My Game Just Screwed Me Over

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

So as I've mentioned a couple of times here on the forums, I'm currently playing Fallout 3. It's a lovely game, lots of fun, and it's really cool how it's blended lots of different genres and playstyles in a single game.

But...it just screwed me over.

This part contains spoilers, so I'll put it in a tag, but essentially a mechanic of the game has left me unable to continue.

So let's talk about our gaming woes. When has a game screwed you over?

Mass Effect 3. No, it's not that, so don't start.

After the Priority:Citadel II mission, I went and explored, did some scanning, then saved and headed off to do some multiplayer. Halfway through wave 3, my game crashes. So I boot it up again, deciding to play some more singleplayer. I load up the game, and my Shepard has gone to default look and had credits and exp reset to 0. Every other save on that character was the same. Had to reset from the start.

I have honestly never had moments like that ever. 99% of the time i game on my PC, and there is no situation i can't get out of. You fallout 3 problem, i'd just load up the game and the instant it was loaded, open the console and turn on god mode. swim out then turn off god mode and continue playing.

Another reason to add to the list of why PC > console

Screamarie:
So as I've mentioned a couple of times here on the forums, I'm currently playing Fallout 3. It's a lovely game, lots of fun, and it's really cool how it's blended lots of different genres and playstyles in a single game.

This part contains spoilers, so I'll put it in a tag, but essentially a mechanic of the game has left me unable to continue.

I feel your pain mate, as I think most gamers have had something similar to this happen atleast once.

I think auto-save is a great idea for a lot of people to use, but I however have never used Auto-save in most games that I can turn it off, like Fallout 3. I rely on manuel saves myself. That way a situation like this never happen and I am constantly saving every half hour or so in safe places. If I didn't I would get lazy with my saves and something like what happened to you would happen, and that is a nightmare! XD

Keep playing the game though, it's a suburb title. I know it can be hard to jump back on the horse after such a loss, but maybe try doing your adventure a little differently to make it more fresh?

i think the last one was himiko from wo3 kicking my ass six ways from sunday with her special attack glad i started saving before fighting her not sure if it counts other wise i got nothing i can recall right now

Berenzen:
Mass Effect 3. No, it's not that, so don't start.

After the Priority:Citadel II mission, I went and explored, did some scanning, then saved and headed off to do some multiplayer. Halfway through wave 3, my game crashes. So I boot it up again, deciding to play some more singleplayer. I load up the game, and my Shepard has gone to default look and had credits and exp reset to 0. Every other save on that character was the same. Had to reset from the start.

Same crap happened to me on Priority: Cure the Genophage. I got to the point where the rachni show up. I died reloaded and had all my default equipment and all of my upgrades gone. Everytime I died I had to reapply my upgrades again. Also I never got my reward from one of the citadel missions. I kinda want to kill that salarian now for holding out on me.

That has happened to me in Fallout 3 too. Instead it was me running past a bandit outpost and on low health, I saved the started playing again then got shot by some random bandit. So whenever I loaded, I was killed by the bandit everytime.

Also, on Skyrim, I had this awesome run were I was trying to max out my character before the first dragon encounter. So I went all over Skyrim, did every quest I could and before I did every quest, I ended up in Winterhold and realised I had an arrow sticking out of my head that wouldn't go away. I was really pissed because I hadn't saved for atleast 40 hours...... so I just stopped and got so pissed of at the game I just gave it to my friend.

GethBall:
That has happened to me in Fallout 3 too. Instead it was me running past a bandit outpost and on low health, I saved the started playing again then got shot by some random bandit. So whenever I loaded, I was killed by the bandit everytime.

Also, on Skyrim, I had this awesome run were I was trying to max out my character before the first dragon encounter. So I went all over Skyrim, did every quest I could and before I did every quest, I ended up in Winterhold and realised I had an arrow sticking out of my head that wouldn't go away. I was really pissed because I hadn't saved for atleast 40 hours...... so I just stopped and got so pissed of at the game I just gave it to my friend.

The whole arrow thing happened to me...except mine was in my ass. Literally, I had an arrow stuck in my ass. I got married in the game with an ARROW IN MY ASS! I was hoping it would go away next time I started up the game. Nope. It was still there.

Luckily I was just renting it to try it out first so when I finally do purchase it I shall start a new game.

IrishAdams:

Screamarie:

I feel your pain mate, as I think most gamers have had something similar to this happen atleast once.

I think auto-save is a great idea for a lot of people to use, but I however have never used Auto-save in most games that I can turn it off, like Fallout 3. I rely on manuel saves myself. That way a situation like this never happen and I am constantly saving every half hour or so in safe places. If I didn't I would get lazy with my saves and something like what happened to you would happen, and that is a nightmare! XD

Keep playing the game though, it's a suburb title. I know it can be hard to jump back on the horse after such a loss, but maybe try doing your adventure a little differently to make it more fresh?

Don't worry I will try again, it's just it fills me with a bit of sadness that I fucked up that badly so it's just disheartening you know? But I will continue.

As for playing it differently, I'm roleplaying a character so the decisions I made can't really be undone you know?

But I can at least be happy that the closest save I have to load from is AFTER grayditch. Fucking fire breathing ants...HATE those bastards!

I remember I somehow managed to fuck up Monkey Island 2 so badly that I couldn't progress at all. Was a long time ago, so can't remember exactly how I did it, but got stuck on the island with the spitting contest and couldn't leave, so had to content myself with endless spitting competitions (that I didn't get anything for because i'd already won it).

Had to start from scratch :(

edit - what made it worse was this was on the Amiga - the game was on like 12 floppies or something.

In Half-Life 2 episode 1 I saved my game after a pretty intense gunfight, which left me with 8 health, and then promptly died to a sniper bullet. When I reloaded the save I found that I had actually saved a mere moment before the sniper fires, and that because I had saved in the open it was basically impossible for the sniper to miss, meaning that every time I loaded the game I would die within approximately 1 second. At least the previous save wasn't too far back.

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines. I came across a bug that prevented me from opening doors. I tried saving and reloading and the game crashed. And the same thing happened every time I tried to load it.
And there was of course that time I was playing in Halo: Reach the mission where you fly around in the Falcon. And my Falcon was busted up pretty bad, so I tried to land near the edge of a landing platform so I could push it off and call a new one. Well, when I tried to leave the Falcon, my character jumps out the Falcon and into his death. And obviously, the game has a checkpoint at the exact moment when you leave the Falcon. I don't remember if I tried the mission again.

ice-wind dale, opened a trapped chest and blew up two of my party members and my autosave was way back at the start of the dungeon/map.

Counting Interactive Fiction? I've made pretty much every one of them I've played unwinnable in some way, either using an item where I shouldn't have or just losing track of where I'd left something I needed. I still think Enchanter's dickmove where it gives you a way to dispel any magic (every puzzle in the game is a magical one) is one of the worst, you'd think it was a "Get Out of Puzzle Free" card like the stone was in Wishbringer but nope you actually need it to get to the boss.

Fallout 3 as well. Was busy with the add-on the pitt.
I finished it and returned to the house with the baby to deliver some teddybears when the game crashed and the autosave got corrupted. The previous save was from about 2 hours before. The whole end fight had to be done all over again :/ Took months before i touched it again. Second playthrough some giant radscorpion came close to the hideout where you deliver the fingers. The npc ran outside to be never seen again >.<

Minecraft. Sometimes, the game will decide that if I consecutively hit a button too quickly, that means I want it to be depressed until I go to the menu.

This includes the directional keys, right when I'm delicately tapping them to inch my way around lava.

This phenomena also tends to cancel out other keys, such as shift.

Though roguelikes, with their customary permadeath mechanics, have to take the cake here. I know I've recounted many times the most peculiar situation I ever got myself into with NetHack, but I'd say "screwed" is quite appropriate for being in a room filled with nonhostile incubi and succubi while involuntarily changing species (and often sex) while my HP is being chipped away at by fire ants was... Yeah.
If you don't know NetHack, interacting with nonhostile foocubi results in just what you think it does.

This wasn't my mistake, but it trumps every thing I've ever been screwed by in a video game.

My friend was playing Fallout New Vegas around the same time that the rest of us were, but he's the only one of us who never played it all the way to the end. Not because it wasn't a good game, oh no.

He was exploring a vault(Forgive me for not remembering which one) that was heavily irradiated, with the radiation getting more intense as you went down through the vault. Now, I should mention that my friend doesn't save like he should. Which is to say, he doesn't save at all and relies only on autosaves. You can see where this is going.

Getting to the bottom of the vault had robbed him of all of his rad-away and rad-x, so due to a personal error on his part, I'd imagine, he was almost completely un-supplied on the lowest, most dangerously irradiated level of the vault. Basically, he walked through the door and died two seconds later. And then the game reloaded him. Exactly where he was two seconds ago. To die again. And he had no other saves.

He promptly traded New Vegas in and to this day refuses to acknowledge his obvious chain of mistakes.

Screamarie:

That's sad. I usually save too often, like five times every ten minutes.

I also have a Fallout 3 related story, this time a bug that almost ruined my save. I rely on autosave too much in Fallout, I should learn to manually save more often.

Anyway, I almost lost over 8 hours of gameplay because of a massive glitch. Essentially, after I left a bulding, it would almost instantly crash. This means I was stuck in a loop of reloading the game, it would crash, and then reloading again. I tried everything: shooting as soon as it loaded, turning, quickly trying to go back through the door I just came through. Eventually I figured that in the split second between it loading and freezing I could enter my Pip-Boy, and realised that I could quick travel. That seemed to work, so I went on to complete the game.

Mine would have to be a playthrough of Divinity 2: Ego Draconis, when I made a glass cannon ranger who annihilated just about everything at range. Though she was very squishy, it didn't really matter because I could put down most threats before they deal damage. Then about 30 hours in, I got to one of the end-game bosses (Baal), who would immediately open fights with an unavoidable magic attack that was enough to one-shot me. And since I had pretty much 100%ed the areas leading up to that one, turning back and grinding a couple more levels wasn't an option. I did what I could to max my magic resist, but it was never enough to prevail. I eventually decided to restart the game.

But on the other hand, I'm an obsessive quicksaver, so barring systemic flaws in my approach like that one, I rarely get set very far back.

(Aside: For any X-com original players, I once had a base invasion BEFORE THE FIRST MONTH ENDED. While my squad was away. That was a restart, though I didn't lose much.)

The only game i can ever say has screwed me over badly was Arkham City. It was a great game, i had just completed the story, had a good amount of trophies, good scores on the challenge maps, tons of hours put into this save. And so what happens? I start up the game the next day, only to find that my save has been deleted, everything was gone.

And to this day i have never touched that game again.

Borderlands

The Destroyer didn't even show up to it's own boss fight (I reloaded, went back and forth and everything), so I had to completely scrap my Lilith and lost 23 hours of gameplay.

ArchBlade:

He was exploring a vault(Forgive me for not remembering which one)

That's vault 35.

Fallout 3 and Fallout 3: operation anchorage.
it fucked the whole game up, and not because it was bad. first of all, the simulation is the funniest and most interesting thing i have ever played in a game for a long time, and it's very creativly constructed. but after you step out of the simulation it's just not the same.... because The Game is not as fun anymore because and now we are getting to it:

the chinese fucking stealthsuit, Hei Gui.

i'm not even fucking joking when i'm saying that you can, at 100 stealth skill, attack an enemy with a meele weapon, AND NOT BE DISCOVERED. it's like a stealth-boy, but more awesome.

also, the game is just awesome, but the second playthrough is just soooooo dull.

ALSO, it's so fun that some other games have become less awesome because it has themes close to it.

TL;DR fallout 3 is so awesome it's fucking itself up.

oh and OP, quicksave get. i locked it to , and . or z and x. be carefull and good hunting!

ArchBlade:
This wasn't my mistake, but it trumps every thing I've ever been screwed by in a video game.

My friend was playing Fallout New Vegas around the same time that the rest of us were, but he's the only one of us who never played it all the way to the end. Not because it wasn't a good game, oh no.

He was exploring a vault(Forgive me for not remembering which one) that was heavily irradiated, with the radiation getting more intense as you went down through the vault. Now, I should mention that my friend doesn't save like he should. Which is to say, he doesn't save at all and relies only on autosaves. You can see where this is going.

Getting to the bottom of the vault had robbed him of all of his rad-away and rad-x, so due to a personal error on his part, I'd imagine, he was almost completely un-supplied on the lowest, most dangerously irradiated level of the vault. Basically, he walked through the door and died two seconds later. And then the game reloaded him. Exactly where he was two seconds ago. To die again. And he had no other saves.

He promptly traded New Vegas in and to this day refuses to acknowledge his obvious chain of mistakes.

Woooooowwwww...that's....yeah. I don't know your friend so I don't want to say he's stupid but...yeah that was...ill-advised? That's like ignoring the flashing red lights and the female computer voice going "emergency, emergency."

But it makes for a humorous story. XD

TheIronRuler:

Screamarie:

That's sad. I usually save too often, like five times every ten minutes.

Usually I save more often, especially for a game like Fallout, but I was just really in it and not paying attention. Not to mention I had spent quite a while running around Rivet City where there aren't any enemies, just talking to people so...yeah. Should have thought ahead of time.

But I continued again early this morning and I'm almost back to where I was.

razer17:
I also have a Fallout 3 related story, this time a bug that almost ruined my save. I rely on autosave too much in Fallout, I should learn to manually save more often.

Anyway, I almost lost over 8 hours of gameplay because of a massive glitch. Essentially, after I left a bulding, it would almost instantly crash. This means I was stuck in a loop of reloading the game, it would crash, and then reloading again. I tried everything: shooting as soon as it loaded, turning, quickly trying to go back through the door I just came through. Eventually I figured that in the split second between it loading and freezing I could enter my Pip-Boy, and realised that I could quick travel. That seemed to work, so I went on to complete the game.

Was this PC or console and do you remember where it is so many I can avoid this glitch as well?

Course knowing my luck I'd get the same glitch, open my pip-boy and it wouldn't let me fast travel because and enemy is nearby.

Playing the Anvil of the Void mission on Dragon Age, I picked what sounded like a 'let's all just calm down and discuss this' option, at which point Caridin overreacted massively and tried to kill me, and since I was being a nice guy I had to replay everything from the encounter with the Legion of the Dead onwards.

Screamarie:

Was this PC or console and do you remember where it is so many I can avoid this glitch as well?

Course knowing my luck I'd get the same glitch, open my pip-boy and it wouldn't let me fast travel because and enemy is nearby.

Unfortunately I can't remember where it was. And it was on Xbox 360. And I was worried about not being able to fast travel, I was somewhat lucky that there wasn't any enemies about.

Fallout: NV, It's quite similar to the OP's fail really. In Vault 21 the one where you need to blow up the bottom floor to destroy all the zombie plants.

So being the colossal dramatist that I am, I thought the game was going for a lob dynamite, run for the door while being chased by a wall of fire, barely make it, feel like a badass scenerio

In actuality you're meant to seal yourself in a sideroom 2 feet to your left. /facepalm

After getting instakilled by the fire far before I got to the door I thought of using the Long-Fuse Dynamite to give me more time. Clicked on the door just in time (not) loaded the next area and dropped dead a milisecond later. Fuck fire, man.

Of course it autosaved so I was tried to bring up the menu and outheal the fire a few times (it didn't work) had to say "Fuck it!" and restart that quest from the beginning... I hate Vault quests just because the map is rubbish 99% of the time in those sections so I end up running in circles looking for the exit door and never fahking find the bitchcunting thing!

From now on I always get my Repair skill up to 50 on all playthroughs just to repair the lift down to the bottom floor, grab the data and get out. Quest complete in 30 seconds. Convienience beats morality on this occasion my dear hostage/alternate option giver type person. Sorry about that

Oh and in Oblivion i once ate the Poison Apple by accident and it autosaved. 3 hours out the window. It was hilarious thinking about it now, confusing the drop button with the use button can have srs consequences it seems...

Been (re-)playing heroes 3 lately and in the campaign you usually insta-lose when your main hero dies. The enemy usually also gets a crazy head start in terms of resources/army size and suspiciously good info on your heroes' whereabouts. So sometimes you're happily trodding along when suddenly, out of effin nowhere, an enemy hero with an army ten times the size of yours comes out of the unscouted area of the map and goes straight for your main hero. Battle starts, 3 seconds later it ends. Game over.
And if by coincidence you saved just before it happens, there's often nothing you can do to stop it from happening again after you reload the save. It's a complete checkmate. Which means your only option left is to replay the entire campaign up to that point and hope you don't screw up again.
RAGE

Final fantasy 4 ds, I saved after the first boss fight with the sisters with almost no health and no potions not thinking that there would be another boss fight, needless to say there was another boss fight after the cutscene and had no way to defeat it. I tried running down the 8 floors of the tower without entering a battle but in the end I had start the game over.

My first real soiree into video games, the first one that led to many others.
Pokemon Crystal.
I had just caught Raikou, the last legendary dog that was still eluding me, I decided to save and quit, and upon loading it up the next day it said the game save had been corrupted.
I was four Pokemon away from completing the Pokedex.

I wouldn't say a game has ever screwed me over, but I did manage to lose a side quest NPC in Oblivion. I travelled to the quest area, turned around and she was gone, never could find her at the quest start, quest area, or where the arrow was directly pointing. And obviously because she was the essential NPC for that quest I never could finish it so it just sat there in my quest list, tormenting me.

Screamarie:

ArchBlade:

Woooooowwwww...that's....yeah. I don't know your friend so I don't want to say he's stupid but...yeah that was...ill-advised? That's like ignoring the flashing red lights and the female computer voice going "emergency, emergency."

But it makes for a humorous story. XD

Oh no, don't worry. Calling him stupid was my immediate reaction to hearing this news. And many things after that. >.>

Dirty Hipsters:
In Half-Life 2 episode 1 I saved my game after a pretty intense gunfight, which left me with 8 health, and then promptly died to a sniper bullet. When I reloaded the save I found that I had actually saved a mere moment before the sniper fires, and that because I had saved in the open it was basically impossible for the sniper to miss, meaning that every time I loaded the game I would die within approximately 1 second. At least the previous save wasn't too far back.

Not really the games fault is it?

I had a very similar problem in Tomb Raider 2 in the opera house, one bullet away from death my dad decides to climb a ledge with a guy on and save as Lara does the animation. This was on our shared file, I don't blame the game.

Not the game screwing me over, but my own mistake.

I started a Metal Gear Solid 4 no alerts no kills game. The first enemy I came across saw through my box disguise instantly and flipped it over. He went into alert mode, I snapped his neck. 10 minutes of planning, down the drain.

It's probably happened to me at some point playing Fallout or Skyrim, but I can't honestly recall any specific moments. This did however remind me of a Tobuscus video that is both appropiate and hilarious.

The Gaming Gods have been good to me, so I only have one such story. I was playing Star Fox Adventures (yeah, remember that game?) and was stuck at the "Test of Fear" or whatever it was called. I used to love the game as a kid, but for the life of me I could never beat that part. Then, one day, through a combination of practice and luck, I got that motherf*cking Krazoa Spirit only to have my Gamecube crap out on me (for the first and only time ever).

I later beat the game, but seriously? :/

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked