Introducing the (M)asshole (Another ME3 post)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So it's been just over a month since ME3 came out and I'm sure most have played, beaten or at least heard about the game. We all know about the outrage this game has caused and not from just the ending alone. But I've heard many names floating around for those angry gamers, such as the "community", "fanbase", etc. I think a good term to sum up that group would be "Massholes". Think of it as the Mass Effect universes "Trekkie" but 100 times worse.

Now I consider myself an ME fan. Although I never played ME1, I played through ME2 many times and Im about to finish my 3rd playthrough in ME3 just to wrap up those last achievements. I even look forward to the multiplayer DLC tomorrow.

I also hated the ending of this game, because as I sat there in awe watching the final mission unfold, as soon as the big red laser hit Shepard it was like someone held me down and slapped me in the face repeatedly until the credits rolled. And I'm pretty sure this ending-extending DLC they announced won't help either...

But why am I only a fan and not a Masshole? Because I'm not one of the people who actually take time to attack BioWare staff members, people who wasted time and money sending cupcakes to their office, people who excessively troll forums (this post doesn't count lol) trying to start shit when it doesn't need to be.

What are your thoughts on Massholes? Love em? Hate em? Agree? or wish they would STFU already?

SweetLiquidSnake:
...people who excessively troll forums (this post doesn't count lol)...

Sir, I beg to differ. This post most definitively does count.

SweetLiquidSnake:
I think a good term to sum up that group would be "Massholes".

As a New Hampshire resident I feel obligated to inform you that the term "Masshole" has already been taken by Massachusetts residents who invade our border with their bad driving in order to dodge their state's sales tax.

BloatedGuppy:

SweetLiquidSnake:

No, it doesn't. It's something called "different opinion".

The word "Troll" has become so watered-down that its only meaning now is "People who do not agree with me".

BloatedGuppy:

SweetLiquidSnake:

I knew that was gonna happen... I'm just saying I'm not complaining about the game, I'm complaining about the people complaining about game. This is supposed to be a neutral piece lol.

SweetLiquidSnake:
I knew that was gonna happen... I'm just saying I'm not complaining about the game, I'm complaining about the people complaining about game. This is supposed to be a neutral piece lol.

Your post entitled "introducing the Masshole", in which you identify and castigate a cross section of people as 'Massholes', doesn't count as trolling why exactly? It's pretty much the fucking definition of trolling.

Of course Hyper-space up there agrees with you, so his raging confirmation bias has him convinced he's reading incisive commentary.

SweetLiquidSnake:

Now I consider myself an ME fan. Although I never played ME1, I played through ME2 many times and Im about to finish my 3rd playthrough in ME3 just to wrap up those last achievements. I even look forward to the multiplayer DLC tomorrow.

Fan is short for fanatic so I think just calling someone a fan is kind of saying they are too into something. Being a fan of anything is bad in my mind.(Other then Iron Maiden of course) That being said the "I am annoyed with this" stuff is always more annoying then the thing it stems from well always.

I've gotta go with Guppy on this one...you basically make an announcement "Attention everyone who openly rages against ME3: you're a bunch of assholes. Who agrees with me?" Sounds pretty trollish if you ask me.

It's the same as Zeel making a topic saying "HOLY FUCKING SHIT GARRUS AND TALI HAVE BUTTSECKS THAT RUINS THEIR CONTINUITY AND IF YOU DISAGREE WITH THIS YOU'RE A FUCKING RETARD!"

You might not be calling them "fucking retards", but "asshole" is an insult too.

Eddie the head:
That being said the "I am annoyed with this" stuff is always more annoying then the thing it stems from well always.

:P I'd like to test that: 9 year olds playing Call of Duty. What's more annoying, the 9 year olds or the guy saying "God damnit I can't stand 9 year olds playing CoD." I can definitely see your point, but I just think this might be the one to break it. :3

Eddie the head:
Fan is short for fanatic

Really?

*googles*

Huh, I didn't know that. Well, at least something interesting to come from this thread.

RJ 17 said exactly what I was thinking anyway.

RJ 17:
I've gotta go with Guppy on this one...you basically make an announcement "Attention everyone who openly rages against ME3: you're a bunch of assholes. Who agrees with me?" Sounds pretty trollish if you ask me.

It's the same as Zeel making a topic saying "HOLY FUCKING SHIT GARRUS AND TALI HAVE BUTTSECKS THAT RUINS THEIR CONTINUITY AND IF YOU DISAGREE WITH THIS YOU'RE A FUCKING RETARD!"

You might not be calling them "fucking retards", but "asshole" is an insult too.

I'm going to try to find a way of saying this that's better than your post. I don't see myself succeeding, but darnit! I'm going to try.

SweetLiquidSnake:

BloatedGuppy:

SweetLiquidSnake:

I think we should all drop the retarded pretense of objectivity, nobody has ever been objective about anything and no one ever will. The OP brought up the topic of annoying fanboys because lets just admit, its fun to rag on fanboys, whether outright or in the passive-aggressive, turtling ways of the escapist.

Also it should be continually addressed until the fanboys finally shut up or go away, so in that regard I applaud OP for contributing to the war against fanboyism.

And on that note...

Stilt:
Also it should be continually addressed until the fanboys finally shut up or go away, so in that regard I applaud OP for contributing to the war against fanboyism.

Okay is THIS Zeel? I was wrong about the last Zeel, but this totally sounds like Zeel.

SweetLiquidSnake:
I also hated the ending of this game, because as I sat there in awe watching the final mission unfold, as soon as the big red laser hit Shepard it was like someone held me down and slapped me in the face repeatedly until the credits rolled. And I'm pretty sure this ending-extending DLC they announced won't help either...
I'm just saying I'm not complaining about the game, I'm complaining about the people complaining about game. This is supposed to be a neutral piece lol.

Your logic is faulty. You have stated "I also hated the ending" and then went on to say "I'm not complaining about the game."

Tono Makt:

RJ 17:

I'm going to try to find a way of saying this that's better than your post. I don't see myself succeeding, but darnit! I'm going to try.

:P The important thing is that you agree with the subject of the post, not necessarily the wording. :3

AngleWyrm:

SweetLiquidSnake:
I'm just saying I'm not complaining about the game, I'm complaining about the people complaining about game. This is supposed to be a neutral piece lol.

Your logic is faulty. You have stated "I also hated the ending" and then went on to say "I'm not complaining about the game."

Not necessarily. You can hate something by yourself. Complaining implies announcing hate/frustration/whatever to anyone and making a huge fuss over it. I hate carrots, but I don't make a fuss over them if I find them in my soup.

On the other hand, complaining about complainers would nullify the neutrality, but he's not complaining about the game.

Tuesday Night Fever:

SweetLiquidSnake:

As a New Hampshire resident I feel obligated to inform you that the term "Masshole" has already been taken by Massachusetts residents who invade our border with their bad driving in order to dodge their state's sales tax.

I would like to reply that the only reason us "Massholes" drive bad in New Hampshire is because we're distracted by how your front yards look like garbage dumps.

OT: I think Mass effect fans are more Massholes not because of their reaction to the ending but how they are an unpleasable fanbase. Look at the reaction to almost any announcement prior to the game's release and and it was always RAGE!!!!! By the time the game came out I was already sick of the fans just being immature and angsty, and that was before the whole ending fiasco.

Joseph Harrison:
I would like to reply that the only reason us "Massholes" drive bad in New Hampshire is because we're distracted by how your front yards look like garbage dumps.

Too bad this wouldn't apply to the commercial districts infested by the Massholes every weekend. I guess there aren't any vision tests performed at Massachusetts DMVs. :D

SweetLiquidSnake:

But why am I only a fan and not a Masshole? Because I'm not one of the people who actually take time to attack BioWare staff members, people who wasted time and money sending cupcakes to their office, people who excessively troll forums (this post doesn't count lol) trying to start shit when it doesn't need to be.

What are your thoughts on Massholes? Love em? Hate em? Agree? or wish they would STFU already?

They are just fans that care about a series. I wouldn't consider it [the cupcakes] a waste of money, even if the devs didn't eat any; they got given to kids and that's pretty cool.

Wow I didn't realize so many university-educated philosophy and logic majors hung out on the escapist during the day. I'm not going to bother quoting everyone either.

I only made this post because I wanted to know what objective, non-ME playing people think of these angry gamers, whether or not they agree or think the gamers are over-reacting.
I wanted to set a difference between casual and die hard ME players.

I like the term I made and thought it fit, and the more the people in question rage about it the more it kind of fits...

SweetLiquidSnake:
Wow I didn't realize so many university-educated philosophy and logic majors hung out on the escapist during the day. I'm not going to bother quoting everyone either.

I only made this post because I wanted to know what objective, non-ME playing people think of these angry gamers, whether or not they agree or think the gamers are over-reacting.
I wanted to set a difference between casual and die hard ME players.

I like the term I made and thought it fit, and the more the people in question rage about it the more it kind of fits...

Then you should have worded it better. As I said originally: all you're doing with this topic is saying "I think everyone who rages against ME3 is an asshole. Who agrees with me?" It's a topic whose sole purpose - via the wording - is to pick a fight with those (very) passionate people that you call Massholes.

To be clear, I disagree with that group, but I'm not going to go around calling them a bunch of assholes for what they're doing.

SweetLiquidSnake:

BloatedGuppy:

SweetLiquidSnake:

And you felt that the forum need another one of these threads?

Either way your complaining is irrelevant. Bioware is already working on the DLC for the reshaped ending.

The ME community (of which I personaly know a few people) seemed alright thus far. As of late, they gave the worst possible public display of public entitlement and wrestling control of a franchise they claim to love from the people who provided them with said franchise. There is a very thin line between fighting the good fight, and claiming stuff you have no right to have from the people that make it.

Now, obviously, the majority of the community will not be represented by those people, but the very vocal minority that went bitching about the last month about how they "have the right" to a shiny ending that suits THEIR idea of how the game should end pretty much ruined their reputation and tried to open a very dangerous precedent in the video game industry.

EA and Bioware have been quite patient and responsive, and if at this stage you are STILL not satisfied, then all hope is lost.

AngleWyrm:

SweetLiquidSnake:

That is the single best way to point out flaws in an argument I have ever seen.

I like them, if they succeed I get better content, even if they don't Bioware will think twice about their endings. It's pretty win win for me.

IrritatingSquirrel:

AngleWyrm:

SweetLiquidSnake:

That is the single best way to point out flaws in an argument I have ever seen.

Then I think you will love this thread. Don't be afraid because it is in R&P. Nothing really objectionable in that thread, unless you dislike people talking about logical fallacies.

Jesus Christ. Another "OMG THE ME fans are so horrible" 'winkwinknudge' thread.

Aren't we done with this? What does this get you at all?

I'm not even upset at your need for an ego stroke. I'm upset at how you're lumping everyone together in one crazy mass. In every argument, there will be the sane ones and the ones that take it too far. We obviously disagree on who took it too far, but I honestly don't see how sending damned cupcakes is just as bad as trolling or sending someone hate mail because of what they said. It's a fucking cupcake. Unless the cupcakes were poisoned, it's not as bad as opening your email to see hate be spewed at you in word form.

For the people that were frothing at the mouth like rabid animals, there was another sane group that was upset and tried to get through to Bioware to show how displeased they were with the ending. It doesn't matter though, because everyone that decided they didn't want crap and said so are all "Massholes". Yes, insulting an entire fanbase for being upset is totally justified.

You give me any fanbase and there will be an example of people raging past what is necessary. The only reason this was an issue was because of its scale. How many people rage over George Lucas and his damned movies only for it to die down three days later? How many people rage on this site or any site against Sony? Nintendo? How many people raged against Nintendo not localizing their popular games?

You're right. You're not someone who sent in poorly written letters or cupcakes or money or feedback of any kind. You just made a forum to say how much more mature you are than everyone else that you did nothing but watch from behind a computer screen.

You're not a "Masshole" but you aren't much better.

I agree with 'guppy.

But I did want to add that your thread title would be 99% improved if it was called "Exposing the (M)asshole".

SweetLiquidSnake:
people who excessively troll forums

ITT: OP probably wanted to gain a few badges. We need a "sage function" or what?.

Hyper-space:

BloatedGuppy:

SweetLiquidSnake:

No, it doesn't. It's something called "different opinion".

The word "Troll" has become so watered-down that its only meaning now is "People who do not agree with me".

I remember the days that used to mean something.

EDIT: Please ignore

Tuesday Night Fever:

SweetLiquidSnake:

I used to live in New Hampshire. I feel pity on you having to deal with them. I never had to deal with them myself. (lived to far north. 500 feet from Canada to be exact)

I want a "block anyone who makes another Fucking mass effect 3 topic" button.

I would infact pay for that button. I would pay more if you then sent the OP of these threads a bag of fish heads.

SweetLiquidSnake:

But why am I only a fan and not a Masshole?

Because of your smug sense of self superiority?

Because I'm not one of the people who actually take time to attack BioWare staff members,

No, you just take time to insult people who reacted because they were unhappy with the ending

people who wasted time and money sending cupcakes to their office

You....you say that like it's a bad thing.

people who excessively troll forums (this post doesn't count lol)

Yes. Yes it does. Saying it doesn't count doesn't change the fact that it does count.

trying to start shit when it doesn't need to be.

You mean like what you're doing right now?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked