Skyrim=Boring?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Mr Pantomime:

I meant "even if the spears are being made at Red Tower" as a hypothetical. Sorry about that, its quite easy to misinterpret.

And that link was a bunch of jargon and cryptic nonsense. Did the fall of Red Tower somehow tear the very idea of spears out of reality? I suppose that would be a great show of power, but again, unless this happened a few years before Skyrim, it still doesn't make sense.

It wasn't cryptic at all. It was pretty standard ES lore.

Anyways Red-Tower fell before Oblivion, the fall of Red-Tower was the entire plot of Morrowind.

The fall of Numidium was Daggerfall's plot
The fall of Red-Tower was Morrowind's plot
The fall of White-Gold was Oblivion's plot.
-Crystal tower also fell during Oblivion, as did Green-Sap
The fall of The Throat of the World was Skyrim's plot

Each of the main games, except the first, has been about the fall of one of the towers that support the world.

Alduin's early awakening was because they fell. It is the entire point of the whole series.

It has all been leading up to one event.... LANDFALL.

PrinceOfShapeir:
Get Mods, people. Tell me that the world is boring when you have Deadly Dragons, Duel, and Dovahkriid installed, and at level 25 a basic Dragon is a rough fight and anything tougher than that, you're in for the fight of your life. And if you go into the wrong place, you might run into a Draugr Demigod or a unique Dragon that can rip your shit apart if he gets one good shot of at you. The world becomes a lot more imposing.

Maybe if everyone played on PC. Mods would be a load of fun.

I'm playing it and I'm liking it. I certainly don't play it for the narrative. That's what all my JRPG's are for (Birth By Sleep, why are you so awesome?). I'm just having fun being an ice/conjuration mage and alchemist and I'm considering putting points into fire boost so my explosion spells are bigger. The bigger spells feel like they have a little more oompf than the beginning ones at least. Spellcasting in general feels more solid than in Oblivion. Swinging my Bound Sword and Elven Mace of Blaze still feels hollow though.

I know the feeling where mages are underpowered though. Not enough mana for more than 2 or 3 targets unless you have a bunch of Enchanted Armor of Fortify Destruction or chug mana potions.

Scrustle:
Maybe you just played too much at once and now you're all Skyimed out. It can happen. That's why I usually try to take a leisurely pace at my games.

I believe that happened to me.
I get bored of playing as one character and when I create a new one I get bored as I have to do all the tedious quests all over again. The main problem I have with all Elder Scrolls Games is there is no room for discussion. You go somewhere, you kill someone.

Not just boring, I find it borderline shit. It's so mind-bogglingly simple, shallow, unimaginative, repetitive, monotone and even on the story front, devoid of any good narrative, that I'd rather start cutting myself instead of playing through it again.

Playing Skyrim was one of those "maybe it gets better later on" deals. By the end, I was burned out completely.

Nantucket:

Scrustle:
Maybe you just played too much at once and now you're all Skyimed out. It can happen. That's why I usually try to take a leisurely pace at my games.

I believe that happened to me.
I get bored of playing as one character and when I create a new one I get bored as I have to do all the tedious quests all over again. The main problem I have with all Elder Scrolls Games is there is no room for discussion. You go somewhere, you kill someone.

That's not what I've found. I've done plenty of quests where I've had the option to talk to people instead of fighting, or even informing people that I was sent to kill them so that they can go and sort it out themselves with the person who sent me.

I got a couple of hours into the game, but got REALLY bored with it. The intro is lackluster, the combat clunky, even switching to third person camera barely helped. NPC's are static and will react to what's going on in the weirdest way possible.

Plus, the pile of bugs was just too much. I know that it's a big game, but please, some quality control is not too much to ask.

I know how you feel.

The main quests was one of the best gaming experiences of my life. Once i beat it i went through all the side quests, The companions, Theives Guild, all of them

At the 70th hour mark is where it got boring, and now i'm at 95 hours, i have the best armour and weapons that i've always wanted, and all i'm doing now is getting achievements and getting deadric artefacts. i want to feel the joy i got from doing the main quest again :(

I can't tell if I'm bored or if I'm fed up with all the bugs. Either way it's been a few months since I've touched Skyrim.

Skyrim wasn't terrible, it was just... average. I played fifty hours of it, got my money's worth, but now every time I try to continue on into the story, I just can't be bothered. I can barely play for a few seconds before an uncontrollable urge grips me to press Alt+F4 and play something I would enjoy more, like maybe Team Fortress 2 or Mass Effect 3. That being said it did give me fifty hours of decent entertainment, which is double what most games would give, and there's even more if you care for other things, which I don't.

Skyrim was good in a "I want to wander around killing stuff and contribute aimlessly to causes I don't care about" kind of way.

As a narrative, it's not really all that interesting.

I read a column by Shamus Young where he tears down the Thieves Guild storyline for making no goddamn sense, and puts into words what I had been feeling but couldn't quite put my finger on.

Et3rnalLegend64:

PrinceOfShapeir:
Get Mods, people. Tell me that the world is boring when you have Deadly Dragons, Duel, and Dovahkriid installed, and at level 25 a basic Dragon is a rough fight and anything tougher than that, you're in for the fight of your life. And if you go into the wrong place, you might run into a Draugr Demigod or a unique Dragon that can rip your shit apart if he gets one good shot of at you. The world becomes a lot more imposing.

I'm playing it and I'm liking it. I certainly don't play it for the narrative. That's what all my JRPG's are for (Birth By Sleep, why are you so awesome?). I'm just having fun being an ice/conjuration mage and alchemist and I'm considering putting points into fire boost so my explosion spells are bigger. The bigger spells feel like they have a little more oompf than the beginning ones at least. Spellcasting in general feels more solid than in Oblivion. Swinging my Bound Sword and Elven Mace of Blaze still feels hollow though.

I know the feeling where mages are underpowered though. Not enough mana for more than 2 or 3 targets unless you have a bunch of Enchanted Armor of Fortify Destruction or chug mana potions.

I almost pity you.

Almost.

What the hell were you expecting, really?

you need to bring something to a game like skyrim to make it work for you.

like morrowind and oblivion before it if you don't get immersed in games like that and fill some blanks the game leaves, add you own quests (becoming powerfull with some guild or faction, owning property, decorating your house with artifacts, collecting every apple in the game) the things generally don't mean match what the game is concerned. They don't offer much reward aside from the initial one or none at all.

but once I was grandmaster of house redoran and the fightersguild I was strutting round Ald'ruhn like I owned the place in my pimped out artifact gear, imagining everyone looking up to me.
I blinged out my stronghold in Ald sota with all the rare books and items I could find, as well as stocking my armory with armors I didn't technically need.

If you don't bring your own game to the world of the elder scrolls, and expect the game to hold your hand, you will get bored easy. Because it's open character creation and freedom to do the quest in whatever order, don't allow for much interesting story telling. And the Combat tends to be pretty grindy.

you are responsible for the epic in the epic journey, skyrim just plots a path. If thats not your cup of tea there is plenty of other games you can probably get much more enjoyment out of (no elitism intended what so ever)

Kermi:
I read a column by Shamus Young where he tears down the Thieves Guild storyline for making no goddamn sense, and puts into words what I had been feeling but couldn't quite put my finger on.

Wait how did it not make sense?

Finally, someone who agrees with me that Skyrim was a boring piece of crap!

SajuukKhar:

Kermi:

Wait how did it not make sense?

Have a read. There's inconsistencies and "but thou must" plot railroading that put the ending of Mass Effect 3 to shame.

It's a lot of little things which I noticed, but never really bothered connecting into one clusterloving whole.

My intention is, get to the highest level and then KILL EVERYTHING EVER!

PrinceOfShapeir:

Et3rnalLegend64:

PrinceOfShapeir:

I almost pity you.

Almost.

What the hell were you expecting, really?

I realize that Oblivion has a really extensive modding community. I realized that Skyrim would probably have the same. I am sad to say that my computer is junk and I'm not able to replace it any time soon. Also, my brother picked up Skyrim himself. I was putting it off until I could cut down my RPG backlog that he built up and is still adding to.

Edit: And I hope you were talking about the mods. I didn't have any expectations for my mage, I think. I just take mage whenever I can, for better or worse.

Edit 2: On topic. I think OP is partially going through the same thing I had for Oblivion. After so many hours in, I kinda got tired of it all. Part of the reason might have been the damn empty level ups where the enemy would quickly become stronger than me if I didn't level perfectly. They definitely became stronger than any NPC's I had to protect. Everything just felt hollow after a while and you just wander aimlessly helping the next person on your quest list.

Kermi:

Have a read. There's inconsistencies and "but thou must" plot railroading that put the ending of Mass Effect 3 to shame.

It's a lot of little things which I noticed, but never really bothered connecting into one clusterloving whole.

In a series were the entire universe is the dream of a schizophrenic god-head, and were all other guilds plot-lines throughout the games have been equally contrived and full of plot-holes, he picks THIS ONE to rag on.

I mean I could seriously point out how Morrowind mages guilds entire plot was "find out the mystery of the dwemer" and at the end you dont, and they still make you guild master for not.

SajuukKhar:

Mr Pantomime:

I meant "even if the spears are being made at Red Tower" as a hypothetical. Sorry about that, its quite easy to misinterpret.

And that link was a bunch of jargon and cryptic nonsense. Did the fall of Red Tower somehow tear the very idea of spears out of reality? I suppose that would be a great show of power, but again, unless this happened a few years before Skyrim, it still doesn't make sense.

It wasn't cryptic at all. It was pretty standard ES lore.

Anyways Red-Tower fell before Oblivion, the fall of Red-Tower was the entire plot of Morrowind.

The fall of Numidium was Daggerfall's plot
The fall of Red-Tower was Morrowind's plot
The fall of White-Gold was Oblivion's plot.
-Crystal tower also fell during Oblivion, as did Green-Sap
The fall of The Throat of the World was Skyrim's plot

Each of the main games, except the first, has been about the fall of one of the towers that support the world.

Alduin's early awakening was because they fell. It is the entire point of the whole series.

It has all been leading up to one event.... LANDFALL.

Then I will make my way through those games. The story at least. Im not a big ES fan, but if a game suddenly says that spears no longer exist, thats either crappy and illogical writing or insanely brilliant writing.

Ah,I can relate to this.Skyrim's shallowness shows itself after some time of playing.It grabbed me the first dozens of hours but after I got the best loots and most of my faction quests done it's just plain boring.Oh look,a dungeon to clean out with nothing of interest in it.
Hmmm,perhaps analyzing and dissecting it might be a more interesting task.

I suppose I can understand your concern, but the fact of the matter is, the game's modularity allows for far more entertainment than I've had with many other games of late, allowing for a more personalized gaming experience. And we haven't even come to the first expansion yet.

When I finally got around to beating the game, without the use of many mods, I still had myself a blast. Then I downloaded some mods, started over again with new perks and spells available, and am now having the time of my life. Smarter, STRONGER dragons that shoot you with lightning? More spells? Enhanced combat mechanics? Even more meaningful and unique perks? Yes, please.

This unfortunately will not do console players any good, and I still had a heck of a good time with the base game, but games are a pretty subjective matter, so if you don't like something, no biggie.

But I will not be able to forgive Bethesda completely until they put spears back into the Elder Scrolls.

Edit: And many people are making a concerted effort to add even more dungeons, locations and quests to the world, and many of them have been rather fun, and I expect even better as the years go by.

Torah Dreidelberg:

kman123:
The problem seems to be that Skyrim is just...well...shit?

Barely any quests are of interest. Christ, 90% of them are horrible. Main quest is shit, mage guild is horrible, Dark Brotherhood is alright.

Skyrim lacks decent narrative to keep playing. I recommend going to New Vegas.

I wish I could, played and beat it a long time ago.

The kind of game Skyrim is exists all throughout gaming history.

The Infinity Engine games (Badlur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale) are all on a collection pack, you should have a look for that, as they are classics and always make the "Best games of all time" lists.

For MMO's, the only games that have a focus on story are WoW expansions starting at Lich King, Star Wars The Old Republic, and to a lesser extent Rift. Again, these are all excellent games.

Lastly, there's Kingdom of Amaleur, Dungeons Siege, and The Witcher 1 and 2.

And all these games are better than Skyrim.

Mr Pantomime:
Then I will make my way through those games. The story at least. Im not a big ES fan, but if a game suddenly says that spears no longer exist, thats either crappy and illogical writing or insanely brilliant writing.

Vivec, one of the god-kings in Morrowind, is a magical hermaphrodite that exists in multiple parallel universes at the same time, and wrote a magical bible detailing his life, even the parts were he had sex with his sister, who is also his mother, and himself, and how he used his "johnson" as a spear to kill demons, and he wrote all of this being it was apparently important in finding out the secret of CHIM, a state of being above god-hood were one realizes he is a fictional character in a video game yet still has the audacity to claim he exists.
Ohh yeah you know how time pauses when you open up the menu? Apparently opening the menu and the universe pausing is something that actually happens in lore.

Loading up save games is also part of the lore.

The construction kit? also lore, it is CHIM.

Talos? he is Really Lorkhan
Lorkhan? he is also Akatosh
Sithis? is Lorkhan's father in the same way god is jesus's father, i.e. they are the same person

Talos, Sithis, Lorkhan, and Akatosh are all the same person.

You have to be in the right frame of mind for Skyrim, you won't enjoy it if you don't have a real interest in its paradigm.

I play Skyrim because I like exploring, I didn't particularly enjoy the main quest and I actively avoid the NPCs.

SajuukKhar:

Mr Pantomime:

Vivec, one of the god-kings in Morrowind, is a magical hermaphrodite that exists in multiple parallel universes at the same time, and wrote a magical bible detailing his life, even the parts were he had sex with his sister, who is also his mother, and himself, and how he used his "johnson" as a spear to kill demons, and he wrote all of this being it was apparently important in finding out the secret of CHIM, a state of being above god-hood were one realizes he is a fictional character in a video game yet still has the audacity to claim he exists.
Ohh yeah you know how time pauses when you open up the menu? Apparently opening the menu and the universe pausing is something that actually happens in lore.

Loading up save games is also part of the lore.

The construction kit? also lore, it is CHIM.

Talos? he is Really Lorkhan
Lorkhan? he is also Akatosh
Sithis? is Lorkhan's father in the same way god is jesus's father, i.e. they are the same person

Talos, Sithis, Lorkhan, and Akatosh are all the same person.

Ok, that was insane and fucking awesome. Im pretty much sold.

Mr Pantomime:
Ok, that was insane and fucking awesome. Im pretty much sold.

http://www.imperial-library.info/content/michael-kirkbrides-texts
There's a list of almost all the works by Michael Kirkbride. He left Bethesda over a decade ago and yet they still contractually hire him to write lore for their series.

I will warn you MK writes in a style that can only be described as madness, his works can be nearly incompressible, and at other times be so seemingly clear you end up missing the real point.

http://www.imperial-library.info/content/forum-archives-michael-kirkbride
Here is some snippests of posts he has made on the forums detailing other thing.

Did you know the divine crusader who you meet in the knights of the nine DLC was a time traveler?
Did you know the Redguard SPLIT ATOMS with swords?

I'm just hoping Bethesda have done anything about the linear dungeons and crap quest by the time Fallout 4 rolls around. I enjoyed Skyrim for a time but for me Fallout 3 and New Vegas are much more my cup of tea, and I can't wait to see a wasteland in the new engine.

SomeBritishDude:
I'm just hoping Bethesda have done anything about the linear dungeons and crap quest by the time Fallout 4 rolls around. I enjoyed Skyrim for a time but for me Fallout 3 and New Vegas are much more my cup of tea, and I can't wait to see a wasteland in the new engine.

Uhh Obsidian is doing wasteland not Bethesda, and Obsidian doesn't have the rights to use Bethesda's creation engine.

Also Obsidian made New Vegas, not Bethesda.

Why can seemingly no one understand that Bethesda =/= Obsidian?

I was bored of Skyrim after the first few hours. Beat it in two days. The only thing I can remember from the game is the color "generic dragon grey".

Skyrim just isn't very well made. They just through all their ideas into a pile and left it at that. Most of the dungeons are the same. The quests aren't worth doing. Exploration gets you nowhere. The npcs are like robots; they seemingly have no interest in what they're saying. The combat is awful. I could go on, but you get the point.
I looked forward to exploring in Skyrim, but I just found the same stuff copy and pasted all over the map. Some different environments would've been nice, other than just snowy mountains and forests.

Squidbulb:
Skyrim just isn't very well made. They just through all their ideas into a pile and left it at that. Most of the dungeons are the same. The quests aren't worth doing. Exploration gets you nowhere. The npcs are like robots; they seemingly have no interest in what they're saying. The combat is awful. I could go on, but you get the point.
I looked forward to exploring in Skyrim, but I just found the same stuff copy and pasted all over the map. Some different environments would've been nice, other than just snowy mountains and forests.

Because that giant swamp, and grassy plains with little trees in it didn't exist?

I am still playing it and enjoying it. I understand the frustration with the 2D characterisation and development but, hey, it's a pretty impressive feat to get it working at all. It's fun just messing about. The engine is lovely with a few (about 6GBs worth) of mod tweaks. Have avoided main quest mostly, done just enought to get some shouts, and will do that at the end. Hurrah!

I think I preferred Fallout 3 overall, slow motion headshots, but it's fun.

It really just depends what you want out of the game. If you want a hiking simulator then its probably pretty dam amazing. If you want anything other then that such as a narrative, engaging characters, a none hollow world, combat, etc then why the hell are you playing skyrim?

half done eh. Ya that pretty much explains skyrim. They spent all their time creating the world but forgot to fill it.

I had fun until I beat the main questline which was why I put if off for as long as I could. i enjoyed Oblivion more but I wasn't as good at gaming back then.

SajuukKhar:

SomeBritishDude:

Uhh Obsidian is doing wasteland not Bethesda, and Obsidian doesn't have the rights to use Bethesda's creation engine.

Also Obsidian made New Vegas, not Bethesda.

Why can seemingly no one understand that Bethesda =/= Obsidian?

Haha I mean the environment in the next fallout will be a wasteland. I get that Obsidian is a different company, that's why New Vegas wasn't a bastardisation of the fallout world like Fallout 3.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked