What, out of these, is holding gaming back the most?
the community
17.6% (109)
17.6% (109)
large corporations (like EA. Activision)
44.1% (274)
44.1% (274)
mobile (and casual) gaming
3.9% (24)
3.9% (24)
critics
1% (6)
1% (6)
the media
6.4% (40)
6.4% (40)
other
13% (81)
13% (81)
none. The industry is moving at its own pace, and nothing is holding it back.
13.8% (86)
13.8% (86)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: What is holding gaming back, as an industry?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

I'm working on some research for an article on the future of gaming, and I would like some numbers from you guys, as this is a gaming forum. What I would like to ask you is, what do you think is holding the gaming industry back the most? Community uproars like what has happened with the Mass Effect 3 endings, bigger corporations like EA who either spit out sequels every year, don't listen to the community unless there is large scale feedback, or other reasons, mobile gaming, gaming critics, the large scale media, or something else. I would like some insight besides just voting if that is at all possible. I would like to know what actual people think about this kind of thing.

edit: I updated a few of the poll options, at least I hope they update.

Nothing is holding gaming back.

Gaming keeps getting better and better is hugely successful considering that the medium is still very young.

Sanat:
Consoles. 'Nuff said.

And if consoles were to disappear entirely, what of the vast library of console exclusive games?

Would gamers who want to play them have to rely on used games forever?

Sanat:
Consoles. 'Nuff said.

You mean the biggest reason why videogames are so popular and why dev companies have such huge budgets?

Yeah, consoles are definately holding gaming back.

- the community (as in the large scale "feedback" like the ME3 backlash)
- large corporations (like EA. Activision)

Can I pick BOTH?

skywolfblue:

- the community (as in the large scale "feedback" like the ME3 backlash)
- large corporations (like EA. Activision)

Can I pick BOTH?

I guess thats what other is for.

My opinion on it is that to an extent, all the options are holding the industry back, all for their own reasons. It seems like thanks to a lot of variables, for each step forward the industry takes, we are forced to take 2-3 steps back.

Sanat:
Consoles. 'Nuff said.

Wow it only took two replies to get a PC elitist. That must be a record or something.

Sanat:
Consoles. 'Nuff said.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Not to say consoles = bad. First off graphically, their tech is still stuck in 2006. Secondly, developers think console gamers are all morons so the bar is always set really low on games.

Thirdly, not a major reason but a good one for why games aren't as complex on console. Limited button configuration. PC's use keyboards that allows you to have dozen or so configurations. Console games have to stick to what's offered on a controller. More buttons = more abilities = games being more complex.

Oh, and I'm mostly a console gamer myself. So don't try pulling that "PC elitist" card on me...lol

:P

People who freak out over nothing.

Seriously. If EA decides to give Jolly Ranchers to every kid with Cancer, some asshole will say "Oh, its just some way to make money!"

I guess I could say the media. But I do have to give credit to reliance on certain franchises. Call of Duty and Final Fantasy need to either shape up or die.

There are a few exceptions to this rule but thats how the formula works, such as with most nintendo franchises.

Yeah, it's the community, the people who buy the games and can get change when something morally ambiguous arises in the medium! Wankers!
No, it's definitely the companies, making all those good games and bringing in money to make more games. Fuckers!
Scratch that, it's mobile gaming! Broadening our horizons?! HAH! What a fucking dumb idea!
Actually, never mind, it's the critics. Those bastards who tell us when a game is bad. Who the fuck are they to talk?! All games are perfect all the time!
I suppose it would have to be the media when we think about it. All that advertising and free publicity. What utter cunts!

Wait, what were we complaining about again?

The cost of developping quality AAA titles . Seriously , it now costs a small fortune and 4% of a persons lifespan to make 1 game . I personally believe that the only way the industry will move foward is to find a way developpe the same quality ( or better ) at a lower cost . I think , new technology needs to be developped to make games more cost efficent to make .

Once the cost is considerably lowered , then the industry could take more risks and we would get more original games . Even if the games aren't original in every sense , we would be able to experiment more and have more unique games with little risk .

Nomanslander:

Sanat:
Consoles. 'Nuff said.

Not to say consoles = bad. First off graphically, their tech is still stuck in 2006. Secondly, developers think console gamers are all morons so the bar is always set really low on games.

Thirdly, button configuration. PC's use keyboards that allows you to have dozen or so configurations. Console games have to stick to what's offered on a controller. More buttons = more abilities = games being more complex.

Ah but you see, not all games need to rely on mouse and key board. Certain games play better and just flat out play differently with an Xbox Controller than a PS3 controller, or even a key board and mouse.

It doesn't lead to laziness either. Its with accessibility. Who cares about Graphics at this point, normally people who upgrade their PC nearly every year.

Think about how differently Halo: CE plays on the Xbox and the PC. Another example is with Battlefield or even Call of Duty. Besides shooters, even Halo Wars plays differently (Though I have to admit, not as efficiently). Skyrim plays far differently, I can pick out every game and say why it plays differently. PCs may give alot of control, but the difference between PC and consoles is fluidity.

Nomanslander:

Sanat:
Consoles. 'Nuff said.

Thirdly, not a major reason but a good one for why games aren't as complex on console. Button configuration. PC's use keyboards that allows you to have dozen or so configurations. Console games have to stick to what's offered on a controller. More buttons = more abilities = games being more complex.

This is what I was getting at. Albiet with a huge lack of detail.
I'd add more, but you got my reasoning word for word.

Thank you, kind post-post-ninja.

Holding it back? You do realize that the video game industry is valued at $65 Billion - making it a giant in the entertainment industry, surpassing both films and music - don't you?

Asita:
Holding it back? You do realize that the video game industry is valued at $65 Billion - making it a giant in the entertainment industry, surpassing both films and music - don't you?

It's not "holding back" in a monetary sense, it's holding back in an artistic sense. The way games are played, the level of dedication, attention to detail, true skill and flair that goes into creating a great game, one the likes of Bastion or Journey which can more or less be considered pieces of art. Nothing is holding back the industry in the terms of finance, it's booming like crazy. But unfortunately due to things like CoD; mass-marketed annual rehashes made to cater for the lazy, stupid and consumerist majority.

And that, in essence, is what is holding video games back.

Sanat:

Asita:

It's not "holding back" in a monetary sense, it's holding back in an artistic sense. The way games are played, the level of dedication, attention to detail, true skill and flair that goes into creating a great game, one the likes of Bastion or Journey which can more or less be considered pieces of art. Nothing is holding back the industry in the terms of finance, it's booming like crazy. But unfortunately due to things like CoD; mass-marketed annual rehashes made to cater for the lazy, stupid and consumerist majority.

You mean like how every medium on the planet has it's version of CoD?

It's not unique to gaming, and honestly, saying things like CoD hold back the industry is like saying Twilight holds back the literary arts or that Transformers holds back the film industry.

It's a notion so condescending that I'd rather hang out with the 'CoD kids' than 'CoD is destroying the industry' types.

Terminate421:

Ah but you see, not all games need to rely on mouse and key board. Certain games play better and just flat out play differently with an Xbox Controller than a PS3 controller, or even a key board and mouse.

Okay, I agree.

It doesn't lead to laziness either. Its with accessibility. Who cares about Graphics at this point, normally people who upgrade their PC nearly every year.

People generally and unfortunately do care a lot about graphics. You see as much as the graphics in games have improved. You can't say the same about the AI considering the limited processor capabilities. Since the majority of gamers look at the graphics to see game evolution. Console games have forced the industry to focus more on improving on graphics instead of AI. You can't run games like Uncharted on the PS3 with it's graphics and give it a powerful AI because that eats up the processor to no end.

Think about how differently Halo: CE plays on the Xbox and the PC. Another example is with Battlefield or even Call of Duty. Besides shooters, even Halo Wars plays differently (Though I have to admit, not as efficiently). Skyrim plays far differently, I can pick out every game and say why it plays differently. PCs may give alot of control, but the difference between PC and consoles is fluidity.

I also agree here. But I have to add that I don't see any reason why consoles don't have their own keyboard/mouse set ups. With all the accessories that they already offer, certain games are better played on different accessories. Fighting games for the longest time were better played by the old arcade set up of a joystick and six bottom configuration which consoles still offer as accesories. Why are they still so hesitant to offer the PC line up? It's not like a keyboard and mouse can't be hooked up to the console.

Easy one. Consoles.

Why? They use outdated tech. Even on release their tech is inferior to your average gaming pc. If they caught up we would have better graphics, better physics engines, bigger game worlds. The list goes on and on. It does however look like the next gen consoles are going to be using somewhat decent tech and that can only be a good thing.

Sanat:
It's not "holding back" in a monetary sense, it's holding back in an artistic sense.

Yeah...I haven't bought into that premise ever since I became aware of Duchamp's Fountain, the existence of which serves as a rather effective criticism of how meaningless the term 'art' actually is (Effectively, anything can be art if we simply claim that it is). Honestly, I think that if anything is holding games back from being art it is the insistance that they be treated as such as if it were a badge of honor, and even then that has little to do with the actual status of any given game.

Nomanslander:

Terminate421:

People generally and unfortunately do care a lot about graphics. You see as much as the graphics in games has improved. You can't say the same about the AI. With limited processor capabilities. Since the majority of gamers look at the graphics to see game evolution. Console games have forced the industry to focus more on improving on graphics instead of AI. You can't run games like Uncharted on the PS3 with it's graphics and give it a powerful AI because that eats up the processor to no end.

I should have been a bit better on this aspect.

Its mixed based on what developers do and how they hone in with the skills accordingly.

Take Halo: Reach for example. The game looks great. Its not perfect in graphics but its convincing enough and the graphics have a sleak colorful pallette that gives it a unique look to it. Bungie are smart to know that Halo 3 wasn't brilliant on graphics so instead they did what was Necessary for graphics and then focused Solely on AI to make the AI perfect because in the past, enemy AI was generally smart and well done but nothing mind blowing.

If you've played Reach at all, you can tell from the first time you see them that the AI are fucking einstien. They do more than the typical "Flank and press forward". They surround you based on their enemy type.

Elites know they can kill you and do not hesitate when given the option to fight up close an personal, not just out of might but because their culture does so.

Skirmishers are a new baddy that are on this same level, they tend to be snipers and pick you off where they can, however at close quarters, they bounce around and go after your shields and split up. Snipers are also quite well done, they look for higher elevation.

Brutes are the same as always, stronger cannon fodder with the chieftans going after you when they can.

Hunters are now more prone to using their guns rather than charge in. (Their weakpoint is their back, which they tend to try to protect now)

Grunts are still cannon fodder but actually use squadbased grenade throwing, even committing suicide.

Drones are seen only a few times but they follow similar tactics to skirmishers and Jackals are much the same to drones

I know I went a bit extensive on that whole part but the aspect is clear:

Developers focus their priorities. In this case, Bungie stuck to going with smart AI and great graphics rather than mind blowing graphics and having shooting galleries.

This is also seen with Mass Effect 3 (AI tend to be smart, such as Phantoms and Maurauders)
Gears of war (Their AI are not perfect, but thats only to fit the gameplay, you wouldn't want to attempt to chainsaw someone while they are sprinting away from you)
Even Fallout 3's AI are quite decent (Taking cover when shot, running away when they are fucked, picking up better weapons within the vicinity (I learned that the hard way from the Alien Blaster event))

Consoles are not super computers, but one thing they most certainly teach is:

Flexibility

(Whats funny is I am reminded of an Article Cliff Blezinski was on when he said that the Xbox360 has a limit but developers are still finding ways to making things work.)

Daystar Clarion:

You mean like how every medium on the planet has it's version of CoD?

It's not unique to gaming, and honestly, saying things like CoD hold back the industry is like saying Twilight holds back the literary arts or that Transformers holds back the film industry.

^This. Don't get me wrong, CoD is everything wrong with modern shooters in a nutshell, but it's not like it's making every other game worse by existing.

Re: OP's question, I would like it if game criticism read more like criticism and less like a tech review. But, honestly, you can even find good critics if you stay away from the major outlets. Basically, the industry is fine. Particularly since it looks like people are finally finding out you can make money from niche stuff.

I voted "the community" but not for the reason you had listed there.

Mammoth publishers that hold the rights to everything ever. That's what buried the comic industry in my eyes.

Sanat:
Consoles. 'Nuff said.

There are some unique things you can do with a twin stick pad, you know. Graphics and processing power? Not so much.

Anyway, it's not as much as the big boys holding everyones dreams hostage but more of the ones who believe that mimmicking without thinking will do them any good. I hate this phlisophy. I mean, you don't see Notch getting yelled at for not staying with the 'in' crowd.

I don't think anythin' is holding us back.

black_knight1337:
Easy one. Consoles.

Why? They use outdated tech.

Why do we NEED better tech?

Don't get me wrong. I want the singularity to hurry up and get here. But I really don't think better tech at this point will create better games.

Its partly the consumer's fault and partly companies like EA. By buying into their business practices we are showing the rest of the industry what level of shit we are willing to deal with. I say we aren't representing ourselves well enough and if we really DON'T want to be treated the way we are we need to show them with our wallets.

Critics/Large Corporations

That said, nothing is HOLDING gaming back, more like gaming is waiting for these two morons opinions on what to do next.

LilithSlave:

black_knight1337:
Easy one. Consoles.

Why? They use outdated tech.

Why do we NEED better tech?

Because in order to have large maps, good A.I. and good graphics, technology needs to get a bit better. I would like to have the large maps we used to have in gaming, with today's graphics(not high-end, low- to medium-end), combined with better than passable A.I. Imagine DX:HR, only more in line with what the original was, and with better A.I.

Also, the better the tech gets, the closer we come to true VR. If anything can truly be called the pinnacle of video gaming, it would be true VR, where you don't just play the game, you play the game.

What is holding us back? Simple. Being exclusionary assholes. If we exclude the casual gamer and the COD player just because their preferred games are not as "Complex" and "Deep" as "our" games, then all we do is shrink our community and make it look like it's full of a bunch of dicks. You're not pushing the medium forward by dismissing everyone who plays bejeweled. You're making it look harder to get into, and that's not how we move forward as a community and a medium.

Not only that, but the holding back the medium excuses used against casual gamers doesn't make any sense. You got the 2 witcher games, right? What about magic the gathering? Hell, what about skyrim? What about Mass Effect 1 and 2 (mentioning 3 here will get me flame roasted)? Aren't those complex? What about all of the games that integrate massive and complex lore into their stories? Don't those exist? Since they do, how the hell are casual gamers holding back anything? They're not. You're holding us back by not letting them in. By not letting them have their say. That's not a community, that's an elitist clique. Do you want us to be that? If not, then shut the hell up about casual gamers holding back the medium.

From an indie dev POV, I'm gonna say money and to an extent, publishers.

Huge publishers are so much more likely to invest in safer marketable and guaranteed seller titles than to invest in an artistic or innovative title, thats why Double Fine screwed the publisher middle man and incredibly, got funding straight from their fans.

If developers could create what they wanted and be provided the money required to do so, we would see much more diversity and appeal in games rather than what everyone currently percieves as "COD Clone No.#657".

Thats why so many people, myself included, have gone indie to develop, it skips the publisher allowing us to create the things WE AS GAMERS WANT TO CREATE. However, it does force us to advertise ourselves, which i can tell you, is bloody hard work.

Unfortunately as indies, money is still the overhanging issue, the industry is a massive $65 billion market (forgot exactly how much) but the majority people getting that money are in fact the people who make these clones because theyre the ones with the marketing coverage provided by the publishers.

Racecarlock:
What is holding us back? Simple. Being exclusionary assholes. If we exclude the casual gamer and the COD player just because their preferred games are not as "Complex" and "Deep" as "our" games, then all we do is shrink our community and make it look like it's full of a bunch of dicks. You're not pushing the medium forward by dismissing everyone who plays bejeweled. You're making it look harder to get into, and that's not how we move forward as a community and a medium.

Not only that, but the holding back the medium excuses used against casual gamers doesn't make any sense. You got the 2 witcher games, right? What about magic the gathering? Hell, what about skyrim? What about Mass Effect 1 and 2 (mentioning 3 here will get me flame roasted)? Aren't those complex? What about all of the games that integrate massive and complex lore into their stories? Don't those exist? Since they do, how the hell are casual gamers holding back anything? They're not. You're holding us back by not letting them in. By not letting them have their say. That's not a community, that's an elitist clique. Do you want us to be that? If not, then shut the hell up about casual gamers holding back the medium.

I would say that this is a problem, but there's also the fact that producing major titles is very cost-prohibitive. Moreso even than film these days.

However I wouldn't say the industry is being held back so much as it's suffering from major growing pains. The paradigm is changing and the major publishers are too conservative to keep up. We're going to see a gradual but massive shift over the next decade as the market rebuilds itself to adjust for new technology. This also mean however that the community is going to have to get over itself and accept the fact that because the medium is going mainstream that means they can no longer cling to the hipster mentality of, "Yeah, I'm really into this thing called real-time strategy. You've probably never heard of it."

Times are changing. Evolve or die.

wankers and cod,

Sanat:

Asita:

But the question isn't what's holding games back in general. It's what's holding the industry back. And the answer is nothing. It's booming like crazy. Yes, it's because of stupid things like CoD. But those easy entrances DO get more people into the medium and serve as a nice way to introduce them without overwhelming them with a massive keyboard layout to memorize. As well, it's somewhat ironic that you mention it being consoles and then mention 2 games that are either console exclusive or got their start on consoles. You're also acting like games such as CoD aren't on PC as well.

The things you mention such as dedication, attention to detail, 'true skill and flair' that goes into making a great game are not things exclusive to PC. The way games are played is changed, but I don't think it's in a bad way. I love playing games with a controller. I do it all the time on my gaming rig. I might not be able to do exactly as good as those with it, but who cares if I'm enjoying myself? And, most of all, why should it matter to you? The only games I believe really NEED a M+K are RTSs and MMOs. FPSs are much faster with them but not neccessary.

As for the 'devs think console gamers are idiots and therefore lower their quality' arguement, I'd like to see some proof of that. It seems more like easier to handle things (like CoD) sell better for the simple purpose that they don't challenge the player. That's not a good thing mind you, but it's hardly something exclusive to consoles.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked