Skyrim=Boring?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

I was so hyped for Skyrim a couple months before it came out. I had played and really enjoyed elder scrolls 4 as well as fallout 3.I even had it preloaded on steam for launch day and played it at midnight. I had a major skyrim weekend that week and got to 25-30 hours and beat the game. Ever since beating the game every time I try to play and do side quests I am underwhelmed and bored with in 10-15 minutes. Ive tried many mods they don't seem to help at all either, what could be the problem?

Edit: I just hear a lot about people who still play and was wondering if that's the norm.

The problem seems to be that Skyrim is just...well...shit?

Barely any quests are of interest. Christ, 90% of them are horrible. Main quest is shit, mage guild is horrible, Dark Brotherhood is alright.

Skyrim lacks decent narrative to keep playing. I recommend going to New Vegas.

kman123:

Barely any quests are of interest. Christ, 90% of them are horrible. Main quest is shit, mage guild is horrible, Dark Brotherhood is alright.

I wish I could, played and beat it a long time ago.

Maybe you just played too much at once and now you're all Skyimed out. It can happen. That's why I usually try to take a leisurely pace at my games.

You could wait for the DLC? It might give Skyrim some more life. I'm bored of Skyrim after 50 hours I'm only level 29, I haven't finished the main quest.

kman123:

that's what i personally call going from bad to worse but each to their own

OT: all skyrim needed was a good narrative and voice actors (good god the voice acting is terrible, i play the game muted 1/2 the time its so bad) and quest's that were built with some cohesion and didnt expect you to start of by doing a tutorial every fucking quest line and it would have been great, honestly combine skyrim's world with mass effect's writing and voice acting and youve got one of the greatest games of all time

more minor improvement's (not neccisary but would be good)
1. some high level enemy variety not just the same enemies from normal but with beafed up stat's (fallout did this well)
2. a better/funner combat system
3. a better levelling system (not so easily broken, not relying on perks)
4. buff magic (its way underpowered compared to my melee, archer and stealth classes)
5. nerf stealth (im a cat and therefore invisible!!!)

I found the game impossibly boring. I loved the Fallout series, but the Elder Scrolls series never gelled with me. Skyrim in particular just feels so cold and lifeless. The world is sterile, the NPCs are boring, and the Main Quest is a cluttered mess of big overarching conflicts that never really payoff. The combat is boring and all the factions behave exactly the same.

I honestly can't find a single NPC that wasn't more than a cardboard cutout who's sole point is to shout ambient dialogue or give you a fetch quest. There are three overarching stories going on all fighting for top billing and they all just fizzle out without providing ANY satisfaction. The different factions and guilds feel incredibly boring and one dimensional and serve only to provide more quests. The random dragon encounters are probably THE most annoying aspect of the game apart from how much I hate how boring every character is.

I also find the game damn near impossible to role-play in. The obtrusive leveling system means I have to grind my skills for perks which means I'm not able to really play how I want because my actions are dictated by what I need more experience in at that moment.

The problem is it's just too damn easy, and there's little reward for finishing a quest other than a pile of coins and some xp to add another number to your stats list. And no, increasing the combat difficulty is not what I'm talking about - there are other ways of making a game harder than making the enemies tougher.

It does some things better and some things worst than previous bethesda games.

The enviroment, voice acting, combat and leveling system are all vastly improved. But the quests are boring and the dungeons are all linear corridors.

The dull quests by extention make all the guilds pretty weak. I think my biggest disappointment was the Brotherhood, I didn't like Oblivion much but the Dark Brotherhood quests where all really intense creative stealth missions, where as Skyrim just points out some bloke to kill.

But I think it makes up for it in the other ways I've mentioned. Skyrim is a world I'm actually interested in exploring unlike Oblivion generic fantasy landscape, and the combat feels good and is vastly better than the last Elder Scrolls and a little better than Fallout 3's slighty clunky vats system.

Now that the hype is gone and I can look at it with unclouded eyes it was very, very flawed, but I still got a good 80 hours out of it. How many single player games can I say that about? I'm certainly going to be picking up any DLC.

It is boring, the sense of progression is seriously hampered by the fact that they replaced attributes with perks, most of which suck. The world really isn't that attractive, you want black and white, watch an old movie.

New Vegas is far more interesting.

Yikes 4 months later and on comes the hate.

I liked skyrim, but its not for everyone. Next time I hop in, I begin the genocide, now that I've finished essentially every quest worth doing.

Every citizen of skyrim will meet a fiery electric death.

There will be no one to utter the phrase of the arrow'd knee

SomeBritishDude:
It does some things better and some things worst than previous bethesda games.

The enviroment, voice acting, combat and leveling system are all vastly improved. But the quests are boring and the dungeons are all linear corridors.

The dull quests by extention make all the guilds pretty weak. I think my biggest disappointment was the Brotherhood, I didn't like Oblivion much but the Dark Brotherhood quests where all really intense creative stealth missions, where as Skyrim just points out some bloke to kill.

But I think it makes up for it in the other ways I've mentioned. Skyrim is a world I'm actually interested in exploring unlike Oblivion generic fantasy landscape, and the combat feels good and is vastly better than the last Elder Scrolls and a little better than Fallout 3's slighty clunky vats system.

Now that the hype is gone and I can look at it with unclouded eyes it was very, very flawed, but I still got a good 80 hours out of it. How many single player games can I say that about? I'm certainly going to be picking up any DLC.

You really think the combat was better? I enjoyed fallout 3's combat better by a mile.

The sidequests are pretty mindless and boring. I still love playing it since it gives me something to do while I watch anime. Now playing it and not doing anything else at the same time I'd be bored quickly.

I don't often play a game for 30+ hours and decide I don't like it, but that's just me.

I enjoy the game and I pop it once a week or more if I get into it. I enjoy Fallout 3 and NV more but that's mostly because I really enjoy the lore behind Fallout, the game-play and the world surround it.

If on the other hand you actually enjoy the game, but are bored because you've done everythin' you've wanted to, (if you are on a pc) just download some mods. The exploding chicken one looks super entertaining!

Lucem712:
I don't often play a game for 30+ hours and decide I don't like it, but that's just me.

I enjoy the game and I pop it once a week or more if I get into it. I enjoy Fallout 3 and NV more but that's mostly because I really enjoy the lore behind Fallout, the game-play and the world surround it.

If on the other hand you actually enjoy the game, but are bored because you've done everythin' you've wanted to, (if you are on a pc) just download some mods. The exploding chicken one looks super entertaining!

I've gotten a fair amount of play from it, but I haven't done most side quests. What baffles me is that I suddenly found it boring after the main quest, as did my friend.

Torah Dreidelberg:

Lucem712:

I've gotten a fair amount of play from it, but I haven't done most side quests. What baffles me is that I suddenly found it boring after the main quest, as did my friend.

If I recall correctly after I finished my first playthough, I just started over because I didn't feel the effect of my actions in the world.

Lucem712:

Torah Dreidelberg:

Lucem712:

If I recall correctly after I finished my first playthough, I just started over because I didn't feel the effect of my actions in the world.

I feel like maybe the game lost it's urgency.

Torah Dreidelberg:

Lucem712:

Torah Dreidelberg:

I definitely feel that. You've basically saved the world, now what?

Lucem712:

Torah Dreidelberg:

Lucem712:

I definitely feel that. You've basically saved the world, now what?

It's like "I just saved the goddamn world and nothing has visibly changed, I'm not even treated differently."

Yeah, I had that problem. Kinda. I still played it for a while though. They made it seem like it was going to be this massive, epic world where your choices would matter, characters would be intriguing and the whole place would feel alive and 'real'. And then... well... it's not at all.

I still love the game, but I had to stop looking at it as a 'big epic spin your own tail fantasy adventure' to 'big giant playground with swords and magic and dragons', which works for me. I basically had to change my perspective, and it worked pretty well.

I actually felt Reckoning did a much better job of making you feel like what you did (at least in the main story) actually affected things.

Torah Dreidelberg:

It's like "I just saved the goddamn world and nothing has visibly changed, I'm not even treated differently."

Yes because killing a dragon in the realm of the dead were NO ONE but the dead could see you is supposed to make you famous?

Why the fuck would ANYONE believe you actually did anything when no one was around to see it?

I mean they should have changed it to where you fought Alduin on Nirn so people would know yes, but as it stood why did you even remotely expect anyone to know you did anything?

I got bored with Skyrim really fast. But then, I got bored of Fallout 3 really fast, kept at it through 10 hours of utter boredom and Fallout 3 is one of my favourite games. Unfortunately, Skyrim hasn't had the same progression - it's still boring as hell for me, and I've completed the main storyline.

Scrustle:
Maybe you just played too much at once and now you're all Skyimed out. It can happen. That's why I usually try to take a leisurely pace at my games.

I agree with you here. I never pushed the main questline until I'd had a decent amount of side quests completed, done some exploring and finished a few faction quests. That way I always felt that something big would be around the corner still, and when I kept going the game suddenly revealed a whole new story and places to explore. In the end, though, these sorts of games are only made fun by how you wish to spend the time, and if there's any sort of goal you want to achieve - like finally mastering archery.

Torah Dreidelberg:

This is probably the worst thing about open-ended RPGS with some big climatic quest. Once it's finished, nothing really changes, and there's no real sense of accomplishment. In Oblivion if you started a faction quest after completing the main storyline, the NPCs suddenly act as though they don't know you. The whole notoriety counter system never really worked. I hope in the future there will be a proper "finish" so to speak, where everyone acknowledges your hard work and being a legend.

Volan:
I hope in the future there will be a proper "finish" so to speak, where everyone acknowledges your hard work and being a legend.

There will, its called elder Scrolls 6 were they tell you how the doavhkiin turned into Talos.

Everyone is gonna forget you and confuse you with Talos. But hey you will be remembered, sort of, as Talos.

Kinda like how people remember The Champion of Cyrodil/Hero of Kavatch/Savior of Bruma yet no one remember his/hers name, race, gender, or face because he/she turned into sheogorath.

I still enjoy it every time I boot it up. Admittedly I have a stack of mods which improve the game by quite a bit. I played it for the majority of a week when I first got it and according to Steam another 80 hours since then, so what 150 hours or so. I definitely think its missing the elder scrolls magic, I have no idea what it is but it just seems to be absent. Overall I still think its a great game and my favourite for 2011. Definitely gonna be buying all the dlc/expansions for it like I have for its pre-predecessors.

Volan:

Scrustle:

I agree with you here. I never pushed the main questline until I'd had a decent amount of side quests completed, done some exploring and finished a few faction quests. That way I always felt that something big would be around the corner still, and when I kept going the game suddenly revealed a whole new story and places to explore. In the end, though, these sorts of games are only made fun by how you wish to spend the time, and if there's any sort of goal you want to achieve - like finally mastering archery.

Torah Dreidelberg:

This is probably the worst thing about open-ended RPGS with some big climatic quest. Once it's finished, nothing really changes, and there's no real sense of accomplishment. In Oblivion if you started a faction quest after completing the main storyline, the NPCs suddenly act as though they don't know you. The whole notoriety counter system never really worked. I hope in the future there will be a proper "finish" so to speak, where everyone acknowledges your hard work and being a legend.

I remember after finishing the main quest in morrowind everyone was like "holy fuck it's the Nerevarine!!" for their initial greeting and you got a big disposition boost with everyone.

I don't mind nobody remembering that I maintained the Union single handed (I haven't finished the actual main story line yet) Since if they did remember me they obviously wouldn't be throwing themselves at me in droves to be hacked apart, sniped, or have their throats slit. I'm still gathering up all the words of power, like some homicidal pokemon trainer. Also I like making eyes at my secret lover Brelyna behind Ysolda's back, even though I know that hot little Dunmer minx only has eyes for Tolfdir. I see the way he sits by her bedside, watching her sleep. Fuck, I really ought to practice more magic since I'm the fucking archmage and everything. x_x

conflictofinterests:
I don't mind nobody remembering that I maintained the Union single handed (I haven't finished the actual main story line yet) Since if they did remember me they obviously wouldn't be throwing themselves at me in droves to be hacked apart, sniped, or have their throats slit. I'm still gathering up all the words of power, like some homicidal pokemon trainer. Also I like making eyes at my secret lover Brelyna behind Ysolda's back, even though I know that hot little Dunmer minx only has eyes for Tolfdir. I see the way he sits by her bedside, watching her sleep. Fuck, I really ought to practice more magic since I'm the fucking archmage and everything. x_x

Tolfdir is creepy.

I wonder if Bethesda wanted him to be there or it was a ai package glitch that makes him wander around the rooms of the students instead of the teacher's room.

gotta love BUGthesda

Ya they roll on a similar note to Minecraft, if you can't find your own fun then you probably won't be in it for long.
I'm stuck about half way in on a similar issue, there are just so many fully fleshed games competing for my time it can't come out on top.

I can say even though i've enjoy the game and put more hours into it than you that it is sorta dissapointing compared to past games. the gameplay has been poslished very well but so much of the previous games has been removed. the main and side quests are laughably short compared to oblivion and morrowind (especially morrowind).

that being said again i had a lot of fun with it but yes it does seem to be missing some parts that made the series up to this point great.

I sold the game, for a decent chunk of change to GameStop actually.

I played for about 75 hours, beat every guild, fetched all the daedric items, beat the main story.

But once I had done that with one character, there was no real reason to do it all over again with another one. Every quest I did before was going to go the exact same way.

Also, a lot of things I like weren't around:

1) Decent magic. Make me feel like they have impact. Cause they don't.

2) Why can't I marry Vex? Seriously. I love Kari Wahlgren, I love her character, and would marry her on every character. But I can't. Why?

3) SERIOUSLY, WHY CAN'T I MARRY VEX?

4) Make melee feel more alive. Fluid animations, block awareness, etc

5) SERIOUSLY, VEX, WHY?!?!?!

I have the same problem. I logged over 1000 hours (yes, one thousand; don't say anything) on Oblivion and Morrowind, and adored both of them. I've already given my copy of Skyrim away now, because I just can't be bothered with it.

Oblivion, more so than Morrowind, Arena or DAggerfall, sucked me in and I just couldn't stop playing; but I didn not get the same feeling with Skyrim.

kman123:

I don't really find narrative a compelling reason to play or not to play a game, and will thus respectfully disagree.

It makes sense that you would recommend New Vegas though, since the people who didn't like Bethesda's storyline in Fallout 3 seemed to like New Vegas.

I'm more of a fan of open-world games than plot-driven games. But yeah you might be right on the money as to why OP doesn't like Skyrim.

I have to agree, there just are times when you play a little too much of the game that you eventually run out of interest juice to keep your going. I am not saying that is what happened on your side but that is a possibility.

And until you will be able to get some interest going, that will just be how you are going to look over things and games. Happens quite a lot of times even with really interesting games.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
I sold the game, for a decent chunk of change to GameStop actually.

I played for about 75 hours, beat every guild, fetched all the daedric items, beat the main story.

But once I had done that with one character, there was no real reason to do it all over again with another one. Every quest I did before was going to go the exact same way.

Also, a lot of things I like weren't around:

1) Decent magic. Make me feel like they have impact. Cause they don't.

2) Why can't I marry Vex? Seriously. I love Kari Wahlgren, I love her character, and would marry her on every character. But I can't. Why?

3) SERIOUSLY, WHY CAN'T I MARRY VEX?

4) Make melee feel more alive. Fluid animations, block awareness, etc

5) SERIOUSLY, VEX, WHY?!?!?!

haha, it's not like marriage is at all fulfilling in the game anyway. I mean, you can't even have kids.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked