What do you think of the Retake/Hold the Line movement, are they:
"Entitled crybabies"
25.5% (110)
25.5% (110)
"Rightfully angry customers that should be voicing their dissatisfaction"
36% (155)
36% (155)
"^The same as the above but they have taken it too far or are not expressing their feelings in the appropriate/acceptable way"
37.8% (163)
37.8% (163)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: What is your opinion of "Retake Mass Effect 3" and/or "Hold the Line"

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

(I may have said this before but this will be my last Mass Effect 3 thread - on the other hand this is a thread about the fans so maybe that's a justification :P)

Recently, here on the Escapist, and I'm sure on lots of other gaming community forums, there seems to have been a stream of threads and news articles all revolving around what could be termed a "crisis" with Bioware and its fans thanks to Mass Effect 3. Each time numerous people have voiced their opinions on the situation.

At the head of all this, probably the ones starting all of this off, is the "Retake Mass Effect" and "Hold Line Movements" (which I understand have merged?) especially on the Bioware Social Network. Now I've noticed there are several "schools of thought" on these/this movement which could (arbitrarily!) be categorised into several groups. There are those that think members of this movement are:

"entitled crybabies"

"rightfully angry customers that should be voicing their dissatisfaction"

"^The same as the above but they have taken it too far or are not expressing their feelings in the appropriate/acceptable way"

What I want to ask fellow users of the Escapist is what is your opinion and what group do you "fit into"?

I try to ignore it since I feel that overexposure to it leads to brain damage.

I try to take note of what they say for the opposite reason.

Ralfy:
I try to take note of what they say for the opposite reason.

What does that mean?

It's funny to me. Often, you can't get people to stand against atrocities happening in their own backyard, but if they hate the ending to a video game? It's time to take to the streets!

The whole billboard thing they are doing is incredibly stupid, I think many of the intelligent members stopped contributing to their efforts. Honestly I was concerned the moment they jumped on the Extended Cut. Yeah, at first glance it looks like a cop-out but shouldn't we at least give Bioware a chance and see what they give us before we swear we will never give them another dime?

Im in the "taken too far" crowd.

One thing to expect a good ending for the final installment of a trilogy, quite another taking what EA community reps say at face value.

hmmm, i would say i do not care but hold the mindset that companies can do whatever the hell they want as long as it was their stories although the lead writer was not apart of the mass effect 3.

so i don't care but i still have an stance if forced into a conversation

I just think some people have taken ME too seriously. FFS it's a game series that got a crappy end. Boo-fucking-hoo.

They're bitchy little cry babies. Any valid points they might have constantly gets drowned out by their arrogance.

Right up till they continued attacking BioWare after they announced the Extended Cut I was at least somewhat sympathetic towards them.

This is no longer the case.

Sorry but if you're going to spew bile and vitriol at company whose is taking time out of their planned DLC production schedule to produce something free to help address your concerns because it isn't exactly what you personally wanted them to do - you deserve all the flak that comes your way.

I initially had sympathy for them, largely because of how they were treated by the rest of the community, but now that they've gotten the extended cut it's harder to like those who still demand more. If they're still upset they should just cut the loss and go home. Demanding more isn't going to do it.

Now, those who just want to complain on the other hand pretty much have my unconditional support. There's nothing wrong with calling shit, shit.

My first thought was oh not another ME3 thread, we haven't seen several of those posted a day since March.

I'm in the "taken too far" camp. Enough is enough. It is a fucking VIDEO GAME! It is not real. Get over it.

i think they have are right to talk about and express their dissatisfaction as feedback.
but i heard people were trying to get law suits and refunds that's just silly if you ask me.
so picked the 3rd option

but i'm a fan of the indoctrination theory so quite content with the ending. however if they change that and don't replace it with anything near as awesome i'll be disappointed and you can bet i'll be talking about it.

The fact that people are still complaining that it's shit when the damn extended cut thing hasn't even been released annoys me.
Just let it get released guys. You might enjoy it.

Voted: Entitled Crybabies

Why? Well, because Mass Effect isn't the first good game with a shitty ending in the history of videogames.

This coming from someone who tries to keep an open mind on everything, see every side of every argument, give credence to multiple arguments.

But...

I just can't be arsed to care for the "Retake Mass Effect" movement. Mass Effect 3 was a great game, that was a blast to play through, that had a really shitty ending. My response is to fit in my category of "Great games with Shitty endings" and move on.

It's nowhere near the disappointment of Dragon Age 2. That was a terrible game.

So I can't comprehend why this shitstorm has gotten to these proportions like this. People attempting to file lawsuits, boycotts, wasting their time by making cupcakes. It's just all one big silly to me. I can't wait for everyone to find someone else to whine about.

I still go with the second option. A relatively very few people have taken it too far.

tacotrainwreck:
It's funny to me. Often, you can't get people to stand against atrocities happening in their own backyard, but if they hate the ending to a video game? It's time to take to the streets!

That's because EA doesn't have the power to gun you down if you don't like their direction.

I'm in the "Taken too far" crowd now. But to call them entitled crybabies is disingenious, since they've made their point quite clearly and intelligently... up until they were finally offered closure.

The third one. I'm not of the opinion that they're "entitled crybabies", but only because the concept of "entitlement" as it's being thrown around these topics as a negative is nonsense. But Crybabies, yes. I loved the series as well, and yeah, I hate the ending too. So what? A game disapointed you, it happens. Shut the hell up and move on. Post some bad reviews, maybe don't buy the next one.

Jadak:
The third one. I'm not of the opinion that they're "entitled crybabies", but only because the concept of "entitlement" as it's being thrown around these topics as a negative is nonsense. But Crybabies, yes. I loved the series as well, and yeah, I hate the ending too. So what? A game disapointed you, it happens. Shut the hell up and move on. Post some bad reviews, maybe don't buy the next one.

Pretty much that, but I'll add that the bullshit stemming from the ME3 debacle doesn't end there.

There's been entirely too many people wielding the word "entitlement" like a catch-all cudgel; to the point where the growing stigma of the word carries more weight than it's actual meaning.

There are people misusing and establishing arbitrary, bullshit definitions for the word "art" so they can wield "artistic integrity" from atop their Pearl-White High Horse. I saw someone attempt to wield it objectively without explaining how s/he arrived at such a definition.
The one defense provided for it?
"Because art would become meaningless if we don't stick to this definition. Ergo, ME3 is not art."
In other words "Because I say so."

And of course, no controversy would be complete without the deluge of trolls constantly making ME3 topics for no other reason than to make them. Anything to "win at teh internetz", right?

Really: There's all of these obnoxious topics, movements, and pseudo-intellectual wankery over what is essentially a letdown in a game series...good fucking grief.

Mcoffey:
They're bitchy little cry babies. Any valid points they might have constantly gets drowned out by their arrogance.

I've yet to see any arrogance. Got an example or two?

Scow2:

tacotrainwreck:

That's because EA doesn't have the power to gun you down if you don't like their direction.

Wow, my condolences to you for wherever it is you live, man. Even North Korea just sends you to the Gulag. :P

At first I was all for it and more power to them. Then they crossed "the line" and became the poster boys for gamers often-debated sense of entitlement. As of now, I just want this to be done and over with so we can stop hearing about it and move on.

Where's the "Rightfully angry customers that should be voicing their dissatisfaction, but some have taken it too far or are not expressing their feelings in the appropriate/acceptable way" option?

tacotrainwreck:

Scow2:

tacotrainwreck:

Wow, my condolences to you for wherever it is you live, man. Even North Korea just sends you to the Gulag. :P

Wow, they've got a gulag now? They're moving up in the world.

anthony87:

Mcoffey:

The whole argument that Bioware "owes" them a better ending. You cant swing a dead cat on the Bioware Social Network (Most of them being proud card-carrying members of the Retake thing) without seeing it.

I hated the ending to Matrix 3, and all of Transformers 2, but I didn't demand they change their movies, and I certainly didn't try to file an FTC complaint about them.

I just think everybody involved needs some cupcakes.

Wait, you're telling me they've already got cupcakes. Well fuck, who'da thought. How about hugs. People still like hugs right? And blow jobs?

Yes Dave I guess that second one is going too far.

No I don't want you anywhere near my pants Dave. Blow Job day is Thursday Dave, and you'd better remember that. Make sure to bring the wig.

*sigh* It's so hard finding good help these days.

They're right about the ending, but I feel that all that effort would be better spent on activism that actually matters and/or playing RPGs from better developers.

I think they're right to be mad about it, but show it in the wrong way. You don't go around saying "Oh, sure. I'll buy the ending, that's totally ok". Right, that's a good standard for the gaming industry. Sell the ending separately. Fuck no. I'm not going to even talk about changing the ending. Changing the ending of a story "'cause it sucked"? Good god.

If you were dissatisfied with the product, tell them to give your fucking money back. Don't throw more at them.

Mcoffey:

anthony87:

Mcoffey:

The whole argument that Bioware "owes" them a better ending. You cant swing a dead cat on the Bioware Social Network (Most of them being proud card-carrying members of the Retake thing) without seeing it.

I hated the ending to Matrix 3, and all of Transformers 2, but I didn't demand they change their movies, and I certainly didn't try to file an FTC complaint about them.

Exactly. People are well within their rights to want a new ending, to ask for a new ending, even to send cupcakes or solicit charity donations to show just how much they want a new ending.

That said, Bioware/EA are also well within /their/ rights to say "No new ending for you" and have that be the end of it. This notion that they /have/ to make a new ending because of fan demand, 'false advertisement', or because they donated X amount of $ to charity, is entitlement, plain and simple.

It's silly. I thought the whole "Operation Rainfall" thing was a bit stupid at first but this is just a whole new level of idiocy.

They are sore winners.

The moment to stop complaining about something is when you win the argument. Retake ME3 won the argument when Bioware and EA announced the post ending DLC. That is when they should stop complaining about it and find something else. Instead, the Retake ME3 crowd went after people that disagreed with them, in a vain attempt to quash all dissenting voices. They did it to any relatively known Internet personality, like Moviebob, JimSterling for a time, even the Spoony one.

Sure the people who lost the debate can still complain about it. That makes them look petty and infantile, but it does not matter. My side of the issue lost when EA said they will flesh it out. When that happened, I bitched about it, but I moved on. Retake ME3 showed its age and complained more.

Although I do love some of the tactics I've seen in the last month, especially the one where ME3 is not art and therefore can be changed whenever the designers want it to. I like it for 2 reasons: 1) The argument is not universal. I bet the same people arguing about the ending would be the first to tell me that it's somehow different when Lucas did the same thing to Star Wars. and 2) Their definition of Art is so rigidly defined that it not only excludes video games, but also live performances, recordings, movies, comic books and graphic novels, manga, and pretty much anything that was popular. I guess they needed to do it so their argument could work, even though by any dictionary definition of Art, video games could fit.

DustyDrB:
I still go with the second option. A relatively very few people have taken it too far.

mostly this, it's just unfortunate the few people somehow turn into massive amounts of people which turns into constant turmoil after gossip/people whining about the whiners...honestly most of the posts and guidelines about how they want to do it are pretty civil/good (although the billboard thing is pretty silly i think.)

honestly EAware did the perfect move here for them personally, the extended cut is probably the cheapest thing they've ever made, which is why it's for free, not to mention they aren't releasing it for months, so they hope the swelling drops down by then, it's a major cop out for them to say "HERE! we are listening! your getting this!" and then anyone even remotely on EA's side in this can also say "SEE. YOU CRYBABIES ARE GETTING WHAT YOU WANT. NOW SHUT UP." when in all, the turd is still a turd, no matter how many hats you put on it or how much you polish it.

granted, i am going to wait and see, as i could be wrong about this...but with how the "Q&A" section is worded, and how they really don't seem to be "listening" because if they were, they wouldn't have answered the Q&A in such a form, i am very skeptical and am pretty much done with EAware.

Really, if this minorty fan segment had just done what they should have and gone "wow, that ending sucks." and moved on we all would have been better for it.

BTW has anyone else found the ME3 Ending much more satisfying if you did not become space jesus in ME 1 or 2? I found that by letting Wrex Die, Selling Legion off, banging Liara, then Thane, then Samantha, Killing the Geth, Jack getting caught, and Choosing Morinth only for her to become a banshee I found the game MUCH MORE SATISFYING. it felt like a Battlesatr Galactica Universe instead of Star Trek.

I still say there's nothing to retake, and trying to retake something is crossing the line. People are free to voice their opinions, but making demands and using charity as a front for personal motives is just childish.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked