Games with Archaeologists as the protagonist

Hello Ecapists, a quick question for you all.

Currently working on a presentation for yooouniee on the presentation of Archaeology in gaming media. Just wondered if any of you could name any relatively mainstream games with Archaeologists as the protagonist(s). I know the usual ones of the top of my head (Tomb Raider, the Indy games, Uncharted to a degree), just wondered if any of you could name any I might have missed.

Any help would be much appreciated, and repaid with internet cookies.

Not the protagonist, but a main character - Liara in Mass Effect.

The old Indiana Jones games?

steve from minecraft kinda (strongholds n such)

skyrim? (ruins etc)

sorry best i can think of are games where you explore old forts n stuff

EDIT: assassin's creed )did not see a spoiler button =S ) via apple's of eadem, Alta´r's library

From TVTropes: La-Mulana, Spelunky (both similar 2D exploration platformers). Also a bunch of B-grade point'n'click adventure games from the years when the digits in said year added up to less than nine.

The old Mummy movies where made into games. There was a game of the second movie but I can't say if there was one about the first.

Much love dudes. You have been helpful.

Going way back to my youth, is Quackshot mainstream enough?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuackShot

This game was hilarious.

Do you mean real archeologists or pretend ones? Because Croft, Drake & Co have so much relation to archeology as Wolfenstein to WW2.

Smertnik:
Do you mean real archeologists or pretend ones? Because Croft, Drake & Co have so much relation to archeology as Wolfenstein to WW2.

I am aware of that.

Either is fine.

I'm exploring whether Archaeology in games is little more than an excuse to run around ancient temples and steal shiny lootz, or if it bears and relation to the actual modern practice.

I think it's probably going to be the former.

But we can hope.

I guess.

Archaeologist is a class in NetHack.
If you care to look into or are familiar with Roguelikes, its worth considering; this game is the origin of "The devs think of everything," so there are many little details to playing an arc that could be useful for a presentation.

http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Archeologist

Erana:
Archaeologist is a class in NetHack.
If you care to look into or are familiar with Roguelikes, its worth considering; this game is the origin of "The devs think of everything," so there are many little details to playing an arc that could be useful for a presentation.

http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Archeologist

Aww cheers man, that is actually pretty damn useful. Much love.

I think Henry Hatsworth counts as one - although, that game (Full Title: Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure) was more a sleeper hit then anything. Still it might count - it WAS by EA, so who knows? It's worth looking up, I think, not only for the fact that it links to your project, but it's quite a nice double-genra mashup game to boot.

There are two games in the Secret Files series where you get to play as an archaeologist. But although you explore ancient sites and spend time doing stuff around their location, I don't think you get to do much archaeology.

The Indy games are probably better. Using the surveying equipment on Crete in Fate of Atlantis is probably the closest you'll get to any real archaeology.

You might also want to try Barrow Hill, based on a dig in an area of Cornwall, UK.

For Christs sake. 12 responses and not one person has said Pitfall?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitfall!

Dude, what do you think my presentation opens with?

I know in certain Monster Rancher games (like the original one), part of the game includes taking the monster out to unexplored sites and uncovering runes.

There's also a game (likely DS of PS2) about going and uncovering bones and fossils. Then the bones bring to life a creature for you to care for. Blast, the name eludes me. If only I bought it back then...

No mention of La Mulana yet?

Because La Mulana.

EDIT: Oh, wait, it was mentioned..

Isn't Uncharted's Nathan Drake an archeologist? Pardon my ignorance, don't have a console to play it :<

Old Indiana Jones games come to mind, but movies are closer reference there. Good suggestions above on Liara and the Elder Scrolls games, though the first is not a protagonist (but still one of the main characters) and the latter is not about archeology, but you can certainly look at a lot of what's done in the game as belonging to the field.

Can't think of any more off the top of my head, but am in a rush, will come back to comment later if I think of something :)

edit: oh, Tomb Raider. That's definitely the gaming's most famous archeologist (treasure hunter, but close enough I'd say) and she's an actual protagonist.

edit2: Looks like you actually thought of all that I wrote up there, sorry for not reading the OP... as I said, in a rush :P

Professor Layton is an archaeologist, a puzzle solving archaeologist with an awesome hat.....

As someone doing a degree in the subject however i am nowhere near qualified to waltz into a village and say that it's all messed up. I also look terrible in hotpants...

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked