatosh who is Lorkhan, and Lorkhan who is Akatosh had this destiny placed before him at birth.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked