Does the announcment of "Extended-Cut DLC" satisfy your anger?
Yes
17.8% (37)
17.8% (37)
No
22.1% (46)
22.1% (46)
I'm going to wait to see
58.7% (122)
58.7% (122)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Does the "Extended-Cut" satisfy you?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

In a different poll that I made about how I consider The "Extended-Cut DLC" not a victory one user posted (Zen Toombs) saying we should have a vote. So as the OP of the thread, I'm making one.

For those that were angered by the ending of Mass Effect 3, does this new announcement of an Extended-Cut of the ending, which will entail a series of Cutscene's and a very small select number of possible dialogue, satisfy your anger with BioWare and its EA overlords?

*NOTE*I will create a similar poll, Post-DLC.

I wasn't angered by the ending, just disappointed that BioWare didn't uphold their promises.

The Extended Cut doesn't satisfy me either, because it does not necessarily mean that BioWare has shaped up.

First, their blog post that details the content: link

BioWare's blog:
Are there going to be more/different endings or ending DLCs in the future?

No. BioWare strongly believes in the team's artistic vision for the end of this arc of the Mass Effect franchise. The extended cut DLC will expand on the existing endings, but no further ending DLC is planned.

What is BioWare adding to the ending with the Extended Cut DLC?

BioWare will expanding on the ending to Mass Effect 3 by creating additional cinematics and epilogue scenes to the existing ending sequences. The goal of these new scenes is to provide additional clarity and closure to Mass Effect 3.

So there you have it. Are we proud of the game we made and the team that made it? Hell yes. Are we going to change the ending of the game? No. Do we appreciate the passion and listen to the feedback delivered to us by our fans? Very much so and we are responding.

Now, their PR has been rather flip-floppy and vague lately, so the new content could turn out to be nothing like what is said above. But this particular post isn't vague on one point: The endings will not be changed. Assuming they stick to that, I can't imagine too many people being happy. I'm not satisfied with it, because I believe (like Justin Clouse has said repeatedly in the Escapist podcast) that the ending is broken. It just doesn't fit. It's a stray puzzle piece in the wrong box. I did want more closure, sure. So that's a good thing if they add that. I'll be happy with that particular part of it. But if they keep the core of the ending intact? Nah, it's still broken. I'm sure they will incorporate some creative hand-waving to make things seem to fit better, but I'll always just rather run with the ending I made up in my head.

DustyDrB:
First, their blog post that details the content: link

BioWare's blog:
Are there going to be more/different endings or ending DLCs in the future?

No. BioWare strongly believes in the team's artistic vision for the end of this arc of the Mass Effect franchise. The extended cut DLC will expand on the existing endings, but no further ending DLC is planned.

What is BioWare adding to the ending with the Extended Cut DLC?

BioWare will expanding on the ending to Mass Effect 3 by creating additional cinematics and epilogue scenes to the existing ending sequences. The goal of these new scenes is to provide additional clarity and closure to Mass Effect 3.

So there you have it. Are we proud of the game we made and the team that made it? Hell yes. Are we going to change the ending of the game? No. Do we appreciate the passion and listen to the feedback delivered to us by our fans? Very much so and we are responding.

Now, their PR has been rather flip-floppy and vague lately, so the new content could turn out to be nothing like what is said above. But this particular post isn't vague on one point: The endings will not be changed. Assuming they stick to that, I can't imagine too many people being happy. I'm not satisfied with it, because I believe (like Justin Clouse has said repeatedly in the Escapist podcast) that the ending is broken. It just doesn't fit. It's a stray puzzle piece in the wrong box. I did want more closure, sure. So that's a good thing if they add that. I'll be happy with that particular part of it. But if they keep the core of the ending intact? Nah, it's still broken. I'm sure they will incorporate some creative hand-waving to make things seem to fit better, but I'll always just rather run with the ending I made up in my head.

Personally im content with more closure.

Sure, the ending sucked, but for me personally, it wasnt really the ending itself, its how it was done. I am sure that if they had included these additional cinematic (provided they do give closure) in the original game, the shitstorm would have been much smaller.

It satisfies me about as much as masturbating over a cheese sandwich.

As much as I like a cheese sandwich, the addition of sperm is a bit off putting.

The analogy is strange so i'll explain.

I liked ME3 (it has it's flaws but that's for one of the hundred or so threads about that). ME3 is like that cheese sandwich.

BioWare slapping a jizz fountain on the end won't improve that sandwich, it just makes me look at it and think "that's a bit strange, a cheese and semen sammich".

The reason i'm not all that impressed is a simple one.

It should have been there to start with. Not as extra added in spunk at the end of a long pull on the man snake but a tasty addition of Mayonnaise during the sandwich making process.

It shouldn't have taken an uproar like "retake Mass Effect" to do anything. A developer with BioWare's track record (this past year not withstanding) should already know leaving shit flying in the air will land back on their faces.

Jaeke:
For those that were angered by the ending of Mass Effect 3, does this new announcement of an Extended-Cut of the ending, which will entail a series of Cutscene's and a very small select number of possible dialogue, satisfy your anger with BioWare and its EA overlords?

No. If anything, it makes things worse. Here's why.

a cross between no and wait and see

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Personally im content with more closure.

Sure, the ending sucked, but for me personally, it wasnt really the ending itself, its how it was done. I am sure that if they had included these additional cinematic (provided they do give closure) in the original game, the shitstorm would have been much smaller.

The closure will be nice, sure. But I can't say I'll be content with the ending when it still contains all the things that make absolutely no sense (again, assuming that blog post is 100% spot-on. In actuality, I'm more along the lines of "wait-and-see". But that doesn't make for very interesting discussion).

As long as godchild is in the game I will not be satisfied. HE IS THE PLOT HOLE! You can't fix plot holes without getting rid of the little shit.

This is what the DLC will be like. Imagine hiring a hooker, only to find out that it's a transvestite. So in order to satisfy you, the dude cuts his own dick off and says "there, happy now?" It doesn't make it any better. If anything, it only creates a bigger mess and makes you doubt all future hookers.

Adam Jensen:
As long as godchild is in the game I will not be satisfied. HE IS THE PLOT HOLE! You can't fix plot holes without getting rid of the little shit.

This is what the DLC will be like. Imagine hiring a hooker, only to find out that it's a transvestite. So in order to satisfy you, the dude cuts his own dick off and says "there, happy now?" It doesn't make it any better. If anything, it only creates a bigger mess and makes you doubt all future hookers.

Except nothing about the Ctalysts existence is a pothole, his motivations may be a plot hole, which they aren't, but he himself is not.

SajuukKhar:

Adam Jensen:

Except nothing about the Ctalysts existence is a pothole, his motivations may be a plot hole, which they aren't, but he himself is not.

Oh really? If he existed this whole time and he controls the Reapers, then why did Sovereign need to find the conduit? Why couldn't that little shithead (who lives in the fuckin' Citadel) just override whatever the protheans did to prevent the Reapers from coming? Just because he couldn't? No further explanation? That sounds like a plot hole to me.

Adam Jensen:
Oh really? If he existed this whole time and he controls the Reapers, then why did Sovereign need to find the conduit? Why couldn't that little shithead (who lives in the fuckin' Citadel) just override whatever the protheans did to prevent the Reapers from coming? Just because he couldn't? No further explanation? That sounds like a plot hole to me.

There's any number of possible reasons up to and including that he wasn't programmed to be able to open it himself in case he went rouge so he couldn't start an invasion before civilizations were at a technologically sufficient level.

Rawne1980:
It satisfies me about as much as masturbating over a cheese sandwich.

As much as I like a cheese sandwich, the addition of sperm is a bit off putting.

The analogy is strange so i'll explain.

I liked ME3 (it has it's flaws but that's for one of the hundred or so threads about that). ME3 is like that cheese sandwich.

BioWare slapping a jizz fountain on the end won't improve that sandwich, it just makes me look at it and think "that's a bit strange, a cheese and semen sammich".

The reason i'm not all that impressed is a simple one.

It should have been there to start with. Not as extra added in spunk at the end of a long pull on the man snake but a tasty addition of Mayonnaise during the sandwich making process.

It shouldn't have taken an uproar like "retake Mass Effect" to do anything. A developer with BioWare's track record (this past year not withstanding) should already know leaving shit flying in the air will land back on their faces.

dude no, im eating a cheese sandwich while reading this why

SajuukKhar:

Adam Jensen:

There's any number of possible reasons up to and including that he wasn't programmed to be able to open it himself in case he went rouge so he couldn't start an invasion before civilizations were at a technologically sufficient level.

None of which are so much as alluded to in-game. That's a glaring omission of plot-critical data, which is - categorically - a plothole.

I don't know. I haven't played it yet.

Unfortunately BioWare's PR is about as elegant and conclusive as... Well, the ending to the game, so I have absolutely no clue how to take it until I get my hands on it. The constantly disappointed optimist in me is hopin' for the best, preparin' for the worst.

Asita:

SajuukKhar:

Adam Jensen:

None of which are so much as alluded to in-game. That's a glaring omission of plot-critical data, which is - categorically - a plothole.

Exactly. So it doesn't sound like the DLC will do any good to the game. Fuck that makes me so depressed.

Asita:

SajuukKhar:

Adam Jensen:

It's something that the DLC better explain. My bet?

(Note: I'm not claiming this is a GOOD explanation. I am claiming that it came from a completely sober mind... erm, actually can I retroactively claim that I was drunk when I posted this, if it turns out to be stupid?)

Asita:

By that logic everything from "why didn't The Reapers just throw indoctrination devices on every world" to "why dont The reapers jut go around blowing up every possible habitable world" is a inexcusable plothole.

Villians in video games never make sense, and never do what they SHOULD have done, but this is a relatively minor plothole compared to other games.
You know the whole "we are gonna use a satellite to close the superportal" thing in HL2 EP2? Its so pointless because the combine could just teleport their forces to another world then teleport in from THAT world.

The ENTIRE "portal" plot of Episode 2 is itself a plothole because they DONT do anything that could prevent The Combine from just opening a portal from another planet besides their homeworld.

Now THAT is a plothole because there is NO explanation as to why The Resistance things what they did would even hinder The Combine.

I chose no because I seriously doubt the extended DLC is going to make me happy. I hope to be surprised but...yeah...no

But am I going to download it in the summer? You bet your bippy because at this point I'm grasping at fucking anything to fix that....*shudder* ending if it can so be called.

I believe it was Zhukov that said something along the lines of the DLC taking it from 100% shit down to just 80% shit and I have to agree.

SajuukKhar:

Asita:

By that logic everything from "why didn't The Reapers just throw indoctrination devices on every world" to "why dont The reapers jut go around blowing up every possible habitable world" is a inexcusable plothole.

This was explained, albeit rather lazily, as the Reapers harvesting only the most advanced civilizations. This is why the "Yo dawg" meme is inaccurate; the Reapers took the Protheans 50,000 years ago but not the Humans because the Protheans were advanced enough to potentially create synthetic life, and so it was time to destroy them so the cycle could begin again. Humans were still looking at rocks and saying "Oook" while installing DOS, so were nowhere near advanced enough to create synthetic life.

First point (why no indoctrination devices on every world) is a damned good question. I'm not sure I would call it a plot hole at this time, but it's got enough merit that I'm not going to argue that it isn't a plot hole. Heck, why isn't the Citadel just one massive indoctrination device? I'm pretty sure that the Reapers in ME1 or ME2 mention that the Citadel is designed to be the central hub of galactic civilization - if you get the biggest and most powerful diplomats in the galaxy indoctrinated, wouldn't that make it easier to take down the galaxy each time?

"Hmm. It's that time again. And look! Humans are the ones we want to turn into the next Reaper. So let's do a little mind-warping on this delightfully quaint "Council" (so much more amusing than those Protheans last time. And with the proper amount of eyes!) to allow Humans to settle all over the place, to breed like pyjaks until there's enough to easily make a new Reaper out of them, and then have the diplomats sign a bunch of non-aggression treaties so they stop making so many warships and weapons. This will make it so very much easier for us to come in, kill everything that can masturbate to internet pron, and let the cycle begin again."

Frankly, I'm not surprised. I didn't think Bioware or EA would want to put the financial resources or time in to bringing back all pertinent voice actors. A new DLC with some cinematics and an epilogue would not require as much work.

With so much of the ME fan base being inflamed about this, it will be interesting to see just what percentage will be appeased (or at least somewhat appeased). Not everyone will be content, that is a given.

SajuukKhar:

Asita:

Former's given a plausible allusion by the virtue of the inverse relationship between competency and indoctrination, combined with Mass Effect 2 establishing that they want their victims alive, which in turn also alludes to the answer for the second question. Care to try again? Though perhaps you're right in that I should refine the definition: An omission of plot-critical data that in turn causes events within the story to not logically follow. Fair definition?

SajuukKhar:
You know the whole "we are gonna use a satellite to close the superportal" thing in HL2 EP2? Its so pointless because the combine could just teleport their forces to another world then teleport in from THAT world.

The ENTIRE "portal" plot of Episode 2 is itself a plothole because they DONT do anything that could prevent The Combine from just opening a portal from another planet besides their homeworld.

Now THAT is a plothole because there is NO explanation as to why The Resistance things what they did would even hinder The Combine.

It's established in game that Combine portal technology is far from efficient. The citadel needed an entire dark fusion reactor just to try to send one person to another world. The superportal thus provides a unique opportunity to send units en masse. As noted by various members throughout the game, Combine portal technology relies on tunnelling directly to another world, rather than using the [vastly more efficient] slingshot effect the Resistance used in its portal tech. As to the portal plot: Again established in-game (by Kleiner's broadcasts in Episode 1) that the destruction of the Citadel's reactor effectively put a damper on the Combine's portal technology, effectively cutting Earth off (at least temporarily) from the Combine homeworld if the superportal was taken offline.

Tono Makt:
This was explained, albeit rather lazily, as the Reapers harvesting only the most advanced civilizations. This is why the "Yo dawg" meme is inaccurate; the Reapers took the Protheans 50,000 years ago but not the Humans because the Protheans were advanced enough to potentially create synthetic life, and so it was time to destroy them so the cycle could begin again. Humans were still looking at rocks and saying "Oook" while installing DOS, so were nowhere near advanced enough to create synthetic life.

First point (why no indoctrination devices on every world) is a damned good question. I'm not sure I would call it a plot hole at this time, but it's got enough merit that I'm not going to argue that it isn't a plot hole. Heck, why isn't the Citadel just one massive indoctrination device? I'm pretty sure that the Reapers in ME1 or ME2 mention that the Citadel is designed to be the central hub of galactic civilization - if you get the biggest and most powerful diplomats in the galaxy indoctrinated, wouldn't that make it easier to take down the galaxy each time?

"Hmm. It's that time again. And look! Humans are the ones we want to turn into the next Reaper. So let's do a little mind-warping on this delightfully quaint "Council" (so much more amusing than those Protheans last time. And with the proper amount of eyes!) to allow Humans to settle all over the place, to breed like pyjaks until there's enough to easily make a new Reaper out of them, and then have the diplomats sign a bunch of non-aggression treaties so they stop making so many warships and weapons. This will make it so very much easier for us to come in, kill everything that can masturbate to internet pron, and let the cycle begin again."

The Reapers only harvest civilizations so they can have numbers to continue the cycle. If they just blew up every habitable world the cycle would end and they wouldn't need to harvest things.
Continuing with the indoctrination device theory, why not make all the Mass Relays and The Citadel uber slow indoctrination devices so that when The Reapers do arrive everyone is already so mind raped to the point that The Reapers turning up the levels just completes it.

I guess it might be explained as a "over time the organics mind would develop some resistance to it" but there is the equal chance that they would develop dependance on the signal also... so.
The point I was making was all enemies in games/movies/TV shows are only beaten because they make a litany of unreasonably stupid mistakes and/or there's some highly improbable yet still explainable reason as to why they dont just activate the doomsday device themselves.

Is it bad writing? yes
Does Mass Effect doing it make it worse then literally every other form of media with a badguy in it that does it also, which is to say all of it? no.

It is stupid and I wont deny that at all, but really out of all the stupid stuff badguys have done and all the unreasonably helpful limitations badguys have that let the goodguys win this is relatively minor compared to a large percentage of media.

No, because I had no anger. I thought the endings where just fine.

Adam Jensen:

SajuukKhar:

Adam Jensen:

You're just assuming things from a series of unexplained plot-points, you assume that it is simply a plothole or that there was no restriction in the Star-child's control over the reapers. You could assume that the Star-child could not reach the Conduit (because it was independent from the rest of the network and was built by the Protheans), making the entire thing seem more plausible, just as easily as you could assume it is simply a plot-hole.

This is the problem with gamers expectations when it comes to video-game stories, they are in this constant need of explanation of EVERYTHING, unless they invalidate it through their own interpretation. Gamers want closure for every aspect of the story, including minor technical details and shit, leaving things up to interpretation impossible because we will just assume the worst.

Shit is still shit, even if you dress it up nicely and put a bow on it. I'll hold my judgement until I see the end result, but since they're not fixing the train wreck, just adding more cars to the train, my outlook is very poor.

Asita:

It's established in game that Combine portal technology is far from efficient. The citadel needed an entire dark fusion reactor just to try to send one person to another world. The superportal thus provides a unique opportunity to send units en masse. As noted by various members throughout the game, Combine portal technology relies on tunnelling directly to another world, rather than using the [vastly more efficient] slingshot effect the Resistance used in its portal tech. As to the portal plot: Again established in-game (by Kleiner's broadcasts in Episode 1) that the destruction of the Citadel's reactor effectively put a damper on the Combine's portal technology, effectively cutting Earth off (at least temporarily) from the Combine homeworld if the superportal was taken offline.

The Combine overworld, and all of their other worlds across the multiverse, have Citadels on them, numbering in the hundreds if not thousands, and they could easily just move their forces from one world to another and then teleport from that world.

The inability to teleport within the same dimension or universe is irrelevant because they could just move their forces from universe A, the overworld, to Universe B, and then use Universe B's citadels to teleport into Universe C, our universe.

The lack of a functioning citadel on Earth is also irellevant because they only need one citadel to transport somewhere. Also the rift caused by the black Mesa Incident, which is what they used to invade the first time, is still wide open, as evidenced by Mark Laidlaw saying the portal storms have been raging across Earth the whole time, and the portal storms were caused by said rift.

Furthermore given their advanced technology, they could also just make a superportal one one of their worlds and tunnel it into ours.

So again the Combine could easily invade Earth again in a matter of hours or days regardless of the fact the superportal was closed.

I don't know if it has satisfied me because I haven't seen it, but in theory, yes it does. All I want is an explanation. I don't think they should change it, just tell us what the heck was going on.

I'm willing to give this a chance. However, unless this extended cut miraculously covers up every plot hole and answers what the fuck was up with the ending in a manner that is consistent with the rest of the Mass Effect Universe then I'm gonna be pissed and just give up on the damn series. Even then, i would very much like an explanation for why all my squad-mates after fighting egomaniacs and surviving suicide missions decide at a critical moment to go "FUCK THIS SHIT!" and effectively abandon Shepard and the entire final battle.

This is their last chance, but I'm willing to see what this DLC does and if it puts all my complaints to rest.

I'm willing to wait and see. It could offer a lot of clarity and fill in plot holes that were originally there and that's fine. It's not a new ending, but I understand this is the hand we were dealt and anything else, while better, won't feel like how it really happened. On the other hand the stuff that's there fails on every concievable level and it'll still be there. I can think of ways to justify stuff, while keeping the sequence of events the same though.

If it nicely ties everything up and explains the plot holes then yest.

If not, no.

Wait and see for me. I don't see how anyone could vote yes without having actually seen the content...

SajuukKhar:

The Combine overworld, and all of their other worlds, have Citadels on them, and they dont need a Citadel at both locations to teleport somewhere.

Citation, please. The only instances we have to work off of are the superportal and associated portal storms (first responsible for the Seven Hour War at the time of HL1 and a key plot point of HL2-Ep2), Breen's unsuccessful attempt, and the models based off of the Resistance's tech, and that used by the world of Xen, which the devs have made clear were refugees from a world conquered by the Combine. Like it or not, the HL team did cover this at least by allusion.

Adam Jensen:

SajuukKhar:

Adam Jensen:

The logical conclusion to me is that the Catalsyt DOESN'T actually control the Reapers.

If the catalyst is what is says, then none of the events in the trilogy would have played out the way they did - but they did, which means that either the Catalyst is stupid, or else it is lying.

And since is strains my disbelief to think that an AI that's tens of millions of years old can't figure out how to outwit a single 32-year-old human and bring about the reaper harvest, that leads me to conclude that it must be incapable of doing so, which means the Catalyst is either deliberately lying to you, or else it is completely delusional - either way, nothing it says can be taken at face value.

Probably not, but I have hope. The ending contradicted canon and was generally incredibly stupid, so I'm not as happy as I would be if they scrapped it and had the real writers make a new one that fit the story. But they promised more personalization based on the choices you'd made (the primary thing it lacked), an explanation of what the hell just happened and what your decision meant, etc. So they might have made it into something decent. It's unlikely, because if they don't remove at least half the scenes in the ending cutscene they won't be able to make a story that makes sense out of them, but I will retain my hope for now.

No, because it pretty much ignores the bulk of what people hated about the ending.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked