SkullGirls anyone?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

(Haven't seen any threads on this since December... So I thought I'd be the first to re-bring it up. Hopefully)

I've been looking forward to this game for awhile. The aesthetics and character roster look really boss. It's apparently going to be good for... 'competitive' players as well as timid newcomers to the fighting genre. http://skullgirls.com/game/overview/

Skullgirls is a fast-paced, 2D fighting game developed by Reverge Labs and lead by tournament champ Mike "Mike Z" Zaimont and artist Alex "o_8" Ahad.

Drawing on the best features the genre has to offer, Skullgirls is designed to be a tournament-grade fighter while remaining approachable and engaging for the casual player.

It's due for release on PSN April 10th (tomorrow) and for XBLA April 11th.

So yeah, those are my brief thoughts on the game...

(hope this doesn't get burried by the endless Mass Effect 3 topics... >>) Edit: Dates fixed.

Edit 2: I didn't think this thread would be so active. Anyway, after a lot of playing, I have to say I'm happy with the game. Haven't touched the story mode yet. Still trying to beat Arcade mode on a harder difficulty. Filia has been my favorite so far.

Peacock is sooo annoying to fight... Grrrrrr...

It does look quite good and the artwork is amazing. The whole 'tournament-grade' thing is interesting though. I wonder if it'll be at EVO?

Hazy992:
It does look quite good and the artwork is amazing. The whole 'tournament-grade' thing is interesting though. I wonder if it'll be at EVO?

I'm sure it's creator would be very satisfied to see it there. I find my self surprisingly optimistic about this game for some odd reason.

It is getting decent reviews, I am psyched for it. When I get home from class I plan on downloading it

Still waiting for the European release date..

I'd probably grab it if it had a PC release.

Smertnik:
Still waiting for the European release date..

It's coming soon I believe. According to this.

It launches on the European PSN "in the coming weeks". It costs $14.99 or 1200 Microsoft Points.

A bit vague I know =P.

I can't believe it's not getting a PC port.

I'm either gonna wait and see if it gets one of those or get it on PSN a few months down the line.

Probably one of the more interesting looking fighters of the year for me, sadly my friend I play fighters with left for texas for three months, so I won't need to buy it till after the summer.

Still i'll get it at some point. I love the art style.

I certainly hoping it will get good reviews and praises. I feel that alot of efforts and polish had been put into that game (each characters are unquie and interesting in their own way) unlike some other games with zero efforts in it.

Abandon4093:

I'm either gonna wait and see if it gets one of those or get it on PSN a few months down the line.

Fighting games rarely do. The only current games I can think of are Street Fighter and (I think) Blazblue. Oh and SFxT in May.

8 characters are launch along with 'Paid DLC'. Lots and lots of paid dlc to add characters.

So you either play alone with your crappy roster, or you pay no doubt a ton of cash just to play with other people on an even level.

I really do miss the days when you bought a game and actually got all the fuckin' content, instead of getting half a game and having to pay extra for the rest.

was looking forward to it but not so much anymore I have to much to play and so little time im still playing SC5 UMVC3 and KOFXIII and im really really looking forward to Persona 4 ultimate in mayonaka arena and Dead or Alive 5 I also want to get Mortal kombat (not a fan of the series but every so often I give it another go) and Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend (love Blazblue so so much its just I am so so bad at it).

I have also been watching a lot of Street Fighter vids so may get Arcade edition if I can find it dirt cheap anywhere basically I like my fighters a lot, but with a few exceptions I am really bad at them no doubt I will end up picking up SkullGirls sometime but it will probably be at least ten pounds and I can pick up SF IV arcade edition or Blazblue Extend for about that which I would prefer.

Is there going to be a lot of DLC fighters though? because I really dont like that one or two I can stomach but more than that and it sort of annoys me especially if the starting roster is tiny.

Hazy992:

Abandon4093:

Fighting games rarely do. The only current games I can think of are Street Fighter and (I think) Blazblue. Oh and SFxT in May.

I know and it sucks, but you'd have thought that a relatively underdog game like this would welcome as many platforms as it could. They're not even releasing it on the Vita as far as I know, and 2D fighters are perfect for a handheld.

Appleshampoo:
8 characters are launch along with 'Paid DLC'. Lots and lots of paid dlc to add characters.

So you either play alone with your crappy roster, or you pay no doubt a ton of cash just to play with other people on an even level.

I really do miss the days when you bought a game and actually got all the fuckin' content, instead of getting half a game and having to pay extra for the rest.

Well, you could be right. I would be pretty unhappy if I had to pay "a ton" of cash just have fair fights. However, just because someone downloads an extra character or two... how exactly does that make the fight uneven? (I'm honestly curious...)

I don't think they are holding content back on us... (I could be wrong.) I think they just don't have the content yet. And, if all I have to do is fork over a few extra bucks down the line for a new addition to the game or two... I'd be fine with that.

I believe the 15$ I'm paying for the game... is worth what I'll get. That's the reason I plan on buying it.

Abandon4093:

Hazy992:

Abandon4093:

I know and it sucks, but you'd have thought that a relatively underdog game like this would welcome as many platforms as it could. They're not even releasing it on the Vita as far as I know, and 2D fighters are perfect for a handheld.

I mean they might release it on PC and Vita if there's enough demand for it (there's a demand for Street Fighter because of the modding community). They're probably just testing the waters with the consoles first as there's more demand on them.

I guess if they were aiming for EVO, they would have released it sooner.

But then i gather EVO organisers dont like games that are rushed.

Anyway it seems theyve made it to local tournaments at least.

As for my actual opinion on the game, ill buy it if it ever looks like im getting bored with UMvC3.

Appleshampoo:

I see no indication that the game is even getting DLC. This is an inde title by two guys, not something funded and dictated by the likes of EA.

That is a really small cast. Just eight characters?
I don't feel like paying fifteen bucks for such a small roster, sorry.

I'm looking forward to it which is funny cuz I don't tend to like fighting games in general.

Definitely been a fan of the style and whatnot and the fact that 8 characters are considered a small roster feels a bit sad. They have plenty of colour changes and each character is supposed to be very unique to play and use.

They've said they may do dlc if they can come up with more characters but their main focus has been to make it tournament stuff.

Ditto on the dumping on the game it's a handful of folks in their basement kinda feel not a big-budget blockbuster.

Appleshampoo:

You mean like Street Fighter II, which launched with 8 Characters? Or Mortal Kombat, with 7?

This game looks amazing, and I'm totally grabbing it when I get paid this Friday.

Hazy992:

Abandon4093:

Hazy992:

I mean they might release it on PC and Vita if there's enough demand for it (there's a demand for Street Fighter because of the modding community). They're probably just testing the waters with the consoles first as there's more demand on them.

Theyve announced the game is being ported to the Neo Geo Pocket Colour in early 2013 as Skullgals.

No, i dont know what a Neo Geo Pocket Colour is nor why they didnt just port it to PS Vita and 3DS.

gigastar:

Theyve announced the game is being ported to the Neo Geo Pocket Colour in early 2013 as Skullgals.

No, i dont know what a Neo Geo Pocket Colour is nor why they didnt just port it to PS Vita and 3DS.

Really? That's awesome!

*sings* Neo Geo Neo Geo! Four bright buttons and 2 joysticks! *sings*

gigastar:

Hazy992:

Abandon4093:

Wait what? The handheld from like ten years ago?

*goes to google*

That was announced on April 1st so I'm guessing it's an April Fools joke.

Hell to the yeah. I've been excited for this one for a while now. I remember first hearing about it way back when they told us it would be released Winter 2011. Ha ha ha...ah...that didn't work.

But yeah, I'm excited for it. I'm actually on my way to the store later tonight to pick up a card for some MS Points.

2012 has really been the Year of the Fighter for me. Skullgirls, Soul Calibur V, Persona 4: Arena. I know that's only 3 games, but when you only buy about 8 games a year, it's a pretty big percentage.

Hey, I have a question. I know this game is gonna be on the PSN, does anyone know if it's PS3 exclusive or is it one of those games where if you buy it on PSN you can play it on the PSP/Vita?

Hazy992:

gigastar:

Wait what? The handheld from like ten years ago?

*goes to google*

That was announced on April 1st so I'm guessing it's an April Fools joke.

Unfortunately it doesnt seem so, theyve also annoucned 2 new characters for the port. Keep reading on.

They also mention a special cartridge that will allow for online play.

kyosai7:

gigastar:

Really? That's awesome!

*sings* Neo Geo Neo Geo! Four bright buttons and 2 joysticks! *sings*

Dont start singing, since i posted that i noticed the announcement article also had some preview images, and a picture of the handheld itself.

Strain42:
Hey, I have a question. I know this game is gonna be on the PSN, does anyone know if it's PS3 exclusive or is it one of those games where if you buy it on PSN you can play it on the PSP/Vita?

I see no indication that its going to work on PSV too. It might, but it doesnt mention it on the site.

gigastar:

Strain42:

I see no indication that its going to work on PSV too. It might, but it doesnt mention it on the site.

Alright, thanks. I'll stick with the 360 version then. I dunno why, but this one just feels more like a 360 game to me.

I have it and i am having fun with it. I actually like that it does not hold your hand It lets you figure combos and character nuances out on your own.

I played the demo. Did not like it. It's very broken even on easy mode. And it was supposed to bring in newcomers?

I can't get it yet. This connection is ass and my 360 can't connect to it anyway. I won't be able to cop it until I get back to my own place... at the end of fucking June.

I would if I owned an Xbox or a PS3, but all I have is a PC. Pity. Looks like a hell of a lot of fun, and I'm a sucker for a creative cast of characters.

I really want to play as Peacock. I really want to give somebody an old timey Steam Boat Willy beatdown.

Looks like a Westernized version of "Arcana Heart".

I'll probably pass until there's a sale.

Demo was meh. Not very fluid. Characters handled like they were carrying 50 lb weights. A pity, but that's a no purchase for me.

I await Persona 4 Ultimate Mayonaka Arena (from the creators of Guilty Gear).

Might consider Arcana Heart 3 as far as downloadable fighting games...

RaikuFA:
I played the demo. Did not like it. It's very broken even on easy mode. And it was supposed to bring in newcomers?

Agreed.

RaikuFA:

I'm sorry to hear that it doesn't hold up in the... "being approachable to newcomers" department. I hope I'm better at fighting games than I think...

Shawn MacDonald:
I really want to play as Peacock. I really want to give somebody an old timey Steam Boat Willy beatdown.

I have a feeling she's going to be a popular character. All of my friends seem to want to play as her. I completely understand why too... that line she says... "let's paint the town red" oh... the implications...

I'm looking forward to

I've always liked the idea of parasitic demon hair...

EDIT: Picture issue fixed... >>

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked