At the risk of sounding boorish: Journey Sucked

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Let me preface this by saying i love games that pay attention to little details. It makes the world feel like a real place, and the attention to detail naturally differentiates settings so it feels like you are on a real journey. Dark souls is the perfect example of this, while Dragon Age 2 is the anti-thesis.

Journey gets this attention to detail pitch perfectly, from the reactions of the character to sand, wind, and falling from heights, to the actual movement of the sand which falls and settles realistically.

Unfortunately its about the only thing the game does right. In fact, its about the only thing the "game" does. Its basically one giant, very pretty 2 hour long screen saver ... if that. There's nothing to do in this game, nothing has any consequence, and at 15$, this game is absolute trash. I could see giving this thing away for free as promotional demo for ipads or whatever, but as a game... I hesitate to even call it that.

Now, it would be very easy for everyone to say "You just don't get it, its art, its beyond you", id like to ask people to refrain from using these boring arguments, and only reply with interesting and logical arguments as to why I'm wrong, why this game is worth 15$, and more importantly why this thing is worth anyone's 2 hours.

Did you play it while online?

If you did not play it whilst online you have failed in your attempt at playing Journey.

Kasurami:
Did you play it while online?

If you did not play it whilst online you have failed in your attempt at playing Journey.

yes i did, almost pointless, cursorily intriguing but they never did anything with it

Stilt:
yes i did, almost pointless, cursorily intriguing but they never did anything with it

Huh.

Well, opinions will be opinions, I guess. I'm not entirely sure how your feelings could be so vitriolic, but it's not the kinda game where you can try and convince someone it's better than they believe it to be.

Did you play alone?

I hear a big selling point of Journey is playing with someone. So maybe you need a partner so you can have that awesome adventure that needs no words.

It provided an interesting form of co-operative play. Where you didn't really 'need' one another but there were many subtle nudges towards still remaining around eachother. Allowing you to give one another small benefits (restoring their scarf for long jumps), showing them paths or a glyph they may have missed, or generally making things go a bit smoother (such as with keeping warm in the snowy place). All without ever having a means of direct communication which made it all the more interesting.

Being helped by someone I never spoke with or even knew the name of gave a warm fuzzy feeling on the inside. As did finding someone I traveled with waiting patiently at the end of one of the sliding sections for me when he pulled ahead. It gave me reason enough that during a segment where we got spotted by one of the worm things, I ran off to ensure that only I took the hit instead of both of us. All that made it rather disappointing when we finally got separated.

These experiences were made interesting by the feeling of isolation and the wall between communication. $15 may be a bit pricey for a game so short, but you can argue the exact price of any game ever all day long, unless I paid a very large amount for something that failed to deliver in the slightest, I tend not to get hung up on it. The experiences made it well worth a couple hours of my time though.

I tried to play with someone but everybody I ran into just kept abusing the ping button which was really annoying.

King Kupofried:
It provided an interesting form of co-operative play. Where you didn't really 'need' one another but there were many subtle nudges towards still remaining around eachother. Allowing you to give one another small benefits (restoring their scarf for long jumps), showing them paths or a glyph they may have missed, or generally making things go a bit smoother (such as with keeping warm in the snowy place). All without ever having a means of direct communication which made it all the more interesting.

Being helped by someone I never spoke with or even knew the name of gave a warm fuzzy feeling on the inside. As did finding someone I traveled with waiting patiently at the end of one of the sliding sections for me when he pulled ahead. It gave me reason enough that during a segment where we got spotted by one of the worm things, I ran off to ensure that only I took the hit instead of both of us. All that made it rather disappointing when we finally got separated.

These experiences were made interesting by the feeling of isolation and the wall between communication. $15 may be a bit pricey for a game so short, but you can argue the exact price of any game ever all day long, unless I paid a very large amount for something that failed to deliver in the slightest, I tend not to get hung up on it. The experiences made it well worth a couple hours of my time though.

Sure, tthat warm fuzzing feeling is there when I play multiplayer, but I mean I get that in plenty of games, mmo's in particular. While journey may have that feeling, its hard for me to justify that for 15 bucks. And I have a hard time believing anyone is really going to replay this thing for that

Maybe because people like different things? Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it's trash. I would say it's impossible to give a "logical" reason your wrong when it comes to something as illogical and enjoyment from a game. You're not wrong in saying you didn't enjoy it though I would question your decision to buy it if you had done any reading, since I don't think this game was advertised as much else other than a journey.

I loved everything about the game.

I personally think it's the best example of 'games as art' available.

You don't and that's fine.

BLAARG!! RAGE RAGE RAGE!! >XP JURNI WUZ AWZOME! U JUST DONT UNDERSTAND IT!!!11!

LOL, Just kidding. :)

OT: It's your opinion and I respect that. I personally thought it was an amazing game. I'll admit it is pretty short, but I found it to have quite a bit of replay value. What with collecting everything, the increasing amount of embroideries on your cloak for every time you beat the game, the players you can meet, and the game itself is one hell of a ride.

I played through the game five times myself, and I may even play a sixth time. The game was that great to me.

edit

It did nothing me for me either.

It's fucking gorgeous, but it's vapid. (As described in my user review, *cough* shameless self-promotion *cough*.)

It's all well and good having people pop up in my game, and from a technical perspective it's pretty impressive given that it's seamless, but... so fucking what? Someone who is completely meaningless, to the the extent that they may as well be a background NPC, is in my game. Brilliant.

I don't need much to get a connection going, but I need something to latch on to initially, or else they're just there.

Similarly, the game's metaphor is so transparent (I'd guessed it by the time I got to the title screen) and dull that there's nothing that held my interest. It's the 'go to' metaphor for any project where people want to be artsy (and I am complete in favour of people being artsy, don't get me wrong - I did expect to enjoy Journey) without having to really try. It's overused and uninteresting. The only way I can imagine anyone found that aspect of it profound is if they'd never actually read, watched or played anything before.

2 hours of looking at something pretty was fine, but that's all it was, and 2 hours would have been about the limit of my patience with it had it been any longer.

EClaris:
Maybe because people like different things? Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it's trash. I would say it's impossible to give a "logical" reason your wrong when it comes to something as illogical and enjoyment from a game. You're not wrong in saying you didn't enjoy it though I would question your decision to buy it if you had done any reading, since I don't think this game was advertised as much else other than a journey.

Fair enough, but what is trash then? I mean by your logic literal trash isn't trash to someone on the planet. The wet 3 day old lettuce next to the stale half burrito that i didnt eat rotting on top of the dressing soaked carboard of my trash bin is art to someone. Obviously thats an extreme argument but Im just trying to illustrate the point that there is a point where a project can be considered trash, this game happens to cross that threshold for me because as much as I wanted to like it, I was bored out of my skull. I kept thinking I'd rather play dark souls for the 10th time if I wanted a real journey instead of just... walking for 2 hours

This thread seems legit.

Stilt:

EClaris:

Fair enough, but what is trash then? I mean by your logic literal trash isn't trash to someone on the planet. The wet 3 day old lettuce next to the stale half burrito that i didnt eat rotting on top of the dressing soaked carboard of my trash bin is art to someone. Obviously thats an extreme argument but Im just trying to illustrate the point that there is a point where a project can be considered trash, this game happens to cross that threshold for me because as much as I wanted to like it, I was bored out of my skull. I kept thinking I'd rather play dark souls for the 10th time if I wanted a real journey instead of just... walking for 2 hours

Your argument isn't extreme, it's a strawman, I'm not defending all actual waste as art. I'm pretty sure it was blatantly obvious I wasn't using "trash" in the literal sense and was using a vocabulary similar to the set up in your OP. And while I agree there is a point that a work on the whole (even with redeeming elements) can be terrible, I disagree with applying the idea that Journey is just plain terrible seeing as many people enjoy it.

You didn't like it and that's okay. It's not your fault, and it's not Journey's fault.
Opinions like this are hardly worth arguing over or a thread

Kahunaburger:

This thread seems legit.

He waited three days at least.

Stilt:

EClaris:

well, you can't just go and say "I believe it to be trash so everyone else should"
Obviously, you seem to be the type of game player that want's everything thrown at your without working for it, otherwise you consider it to be boring
not everything is meant to be similar, otherwise, everything would be of the same shade of gray and physically identical in every way, boring to the extreme. Journey was meant as a way to explore a new world and share that experience with those you meet on the way, not some gunslinger explosion wet dream.
The way I see, it is because of people that share your mindset that new and inventive game styles, accessories, and genres are afraid to be made because people don't want anything new, or if it is new, it must be at least 95% copied from what was popular before. You need to be willing to sit down and experience what the developers and artists have given you to sample in its entirety before shooting it down.

BNguyen:

Stilt:

EClaris:

well, you can't just go and say "I believe it to be trash so everyone else should"
Obviously, you seem to be the type of game player that want's everything thrown at your without working for it, otherwise you consider it to be boring
not everything is meant to be similar, otherwise, everything would be of the same shade of gray and physically identical in every way, boring to the extreme. Journey was meant as a way to explore a new world and share that experience with those you meet on the way, not some gunslinger explosion wet dream.
The way I see, it is because of people that share your mindset that new and inventive game styles, accessories, and genres are afraid to be made because people don't want anything new, or if it is new, it must be at least 95% copied from what was popular before. You need to be willing to sit down and experience what the developers and artists have given you to sample in its entirety before shooting it down.

I haven't played and fps since grade school because thats when I got fucken sick of em so dont pretend to know my taste in games. I've cited dark souls twice already and it doesn't get any deeper, or less hand holding then that. This game literally has one control, up. Oh wait no make that two controls, move and jump. This is fun in a flash game like meatboy or avalanche, in a 15 dollar game its lazy and unnacceptable. IMOOOOOOO

EClaris:

Stilt:

EClaris:

Your argument isn't extreme, it's a strawman, I'm not defending all actual waste as art. I'm pretty sure it was blatantly obvious I wasn't using "trash" in the literal sense and was using a vocabulary similar to the set up in your OP. And while I agree there is a point that a work on the whole (even with redeeming elements) can be terrible, I disagree with applying the idea that Journey is just plain terrible seeing as many people enjoy it.

You didn't like it and that's okay. It's not your fault, and it's not Journey's fault.

Kahunaburger:

This thread seems legit.

EClaris:

Stilt:

EClaris:

Kahunaburger:

This thread seems legit.

I see that dismissal tossed around too lightly, and Im afraid almost no one knows what it really means. The term Im referring to is straw man. You mistake me for making the argument that the game is trash to everybody, which isnt the case at all. Im just saying why I didnt like the game, why I dont get how other people can like the game, and receiving arguments from others like yourself as to why I should like the game or why it is worth my time or what I may be missing. For me to be using a straw man, I first have to be arguing a point. Since that requisite hasnt been fulfilled, your portrayal of my position as "strawman" is inherently deceptive.

Stilt:

I see that dismissal tossed around too lightly, and Im afraid almost no one knows what it really means. The term Im referring to is straw man. You mistake me for making the argument that the game is trash to everybody, which isnt the case at all. Im just saying why I didnt like the game, why I dont get how other people can like the game, and receiving arguments from others like yourself as to why I should like the game or why it is worth my time or what I may be missing. For me to be using a straw man, I first have to be arguing a point. Since that requisite hasnt been fulfilled, your portrayal of my position as "strawman" is inherently deceptive.

Well I know strawmanning to make an argument close to your opponents then attacking that instead of their actual argument. If I'm wrong, then that's fine because you still have distorted my point. My argument was that you not liking a game does not invalidate its worth. And you were not making an argument, you need to alter your language so it does not sound so confrontational.

"this game is absolute trash"~implies that the game itself is inherently trash
"but as a game... I hesitate to even call it that"-you're devaluing Journey as a game entirely, despite people who might have enjoyed it.
"why I'm wrong, why this game is worth 15$, and more importantly why this thing is worth anyone's 2 hours"-Here is your argument. And for the sake of ending this discussion I'll answer them individually with my original position.
~Wrong is a bit of a strong word and I don't think you enjoyed this game but there are people who do. And that's why Journey is not trash.
~It's worth $15 because that's what people are willing to pay for it and it will continue to sell at that price point until people stop buying
~It is worth some people's 2 hours because they might find it enjoyable or engaging.

There pretty much isn't anything else to discuss as I've clarified my position and this thread doesn't have a deep topic that can really be debated.
You didn't like a game, the world marches on and the game is still liked by other people.

Toodles!

Kahunaburger:

This thread seems legit.

He puts out a view, asks for other views. That's what I'd describe as a legitimate topic, no matter the join date.

It's not exactly the most passive post in the world but dismissing it because of his join date is ridiculous.

Kahunaburger:
This thread seems legit.

OP is totally Zeel. I was wrong last time I thought an OP was Zeel, but this time I'm RIGHT, damn it. That's Zeel.

I've not even managed to stay interested enough to finish it as yet, though I do keep meaning to just on the off chance I either a) change my mind or b) still don't like it that much and have something to ramble on about somewhere.

Possibly the issue for me was the *massive* amount of journo-love it got pre-release, by the time I got around to buying the game I was already heartily sick of hearing about people wanting to have babies with it.

For a plus point it does at least show that a game can be popular and try something that hasn't been done before.

EClaris:

Stilt:

Well I know strawmanning to make an argument close to your opponents then attacking that instead of their actual argument. If I'm wrong, then that's fine because you still have distorted my point. My argument was that you not liking a game does not invalidate its worth. And you were not making an argument, you need to alter your language so it does not sound so confrontational.

"this game is absolute trash"~implies that the game itself is inherently trash
"but as a game... I hesitate to even call it that"-you're devaluing Journey as a game entirely, despite people who might have enjoyed it.
"why I'm wrong, why this game is worth 15$, and more importantly why this thing is worth anyone's 2 hours"-Here is your argument. And for the sake of ending this discussion I'll answer them individually with my original position.
~Wrong is a bit of a strong word and I don't think you enjoyed this game but there are people who do. And that's why Journey is not trash.
~It's worth $15 because that's what people are willing to pay for it and it will continue to sell at that price point until people stop buying
~It is worth some people's 2 hours because they might find it enjoyable or engaging.

There pretty much isn't anything else to discuss as I've clarified my position and this thread doesn't have a deep topic that can really be debated.
You didn't like a game, the world marches on and the game is still liked by other people.

Toodles!

Which is morally worse, forcing someone to live that doesn't want to, or forcing someone to die that doesn't want to?

Stilt:

Which is morally worse, forcing someone to live that doesn't want to, or forcing someone to die that doesn't want to?

A)what does that have to do with your topic? Or is it because we've both spoken our peace and understand each other and mutually respect each other's position that we're moving on to anoter topic? (heh? heh?)

B)Forcing someone to die that doesn't want to (disclaimer: my personal opinion and because I have not attained the highest mode of Hegelian spirit I do not know absolute truth, take with some bacon flavored salt)

Why make this thread, it's evident that the appeal of journey - the atmosphere, the connection you make with the complete strangers is not for you. It's not an active game, it's absolutely nothing like dark souls or any traditional game in that challenge was never part of its design. The appeal of the game is in its power to create a connection with others at a basic level. You;re correct that you can get the same connectiion from people in most multiplayer games but it's incidental there, rather than being the focus.

That's what the game is about as far as I'm concerned; the experience of cooperation with others to acchieve a goal. Certainly it's minimalist but adding more would take away from the central focus.

The replaybility comes from meeting different people and how drastically different attitudes can change things and how different partners can be without ever saying a word - I played it through once start to finish with the same random companion and again where I had several people pretty much ignore me, it really changes the game.

In addition: Since when did length equate to value? Portal is something like 6 hours long and I'd be willing to pay more for that experience than I would for a Call of Duty game with it's infinite muliplayer timesink. If someone is able to craft an experience that lasts 10 seconds that's sufficiently stupendous then I'd pay 50.

My opinion of a subjective work is more valid than your opinion of a subjective work.

Evilpigeon:
Why make this thread, it's evident that the appeal of journey - the atmosphere, the connection you make with the complete strangers is not for you. It's not an active game, it's absolutely nothing like dark souls or any traditional game in that challenge was never part of its design. The appeal of the game is in its power to create a connection with others at a basic level. You;re correct that you can get the same connectiion from people in most multiplayer games but it's incidental there, rather than being the focus.

That's what the game is about as far as I'm concerned; the experience of cooperation with others to acchieve a goal. Certainly it's minimalist but adding more would take away from the central focus.

The replaybility comes from meeting different people and how drastically different attitudes can change things and how different partners can be without ever saying a word - I played it through once start to finish with the same random companion and again where I had several people pretty much ignore me, it really changes the game.

In addition: Since when did length equate to value? Portal is something like 6 hours long and I'd be willing to pay more for that experience than I would for a Call of Duty game with it's infinite muliplayer timesink. If someone is able to craft an experience that lasts 10 seconds that's sufficiently stupendous then I'd pay 50.

its called salvia.

I guess the heart of what I'm saying is that I thought it was ... booring, and I have a hard time understanding what anyone is getting out of this. From my perspective it just seems like a bunch of people wanting to appear chic and hip to a select group of other hip chic "tastemakers" (god I hate that term). I just needed something more substantial in the game, a feeling of progression, just, something.

Evilpigeon:

Hear, Hear!

I loved Journey. It's soundtrack, it's set-pieces, that warm feeling you get when you meet a companion that doesn't mind wandering a bit as opposed to just getting the game done.

Those $15 and two hours were well spent! IMO

Captcha: card-sharp. Wha?

EClaris:

Stilt:

A)what does that have to do with your topic? Or is it because we've both spoken our peace and understand each other and mutually respect each other's position that we're moving on to anoter topic? (heh? heh?)

B)Forcing someone to die that doesn't want to (disclaimer: my personal opinion and because I have not attained the highest mode of Hegelian spirit I do not know absolute truth, take with some bacon flavored salt)

I respect everyone's right to an opinion, no matter how irrational I perceive it to be. Yea, I may sound like a dick a lot of the time but thats in part because Im sick of all the flowery language that we use today, all the tiptoeing, euphemistic bs, we can no longer say what we mean.It all has to be shrouded in veils. What's the difference if I call your mother fat, or if I say she has an extreme affinity for food? Btw im not calling your mother fat.

But for the most part, if you can form your opinion in complete sentences that dont run on and repeat over and over, and generally sound like an adult, then Im open to hearing anything you have to say.

It is a mostly empty but pretty game. Journey, aka the 'Walk to Vagina Mountain' mostly just plays off a ton of reproductive imagery, especially in co-op. But what a goddamn brilliant walk it was.

Stilt:

Evilpigeon:

its called salvia.

I guess the heart of what I'm saying is that I thought it was ... booring, and I have a hard time understanding what anyone is getting out of this. From my perspective it just seems like a bunch of people wanting to appear chic and hip to a select group of other hip chic "tastemakers" (god I hate that term). I just needed something more substantial in the game, a feeling of progression, just, something.

Honestly not everyone who plays an artsy game is trying to be chic and hip. People like different things and in cases like yours there is no understanding as there is no crossover in taste. It all boils down to the fact that the game had no appeal to you while others see it in a different light. Don't waste your time trying to understand why people like what they do.

Music can work the same way. Some people could view something like Rap as trash and have no idea how it could be liked but then someone else has their whole life inspired by it. Would person 1 be able to understand person 2? Probably not because there is simply no crossover in their views other than the fact that they both know of said genre.

All in all this is not an attack on either side of the argument or even me taking a side. It is simply an analysis of what I am witnessing.

...haven't played it myself, but I still feel the need to take issue with "hesitating to even call it a game" just from watching review videos. I've seen a string of platforming sections and at least one switch puzzle in such. Even if they're incredibly easy, those still qualify as game mechanics. A children's game is still a game.

But hey, that's just one guy's opinion backed up by the accepted definition of a word. Don't Stop Believin' on my account.

You just dont get it!

Yeah, I said it. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you... or the game. You just don't get it.

There's plenty of things I don't get either, like Inception or Red Dead Redemption.

Dreadman75:
Captcha: card-sharp. Wha?

OT: "Card-sharp" is a term that almost nobody uses, because everyone thinks it's "card-shark", but it's not

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked