EA is at it again

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

More Fun To Compute:

ablac:

More Fun To Compute:
It must be nice for the gay community to have EA stand firmly behind them taking their money and riding on the coat tails of the activism they have worked so hard on.

How does EA take their money?

EA sell games for money.

You said it as if they were doing something wrong isall I misinterpreted what you said.

I don't like EA's recent decisions, but sadly there isn't enough proof to say they are as corrupt as people think. Origin was EA's work, but people assume that EA pulled the strings on the Mass Effect 3 ending. And this, I don't see why anyone believes EA did this. I wouldn't be surprised if EA did this, but there is no evidence here at all. I doubt EA cares about this petition so I see no reason for them risk getting caught spamming signatures.

I still think the Call of Duty business model keeps EA from being the most evil company, I do grant that it could be ranked second. This thread makes me sad though, usually this forum community doesn't pounce on something this unreliable.

Stop buying games made/published by EA already kids, we don't need to have the newest, shiniest games, we need GOOD games, not copy/paste clones and squeals all the time.

I haven't really dove in much for the whole "opinions of EA" thing, much. Didn't really see why there was all the hate. Guess I have a lot more to catch up on that I've missed. Looks like this is the kind of idiocy that people are talking about.

NEWSFLASH: EA DID SOMETHING INCREDIBLY STUPID!

Editor: Yeah, we can't print stories like this every day about EA.

Journo: But they are that dumb!

Ed: We know. We know.

Draech:

Seanfall:

erttheking:
"Sigh" For a second I thought that they were getting a little better when they started to announce free ME3 DLC, I guess I forgot who we were dealing with.

One step forward Eight steps back. It's the curly shuffle! :D being used by EA...

Can you explain to me why EA did this?

I mean they are trying to affect petition to affect their company?
That is 7 lvls of stupid. Even better how are you drawing the conclusion that it is EA using bots? Why not the people who made the petition?

I was just trying to make a joke....ask the OP. I'm not sure this IS EA. Not that I'd put it past em.

canadamus_prime:
Ah Ok. Well I applaud them for not caving to political whack-jock lobby groups, I have to wonder why the hell they felt the need to resort to such a tactic instead of just flat out saying "No." Doing this only serves to make them look disreputable and underhanded. ...well more disreputable and underhanded than then they already are anyway.

So, let me get this straight...

Giving in to "gay rights" lobby groups demanding they cater to their fringe group needs to change games like The Old Republic to include what they want = Yay, good, moar power to the people!

Giving in to a large number of fans disappointed over the ending of a trilogy or taking note of Christian people asking that they please not change the game due to the demand of a few people = Booo! bad, how dare they!

How the fuck does your mind work?

defskyoen:

canadamus_prime:
Ah Ok. Well I applaud them for not caving to political whack-jock lobby groups, I have to wonder why the hell they felt the need to resort to such a tactic instead of just flat out saying "No." Doing this only serves to make them look disreputable and underhanded. ...well more disreputable and underhanded than then they already are anyway.

So, let me get this straight...

Giving in to "gay rights" lobby groups demanding they cater to their fringe group needs to change games like The Old Republic to include what they want = Yay, good, moar power to the people!

Giving in to a large number of fans disappointed over the ending of a trilogy or taking note of Christian people asking that they please not change the game due to the demand of a few people = Booo! bad, how dare they!

How the fuck does your mind work?

Noooooooooooo, not at all. Ideally, I would hope that they would include the gay options because they wanted to and not because some gay rights wacko extremist group demanded it (Yes, I know it doesn't actually work out that way). I don't support any sort of extremest group, whether they be extremist gay people who demand to be accommodated in EVERYTHING, or extremest wacko religious nutjobs that want to persecute everything or extremest wacko feminists who want to erase the word "man" from the english language for some stupid reason. They're all stupid and should all be rounded up and tossed into an active volcano, but that's not gonna happen. So yeah I'm going to applaud whenever someone doesn't give in to these nutjobs.

canadamus_prime:
Noooooooooooo, not at all. Ideally, I would hope that they would include the gay options because they wanted to and not because some gay rights wacko extremist group demanded it (Yes, I know it doesn't actually work out that way). I don't support any sort of extremest group, whether they be extremist gay people who demand to be accommodated in EVERYTHING, or extremest wacko religious nutjobs that want to persecute everything or extremest wacko feminists who want to erase the word "man" from the english language for some stupid reason. They're all stupid and should all be rounded up and tossed into an active volcano, but that's not gonna happen. So yeah I'm going to applaud whenever someone doesn't give in to these nutjobs.

Well okay, I just wanted to point out that the game didn't include any of that and Bioware has even said that "homosexuality doesn't exist in Star Wars": http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/PCWorld/story?id=7449391

After about 2+ years of lobbying and videos like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hopIy2zsoPg they decided that they want to "Patch it in".

The "christian wackos" aren't asking them to demonize gay people, remove any options or whatever, but that they not give in to all the lobbying and demands of that particular community and leave the game as is.

Elamdri:

Thatrocketeer:
And a rational person cares about this because, well, using bots for legitimate petitions like this could destroy the powers and credibility of petitions, as well as making all points raised by activists through petitions worthless.

I am amused that you think petitions have power and credibility.

Well, petitions did get us Dark Souls on PC. So yes, I do think petitions have power and credibility.

You say they're "at it again."

When did they ever stop?

Not sure if EA is behind this, but if they are.. uh.. well actually can't tell if they'll get much negative feedback from the community. Everyone knows they're a pretty low company- after all they did win the 'Worst Company Award in America'. So... EA, if you did this let me just say that I am not surprised.

Who says big video game companies refuse to innovate? EA's PR and marketing departments seem determined to plumb new depths.

In all honesty though, what was that petition thing supposed to be about, and why was I supposed to care in any event? I value the opinions of 75,000 nameless faceless burks on the internet little more than 75,000 spam bots.

defskyoen:

canadamus_prime:

Well okay, I just wanted to point out that the game didn't include any of that and Bioware has even said that "homosexuality doesn't exist in Star Wars": http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/PCWorld/story?id=7449391

After about 2+ years of lobbying and videos like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hopIy2zsoPg they decided that they want to "Patch it in".

The "christian wackos" aren't asking them to demonize gay people, remove any options or whatever, but that they not give in to all the lobbying and demands of that particular community and leave the game as is.

Well alright, forgive my ignorance.
Still I can't help but notice that this group would have EA not give in to the demands of other lobby groups and instead give in to their demands instead. _
Besides I was under the impression that this wasn't just about The Old Republic, but all of EA/Bioware's game's that included gay options, which for most of them they weren't just "patched in."

khan from united states lol
"I leave you on a dying planet like you left me"

Honestly, if I cared enough to do it I'd be tempted to learn how to make a spam bot like that and try it. I'm pretty sure there are people out there who already know how and would do it for the lulz. I'd prefer not to accuse anyone so prematurely really. It doesn't seem so terribly unlikely that someone could want to do this to get this kind of reaction.

So EA used bots to sign a petition wanting EA to stay firm on the issue of having gay romances in SWTOR.

Instead why not just, you know, not give in to the pressure from people wanting them gone in the first place?

Also to be fair, the petition would more than likely have reached the target number anyway. EA just gave it a helping hand to get there sooner.

EA is just trying to make a mad dash to lose as much credibility and respect as they possibly can this year, possibly for a world record!

canadamus_prime:

defskyoen:

canadamus_prime:

Well alright, forgive my ignorance.
Still I can't help but notice that this group would have EA not give in to the demands of other lobby groups and instead give in to their demands instead. _
Besides I was under the impression that this wasn't just about The Old Republic, but all of EA/Bioware's game's that included gay options, which for most of them they weren't just "patched in."

Well he is actually misrepresenting information right there.

The Religious wackos were there first. That was brewing ever since Dragon Age. And they are indeed asking to remove the option.
The pro "lobbying" group was a counter reaction to attempts to discriminate. It did get a lot more followers a lot quicker, because as it turns out the internet seems to be all about rights to a lot of people. Bioware has some lockdown on the forums because as it turns out.... when people start using words like "gay" in a thread there is usually a flame war brewing. The threads on the subject has been unlocked (the original one).

As a response to the email champaign the Anti-Gay Lobby has been sending EA has already said that they wont follow their demands and calling it "political harassment". Making the Petition somewhat redundant, but still a nice thing to show support for equal rights.

As much as EA pissed me off with the ME3 ending, I think I believe it really is just a radical trolling them considering what its about. There's still alot of hate for things like this going on that it is quite believable it was sabotage. I'm with EA on this one.

I'm sorry, but this has to be the work of trolls or hackers, not E.A themselves. The fact that we're seeing comments from the likes of "Steve from Yemen" kind of proves that we're meant to see that they're fake. As funny as this is, you only have to use a bit of common sense to severely doubt this was purposefully done by E.A. However, if I'm wrong then E.A, the fuck is wrong with you!?

Zeckt:
As much as EA pissed me off with the ME3 ending, I think I believe it really is just a radical trolling them considering what its about. There's still alot of hate for things like this going on that it is quite believable it was sabotage. I'm with EA on this one.

Electronic Arts != Bioware, kids! Reading Comprehension is Fun!

It's EA, so this (if proven to be true) wouldn't surprise me in the least.

After winning the Worst Company in America award, they'd have to find a new low to sink to and falsifying support for a human rights campaign that doesn't need falsified support for self-aggrandisement seems to fit the bill...

Someone show me proof that EA did it. Anyone can use bots to fill up the petition

Now... what possible reason in the world could EA have for doing this? Is it really like this petition couldnt get 75k signatures on its own?

Though I see no actual evidence that EA had any part of this action.

But even if EA didnt have a hand in this, what possible reason would there be for using a spam bot to inflate the numbers of an online petition?

Elamdri:

Thatrocketeer:
And a rational person cares about this because, well, using bots for legitimate petitions like this could destroy the powers and credibility of petitions, as well as making all points raised by activists through petitions worthless.

I am amused that you think that petitions, as a means through which electorates can convey support (or withdrawal of support) to a political class seeking those same votes that electorate represent, do not possess power and weight.

Re credibility - Credibility is a somewhat-relative value that depends on a myriad of factors, so I'm not going to go into it.

This is pretty interesting: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=233354 It says on the forum it could just be a false positive, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Oh and the campaign's been suspended because of the bots

Shocker... EA trying to manufacture opinion and controversy. Other companies and mega corporations have done this many times over, only seems natural that now that games are becoming big business, us consumers get to feel the effect of shady business practices and such.

My guess would be that some EA-hating person still sore over Mass Effect 3 made those images, after doing the botting themselves.

Esotera:
Have you any proof that it was EA using spambots? I find it a lot more probable that it's someone who really hates EA who's done this to make them look bad, or just a few trolls.

Hey! No! You keep your logic out of this EA hating!

I'm not sure what's more absurd; The irrational hatred of a company, or the fact that people care that their totally-not-real, genderless 3D models in a computer program can't be in a nonexistent "relationship" with other genderless 3D models in a computer program.

Super crazy newsflash! Polygons, tris, meshes, vertices, and faces have no gender.

Legit101:
Here's a video to accurately describe EA stocks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckKFxMw6z0c

Ok, two thumbs up for making me laugh.

Shinigami214:

Elamdri:

Thatrocketeer:

I am amused that you think that petitions, as a means through which electorates can convey support (or withdrawal of support) to a political class seeking those same votes that electorate represent, do not possess power and weight.

Re credibility - Credibility is a somewhat-relative value that depends on a myriad of factors, so I'm not going to go into it.

I don't put much faith in the ability of the masses to affect anything. Not peacefully anyway. I mean, yeah, everyone one in a while, we get a win, but it feels like someone tossed us a bone to make us go away rather than a true win.

Elamdri:

Fappy:

I was implying that this reinforces the fact that EA is dishonest, assuming its true of course. The stab in the back part is just my way of saying that any company willing to lie and cheat as much as EA does is not trustworthy.

Maybe I'm just jaded. It just seems silly to me to jump down EA's throats over something as silly as A: Something that no one has proof that they are behind and B: Something that even if they were behind it, it's probably for the public good that they are doing it.

and yet, And yet you are willing to believe the claim by EA that they have received thousands of hatemail from homophobes?

boag:

Elamdri:

Fappy:

I was implying that this reinforces the fact that EA is dishonest, assuming its true of course. The stab in the back part is just my way of saying that any company willing to lie and cheat as much as EA does is not trustworthy.

Maybe I'm just jaded. It just seems silly to me to jump down EA's throats over something as silly as A: Something that no one has proof that they are behind and B: Something that even if they were behind it, it's probably for the public good that they are doing it.

and yet, And yet you are willing to believe the claim by EA that they have received thousands of hatemail from homophobes?

Well apparently EA is the most hated company in 2012 so....

Elamdri:

boag:

Elamdri:

Well apparently EA is the most hated company in 2012 so....

so what?

are you implying that Homophobes voted EA as the worst company?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked