No one Rags on Steam: why?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Yes your the only person whiny enough to hate steam.

targren:

synobal:
Look I get that steam is a form of DRM, and I was super critical of it at first, but what I get out of the service now is soo much. Cloud storage of my saves, my games anywhere, as many re downloads of games a I want. Steam just has so much going for it these days that it isn't simply DRM but a service and one you get for free.

Nope. If they can lock you out of every game you've bought from them for any reason they want -- or no reason at all (and they can. Read the TOS) -- then it's DRM. It might be DRM with sugary bits and sprinkles, but it's still DRM.

ya I never said it wasn't DRM.

Lucem712:
you can get some really deals if you are smart/lucky.

In other words, You can get some really good deals if you....Look on the front page on any Major holiday or day that ends in Y.

I don't like steam that much I still like to get games in disk form and making me install a program like steam or origin is kind of annoying.

mjc0961:

nasteypenguin:
I love steam and I have had very little issues with it, but I will agree it is far from a perfect service. For one thing, for a service that promises simplicity it's rather complicated to play games offline without at least a little know-how and pre-knowledge of when you will have to play said games offline.

Yeah, it's really hard to open Steam when you're offline and click the play button. I mean, phew! All the times I've done that, it's like Steam magically makes my mouse button require far more pressure to use so that I can't easily click the play button. I usually have to go get a hydraulic machine to exert the necessary pressure for me because it's just to much for a mere human like myself.

Seriously, what is wrong with you people?!

Dude, don't overdo it. That one is a legitimate problem in some cases. They make you switch to offline mode before you quit the program, or it won't start up again after you've disconnected. It won't even give you the option - it'll just report the lack of internet as an error with only an "OK" button, and then nothing. No getting kicked back to the login screen, nothing. Very inconvenient if you have your Internet go down overnight.

But that's the thing about Steam - most of the issues it has only affect a small number of people, and only in very special cases. It's not like Games for Windows Live where it's so poorly designed that a huge number of customers report problems, or Origin or SecuROM where the problems are still rare but really, really bad. Like, borderline criminal. Yes, it's downright infuriating when it happens, and if they had any clue what they were doing they'd have fixed the issues by now, but the real reason you so rarely hear people complaining about it is that most people don't have anything to complain about.

(Full disclosure: I'm apparently of the few lucky bastards who's never had problems with Games for Windows Live either. But I can't argue with numbers.)

Stilt:

ResonanceGames:
I love how the OP even tries to twist the amazing sales into a bad thing.

It's fair enough to not like Steam, but don't pretend its mild annoyances aren't completely overshadowed by multiple advantages, including cheap prices, automatic updates, built-in community features, infinite downloads, a huge selection, and indie-friendly advertising that doesn't just focus on AAA games.

People generally don't rag on Steam because Steam is generally a good service. There isn't a whole lot else to read into it.

And don't forget that it wasn't always that way. Steam was almost universally hated for at least its first two years. Valve had to earn the goodwill, it wasn't there from day one.

When you buy 10 games at once, how many do you end up finishing? Probably just the one you specifically wanted in the first place, im willing to bet 80% of the games hardly get touched. Its just a cheap gimmick to create the illusion of value when in reality it costs them nothing to throw in a bunch of third rate or 10 yr old games that no one will ever buy on their own

then.... dont buy them? thats more of your fault really not Steam's

having said that i do have ONE problem with steam (and it can be very VERY annoying) sometimes when steam is getting an update and for whatever reason your internt isnt working, you cant play ANY steam games until you go online again which can be devastating when you cant connect
thankfully this almost never happens to me but it does to some people and i really hope the fix it

Nouw:
Honestly the only problem I have is the fact that you have to be online to do offline mode. What the fuck? Otherwise, it's great.

this only happens when steam was trying to update

it really sucks they havnt fixed this problem

I hate steam. I don't ever talk about it because everyone's talking about how much they love it. I hate it and can happily rag on it.

Mainly because I HAAAAAATE connecting to the internet to play games. Part of it is I don't like being tracked, part of it is I really don't like people. So on, so forth.

I'm not an angsty person, just angsty on steam.

spartandude:

Stilt:

ResonanceGames:

It's fair enough to not like Steam, but don't pretend its mild annoyances aren't completely overshadowed by multiple advantages, including cheap prices, automatic updates, built-in community features, infinite downloads, a huge selection, and indie-friendly advertising that doesn't just focus on AAA games.

People generally don't rag on Steam because Steam is generally a good service. There isn't a whole lot else to read into it.

And don't forget that it wasn't always that way. Steam was almost universally hated for at least its first two years. Valve had to earn the goodwill, it wasn't there from day one.

When you buy 10 games at once, how many do you end up finishing? Probably just the one you specifically wanted in the first place, im willing to bet 80% of the games hardly get touched. Its just a cheap gimmick to create the illusion of value when in reality it costs them nothing to throw in a bunch of third rate or 10 yr old games that no one will ever buy on their own

having said that i do have ONE problem with steam (and it can be very VERY annoying) sometimes when steam is getting an update and for whatever reason your internt isnt working, you cant play ANY steam games until you go online again which can be devastating when you cant connect
thankfully this almost never happens to me but it does to some people and i really hope the fix it

I don't, in the end its just a relatively minor manipulation of the millions that use steam in comparison to the torrent of giant lies and manipulation that goes on in the world. I think it's the fact that people are so easily snagged by the idea of a "DEAAAAALLLL", when in reality the extras are almost always crap and a waste of time.

The problem you described is indeed very annoying, and it should happen never.
There's no reason for it except for greed. Why do you think steam and origin want all that data from your computer? So they can just sit on it and take up server space with it? NO, they are obviously selling it for cash

Why do people complain about that they need to launch Steam to play the games they desire to play? It takes about 5 seconds to launch, and bam. Your in. Then you have access to all your different games, friends, store and so on. Piece a cake.

Stilt:

buying 800 games for 10 dollars and then never playing any of them?

What...?

is this...?

I don't even...?

See, when i buy things on steam i buy them because you know...

I want them?

Stilt:

spartandude:

Stilt:

I don't, in the end its just a relatively minor manipulation of the millions that use steam in comparison to the torrent of giant lies and manipulation that goes on in the world. I think it's the fact that people are so easily snagged by the idea of a "DEAAAAALLLL", when in reality the extras are almost always crap and a waste of time.

The problem you described is indeed very annoying, and it should happen never.
There's no reason for it except for greed. Why do you think steam and origin want all that data from your computer? So they can just sit on it and take up server space with it? NO, they are obviously selling it for cash

the first point you cant blame steam exclusively, several companies around the world in many different industries do that, i still say its a consumer fault not the seller

and the second one, well yes it is annoying and should be fixed BUT it doesnt always happen (in fact very rarely as it depends on it being updated when i went offline) and they dont get any info from me because i ticked a box saying they arnt allowed to making much of you later point meaningless

SajuukKhar:

Yep because allowing games to be put on other DD platforms should the devs want to is monopolistic?

Oh look, a strawman! Haven't seen one of those on these boards in....Five minutes!

ResonanceGames:

Non sequitur. Has absolutely nothing to do with what I said and is nonsense to boot.

Except, you know, amazing deals are often offered as part of a business strategy to become a monopoly. I'm sorry you cannot see how that ties in to your statement about amazing sales, but the problem is on your end.

Unless it was a disingenuous dismissal, which would be fitting since the only other response I got on the matter was from someone knocking down strawmen.

Either (cluelessness or dishonesty) would also explain how you missed the topic creator's point in that.

Stilt:
Steam is one of the most butt fucking invasive programs out there, it starts up every time you turn your computer on, and hides in the background like a little shit. And even when you try to exit the thing, it still runs in the background being a pain in the ass. Finally, they make it a bitch to uninstall.

So am I the only one who cares about any of this, or is everyone too busy buying 800 games for 10 dollars and then never playing any of them? Or forcing themselves to play them to feel like they got their money's worth?

If the fact that it is running in the background pisses you off just go into task manager and kill the process tree. Also:

If Steam is running

In Steam, right-click on the icon in the the taskbar and select Settings, or from the full client, in the menu bar, select Steam, then Settings.

Click on the Interface tab, and in the middle of the window, clear the check box that reads Run Steam when my computer starts.
If Steam is not running

Run msconfig.exe. Under the Startup tab, look for the Steam entry and clear its check box. This will clear the corresponding setting in Steam as well.

So yeah, I don't hate steam because the benefits out weigh the costs.

YAY! Post # 500

Stilt:
Steam is one of the most butt fucking invasive programs out there, it starts up everytime you turn your computer on, and hides in the background like a little shit. And even when you try to exit the thing, it still runs in the background being a pain in the ass. Finally, they make it a bitch to uninstall.

So am I the only one who cares about any of this, or is everyone too busy buying 800 games for 10 dollars and then never playing any of them? Or forcing themselves to play them to feel like they got their money's worth?

Hey Escapists, am I the only one who gets the feeling that EA is paying people to talk shit about Steam on gaming forums?..

These threads shouldn't even exist, he is bitching about something that isn't an issue with steam. Ever since I downloaded steam it has never once launched at start up unless I set it that way in the options.

And then he complains about how cheap the games are... Fucking seriously?

Weird how naturally later on in the same thread something came up about how great Origin's deals are as well... Hmmmmm.

Zachary Amaranth:
Oh look, a strawman! Haven't seen one of those on these boards in....Five minutes!

Zachary Amaranth: claims Valve is trying to be a monopoly
SajuukKhar: points out actions that go against that belief
Zachary Amaranth: YOUR JUST USING A STRAWMAN
SajuukKhar:

Doogan:
Now now calm down everyone. When Valve first released Steam nearly everyone one thought it was the devil now most people who use there PC's for gaming has Steam for a few reasons - Much Cheapness - Auto Updates - A Metric SH*T Ton of Games (New and Old) and not forgetting ............H A T S ! ! ! ! !

Where are you getting your data? My sources state that it has mucho cheapness for a 3.2 Cubic buttloads of games, or 1.16 metric sh*t tons.

Gudrests:

Lucem712:
you can get some really deals if you are smart/lucky.

In other words, You can get some really good deals if you....Look on the front page on any Major holiday or day that ends in Y.

More like "You can find about seven great deals or so every single day."

And what's with all this "You have to connect to the internet" business? All you do is click on the Steam icon, click on a game in your list and hit "Play". As long as your computer actually has internet, you shouldn't have a problem. There isn't anything further that you need to do.

Zachary Amaranth:

SajuukKhar:

Yep because allowing games to be put on other DD platforms should the devs want to is monopolistic?

I'm sorry but that wasn't a strawman.

Steam doesn't force any dev to give up the sole distribution rights to Valve. What Sajuu said is entirely correct. He's not hyperbolising your argument to make it seem incorrect. Simply providing you with evidence that contradicts your theory.

If anything, your implication that sales are bad because they are good for monopolising is the strawman. (technically a non sequitur, but roll with it.)

Sure sales are a good way to monopolise in the long term, and Valve basically does have the monopoly on PC DD. But sales =/= bad.

Steam is an easy to use, convenient, and useful platform. It offers a metric crap ton of games, and oftentimes offers unbeatable deals on them.

The ammount of Butthurt the OP has is unbareable.
Nitpicking at the little things gets you no where.

Atmos Duality:

Stilt:
you can get those games anywhere for cheap, especially since half of them are over 4 years old.

Prove it.

While I really, really, really don't agree with the OP, I did a little bit of research.
Fallout 3 and Deus Ex: HR could be bought cheaper through Gamestation's website than through steam (thought I only did those two and Bioshock 2).

However, Steam puts out so many sales that it's really moot what the current price is. I got my hands on Deus Ex for the equivalent of $8 a few weeks ago.

Because I have never had any problems with it, ever. I have never been unable to play my games in offline mode (It works for me by default with no internet connection), I don't have it run automatically, and it exits properly (not by clicking the X in the main screen), I haven't been banned, it hasn't ran spyware and it doesn't even care that I still have pirated games on my system (nothing from the last 5 years). It offers better prices than anywhere else (because it's tax free for Canadians), has no rule about buying in Canadian Dollars, has great sales, automatically finds patches and most importantly, has an amazing variety of games. Why wouldn't I love Steam, it's already wins on variety, and the fact it's cheaper makes it instantly my go to source.

Captcha agrees with me: That's right

-.-

you do know you can turn the automatic start up off right? its in the 'options' some where.

other then that, feel free to chill out a bit dood, raging like that makes you sound troll-ish

psicat:
Snip

He wasn't attacking you. You, on the other hand, is attacking him. Why am I even posting here? This entire thread is just a big pile of flame bait, and nothing good will ever come from it.

ResonanceGames:

Pretty much. Valve is constantly supporting the platform with updates. It's hardly a buggy mess as the OP likes to imply.

Steve the Pocket:

mjc0961:

nasteypenguin:
I love steam and I have had very little issues with it, but I will agree it is far from a perfect service. For one thing, for a service that promises simplicity it's rather complicated to play games offline without at least a little know-how and pre-knowledge of when you will have to play said games offline.

Yeah, it's really hard to open Steam when you're offline and click the play button. I mean, phew! All the times I've done that, it's like Steam magically makes my mouse button require far more pressure to use so that I can't easily click the play button. I usually have to go get a hydraulic machine to exert the necessary pressure for me because it's just to much for a mere human like myself.

Seriously, what is wrong with you people?!

Dude, don't overdo it. That one is a legitimate problem in some cases. They make you switch to offline mode before you quit the program, or it won't start up again after you've disconnected. It won't even give you the option - it'll just report the lack of internet as an error with only an "OK" button, and then nothing. No getting kicked back to the login screen, nothing. Very inconvenient if you have your Internet go down overnight.

But that's the thing about Steam - most of the issues it has only affect a small number of people, and only in very special cases. It's not like Games for Windows Live where it's so poorly designed that a huge number of customers report problems, or Origin or SecuROM where the problems are still rare but really, really bad. Like, borderline criminal. Yes, it's downright infuriating when it happens, and if they had any clue what they were doing they'd have fixed the issues by now, but the real reason you so rarely hear people complaining about it is that most people don't have anything to complain about.

(Full disclosure: I'm apparently of the few lucky bastards who's never had problems with Games for Windows Live either. But I can't argue with numbers.)

There are a few steps that you must take to ensure that Offline Mode works. The best way to do it is to run your games at least once before trying to run them in Offline Mode. It's also important that Steam remains updated. Personally, I've never had serious problems with Offline Mode. You must also ensure that account credentials are saved locally in the Steam options!

Tuesday Night Fever:

psicat:
Yeah, Steam is an invasive, buggy, DRM platform. But, unfortunately there are a lot of Valve fanboys, which this forum is filled with, and to them Steam is gods gift to gaming since it's Valve distribution service. While Origin which is almost the exact same thing can be ragged on for everything since of course it's EA.

But, whatever ridiculous logic PC gamers use to justify the use of Steam is their problems. Personally I prefer DRM free gaming and stick to digital distributors like GOG, GamersGate, and purchasing directly from indie developers for PC games.

I don't think the preference to Steam on this forum has anything to do with Valve fanboys, at least in most cases. I think generally it's going to be because of how many promotions Steam holds, and a general dislike for EA business practices as of late.

As for myself, I use both Origin and Steam. To me, they aren't even close to being "almost the exact same thing" as you put it.

Between the two, I admittedly would rather use Steam. It has a larger library of available games, and with the massive number of sales they do the prices are much lower most of the time. Beyond that, Steam has been around for a lot longer and has had much more development time, so Origin is noticeably more buggy and prone to technical issues.

Note that I'm not a Valve fanboy. I've played the Half-Life games, sure, but I've always seen them as rather average FPS titles and to this day don't understand why they get such ridiculously massive praise. I really couldn't care less that it's Valve at the helm for Steam.

That said, I'd prefer to buy pretty much everything through distributors like your aforementioned Good Old Games. If I can get the game I'm looking for through them, I'm definitely going to be buying it there. But for the time being their library isn't particularly large, and they don't typically carry new releases.

This, this, and, oh yeah, THIS. I have never had any problems with Steam or Origin, but other people have proclaimed problems with Origin, and not Steam. Maybe the fact that EA effectively lied to some people with BF3 drove them away as well. I'm of course referring to that whole thing with Steam's "Restrictive ToS" which prevented EA from "Providing the best service possible" to their customers, despite the fact that they're implying they were not giving their best service with BF:BC2 and Mirror's edge.

I don't know. I didn't even know Steam existed until about 2006 or 2007. I suppose it's partially the deals, partially the user-friendliness, and partially the fact that it's convenient as anything. Whenever you close a game, it provides you with News about preordering games, DLC for games you own. Origin began doing this in the last update. Plus, I don't go on Origin to shop. I don't have anything wrong with it, I just only use it for Battlefield 3. I have nothing against Steam; I have only had one problem with it: that stupid Offline mode thing which annoys everyone, even the people you call "Valve fanboys".

Oh yeah. Also, do you want to put more pressure on developers of games? Because without Steam, quite a few game developers would need to input their own "Friends" systems. One awesome feature is the ability to join friends in games, and communicate with friends in other games. Let's see YOU come up with a better way to do cross-game chat and share screenshots with friends. Steam is convenient for developers, including some indie developers, because it advertises their games and helps them out. Amnesia wouldn't have come out without Steam. Another thing Steam has is demos. Yes, you remember demos? Those wonderful things where you could try out games? Other places have them too, but most games on PC have their demos there. Good luck finding demos for some games elsewhere.

Steam being evil/bad/poor is opinionated, as is it being wonderful/God's gift to gamers/awesome. You call it intrusive, I call it friendly. Go figure. In the end, what do you expect to accomplish? A flame war? You want people to get "Educated"? That's what it seems like, even unintentionally. Anyone who's bought more than 5 games on Steam isn't going to stop using it. I certainly won't. This is my 2 cents.

Zer_:
There are a few steps that you must take to ensure that Offline Mode works. The best way to do it is to run your games at least once before trying to run them in Offline Mode. It's also important that Steam remains updated. Personally, I've never had serious problems with Offline Mode. You must also ensure that account credentials are saved locally in the Steam options!

Yes, yes, I'm aware of all that. But the last step is switching to offline mode deliberately before you're disconnected. They treat offline mode as a "lifestyle choice" that you make ahead of time rather than as a fallback if your Internet goes down unexpectedly, and which will not work if it does.

Stilt:

So am I the only one who cares about any of this, or is everyone too busy buying 800 games for 10 dollars

Yeah, that about sums it up.

Iwata:
I do.

I've alraedy detailed here how they arbitrarily locked me out of my account (and I'm as adamantly anti-piracy as one can be) and thus pretty much robbed me of hundreds of €€€ of legaly-bought games.

I've already explained how their customer support was so useless that they copy/pasted replies and sometimes even replied with blank e-mails. They even ignored my offers to send them photos of the games and their respective manuals with their cd-keys.

And I've already explained that the reason I no longer play PC games was this incident with Steam.

But, I am but one tiny drop in an ocean of people who constantly praise them, so they can afford to be douchebags to us select few.

A buddy of mine had a similar problem. He didn't use the email account he'd originally logged into Steam with any more and was therefore unable to get in and reset his Steam password when he forgot it. They basically just said, "Sorry, not our problem, dude." now he refuses to buy anything from them.

My only problem with Steam is its slight instability with every system I've put it on. Aside from that, it's either problems with DRM in general (or with specific games) or online distribution in general (not comfortable not having physical disc copies of games).

As for shadow processes... there are none. Serious. I keep very close tabs on every process my windows installation is running. When I installed steam, it started running steam.exe, which shuts down when I shut steam down (also, it runs GameOverlayUI.exe in-game, which is exactly what it sounds like, the steam overlay accessible with shift+tab. Also, you can disable it in settings). It didn't even put any more into my registry than an average game, never even strayed from the directories it created, aside from a couple new entries in SecuROM (which is pretty well required for any legit PC gaming these days)... and yes, I have to manually okay every registry entry when I do anything in windows, I find its lack of security appalling (ironically I'm booted up in XP right now though, because I've been gaming today).

Now, that's from the perspective of a tech savvy geek in the US. Their regional pricing schemes suck for certain areas of the world (regardless of citizenship, you get a raw deal based on IP), and they are known for fucking people over in many places outside the US based on suspicion of piracy... and that sucks.

...and I don't even like most valve games, just the Portal series.

Because steam powers my fucking train!

Why do I use Steam?

1. Valve cares about their customers. I once e-mailed Chet Falisek about Ellis from L4D2's outfit (I was dressing as him for Halloween), and my e-mail was directed to the character designer, who not only answered all of my questions, but sent me an Ellis hat replica (with the little tow truck on it) in the mail, totally free, and totally just because I asked a question.

2. There are some KILLER deals on Steam. Games I purchased for less than $15: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, GTA IV, Bioshock, Just Cause 2, Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, and several others. I got a second copy of Portal for free, too, so I could give it to a friend.

3. It is likely the sole reason PC gaming still exists. Not only has Steam secured the future of PC gaming on PC's, but they also broke ground on Mac computers, too, which, given the immense popularity of Apple these days, only means that personal computer gaming will become MORE popular over time.

4. Steam is a key component of the first real push for cross-platform play. I can play Portal 2 on my PC while my friend plays on his PS3, and we can do co-op, together. There was a plan to make CS:GO cross-platform, but it didn't pan out. I imagine this isn't the last we'll hear of it, though.

5. It updates games automatically, it's dead simple to use, and includes it's own social network.

Steam was ahead of the curve, predicting digital media would become commonplace. Yet, despite being the most used gaming distribution software, despite having it's digs in your computer, it offers you more in return than what you sacrifice to use it, and so far Valve have never abused their position.

So yeah.

Steve the Pocket:

Zer_:

Yes, yes, I'm aware of all that. But the last step is switching to offline mode deliberately before you're disconnected. They treat offline mode as a "lifestyle choice" that you make ahead of time rather than as a fallback if your Internet goes down unexpectedly, and which will not work if it does.

Actually, if you've followed the steps and used Offline mode at least once, it will always work afterwards, exceptions can arise if you download a new game or a game gets updated.

I haven't had any problems with steam. Well there was one time it kept freezing up but that was my fault. So maybe your steam just doesn't like you

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked