Why no hype for Xcom?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

No need for hype. Those of us who know we will buy it, well, we know we'll buy it. Very niche market, but we're keeping quiet tabs on it.

I think we're all waiting with cautious optimism. I know if I get too hyped up for it, they'll suddenly turn it into another FPS to go with the other XCOM.

Plus, in the meantime, I have to actually play the original X-Com. Still haven't done that.

Well it would be nice if thread makers added some footage...

Gotta say it's looking very snazzy, I'm not a huge fan of turn based combat but it does look like it might have enough fluidity to it.
And I hope that "glam cam" can be turned down because that sort of thing can get awfully irritating.

I eagerly await the proper x com reboot, and I fully expect it to be pure awesome, while the FPS looks like shite, and will likely be just that.

Well, it's still only a remake or reimagining of an old game. No need to get overly excited.
If the devs don't screw up too badly, I'll buy the new EU though. Time will tell. We turn-based enthousiasts can be patient.

Lucem712:

Saviordd1:

Hazy992:
Never heard of it. That might be why

Lucem712:
I'm also in the same boat as Hazy992, never heard of it. (RTS or FPS, if it's an FPS that is)

This surprises me, its an old classic.

I was born in 92' so I'm a youngin, that's probably why I don't know about it. :P

That's irrelevant, I was born in '95 and I've played it.

OT: I'm not really looking forward to it because, firstly, it won't be anywhere near as crushingly difficult as the first two, and secondly, because the developer of the originals is wary of it as well, which should be quite a warning.

King of Asgaard:

Lucem712:

Saviordd1:

I was born in 92' so I'm a youngin, that's probably why I don't know about it. :P

That's irrelevant, I was born in '95 and I've played it.

OT: I'm not really looking forward to it because, firstly, it won't be anywhere near as crushingly difficult as the first two, and secondly, because the developer of the originals is wary of it as well, which should be quite a warning.

while it could work they are reimagining pretty much everything so yeah it could be a great game but just not a great x-com game. i hope it works, i hope its good

I was born in '94, and the only games I had growing up were Master of Orion 2, Civilisation 2 and Syndicate. Civilisation has survived, Syndicate has been modified beyond recognition and Master of Orion has died. While I never played the original X-COM games, this new one gives me hope that, if it does well, someday there might be new versions of Syndicate and Master of Orion that live up to their predecessors.

A man can dream.

Anthraxus:
You guys are the rarity and the exception. While billions of others your age run around like crackheads playing COD.

You say that as if there used to be billions of drug-addled highschoolers running around playing turn-based games.

GiantRaven:
You say that as if there used to be billions of drug-addled highschoolers running around playing turn-based games.

Obviously you didn't experience the dawn of Chess, the craze for it went world wide, those were wild times I tell you.

I know a number of people who are waiting with baited breath for it. I'm reeeally looking forward to it, but I'm fairly nervous as well. Firaxis has made some.. light hearted, casual friendly decisions of late.

Windcaler:

IrishAdams:
I'm really looking forward to the other one, the shooter you called it. I haven't seen much hype, but hype has never made me want to buy a game before. I can say that Xcom will be a game i'll probably want for sure. Very Bioshock feel. :)

I have never played any of the other RTS one's and I haven't even heard about it, but thank you for bringing it to my attention. :)

When it comes to RTS games I usually go for a more Fantasy setting, like Warcraft or Total War, though so I think Xcom for me will work better as a 'shooter'. Not that only shooting interests me, it's the setting, the character designs, the story, the gameplay mechanics and what not.

None of the Xcom games were real time strategy. What they were was turn based strategy with a lot more depth then most strategy games attempt to put in today. You were the commader of an international organization tasked with stopping the alien invasion and you got to do everything that that entailed from building bases to commanding your troops

The world map was real-time. Not the combat.

I don't know if they will do that in the remake. I didn't like being rushed for time, but it gave a certain adrenaline rush to the alien invasion when you knew you had to hurry.

I never played the original X-com games. Heard of them, sure. Seen playthroughs, sure. However, having never played it personally, my interest is limited to "curiosity" than "hype."

EDIT - Okay, I just watched the "first look" footage right now and... okay, LITTLE hyped now. Looks pretty awesome. :)

Windcaler:
None of the Xcom games were real time strategy.

Actually, not only did Apocalypse have the option of real-time combat, the "overworld" phase of every game was real-time too, and certainly strategic.

Lucem712:

Saviordd1:

Hazy992:

Lucem712:
I'm also in the same boat as Hazy992, never heard of it. (RTS or FPS, if it's an FPS that is)

Yep, same here :P

I want to see a 'revamped' XCOM UFO Defense come out, but I'm cautious as to how it will come out. Since from what I heard the people working on the remake are consulting with the original team behind it (could be a rumor, but it's what I heard), and judging by the alpha trailer I saw a month or so ago, it looks like it could be pretty good.

Hell, they could re-release the exact same game and fix the following issues:

Difficulty Bugs: (XCOM's difficulty dropped to Beginner(Easy) after the first mission/save. Terror from the Deep rose to Superhuman (Oh God I'm a masochist difficulty) afterwards.)

Equipment Management: I like to choose what weapons/grenades and such my soldiers use, but not between EVERY. SINGLE. MISSION.

Troop Order: I don't know how the game figures out it's troop placing, but I wold prefer to decide myself who leaves the Skyranger/Triton first. While having my best troops leave first might not be bad at the beginning, the panic wave that will overwhelm my troops because their fearless commander died on turn one because I can't make him start in the back is not good.

Research Bugs: This one applies to Terror from the Deep, but if you research certain things in the wrong order, you might lock yourself out of the final mission. XCOM had this issue, but it could be resolved by re-capturing and re-researching an enemy commander.

Save/Load issues: I am a perfectionist... I will not accept a troop's death because of my stupidity. So I save and load a LOT. I hate having to abandon the mission first, than load the game. Allow me to load/save my game wherever.

Inventory Limit: This isn't so much a problem in XCOM as it is in TftD, but 80 items is not always enough... especially in 2/3 part missions.

I know most of these are fixed using Xcomutil, but the troop order thing I would like to be able to order them how I would like to, not just "red shirts" first. (even then it sometimes puts my high ranks in front.)

I'll also just leave this here, for those who might want to see/play XCOM. (it's only $5 on steam, and it's worth it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UKrk10ixiY&list=PLD91BACF0E36EE427&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Maze1125:

Windcaler:

Actually, not only did Apocalypse have the option of real-time combat, the "overworld" phase of every game was real-time too, and certainly strategic.

The "overworld" phase was real-time in all of them...

Because I heard of xenonauts before the new x-com was announced and I am unsure who to support?

Really looking forward to it myself.

Jadak:

Maze1125:

Windcaler:

Yes, that's what I said...

Maze1125:

Jadak:

Maze1125:

Yes, that's what I said...

Then just ignore me and my misreading things :P

The lack of hype and marketing is a good thing. It means their money is actually being spent on, you know, making the game.

With the speed things move in the age of social networking, advertising months in advance seems a little pointless, especially as they seem focused on making it for fans of X-com, not the farm. Those of us interested, likely all already know its coming, and that for me at least, is good enough for now.

octafish:
limiting the initial squad to only four is not a great sign.

Wait.

WHAT?

I'm actually quite excited for the tactics game after watching the Deep Dive video.

Draw your own conclusion; but I like the direction this is going.

EDIT: Ah, I see someone else already posted that. My browser is still busted and can't view embedded videos or images without going to their source. Still, I'm excited.

The Crotch:

octafish:

Wait.

WHAT?

It's 4-8 actually.

It looks pretty good, but I've only seen one article about it, so I'm guessing there hasn't been much marketing. Not everything has to be blamed on the "ADHD generation."

I haven't played the originals myself because they look ugly as sin (and I'm usually pretty forgiving with old games...I think other turn-based stuff like Fallout 2 and Jagged Alliance 2 look just lovely), and there doesn't seem to be much of a story. Does X-com offer something that Jagged Alliance doesn't? I'll probably try the new one though (the new Enemy Unknown, that is).

Saviordd1:

Is there that little interest in the game? Or is it still under the radar?

Press:"So in the original, the game had the tendency to kill off your seasoned veterans as a feature, are you continuing with that?"

Developer: No...We're making it worse"

Why no interest in the new Xcom strategy game?

how can you forget this?

this might be the best remake of a game.
and it might destroy all excuses for younger gamers not to play this 'old game'

lets hope they dont change things in the last minuite and screw up the game like jagged aliance: back in action.

totally heterosexual:

The Crotch:

octafish:

Wait.

WHAT?

It's 4-8 actually.

disappoint.png

I'm still hopeful about the game, but... damn. 4-8? What about remote-controlled mini-tanks? Do we know anything about those?

Yea, I wouldn't expect it to be as good or deep as the old X-Com because, you know, that's just how these new games roll. Hopefully it's decent/playable and not a travesty like the new Jagged Alliance was.

thejackyl:
I want to see a 'revamped' XCOM UFO Defense come out, but I'm cautious as to how it will come out. Since from what I heard the people working on the remake are consulting with the original team behind it (could be a rumor, but it's what I heard), and judging by the alpha trailer I saw a month or so ago, it looks like it could be pretty good.

Hell, they could re-release the exact same game and fix the following issues:

Difficulty Bugs: (XCOM's difficulty dropped to Beginner(Easy) after the first mission/save. Terror from the Deep rose to Superhuman (Oh God I'm a masochist difficulty) afterwards.)

Equipment Management: I like to choose what weapons/grenades and such my soldiers use, but not between EVERY. SINGLE. MISSION.

Troop Order: I don't know how the game figures out it's troop placing, but I wold prefer to decide myself who leaves the Skyranger/Triton first. While having my best troops leave first might not be bad at the beginning, the panic wave that will overwhelm my troops because their fearless commander died on turn one because I can't make him start in the back is not good.

Research Bugs: This one applies to Terror from the Deep, but if you research certain things in the wrong order, you might lock yourself out of the final mission. XCOM had this issue, but it could be resolved by re-capturing and re-researching an enemy commander.

Save/Load issues: I am a perfectionist... I will not accept a troop's death because of my stupidity. So I save and load a LOT. I hate having to abandon the mission first, than load the game. Allow me to load/save my game wherever.

Inventory Limit: This isn't so much a problem in XCOM as it is in TftD, but 80 items is not always enough... especially in 2/3 part missions.

I know most of these are fixed using Xcomutil, but the troop order thing I would like to be able to order them how I would like to, not just "red shirts" first. (even then it sometimes puts my high ranks in front.)

I'll also just leave this here, for those who might want to see/play XCOM. (it's only $5 on steam, and it's worth it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UKrk10ixiY&list=PLD91BACF0E36EE427&index=1&feature=plpp_video

I'd like to add the ability to open doors without walking through them from TFTD to XCOM. So many lives could be saved.

dyre:
It looks pretty good, but I've only seen one article about it, so I'm guessing there hasn't been much marketing. Not everything has to be blamed on the "ADHD generation."

I haven't played the originals myself because they look ugly as sin (and I'm usually pretty forgiving with old games...I think other turn-based stuff like Fallout 2 and Jagged Alliance 2 look just lovely), and there doesn't seem to be much of a story. Does X-com offer something that Jagged Alliance doesn't? I'll probably try the new one though (the new Enemy Unknown, that is).

Research trees, base building, advanced tactics (jet packs, mind control), outrageous weapons, brutal difficulty, emergent story telling, and enemy variety offer more than JA but JA2 still has more personality.

BTW. Is Silent Storm available anywhere via digital download? My netbook will run it but it needs an external optical drive which is a pain.

"Abilities with cooldowns, no inventory, unlimited ammo except for the rocket launcher, armor and items giving special abilities, no Time Units, cinematic kill camera, scripted plot-critical missions, single base only, reimagined aliens"

I was too severely injured by getting hyped over the last xcom, which ended up being a shooter for some weird reason. The disappointment and mortal wounds subsequent to it have led me to feel nothing towards this new version of xcom. Perhaps when it comes out and people are raving I shall show interest... Maybe. Until then, leave me with my band-aids and feelings of betrayal.

Anthraxus:
"Abilities with cooldowns,

Why is this bad?

Anthraxus:
no inventory

Just cutting out pointless fiddyling that was one of the few bad things about the original game.

Anthraxus:
unlimited ammo except for the rocket launcher

No one ran out of ammo in the orginal game. This makes sense to me.

Anthraxus:
armor and items giving special abilities

Again. Whats the problem here?

Anthraxus:
no Time Units

The new system seems to do just fine.

Anthraxus:
scripted plot-critical missions

Well since randomized missions are still there i dont see why we could not have missions with a bit more scripting. Worked for dawn of war.

Anthraxus:
cinematic kill camera

Can be turned off.

Anthraxus:
single base only

Yeah that kinda pisses me off

Anthraxus:
"reimagined aliens"

The aliens were really bland in the original so i dont see how this is a bad thing at all.

If you just wanted a remake then get out.

Lucem712:

Saviordd1:

Hazy992:

Lucem712:

i was born in 98' but i have still played alot of it.

OT:there was a steam sale of the bundle a while ago and the bundle got to about 3rd place on the top selles list so i would have thought that that would have increased interest.also we have just had syndicate.another revival of a classic strategy franchise aqnd we all know how that turned out.

EDIT: and how could i forget the new jagged alience.given a guess xcom is probably going to be better than these two ,or it could be a travesty.

So long as there are chrysalids and gratuitous environmental destruction, I think I'll be alright with it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked