That one game in your backlog that you will most likely never play through?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I have about half a dozen in my backlog at the moment, the one I will probably never get through?
Dark Souls. I loved Demons Souls to bits, I just don't have the patience to invest into the game to make it through. Which is a shame, it is such an improvement over the original.

Neverwinter Nights

Every time I try to play Neverwinter Nights something irks at me

Like I can never find a portrait that fits my character just right, or the character generator left me with sub par stats and I cant go through combat properly.

I dunno I always get really OCD with Neverwinter and just simply stop playing it, I have never gotten past the first chapter of the original campaign.

Baldur`s Gate was a lot different in that it`s amazing soundtrack, visuals and storyline draw you in immediately, but with Neverwinter where the focus is on it`s gameplay, multiplayer and mods it`s hard to remain focused.

Gundemonium Recollection.

Because it is so incredibly hard that I don't even have words for it.

This is on "normal" mode. I'm not even this good at it.

MindJack, don't judge me. I didn't know what it was and they were getting rid of "Over ordered copy's" with any game I bought in the store.

Then I watched a review... I now use it's box as my wireless mouse pad. <.<

There are about two dozen games in my backlog at the moment and there are a few that I doubt I ever give a fair shot:

Final Fantasy VII - I gave it 90 minutes at one stage, and there were things I quite liked about it, but then a few new games came out and I haven't gone back to it. It's from that wonderful Playstation 1 era where 3D games were about as easy on the eyes as citric acid, and I'm really not a fan of JRPG-style combat systems.

Ultima VII and Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 - I have a few old-school (but not quite as old-school) RPGs to get through first, including Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 2, The Temple of Elemental Evil, and the Icewind Dale games. At the earliest, I might give one of these a go before the Icewind Dale games, but after the rest... and that's a lot of gameplay hours away.

X-Com: UFO Defense - I'll play it, however, unless I absolutely love it right from the beginning, I doubt I'll play a lot of it. With Xenonauts and the new XCOM game from Firaxis coming out in the near future, I'll probably move onto one or both of those, so long as they're good.

Bioshock, Portal and God of War... And all their sequels.

Yeah i missed out apparently.

masseffect 3 (pc) nuff said

I was actually considering putting my "pile of shame" together this morning but the main one that stands out for "just never going to happen" is Final Fantasy XIII-2 because I just *cannot* get into it enough to stick through the first couple of hours.

It's annoying because a)I paid full price on release day due to being excited and b) I desperately wanted to like it. Gah!

I have 2 on my steam list i'll probably never play through. Beyond Good and Evil and The Longest Journey.

Got them for cheap during a sale. had every intention of playing them since i had read from so many sources that they were amazing. But never have and probably never will get around to playing them.

Agrest war : zero .

Now i like Strategy jrpgs . And i like hard games , and i like complicated games . But this game takes the cake for me . The worst part is indon't know what i'm doing wrong . It's either really hard , or i'm really dumb . I'm not sure which yet . Usually i wouldn't mind , but the gameplay is so slow , that messing up makes me feel bad and mkes me feel like i wasted my time .

krazykidd:
Agrest war : zero .

Now i like Strategy jrpgs . And i like hard games , and i like complicated games . But this game takes the cake for me . The worst part is indon't know what i'm doing wrong . It's either really hard , or i'm really dumb . I'm not sure which yet . Usually i wouldn't mind , but the gameplay is so slow , that messing up makes me feel bad and mkes me feel like i wasted my time .

Same here. I really enjoyed the first one, but Zero just isn't any fun for me. Luckily, 2 looks like a breath of fresh air.

Somonah:
I have 2 on my steam list i'll probably never play through. Beyond Good and Evil

Yeah...BG&E for PC has a stupid amount of graphical glitches. I only played the first ten minutes and stopped because it was physically painful to play any longer than that. Don't bother.

Don't flame me bro, but...Skyrim. I've never finished it, never really got very far in it and it might be a very very long time before I even try. I think my total play time is about 3 hours.

I don't know why, it's not that I dislike the game but I just never feel like playing it.

That one game usually jumps at me one day anyways. I'd had Castlevania: Lords of Shadow be "that game" for almost one and a half year and when i picked it up again a couple weeks ago i suddenly platinumed the thing.

L.A. Noire was in my backlog for about 2-3 months before i picked it up and am currently racing for the platinum on that too.

Right now i've got Dead Island and Catherine just laying around along with an unfinished playthrough of Arkham City. I don't see me picking up Dead Island anytime soon though, it's been hanging around since one or two weeks after it was released and i haven't even started it yet.

Im kind of curious but why do people have backlogs. I mean what is the point in buying another game if you still have some at home that you havnt played or are only part way through and actually want to finish?

Infinite Undiscovery and Lost Odyssey.

The reasons being that a particular boss is eating me for breakfast and I do not have the patience to just keep trying. The bosses in question being:

And the Arthrosaurus, which can literally destroy me before I even get chance to think about what I'm doing. Keep in mind this is when you have to fight several of them to stop them from reaching the bay.

I've nearly cried with frustration at these two, and even Dark Souls just had me sighing then picking up my controller again.

Borderlands, because I have to restart the single player. I was around twenty hours in when my single player file was erased. That is waaaaay too much.

Magicka, because I don't want to play by myself, my computer can't run it well, and I don't want to play multiplayer that much either.

I've got a few.

From my Xbox 360 pile there's Wolverine, Brutal Legend, Final Fantasy XIII, Vanquish and Resonance of Fate.
In my Steam library there's The Last Remnant, King's Bounty, Winter Voices and the Jedi Knight series.
Also there's STALKER and one of Neverwinter Night's expansions due to lost/deleted saves after nearly completing both.
And finally, from my real pile of shame, there's Deus Ex, Arcanum, System Shock, Psychonauts and Monkey Island.

I'm not too fussed about most except for those in the last category, which I missed the first time around and now it seems likely that I won't go back and play them.

In reply to Das Boot who asked about why people get backlogs, for me it's due to my starting to play a game, even enjoying it, then putting it on the back burner when life gets busy or a longed for game gets released, eventually forgetting about it. When I finally do remember it, it's pretty much the same as having to start again, the momentum's gone. And for me that's harder that starting a new game that I've never played before (even if it's decades old) as new games always hold the promise of unknown treasures to be found; games that I've already started may ultimately have more to recommend them, or more to offer, yet their downfall is that I can remember their flaws (whether it's graphics, gameplay or what-have-you).

Das Boot:
Im kind of curious but why do people have backlogs. I mean what is the point in buying another game if you still have some at home that you havnt played or are only part way through and actually want to finish?

Some people might have a game they want to complete but then some other game comes out or appeals to them and so they "temporarily" take a break from game A to play game B and the cycle just circulates.

It happens to me as well, I have a lot of PS3 games that I want to finish but some of these games just don't work with me.

Fallout 3. My attempts to play it always seem stop dead on its tracks atop one specific tower/hotel and pushing that one specific switch/button. Ya know what im talking about >_>

It used to be FF7 but I deleted it a while ago.

Skyrim. I've tried to see what all the fuss is about, but it just strikes me as completely "meh." And fuck the bugs. I've only played a few hours and know I should give it more of a chance, but there's always something else I'd prefer to play.

I will get through everything in my backlog. But my backlog consists of games I am determined to finish one day, or games I have realised I don't really like *THAT* much, and so sell. Therefore my backlog, one way or another, is getting smaller every day.

It currently consists of Mass Effect 3 (which I will probably finish next week).
Solomon's Key (which I will probably finish next month).
The Castle (which I will finish next year).
Cobra Triangle (which I will finish some day).

Fable 2. Picked it up a while ago for 5, but never got around to playing more than 10 minutes. It just didnt interest me.

Oblivion. I played it through once on the 360, and then a friend gave me the PC copy. I'll never finish it because I don't have the hours and I keep modding it. >_<

Well, Resonance of Fate (mostly because I'm doing something wrong, or the game is that stupidly hard) or FF 7. (Can't get interested in it, and the graphics physically hurt my eyes if I play for more than 30 minutes) =/

Both games are on my backlog, and I do play it once in a while in hopes of pushing on to next save point in FF7, or next chapter in RoF, it just goes incredibly slow. Mix in that with other more prioritized games and the Unfinished mark won't go away.

Hello Saint's Row: The Third.

Honestly, I don't know why, but just looking at this game make me think of how much I really don't want to play it. It feels boring, despite being about silliness. The missions feel stringed together nonsense with cinematics loosely tying them together. The game is also really technically unimpressive, with objects a few feet in front of me noticeably fading in. I don't notice it in GTAIV or Just Cause 2, and those games look way better than this one and I'm pretty sure the maps are bigger and more complex too.

Oh and the fact that they don't really have the part in the game where you work from the bottom. That is a crime as those parts where you must scrape together all your pennies just to get a new clip for your gun, where you need to shakedown a hobo just so you can guarantee you can eat tomorrow, those parts are the best damn parts in open world and sandbox games. I loved being piss poor in Fallout and having to struggle to even kill raiders, but once I've got my enormous power armour and Gatling Laser with enough ammo to execute half of china, I get bored of fighting very quickly. To remove the struggles at the beginning of the game and just give the players a UAV Predator Missile Drone to rain fiery ordinance down on everything is just lazy and boring.

Oh, and the Police AI is shit. I survived for an hour on max wanted level by sitting in a boat just blasting people to kingdom come. Boring.

Calumon: Games are too hand. Why can't they make controllers that aren't bigger than me! : (

Das Boot:

I got a lot of games for christmas, and since then I have gotten a lot free from PS+.

Mistermixmaster:
Well, Resonance of Fate (mostly because I'm doing something wrong, or the game is that stupidly hard)

Same game, but different reason. Yes, difficulty jumps around like a caffeinated child on crack, but once you get the hang of it, the game is playable. Unfortunately, It's also really fucking long and the combat system started getting on my nerves (takes long and there's no auto-battle), so I just can't muster the will to sit through any more of it.

Aside from that, Killer 7. I want to know the story and dialogue etc, but the gameplay is not the slightest bit interesting to me. Unfortunately, the only LP I've found skips every cutscene and the jackasses recording it talk over all the dialogue.

I know we were supposed to pick one, but I don't see myself ever finishing... hang on. I just remembered I have an unopened copy of FF12 somewhere. Yes, still unopened. Plastic wrap and all. Just flatout never bothered, I've had it for years and I occasionally forget it exists. So I guess that one wins.

Xannidel:

Das Boot:

Some people might have a game they want to complete but then some other game comes out or appeals to them and so they "temporarily" take a break from game A to play game B and the cycle just circulates.

It happens to me as well, I have a lot of PS3 games that I want to finish but some of these games just don't work with me.

That still does not explain why you would buy a game when you are in the middle of another one. Other then people going oh look shiny shiny shiny I cant understand it. It just seems like such a waste of money and really idiotic.

I would understand if say they were gifts for some holiday or a game was on sale dirt cheap but that doesnt really seem to be the case in this thread.

Probably The Sabotuer. I got it for Christmas, played for like a week and a half, but just can't really get myself into the game at all

Probably "Bayonetta" and "Nier". Two games that I bought despite myself, tried them, didn't like them, and will probably never touch them again.

morrowind stupid morag tong quests might have ruined that game for me.
(hey remember that guy that you just killed turns out there is another guy we need you to kill who is right next to him which means you'll have to waste 200 dollars on fast travel and deal with slautgher fish again,don't even get me started on the boethiahs pillow theives guild quest)

Saints Row 2. I bought it right before my extreme city-based sandbox fatigue set in. That was nearly two years ago, and I still can't get motivated to play those kind of games (except Bully, though it isn't really set in a city). I started Saints Row 2, got bored and quit. I started Mafia 2, got bored, quit, and sold the game. I started The Ballad of Gay Tony, got bored and quit. Started The Saboteur, and also got bored and quit. And I'm usually the type who finishes games I start. Hell...I even started playing Infamous, but quit it when it turned out it was a city-based sandbox game with a superhero twist (I'll probably get around to that one eventually, tough). I think those kind of games are just dead to me.

All those great mods/expansions to NWN and NWN2 I keep hearing about. I want to try them, but every time I think about actually playing them, I think about the terribly dull experience I had with both games' vanilla campaigns. Also, NWN2 sorta suffers from having ugly early 3D graphics rather than pretty isometric ones. So basically the game looks like shit AND you don't get the vast field of view that isometric games provide.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked