Why do gamers hate games because of one "small" problem?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Lately I've noticed that there is a lot of controversy because of the game "mass effect 3"'s ending. And I see how everywhere I go, I hear of this and I get tired of seeing all this anger and frustration because of a good games ending or another small thing in a game like it's multiplayer.
I also take note of how the people say that because of the problem they blame the whole game or company because of it.
I wonder why people can't just accept that a game is good and leave it as it is without the need for a huge uproar for change.
So what do you guys thing of people critiquing a game based off a "small problem"?

EDIT: I can relate to how some of you feel about ME3. Though I've not played the entire franchise, I know how gamers can become disappointed because of a games ending. For me it was the ending to rage which was just as bad as its story.

It's not a small problem. It's like the ending to the Sopranos, but worse in that people had a very strong emotional investment in the characters they were interacting with. This, after dumping hours and hours into the series.

People who cannot see this are fucking blind.

Freechoice:
It's not a small problem. It's like the ending to the Sopranos, but worse in that people had a very strong emotional investment in the characters they were interacting with. This, after dumping hours and hours into the series.

It is a small problem. Using the "I had a very strong emotional investment into the characters" isn't a valid point. So the fuck what? It's the end of the trilogy, you won't be playing as them again. What does it matter how it ends? Either way you will cease playing as them.

Not to mention the lengths people have cried about this shit. Wanting refunds, boycotting Bioware, even threatening to sue. It's all pathetic. You didn't like the ending? That sucks, now move the fuck on with your life.

I love ME3

the ending is....well it was awful

but this story isnt finished yet....

imahobbit4062:

Freechoice:

It is a small problem. Using the "I had a very strong emotional investment into the characters" isn't a valid point. So the fuck what? It's the end of the trilogy, you won't be playing as them again. What does it matter how it ends? Either way you will cease playing as them.

actually no...the mass effect series has alot of replay value, ask anyone who calls themself a "fan" and likley hood is they have played more than once. It was satisfying in ME2 to see your actions culminate..in your squad surviving

we expected the same thing..with the war assets, everything leading up to this point...and right up untill the ending everything was coming together great

the ending left people with negative feelings..which for some I imagine would have tainted their veiw on the game, it did make everything feel pointless in the end..the game was almost sadistic in that everything turns to shit from the get go (I dont mean the actual game but the universe)

I finished ME1 and ME2 feeling empowered..like I could take on the galaxy

ME3 left me feeling empty and depressed, and not in a good way, many people dont want to feel that way after their favorite series

Pretend you're eating a brownie (or whatever you like) and after a few bits you get a mouthful of wasabi. It's nasty and every bite after that may be 100% delicious brownie but you will still have the gross wasabi taste on your tongue.

Then again I never had that happen in a game so it's just a guess. I can overlook the small things.

I generally don't hate games because of one "small problem".

However, (not related to Mass Effect 3) in my opinion, a problem ceases being small when it directly interferes with gameplay or storyline.

For me, the Mass effect 3 ending was fine.

However (as an example) GTA4 had a very large problem, not a small one. Because of the engine, the game didn't operate as effectively as it could have. For me and others, caused a large amount of issues for graphics which inadvertently affected gameplay.

I guess that is my definition of when a small problem goes large scale. But yeah, unless it affects gameplay drastically or the storyline, or even the stability of the game itself, it is perfectly fine to me.

Vault101:
I love ME3

the ending is....well it was awful

but this story isnt finished yet....

imahobbit4062:

Freechoice:

actually no...the mass effect series has alot of replay value, ask anyone who calls themself a "fan" and likley hood is they have played more than once. It was satisfying in ME2 to see your actions culminate..in your squad surviving

we expected the same thing..with the war assets, everything leading up to this point...and right up untill the ending everything was coming together great

the ending left people with negative feelings..which for some I imagine would have tainted their veiw on the game, it did make everything feel pointless in the end..the game was almost sadistic in that everything turns to shit from the get go (I dont mean the actual game but the universe)

I finished ME1 and ME2 feeling empowered..like I could take on the galaxy

ME3 left me feeling empty and depressed, and not in a good way, many people dont want to feel that way after their favorite series

I never said it was about replayablity, I said you wouldn't be playing as them again as in future titles. This is the end of their journey.

Oh good, we have an official authority on whether a problem is big or small now.

Guess we can stop worrying.

imahobbit4062:
I never said it was about replayablity, I said you wouldn't be playing as them again as in future titles. This is the end of their journey.

who? shepard and her/his crew mates? thats even worse

because their journey didnt have an ending...it didnt have closure, there was no pay off

no matter how sad or ambiguous an ending is theres always "somthing" Red dead redemption was sad (VERY sad) but it had a point, the Idea that somtimes you cant escape the deamons of your past, now matter how hard you try to make up for it...and the fact that the "wild west" was not romantic..it was sadistic, cruel and bloody

Portal 2 didnt explain much, but thats ok...it explained all we needed and left us with a sense of optimism, even in the face of the unknown

Mass effect 3's ending does nothing, alot of us have no idea what its trying to say, thats not even touching the plot holes

Well first off the ending is not a small problem since it takes a dump on the entire series and it is by no stretch of the word the only one.
But since you are blinded by your fanboy infatuation you wouldn't really see that.

And to explain why it matters, supply and demand, that is how capitalism works and until you kids learned it do not pretend to be a meaningful part of the industry as a whole.
Things will not get better if you put your ignorance hat on and let the infection fester till we lose a limb or two.

If it was a small problem then there wouldn't be an issue.

It's easier to complain about something when your not doing anything to help it. "I really hated the ending to Mass Effect 3." "Oh really, what the fuck did you do to make it less shitty."? "Lets hear that creepy fan fiction you have been working on."

Well to be fair it's the ending so it's pretty damn big. I won't bother explaining why since everyone else here has already explained and because there have been a few threads about it. A small problem in my eyes is something more like not following canon to the dot. It bothers me yes but it isn't big enough to deter me away. Like having colour in the motion tracker in an aliens game. But let's say if the alien blood didn't do anything? That would bother me greatly. An even bigger problem would be messing up the ending. It's like the beginning of Alien 3. Granted I don't know the ending of ME3 exactly but from what I'm hearing about emotional investments, I think I can relate a bit.

TehCookie:
Pretend you're eating a brownie (or whatever you like) and after a few bits you get a mouthful of wasabi. It's nasty and every bite after that may be 100% delicious brownie but you will still have the gross wasabi taste on your tongue.

Then again I never had that happen in a game so it's just a guess. I can overlook the small things.

I like wasabi and I'm offended! I kid, your analogy is actually pretty great.

Yep, the ending to something is a "small" problem in a series based on story.

Edit: Here's an example. In a game like Duke Nukem Forever it is not a "small" problem if the first person controls are shit.

Freechoice:

What was wrong with the ending to "The Sopranos"? I watched the series recently, and as a result I missed all the controversy that surrounded its conclusion. Sure, it was open-ended, and I suppose that's somewhat irritating, but practically every other loose end story-wise was concluded. Furthermore, the ending was thematically appropriate. I'm failing to see the problem...

I do get what the OP is talking about the amount of user reviews I have read that have been giving games 4/10 simply because of something small.

I also see a lot of people on these forums always saying this is the worst game ever due to some arbitrary reason that has very little effect on the game itself.

The problem is how could your choices affect the ending significantly in the first place? We're talking about a war against an ancient race of god-like death machines here. There's only a few ways that could go down.

the reason is that people are dumb. they just choose to read everything in the way that makes them have to exert the least effort with their tiny brains. when you actually use your head for a second, big problems become tiny or even nonexistant. people want to see a problem because it's better than admitting you can't understand whatever is in front of you.

I think in the case of Mass Effect 3 they are completely and utterly justified.

And while there certainly are people taking it much too far I think the overall movement is a good thing. Not because the ending is actually shit. But because of clear false advertising.

And whilst certainly one shouldn't just believe any advertising they hear I do believe people are justified in not accepting and complaining about a product that clearly does not match what was advertised and promised.

If Bioware had advertised an ABC-choice ending then you would be correct in saying this was a small thing people are overreacting to.
If Bioware hadn't advertised it at all then you would also have been correct.
But Bioware explicitly promised there would not be an ABC ending. Yet that is exactly what the game clearly contained. That isn't a small thing. Consumers do have rights beyond choosing whether or not to buy something. And right now there are people fighting for those rights.

OneOfTheMichael's:
Lately I've noticed that there is a lot of controversy because of the game "mass effect 3"'s ending. And I see how everywhere I go, I hear of this and I get tired of seeing all this anger and frustration because of a good games ending or another small thing in a game like it's multiplayer.
I also take note of how the people say that because of the problem they blame the whole game or company because of it.
I wonder why people can't just accept that a game is good and leave it as it is without the need for a huge uproar for change.
So what do you guys thing of people critiquing a game based off a "small problem"?

The Mass Effect series has always been more about the story than the gameplay and without a multiplayer mode until the third game the series has relied heavily on replaying the game a different way to see a different outcome.

The ME3 ending messes that up in 2 ways:
1. If you collected all or nearly all possible war assets you can pick any of the three endings, how you played in the game or in any future playthrough won't change the outcome so there is less reason to play through again.
2. The ending is confusing, frustrating, at times it induces face-palmitis, and overall makes you efforts seem pointless. This saps a person's will to play through the game again.

The ending is a "small" thing?

What?

What might be a small thing for you is a big deal to others.

Individual differences FTW

I know on my side, I consider the ending of a game/film to be rather important. Not neccesiraly a game breaker, but if neverwinter nights 2 lost major points with me for having an unsatisfying finale (my opinion only of course), why should mass effect 3 get a free pass?

Since we are on the topic it's not like I wasn't having some of my own niggles as I played the game (so many DERP moments that made me go wtf...I think lulziest was on citadel where badass kai leng who was all ready to take you and council on runs away into the keeper tunnel cos they knew bailey and his assistant was coming...God i laughed so hard at that idea) but I ignored them cos overall, I was enjoying the game and the positives outweighed the negatives heavily.

Then came the ending and...Yeh, call it a small thing if you want, I'm happy it didn't bother you.
But it bothered me :\

OneOfTheMichael's:

Well, I would actually say that ME3's ending is one of the few occasions where it isn't just a small problem, but I think overall fans just have a tendency to be hyperbolic. When they say that they 'hate' something, or hate something because of a small part in it, most of them don't really mean it. They may dislike it, it may annoy them, but few of them will actually feel genuine hate. It's like the whole MW2 boycott thing on Steam, where about half the people who'd signed up to boycott were caught playing the game anyway.

and then we wonder why companies don't take our complaints seriously the one time we're being genuine... *le sigh

The Mass Effect 3 problem is exactly the same as the LOST problem; (A): People got too invested in the series, (B): The endings are truly terrible as people say they are, and (C): The creators disregarded the main attraction of why people enjoyed consuming the media (LOST = discovering the mystery, ME3 = having player engagement matter).

Mass Effect 3's ending isn't a small problem. It's one of the most important aspects of a story-oriented trilogy that prides itself on player input, it fails completely on both of these aspects and, as such, sours the entire rest of the trilogy for people who care about these things.

I don't hate games for small problems.

Perhaps this analogy might put the ending in context:

Imagine your favourite sports team is playing in a competition. They have struggled through the groups and the semi-final stage. It's been close, but the team have been fantastic and each game a joy to watch. They're now at the final, there's a minute left and it's close, but you're winning. Then there's a blatant foul from the other team and they score. The referee allows it anyway, blows his whistle and they've now won.

It's a small thing, a minute in hours of competition. But tell me that wouldn't make the whole thing gutting, that it wouldn't spoil all the fun and joy you got up to that point. That would be the moment all the fans dwell on.

That's the Mass Effect 3 ending to me.

Freechoice:

Hammeroj:
Mass Effect 3's ending isn't a small problem. It's one of the most important aspects of a story-oriented trilogy that prides itself on player input, it fails completely on both of these aspects and, as such, sours the entire rest of the trilogy for people who care about these things.

I don't hate games for small problems.

A poor ending does not invalidate the hours and hours of fun times you've had. Yes, it sours it slightly, but if you dump all of the good stuff that the series has done out the window you're no better than the ending.

for me, when it comes to a game, the final impressions it leaves on me is what breaks or makes a game for me. in this case, i was disappointed with the ending i got, as the final game of a trilogy has the weakest ending of the whole trilogy. if that happens, something IS wrong

Gotta love how quickly it turned into a "Why ME3's ending was bad" kind of thread.

Anyways, i guess generally speaking there are just some "problems" that people can't overlook. I mean people who find their favourite games back on the N64/PS1 or even further back love games with faults (and some are pretty damn big faults too), but in my experience what makes a game good isyour ability to overlook the flaws.

I guess it can go both ways and sometimes you'll run into what some would call a small problem and it'll completely ruin the experience for you. Take the case of ME3 where you have some people who are able to look beyond the bad ending and appreciate that it was a great game, and then there are those who simply can't look past a bad ending and will be crying about it even after that free DLC gets released.

I generally say there is three stages this scenario.

1- Action, if the controls or gameplay are bad, then you can often adapt or adjust yourself to play it effectively.

2- Reaction, not liking something and moaning about it but still managing to play the game anyway.

3- Overreaction, (see anything regarding ME3). Its all well and good not liking the product, but going out of your way to make it seem like its directly affected your life is pretty sad.

SL33TBL1ND:

A poor ending does not invalidate the hours and hours of fun times you've had. Yes, it sours it slightly, but if you dump all of the good stuff that the series has done out the window you're no better than the ending.

To be completely honest, I am wondering just what makes the non-ending parts so great in the first place? I mean sure, it's seems to be about the Mass Effect quality we were used to, but it's noting exceptional, nothing that would outdo the first two without even trying. Actually, the Cerberus zerg rushes look strongly remniscient of parachuting mobsters in DA2. Which was, I might add, a really retarded thing to put in.

SL33TBL1ND:

What it does, however, is destroy any replay value for all games in the series. It retroactively screws things up. Many of us had planned on epic, long ME1, 2 and 3 Marathons, trying out different choices and getting different outcomes, enjoying making more Shepards and ending their journeys. Now, no.
The Catalyst destroyed the Reapers as an antagonist, and removed any reason to replay the ending. When I play the game, and get up to Tuchanka: "Should I save or cure the Genophage, what results will it have?" Answer: None. Space magic dun screw everything up.

Yeah, we had enjoyment in the past for stuff, but that's not what people want. If we could all live off past enjoyment, we'd sit around all day instead of doing stuff because we'd had good times in the past. We want future enjoyment, and any hope of getting that from the Mass Effect franchise was destroyed with the ending.

As much as id hate to admit it Mass Effect 3's one problem is anything but small.

As has been mentioned on the thread, the conclusion throws away just about all the biuldup from the previous 2 games and the first 97% of ME3. Then theres several other problems which that article on gamefront (which im sure someone will post a link to eventually) which details the lore and philosophical problems as well as the open-endedness of this conclusion.

Obviously it was a rushed ending, but this fact seems to be glossed over by just about everyone who cares about it. I only noticed because i never really cared.

"Small problems" have been dealbreakers for me lately. I don't feel willing to pay full price knowing beforehand that I am going to deal with things I don't want. It's kind of worse when I don't know, pay full price and then have to deal with some nitpicks that piss me off because it makes me feel like I have been burned. I have to be pretty damn hyped for a game that will make me purchase at full price despite a couple of flaws. Otherwise I am either not going to purchase it or wait until it goes on sale/buy used (if I buy a console game).

I think the main reason I don't buy things is because it would imply that such practices are fine for me. I tend to draw a line at some point.

imahobbit4062:

Honestly, even if it's not a problem in your eyes, it IS a problem in Bioware/EA's eyes. If the ending is bad, consumers don't want to do anything with that product anymore, and that means they won't be buying DLC. The bad ending is an issue if someone cares about the series, because there's a pretty good chance that such a person would have bought the special edition, and was going to purchase all the DLC that would have come up while they are replaying the game.

If it wasn't for DLC plans, this ending would definitely be a small issue, but honestly, if an ending left a sour taste in my mouth I would NOT be buying future DLC.

Joccaren:

SL33TBL1ND:

What it does, however, is destroy any replay value for all games in the series. It retroactively screws things up. Many of us had planned on epic, long ME1, 2 and 3 Marathons, trying out different choices and getting different outcomes, enjoying making more Shepards and ending their journeys. Now, no.
The Catalyst destroyed the Reapers as an antagonist, and removed any reason to replay the ending. When I play the game, and get up to Tuchanka: "Should I save or cure the Genophage, what results will it have?" Answer: None. Space magic dun screw everything up.

Yeah, we had enjoyment in the past for stuff, but that's not what people want. If we could all live off past enjoyment, we'd sit around all day instead of doing stuff because we'd had good times in the past. We want future enjoyment, and any hope of getting that from the Mass Effect franchise was destroyed with the ending.

It's almost like I'm at a farm, there's strawmen everywhere in here. I said it doesn't invalidate your experience, not that you have to live off past enjoyment.

Vegosiux:

SL33TBL1ND:

To be completely honest, I am wondering just what makes the non-ending parts so great in the first place? I mean sure, it's seems to be about the Mass Effect quality we were used to, but it's noting exceptional, nothing that would outdo the first two without even trying. Actually, the Cerberus zerg rushes look strongly remniscient of parachuting mobsters in DA2. Which was, I might add, a really retarded thing to put in.

I didn't particularly like Mass Effect either, I found the gameplay to be dull and uninspired. However, these people did enjoy this game. At least they used to, which is a ridiculous concept in itself. As I said, a bad ending shouldn't invalidate the experience of the journey for them.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked