Games that make you ask yourself "Why can't i get better?"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Pretty much all racing games.
Also the halo multiplayer. Maybe it's just that I'm used to CoD and TF2 but I just can't get good at it.

I'm literally playing this right now with my little brother but

GOOMBAH FUCKING BOWLING!!!!

I want to love this game and a part of me does (the part of me who loves being abused) I love the premise and I like bowling but I've never ever been good at bowling to begin with.

Speaking of; Mario Party 9 and Fortune Street which are heavily influenced by the luck of a dice roll...

Starcraft 1 and 2. Without practicing 8 hours a day, there's just too much to memorize, too much to keep track of, and too many builds to counter along with massive amounts of unit micro and skill usage. Mostly in sc1, because the micro in 2 is reduced to "pull hurt units back."

SC2 is definitely more casual than BW.

combat mission battle for normandy and combat mission shockforce..

spending 20-30 minutes advancing my company on an objective to be wiped out in a couple of minutes by rpgs and MG's

SirBryghtside:
StarCraft 2. I'm stuck in Bronze, and no amount of Day9 can fix me. My APM is just never good enough.

I really like the strategy aspect of starcraft, but the amount of micro-management required just feels like a boring job to me.

Also, i remember struggling with Ecco the dolphin and Zool on the Sega Mega Drive quite a bit due to quirky controls, not due to my gifted skills, of course.

My initial thought was to say fighting games, but actually that's not true. I do get slightly better at them over time. I've never been good at them but I do generally get a little better as a play.

It is racing games where no matter how much I play I don't get any better. I got the wipeout game for free after the PSN ordeal last year. To this date I can't get past the first few races. This is not just on wipeout, I've played some of the F1 games where it shows you the racing line and pretty much tells you what to do....still finish outside the top 10 in a McLaren, sigh.

Certain fighting games I just can't seem to improve at like for example SF games. I for the life of me cannot use charge characters properly. Yes I do understand how to use them and how they and I can finish at least the normal training combos but I can't use them in fights. Others I am better with. I also can't get the hang of the counter attacks in DoA 4 but that might be because the AI is bullshit sauce for the final enemy.

Don't get me started on racing games. Well I do have fun on ones like Mario Kart where you can attack other drivers.

For those looking to get better at fighting games, and there seems to be a lot of them in this thread, I would recommend watching some UltraChenTV. They have a Youtube channel with their previous videos and do live stream shows on Monday and Tuesday evenings on twitch.tv Great stuff and they tend to cover a lot of what makes you a better (or worse) FG player without just telling you to spend more time training or practicing combos.

I don't know that I've personally ran into any specific walls lately. Way back in the old days there were games like the Ninja Gaiden series on the NES that I just could not beat no matter how hard I tried but now I find things more an issue of time/interest. I find that while my skill doesn't seem to hit a wall in improvement I do find myself just losing interest when faced with the time it would take to get better. The last fighting game I really put my heart into was CvS2 and I was routinely able to at least compete with the top dogs online in that game (though location kept me from doing much offline) but nothing had got those same hooks into me since.

SSF4. I can't do links... at all. I don't understand why I have such a problem with them.

Every. Touhou. Game. Ever.

But hey, with escape zones the size of (As Yahtzee put it) A leprecon's testicle I think I do pretty darn good taking only 20 magic blasts to the face.

Also the survival mode on Recetter.

All fighting games, I'm pretty good at them but I don't think I'll get much better at them.

The Wykydtron:

krazykidd:

DustyDrB:
Fighting games. I do much much better when I just spastically hit random buttons then when I try to execute actual techniques. If you're just a casual fan of fighting games, you better not be too competitive. People get way too good way too fast in them. I remember buying Marvel vs Capcom 3 last year just about a week after it came out. I played through the story/arcade/whatever they call it mode with three or four characters before trying some online matches. And I got destroyed. I started off with an online win-loss record of like 0 and 30. People would do some crazy shit, and then I'd later flip through the manual or try the tutorial mode. People were doing moves that weren't even in the manual. A week after the game came out.

Also, Bayonetta. I'm pretty awful at it. I didn't get over a Stone Trophy once...

Oh man i know how that feels . It took me 800 online matches to hit a win/lose ratio of 1 ( 50% matches won). Right now i'm at about 4000 matches and 63% of games won . I guess i put myself at a disadvantage by not wanting to use overused characters .

Also that bayonetta man .Speaking of witch ( see what i did there?) is 't bayonetta a capcom character? Why isn't she in umvc3?

*grabs the Bayonetta box*

Nope, Published by SEGA and developed by Platinum Games. Who i've never heard of before Bayonetta. She would be so awesome in a Capcom fighting game nonetheless...

She'd push the rating to like a 15/16 all on her own though XD

Platinum Games is the studio also responsible for Vanquish, MadWorld and the upcoming Metal gear Rising. It was founded by former employees of Capcom's Clover Studio (Viewtiful Joe, Okami, God Hand) after Capcom decided to close Clover down.

Warcraft 3 and every FPS I've ever played besides Red Orchestra: Ostfront '41 - '45 and Halo: Combat Evolved. I've never played the other Halo games so I can't say if I'd be decent at them as well or not.

World of Warcraft, mostly inactive, but any attempt at progression usually entails me going into Dungeon Finder Groups for loot, right?

Wrong!

Im a mage, all i could do is fling some Arcane spells at stuff and hope things goes for the best, keep bumping into int/stamina gear but that's druid stuff, but i really can't rock the boat orelse id get kicked out, and replaced by some guy's friend.

Plus all my class allows me to do is DPS, so i couldn't really go the high road and be a healer and practically get kick immunity (due to rareness of finding one), had i have the foresignt to pick a class that could be all 3 roles like 3 or whatever years ago, probably would be marginally better.

PvP just sucks, rogues stun, turn invisible doesn't work since they damage with the dagger knife thing. generally id be dead in 2 or so hits.

So again for the 2nd time in a row, an expansion comes out even before i scratched the surface of the mid-end game, and an entire expansion's contents being considered as dead, but i guess the upside is that i can finally solo those PvE group quests with starter greens!

yunabomb:
SSF4. I can't do links... at all. I don't understand why I have such a problem with them.

I'm in the same boat. I'm fine with cancels, but links? Nope.

Crossfire. Im usually a pretty good FPS player, but that F2P FPS game made my blood boil. -_- No matter what i tried or what i did, i would always somehow get killed by some guy with 200+ ping. I just quit after a while.

Dawn of War Dark Crusade in online. I just don't know how people magically assemble their armies that fast. I'm ok if I'm on a team.

Counter-Strike Source and Team Fortress 2.

Pretty much every fighting game I've ever played.

Let's see, SC2, just based on the fact that I always seem to have resources just sitting around not being used. I'll end a match with lots of gas and crystals just sitting there banked. I prefer the old Age of Empires where you had to build up an economy while balancing tech and your army, and did way better than I'll ever do at SC2.

I wish I was a little better at League of Legends, I don't hit brackets or anything, but I can hold my own against most other players and that's good enough for me.

Final Fantasy games. And this one really bothers me, because I love FF games, and rpg's in general. I'll always start off really strong, make it halfway through the game and then hit this impossible wall, that even if I go back and grind the shit out of my party, still can't seem to win the fight without barely losing it every other turn. It's pretty embarrassing.

Bullet hell games. I think they look amazing and it feels really good to just dodge a seemingly impenetrable barrage of bullets but I get killed so many times in the process I never get past the first levels of any game.

It especially sucks because I can never find out about the story behind those levels I can never finish.

Grygor:

The Wykydtron:

krazykidd:

Oh man i know how that feels . It took me 800 online matches to hit a win/lose ratio of 1 ( 50% matches won). Right now i'm at about 4000 matches and 63% of games won . I guess i put myself at a disadvantage by not wanting to use overused characters .

Also that bayonetta man .Speaking of witch ( see what i did there?) is 't bayonetta a capcom character? Why isn't she in umvc3?

*grabs the Bayonetta box*

Nope, Published by SEGA and developed by Platinum Games. Who i've never heard of before Bayonetta. She would be so awesome in a Capcom fighting game nonetheless...

She'd push the rating to like a 15/16 all on her own though XD

Platinum Games is the studio also responsible for Vanquish, MadWorld and the upcoming Metal gear Rising. It was founded by former employees of Capcom's Clover Studio (Viewtiful Joe, Okami, God Hand) after Capcom decided to close Clover down.

Ohhhh so that's what happened to Clover. Thank you good sir!

I wondered what happened to them, good to know they're still in business. Okami was awesome, even though I doubt i'm halfway through it yet DX. I need access to a PS2 again stat.

I would have loved Vanquish if the demo didn't give me a proper migrane after 2 minutes. It's the only game ever that's managed to flair up my motion sickness... Bloody typical. A game about Rocket Shoes comes out and I can't play it. XD

DoTA style games do my head in, I played HoN for ages trying to get good at it but I'd always get ganked and yelled at by teammates. :D

Mount and Blade I guess.

On a related note, playing Fire and Sword and then switching to Warband is incredibly hard to get used to. The BEST person I saw at F&S is like your below average Warband player. Because all the F&S people never practice melee just sit on walls with rifles.

SirBryghtside:
StarCraft 2. I'm stuck in Bronze, and no amount of Day9 can fix me. My APM is just never good enough.

Also a little on TF2. I really like the game, and occasionally floor everyone, but I never really stuck to one specific class... so I'm really average with all of them.

A chair and a probe.

That's all you need.

I'm not brilliant at ARMA but it is brilliant fun, I normally get assigned the M32 MGL or just some big ass LMG where pinpoint accuracy isn't really a requirement ;)

Sandjube:
Mount and Blade I guess.

On a related note, playing Fire and Sword and then switching to Warband is incredibly hard to get used to. The BEST person I saw at F&S is like your below average Warband player. Because all the F&S people never practice melee just sit on walls with rifles.

Nah I think it's cos the best players just stuck with Warband ;) if you want guns just play MM3 (which is now being made into official DLC!!!)

I'm incredibly inept at fighting and most puzzle games. For the life of me, I can't seem to pull off any combo ever. Even when it's currently flashing on the screen in training mode :(
As for puzzle games. I've yet to finish a Professor Layton title without wanting to throw my DS.

Other than that, WoW makes me feel subpar at all times. No matter how much I think I've improved there's always someone to tell me I suck.

Zhukov:
Most strategy games.

I enjoy them, but God damn I am crap at them.

This.

I can get good at them if I want, but to be effective at a multiplayer level I have to concentrate so much that I need to lie down and take a nap after 1 match. It is somewhat fun - I enjoy a mental challenge - but... damn is it annoying. Even then, I'm not guaranteed to do well. At best I'll probably hold my own, and hope for an ally to win it for me.

And that's why I <3 Single player - set AI to normal, and kick its ass.

I've been in gold league in SC2 for quite a while, just don't have the patience to learn new builds or how to play long macro games. My macro is just bad, I either can't spend minerals fast enough or I can't support my production. Might actually get to platinum league if I didn't always do 1 base stim timing pushes against Protoss and cloaked banshee rushes against Zerg. The victor is usually determined within the fist 10 minutes. Then there's gold league TvT, which almost always last an hour for me.

Other than that, I'm generally pretty bad at fighting games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.

As for FPS games, I'm that guy that always gets a 5.0 k/d every game while still contributing to winning the game. All you have to do is find the most over powered class combination (because there always is one) and the multiplayer ceases to be a challenge.

Turn and Real Time Strategies. in both i can just about make a ridiculously awesome economy, but after that i have no clue what to do with it. and if i figure out what to do with it i still can't micromanage to save my life.

Take Starcraft 2 and Warcraft 3 (interesting note: my spellchecker accepts Warcraft but not Starcraft) the only way for me to do anything is to play with a friend and either hand him all of my resources or have him tell me EXACTLY what to do and when.

Zhukov:
Most strategy games.

For me, it depends on what kind of strategy game. Starcraft? Nope, I can't be bothered to macro everything and memorize all the keybindings. Shogun 2? Definitely, because it's more about placement than anything else.

For me, Fighting games. My brain doesn't process the kind of data required to not only memorize abilities, but have the thought to chain them all together. Although I'm pretty good at the new Mortal Kombat.

The Wykydtron:
-

Phoenix Wright is a boss though, he's kind of awkward but if you get him down, he's one of the strongest characters in the game in Turnabout mode. Not to mention his ultimate does the most damage of any character as well as most awesome/hilarious.

VVVVV(V?).
I finished it after a few hours, but I never really felt like I was getting better. I still died dozens of times over and over in the same place before getting past it. Fun game, and I liked the open-world feel, but the controls are very twitchy and hard to get used to.

Waaghpowa:

Zhukov:
Most strategy games.

For me, it depends on what kind of strategy game. Starcraft? Nope, I can't be bothered to macro everything and memorize all the keybindings. Shogun 2? Definitely, because it's more about placement than anything else.

For me, Fighting games. My brain doesn't process the kind of data required to not only memorize abilities, but have the thought to chain them all together. Although I'm pretty good at the new Mortal Kombat.

The Wykydtron:
-

Phoenix Wright is a boss though, he's kind of awkward but if you get him down, he's one of the strongest characters in the game in Turnabout mode. Not to mention his ultimate does the most damage of any character as well as most awesome/hilarious.

Yeah watching someone's full health last character get instakilled by PW's lvl 3 is definitely my favourite thing in UMVC3. 1.2 million damage in lvl 3 X-Factor. The standard benchmark health is 1/1.1 million, so Ace Attorney is almost always overkill in the highest degree.

There's something beautiful about watching so much health disintegrate in such a short amount of time...

Rejecting beam supers with it is fun as well, the amount of people who decide to throw out a random Hyper on incoming when they're on their last character is really high. Like if a Ryu or Akuma is the last character they'll almost certainly throw out a beam super without thinking... Y'know since those beams are usually safe as houses? Nothing is safe when you're against Phoenix Wright bitches XD

Shinku HADOUK- The one who actually commited the crime... IS YOU!

Or when this guy's Spencer was just zipping about on the very top of the screen trying to time out Turnabout... *Waits for the next zip* AA'd. Plus y'know when they're on full retreat mode? Backflipping into the corner to make blocking piss easy? That used to beat me so damn often. Now? Air throw into Ace Attorney. Owned!

Yeah PW is just so fun to play. Like overcoming his limitations makes it more fun if you know what I mean. I'd never have fun playing someone like Wesker, he's so easy to pick up and destroy with it'd get boring fast. Plus everyone and their dog knows Wesker counters by now. Complete. Global. Oversaturation of a certain character tends to do that to a metagame. Like how everyone had Phoenix counters in Vanilla MvC3

SC2. Sad thing is, I was at least average on Brood War. I've tried everything from reading all the guides to submitting replays to Day9 to changing my race/build order to something less easily rushed, but everyone just says 'macro better'. Doubt I will never learn to cope with early rushes or get out of high Bronze as a result.

:P Pretty much any fighting game series I've ever played with the exception of Dead or Alive, only because of the simplicity of it's rock-paper-scissors combat system. Throw beats Counter, Counter beats Punch, Punch beats Throw. Sure there's some complex maneuvers and combos that can be pulled off, but they're not necessary to win.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked