Games for Women

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Chaps and chappesses .. I've been interested of late in the gender divide surrounding preferred game genres or even specific titles. We all know the stereotype of men preferring ShootyShooty and women preferring SimSandwichMaking but I'm aware there's also a high amount of individuals for whom this just doesn't fit.

I'd love to know what games men think women enjoy playing and from the women what they enjoy and why :)

Women, like men, are people, and thus sometimes different and sometimes similar. Different people like different things, and sometimes they like the same things, for same reasons or different reasons.

What makes you think there can be a definitive answer what men and women like because of their gender?

There are probably just as many men annoyed because of sexist stuff in games as women, whether it's directed at them or not. It annoys some people, doesn't annoy others. Some women don't mind. Some men do.

The very idea that there exists a valid generalization is the source of the problem, methinks.

MomoElektra:
Women, like men, are people, and thus sometimes different and sometimes similar. Different people like different things, and sometimes they like the same things, for same reasons or different reasons.

What makes you think there can be a definitive answer what men and women like because of their gender?

There are probably just as many men annoyed because of sexist stuff in games as women, whether it's directed at them or not. It annoys some people, doesn't annoy others. Some women don't mind. Some men do.

The very idea that there exists a valid generalization is the source of the problem, methinks.

Obviously there is never going to be a "definite" answer to the question, it doesn't mean there isn't a general answer that applies in a lot of, even majority of circumstances. In my experience girls that play games enjoy more puzzle based and/or platform games as opposed to actiony type games. I'm a guy, and also prefer these types of games (just to hammer home the "no definitive answer" point). But yeh, also know girls that like shoot em ups ect so it can go either way.

hey_iknowyou:

MomoElektra:

Obviously there is never going to be a "definite" answer to the question, it doesn't mean there isn't a general answer that applies in a lot of, even majority of circumstances. In my experience girls that play games enjoy more puzzle based and/or platform games as opposed to actiony type games. I'm a guy, and also prefer these types of games (just to hammer home the "no definitive answer" point). But yeh, also know girls that like shoot em ups ect so it can go either way.

But you will always have the problem of defining cause and effect.

Do girls, if true, tend to like puzzle games more because of biology/evolution/whatever or do they tend to like them more because they get encouraged to do so and discouraged from liking other stuff or is it a mix and if how influential is either side?

MomoElektra:

Certainly which is why I was interested in what people thought rather than just accepting the existing generalisations. Or whether what people thought *did* support how the industry appears to cater for gamers.

Apologies if anyone thinks this is a trollsh gender debate, it's certainly not intended as such. I'm just curious as to the mechanisms behind game development / ideas and whether it's driven by stereotyped ideas of what gamers want.

Pokemon, and JRPG's in general. I Also know a rather large number of women who are hugely into Oblivion and Skyrim, despite not liking any other Western RPGs.

If you'd asked me ten years ago, I probably would have laughed at the concept of female gamers in general, then once I stopped laughing I probably would have shrugged and suggested The Sims or something based on Barbie or Hello Kitty or what have you.

Notably ten years ago I was thirteen, and a dumbass.

Now I'm inclined to say that this -

MomoElektra:

- perfectly sums up my thoughts on the subject.

If I was forced to say, I would say something lighthearted or goofy, like castle crashers, death spank or maybe the age of empires online.

No doubt there are female gamers who like dark souls and COD (I know 2 girls who like COD).

Judging by girls I know, the same sort of games as men. Well except for sports games it seems. If I were to take a guess on what overall women would play more it would be puzzle games. Or JRPGs perhaps.

From what I've seen, it varies. Just like, you know, with dudes.

It varies. I'm female, and will play practically anything except for sports games. And then I have a friend who plays final fantasy games, soul calibur IV and COD. And another friend who sticks to portal, the zelda series, pokemon, and banjo kazooie (however you spell that haha)

Honestly, I don't think there is a specific category that females stick to. I mean, I guess there are casual games but there are plenty of males who just play casual games as well.

It's the sort of question that shouldn't need answering, really. 'girl gamers' and 'guy gamers' shouldn't be a distinction, it should just be 'gamers' each with their own tastes, likes, dislikes, and so on and so forth. Sure there are a few trends, but they shouldn't be used to sum up the whole.

IrritatingSquirrel:
It's the sort of question that shouldn't need answering, really. 'girl gamers' and 'guy gamers' shouldn't be a distinction, it should just be 'gamers' each with their own tastes, likes, dislikes, and so on and so forth. Sure there are a few trends, but they shouldn't be used to sum up the whole.

I'm chuffed people are coming back with this response, do you think more games are designed based on what will sell or for pushing boundaries / innovating?

onegirlgaming:

IrritatingSquirrel:

I'm chuffed people are coming back with this response, do you think more games are designed based on what will sell or for pushing boundaries / innovating?

Depends where you look. I've stopped looking for innovation in big title games, but if you check out some of the games people are trying for on kickstarter (assuming this whole kickstarter thing works)there's some pretty interesting stuff, as well as some smaller downloadable titles on steam and stuff.

Eeeer, I'd imagine it's just as diverse as fellahs. I like FPS, RPG, some puzzle, adventure, platform (2D/3D), and fast paced fighting games. Don't sit a RTS or anythin' turn based in front of me, or I'll kick ya in the face.

Okay, so I probably won't kick you but...You've been warned :<

The majority of female gamers I know play MMORPGs. What surprises me is that those female MMO players aren't bitches, they're just regular people, nearly every female I've met in genres like FPSs or MOBAs are attention seeking sluts that spam shit in chat like "SILLY BOIS XDDDDDDDDDDDDD" and use an excessive amount of Asian emoticons. As a historical note I also know girls are often found on the XBLA Uno game, many penises are found also. ಠ_ಠ

Jasper Jeffs:
The majority of female gamers I know play MMORPGs. What surprises me is that those female MMO players aren't bitches, they're just regular people, nearly every female I've met in genres like FPSs or MOBAs are attention seeking sluts that spam shit in chat like "SILLY BOIS XDDDDDDDDDDDDD" and use an excessive amount of Asian emoticons. As a historical note I also know girls are often found on the XBLA Uno game, many penises are found also. ಠ_ಠ

Ever occurred to you that the stupidly attention seeking ones are really weird guys faking it? In my experience on games with chat girls sort of keep on the down low to avoid pre-pubescent idiot reactions like TITS OR GTFO and so on and so forth. Or am I just being overly cynical here?

Jasper Jeffs:
The majority of female gamers I know play MMORPGs. What surprises me is that those female MMO players aren't bitches, they're just regular people, nearly every female I've met in genres like FPSs or MOBAs are attention seeking sluts that spam shit in chat like "SILLY BOIS XDDDDDDDDDDDDD" and use an excessive amount of Asian emoticons.

What is it with video games and regressive attitudes about gender?

As a female I like a little bit of everything.

Sims, Final Fantasy, Fallout, Mass Effect, Portal, Mini Ninjas, Jak, Kingdom Hearts, Zak & Wiki, Saints Row, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Flower, Devil May Cry, Assassin's Creed, Persona, Skyrim, Loco Roco, Enchanted Arms, Fable, Batman Arkham Asylum, Cooking/Gardening Mama, Dragon Age, Keflings, Harvest Moon, Blue Dragon, Enslaved, Sly Cooper, My Sims, Beyond Good & Evil, Overlord II, Mirror's Edge, Heavy Rain, The Legend of Zelda, Little Big Planet, Prince of Persia, Folklore, Catherine, Pokemon, American Mcgee's Alice, Diner Dash...that's just what I can think off of the top of my head. There's lots more.

But yeah, little bit of everything. I don't knock COD but I personally don't see the lure. I can't stand sport games honestly. And I don't play horror games cause while I LOVE to watch them, playing them just fucks me up.

Hell I know I'll probably get shit for it but I'll even admit that I find games about tending to horses cater to the five year old girl somewhere still inside me.

IrritatingSquirrel:
Ever occurred to you that the stupidly attention seeking ones are really weird guys faking it? In my experience on games with chat girls sort of keep on the down low to avoid pre-pubescent idiot reactions like TITS OR GTFO and so on and so forth. Or am I just being overly cynical here?

Kahunaburger:

Sarcasm crits for over 9000. Christ, you guys got up on that high horse quick.

Well, from my experience - SOME women like shooting and racing games. But most of my female friends who pkay games find them too stressful, and so prefer something a little more laid back, like a puzzler or platformer. Preferably something that requires teamwork. Ms splosionman went down very well with them.

Of course there is always exceptions :P

As a guy, i love my shooting games full of blood and death. I also love racing games (preferably ones which promote crashing into others).

I also enjoy animal crossing and the lego games.

Jasper Jeffs:

IrritatingSquirrel:

Kahunaburger:

Any high horsing was entirely unintentional and I apologise - I was just saying the attention seeking ones make me kind of suspicious.

This is really more about what people enjoy playing and whether there's any validity to what I assumed were stereotyped opinions like women and CookingMama and men with CoD. I exaggerate obviously but merely to explain my point.

Jasper Jeffs:

IrritatingSquirrel:

Kahunaburger:

Poe's law, man. People were unironically expressing that opinion on a similar thread to this one last week.

Screamarie:
As a female I like a little bit of everything.

Sims, Final Fantasy, Fallout, Mass Effect, Portal, Mini Ninjas, Jak, Kingdom Hearts, Zak & Wiki, Saints Row, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Flower, Devil May Cry, Assassin's Creed, Persona, Skyrim, Loco Roco, Enchanted Arms, Fable, Batman Arkham Asylum, Cooking/Gardening Mama, Dragon Age, Keflings, Harvest Moon, Blue Dragon, Enslaved, Sly Cooper, My Sims, Beyond Good & Evil, Overlord II, Mirror's Edge, Heavy Rain, The Legend of Zelda, Little Big Planet, Prince of Persia, Folklore, Catherine, Pokemon, American Mcgee's Alice, Diner Dash...that's just what I can think off of the top of my head. There's lots more.

But yeah, little bit of everything. I don't knock COD but I personally don't see the lure. I can't stand sport games honestly. And I don't play horror games cause while I LOVE to watch them, playing them just fucks me up.

Hell I know I'll probably get shit for it but I'll even admit that I find games about tending to horses cater to the five year old girl somewhere still inside me.

Yay for pony games! I totally agree, I always wonder how many female gamers keep quiet about that for fear of mocking.

Ones with well designed and fun gameplay mechanics, well thought out art styles, and if they're narrative- have an engaging story with interesting and well developed characters rather than charicatures.

EClaris:
Ones with well designed and fun gameplay mechanics, well thought out art styles, and if they're narrative- have an engaging story with interesting and well developed characters rather than charicatures.

So essentially - Good games. Funny how the simplest answer often makes the most sense.

IrritatingSquirrel:

EClaris:

So essentially - Good games. Funny how the simplest answer often makes the most sense.

I was afraid "Good ones" would smack me with a warning so I added the pretty words to sound smart

EClaris:

IrritatingSquirrel:

EClaris:

I was afraid "Good ones" would smack me with a warning so I added the pretty words to sound smart

I gave up sounding smart on the internet a long time ago. I'm just no good at it.

Kahunaburger:
Poe's law, man. People were unironically expressing that opinion on a similar thread to this one last week.

Haha, I kinda like the internet for that. I like how one little ;) completely changes everything, so I usually leave it out for my own amusement.

IrritatingSquirrel:
Any high horsing was entirely unintentional and I apologise - I was just saying the attention seeking ones make me kind of suspicious.

Yeah me too, and rightfully so, I know a guy that has pretended to be female in WoW and has received free items as a result. I don't what's worse, him doing it or the people that actually give shit away because vagina.

IrritatingSquirrel:

EClaris:

But there we just loop back around to personal opinion on what's fun. Are there fewer women who play games because they don't like the hobby at all or because there aren't enough games designed with aspects that are preferred?

Jasper Jeffs:

Kahunaburger:

Haha, I kinda like the internet for that. I like how one little ;) completely changes everything, so I usually leave it out for my own amusement.

IrritatingSquirrel:

Yeah me too, and rightfully so, I know a guy that has pretended to be female in WoW and has received free items as a result. I don't what's worse, him doing it or the people that actually give shit away because vagina.

I knew a guy who did the exact same thing. He wasn't even good at pretending, people just seemed blinded buy pixel boobs.

Jasper Jeffs:

Kahunaburger:

IrritatingSquirrel:

I must be doing something wrong in these games, I never get free stuff! You'd think with all these socially inept sex starved men everywhere it'd be easy /joking

onegirlgaming:

IrritatingSquirrel:

EClaris:

But there we just loop back around to personal opinion on what's fun. Are there fewer women who play games because they don't like the hobby at all or because there aren't enough games designed with aspects that are preferred?

I think some of it can be a social thing - every guy I know who plays games was bought games as a child, y'know, grew up with them. I know maybe one girl who I can say that for. So maybe some women just see them as a guy thing because that's the unfortunate way they were raised. The wii and the DS not withstanding in this point, since everyone seems to have one of them at some point.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked