Multiplayer : do you hold back ?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

So easy question . In online multiplayer , do you hold back when playing against people less skilled than you? Or do you go all out all the time?

I recently realized that i do hold back if i assume that my opponent(s) are less skilled that me . I take the battle less seriously and relax a lot more than if i am playing someone equally or more skilled . Sometimes i do give them free shots or punish them less for their mistakes all the while not trying to purposely lose . It has bit me in the ass sometimes where i lost when i shouldn't have . But it's a natural reaction i find i have . When i realized this though i feel bad for not taking them seriously , it's almost like a slap in the face and dishonorable. But i also don't want to purposely make a new player quit because i was spanking them too hard .

I don't play online mp shooters or stuff like that, but I used to do that when I played sports games vs ppl I was better than. It's no fun blowing ppl out, on their or your end. And I play to have fun, not win at all costs, like alot of ppl seem to do. I guess that's one of the reasons I'm not really into competitive gaming.

Depends on the people and circumstances. If it's against a friend, I will. Also, if the teams are really lopsided, I'll generally just do pistol only or otherwise gimp myself. Past those? Nope, you're all gonna die tbh.

No, then again I'm never really that good. I got good at Reach for a while, but I had to play for quite a bit and I didn't like throwing away my time and energy on something that didn't give me much in return except for personal bragging rights... which are useless in my view.

Depends on the game. Any game that is not a sports game, I will not hold back (unless it's someone I know in real life of course). Most games are not time-based so holding back is only prolonging the suffering.

FIFA (soccer): I'll go up by 3 and then take it back a notch. As stated by Anthraxus, it's no fun to just blow them out in sports. However, what I do may just be worse...

When you're down 3, most players will push their line up, giving easy through balls that turn into breakaways. I will generally take the breakaway, do the quick-pass to a friendly when the goalie comes out, and then walk it to the goal, turning just at the last second (so I don't actually score but I sure as hell make sure they know I could have :)

One condition though: They don't slide tackle my players. If they start slide tackling my guys and making dangerous plays, I will make that score look like we're playing football (the American version that is). Not only will I not hold back, I will push MY line forward and really grind your nose into the dirt, maybe make you eat a piece or two in order to humor me...

Yeah, I rarely give everything I've got in a game. I mostly play multi player for fun anyway and I find that really laying into your opponents isn't really that fun. I did do competitive play for a while and of course I was giving everything at that but I was playing against people who were experienced and expected and gave me the exact same treatment. If I find I'm playing against a really new player then while I still try to win I usually slow it down a bit. So instead of winning by 50+ points i would tone it down to around 10. enough to show that I was the dominant player but not so much that they will be overly discouraged.

I will on occasion, but I find that very quickly leads to the game just not being fun to play for either me or the person I'm playing against. I'm not enjoying myself because I'm not really testing what I can do and my opponent just feels patronized by me because they know I'm better than what I'm showing. If I'm going to be playing with someone I know I'm much better than, I'll just pick a different game to play where the skill level is more even or one where the play is cooperative instead of competitive.

krazykidd:
So easy question . In online multiplayer , do you hold back when playing against people less skilled than you? Or do you go all out all the time?

I recently realized that i do hold back if i assume that my opponent(s) are less skilled that me . I take the battle less seriously and relax a lot more than if i am playing someone equally or more skilled . Sometimes i do give them free shots or punish them less for their mistakes all the while not trying to purposely lose . It has bit me in the ass sometimes where i lost when i shouldn't have . But it's a natural reaction i find i have . When i realized this though i feel bad for not taking them seriously , it's almost like a slap in the face and dishonorable. But i also don't want to purposely make a new player quit because i was spanking them too hard .

Ah see the reason I quit playing fighting games online is because of people who would just own me within 10 seconds. I like fighters but I'm not very good at them, and it seems like any other online game you get a wide range of skilled people. But when it comes to fighters, it feels like only people who can play well go online. It's nice to see that you at least take into account someone's skill level. I'm not looking for a free win, but getting killed off before I can even land a hit is aggravating.

Not really, when I get behind a minigun in TF2 I can't help but do really well. I usually find another person racking up a ton of points on my own team drives me to better more than the other team doing well. Though that's because I'm a bit spoiled and dislike not being MVP and hate not being in the top 3.

Never. I'm always the less skilled player, at least. Everyone online is always miles better than I am, so there's no real reason to hold back. I always get killed in the end regardless of my efforts. :P

I used to play a lot of multiplayer games from swayback and would always have to play against people who were less skilled than me. I mean, it would be obvious for you to think that there should be some level of handicap you should give them, but that is just not the case if you ask me.

You are going competitive with it and that is how you are supposed to keep it moving. I don't see why you should hold back in their favor.

krazykidd:

Kudos to you. It's always nice to give new players a fighting chance. The last thing a multiplayer game needs is to have it's future in jeopardy because the some veterans are beating up on the new players.

Well it hasto be an ongoing game before I can judge at what level the others play and then I'll surely adjust, the point for me is to keep the game going with everyone not just me sitting at the top.

Usually I'll just limit myself to weaker equipment so I can still go all out but not that effectively.
I remember LAN parties where I would just roll as an Impact Hammer ninja through all UT matches, it was crazy fun.

depends on the game honestly and the overall "tone" of the match.

if i notice someone is getting smashed to bits with me using a specific build/class, i'll generally switch so it becomes more even, or if i'm playing against friends/brothers and i KNOW that i'm about to smash on them, i'll usually tone it down either through use of weaker weapons/characters, or by just trying to change up my strategy in a more "creative" way.

try to crush the person with a strategy they have not thought of. Have to make some people think outside the box or else they will just spam the same boring tactics over and over again. Eventually they have to figure out a new strategy, or else they will just run to the most overpowered weapon again and again like some fucktard.

I rarely if ever play online games, but that is more-or-less what I do in person. Oftentimes, it even lets me use certain playstyles that are awesome-looking, but impractical to use against more skilled opponents.

Of course, if I start getting trash-talked, I show no mercy.

I usually give everything I have in any online competitive game. In fighting games, however, I have been known to not choose my best fighter if the player is low-ranked, though that's more to give myself a chance to have a bit of extra fun with a less-frequently-chosen character.

I take both wins and losses in stride, though, and tend to troll people who whine about the game or go too far with their trash-talking. To me, it's a game, and no one should take it too seriously. If I judge someone IS taking it too seriously, I like knocking them down a couple pegs.

TorqueConverter:

krazykidd:

Kudos to you. It's always nice to give new players a fighting chance. The last thing a multiplayer game needs is to have it's future in jeopardy because the some veterans are beating up on the new players.

Yeah, it is hard on new players, especially when they join in late to the party . I remember when i first started playing UMVC3 online( having not played MVC3) , i used to get steamrolled by everyone it is frustrating. But on the flip side , it is patronizing when you realise when your opponent isn't taking you seriously . That's why i'm a little conflicted about doing that .

I guess it all depends on the individual , and there's no way for me to know that .

Objects in the mirror are losing.

My friends came to learn, and respect, that if you play against me, you will have to show your best. Im not pulling punches, Im not holding back, I don't give happy endings.

After all, it is an insult your opponent to show less then your very best.

I don't hold back but I don't resort to tactics that make the game less fun for everyone. Like spawn camping or using blatantly overpowered things.

Never, although I tend to ignore small fry in favour of the nastiest of the enemy team. I play TF2 and will often do my best to simply sneak around or plough through the other team just to get that spy/sniper/engineer who keeps taking my whole team out. Sometimes I'll even send them congratulatory messages if they pull off a beautiful headshot but I will hunt them down to my last breath before giving them an opportunity for another cheap kill.

TL;DR I tend to somewhat ignore weak players in favour of the stronger.

If I end up fighting someone who is clearly less skilled than me, then yeah, I'll hold back slightly... but only to toy with them before unleashing absolute carnage on them when they least expect it. Yeah, I'm a dick.

EDIT; As an example, when playing AVP with a friend once, we were both Predators and we were kicking so much ass that we decided to just chill out and do nothing for a minute on top of some pillars high up in the middle of the map. The marines and alliens were all running around down below trying to kill each other and it was just fun to sit and watch. Then my friend says to me over hte mic, "So, you wanna kill that marine down there?" I reply, "nah, you can have him." He fires a casual caster shot and vaporises the guy. Me; "Nice shot," Him; "thanks!"

Was pretty funny. Then I decided to pull out the spear and go for long range precision kills whilst he watched. All this time nobody could figure out where we were or tried to stop us.

We won by miles.

In UMvC3, when I come across an inexperienced player, I'll play defensively, get a picture of whether they're actually trying or just button bashing.

If they seem like they're actually trying, I'll give them some time, see if they have any tricks ups their sleeve, but I won't underestimate them, if I feel like they may be a hidden threat, I'll end them :D

If they're a button masher, I'll just take the piss for a bit before I end them.

Stuff like using Vergil's Summoned Swords, then using the Sword Storm (when the swords float above their head) and just teleport spam :D

Nah, I don't hold back. I'd be insulted if I found out my opponents weren't throwing all they had at me, so I don't do any less. If I find myself at the top of the lobby leaderboard more than twice in a row however, I back out of the lobby to find different opponents. I've been in a few lobbies where a player of markedly higher skill was dominating game after game after game and it kinda ruins it for the rest of the lobby, so on the rare occasions when I find myself on a winstreak I don't stick around.

I never hold back. Pushing myself to get better and get better scores/stats is fun to me. I know I might be ruining someone else's fun, but I see no reason why I should ruin my own. Why would I even play then? I play MP for the challenge, that's what I find fun about it.

I don't hold back but I do have the tendency to try new things and experiment with different setups instead of always going for the sure fire winner.

The only game I play online is Mount & Blade: Warband, and I'm usually somewhere in the middle of the scores, so I don't have to hold back. And it's a nice change from getting my ass kicked to kicking ass when I end up against someone weaker than me.

For some reason I did really well in the Duke Nukem Forever multiplayer, when I played that for some time after the release. Maybe it was because of how old fashioned that game was or something. It was so new to me to consistently win matches and be on the top of the kill-list that I never even thought about holding back.

I also remember doing pretty well in Aliens versus Predator 2 (I wonder if people still play that, it would be fun to play in again some time), but never well enough that I felt like I was winning unfairly.

Besides, winning because someone let you isn't really winning at all.

I most likely do, even against players who are better then me (depending on the genre). Often randomly try to do something a bit more creative(let's say for TF2), or at least flashy (for fighting games). However, even more for fighting games, that never goes well (that will teach me to use characters with low health pool) oh I got hit, aaaand he/she's comboing, might as well put the controller down. Why must the game always make me face people ranked wayyyyy higher then me, stupid borked search criteria.

edit: though there was that higher rank player recently who didn't seem to care as well, fun times messing around.

In LAN matches with friends I would always hold back, because they were never as big into games as I was, so I'd pick the rubbish guns and work on getting good at them, it actually really helps your aim and tactics when your using a crappy one shot bolt action with no scope and everyone else has machineguns, you learn how to keep hidden, aim fast, aim well, and take them down before they notice you.

In online multiplayer I can't really hold back as much because you don't know who is skilled or unskilled, but if a team is getting thrashed I usually withdraw and just dick about. It's loads of fun rallying around Battlefield maps in the crappy beachbuggies as everyone tries to snipe you.

I always try to win, but not in a cheap way or a way that seems cheap, but rather spectacular and/or skillful, but mostly spectacular.
always end things with a bang!

I normally start to mess around. I'll bounce throwing knives in MW3, or try to get kills by shooting them a few times with a pistol and hitting them in the head with a smoke grenade.

I don't expect people to go easy on me when I'm not doing good. Why should they compromise their fun for mine? I get absolutely rolled in The King of Fighters XIII(3-18 at this point). But I'll never figure anything out if they don't tear me down.

Nope, even against friends I will still play as I normally do. Losing pisses off my one friend, but he won't get better if I handicap myself since I'm usually not really that good to begin with when compared to other players (Except when I play Halo. I will rock your shit in Halo ^_^).

JaceArveduin:
Depends on the people and circumstances. If it's against a friend, I will. Also, if the teams are really lopsided, I'll generally just do pistol only or otherwise gimp myself. Past those? Nope, you're all gonna die tbh.

This^

If the game is a blow out, Be it Halo or COD or TF2 I will Drive a Mongoose/Pistol Only/Medic Rush to make it fun. However if the other team trash talks in the lobby there will be no goofing around.

i always tend to hold back just eough to get a challenge out of my opponent, online and off, which is a pain when you get people who will go for the most horrendously OP'd characters, upgrades etc. and im there holding back to get a kick out of the match and im forced into a position where i cant move (see ninja storm 2 "tactics" for examples)

I dont ever play really seriously, im prone to "mistakes" just as the next guy, i still die, i still get called hacker or whatever by the opposing team because im still usually steamrolling half of them because they screw up or i get lucky.

Course i can also play seriously, but the only result is that i die less and they die far more often. The endresult doesnt exactly change though, people still scream and bitch about it.

I just play, casually, for fun, i only ever get serious if the opposition is starting to piss me off and thats all there is to it.

Doesnt mean i pull punches, i dont give People chances, if i see you, i will try to kill you, if you see me first, i wont cry about it, i'll just pay you back. Its that simple for me really, i just take the game less seriously usually, hence i never actually play at my very best. ;P

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked