I thought Mass Effect 3 was done pissing me off. (This is not about the end, I swear)

So the new multyplayer DLC pack came out today.
and I had about 2 million credits stored up in preparation for that.
30 Spectre packs later I didn't get anything from the new DLC
I'm beginning to think there was nothing in that pack and EA just released an empty DLC under the guise of "random drops"

But that's not even the whole thing.
Remember the bug that doesn't allow you to import your Shepard's face if you've been playing since ME 1?
Bioware didn't.
What kind of fucked-in-the-head executive releases new content before fixing a bug as massive as that?

I'd love to here what Bioware has to say about that. "Noooooooo, Mass Effect isn't about Shepard! It's about Multyplayer and Micro-transactions!"

I'm done, I'm fucking done.
How about you, are you fucking done too? Or am I over reacting?

Are you sure it came out already? I thought they were going to fix that bug in this patch. I gave up waiting and just redid my Shepards face from memory. It's funny, there have been tons of threads about the ending and none that I can remember about the fact that the BEGINNING was bugged for tons of us and caused us wait weeks for a fix that was too long in the coming.
As far as the packs go, yeah, I could have told you that, you get lucky and get the guns you want or you don't. I use mainly pistols and assault rifles and they have given me every shotgun in the game. I just got the Salarian Infil last week. It is what it is. It's there to keep you playing... until you quit out of frustration of course.

The DLC characters/weapons are not available in the packs and the patch hasn't gone live yet. The only thing available at the moment are the new maps. I wasted my credits before I figured this out too. As far as I know Bioware just decided it wasn't worth mentioning to anyone.

Fappy:
The DLC characters/weapons are not available in the packs and the patch hasn't gone live yet. The only thing available at the moment are the new maps. I wasted my credits before I figured this out too. As far as I know Bioware just decided it wasn't worth mentioning to anyone.

So not only did they release an unfinished buggy game
They also released unfinished buggy DLC to try to make amends for the unfinished buggy game?

Everyone who works for EA needs to die in a ditch.

Do you have any clue when the patch is coming out?

Mikeyfell:

Fappy:

They also released unfinished buggy DLC to try to make amends for the unfinished buggy game?

Sometime tonight probably.

:3 well I've got 300K credits stored up, soooooo thanks for the heads-up I guess.

Captcha: Describe this brand with any word(s): Nescafe.
Response: "This fucking blows." :P

Fappy:

Mikeyfell:

Fappy:

Sometime tonight probably.

RAGE......

Thanks, I guess I've got to go earn some credits.

RJ 17:
:3 well I've got 300K credits stored up, soooooo thanks for the heads-up I guess.

I am working from home today so I was all like, "Might as well buy them now and see what I get so I can be excited to play them after work!"

I was disappoint :(

Swyftstar:
Are you sure it came out already? I thought they were going to fix that bug in this patch. I gave up waiting and just redid my Shepards face from memory. It's funny, there have been tons of threads about the ending and none that I can remember about the fact that the BEGINNING was bugged for tons of us and caused us wait weeks for a fix that was too long in the coming.
As far as the packs go, yeah, I could have told you that, you get lucky and get the guns you want or you don't. I use mainly pistols and assault rifles and they have given me every shotgun in the game. I just got the Salarian Infil last week. It is what it is. It's there to keep you playing... until you quit out of frustration of course.

On point one: there have been a few threads, actually, about the face-import bug. They were just right out of the gate when the game was released and very quickly got drown out by the "OMG WTF ENDING?!?!?!?!" topics.

On point 2: I believe the OP is specifically mentioning that the DLC is available in the XBL marketplace....yet downloading it does absolutely nothing since the characters apparently haven't been patched in yet.

Fappy:

RJ 17:

I am working from home today so I was all like, "Might as well buy them now and see what I get so I can be excited to play them after work!"

Yeah, I was up till midnight (Central) playing MP and checked to see if the DLC was available before going to bed, it wasn't up yet so I said screw it. Like I said though, apparently this was a good thing as it saved me from blowing through my credits in what - judging by your testimony - would have been an absolute waste.

Sorry to hear about you wasting credits, but it's likely no bigger a waste than the credits I blew on 3 fucking Premium Specter Packs over the course of last week. 5 character cards and an upgrade for the fucking pulse rifle..........yeah, that was REALLY worth the 99Kx3 credits....

RJ 17:

Fappy:

RJ 17:

Yeah, I was up till midnight (Central) playing MP and checked to see if the DLC was available before going to bed, it wasn't up yet so I said screw it. Like I said though, apparently this was a good thing as it saved me from blowing through my credits in what - judging by your testimony - would have been an absolute waste.

Sorry to hear about you wasting credits, but it's likely no bigger a waste than the credits I blew on 3 fucking Premium Specter Packs over the course of last week. 5 character cards and an upgrade for the fucking pulse rifle..........yeah, that was REALLY worth the 99Kx3 credits....

I maxed out my Carnifex thanks to the Premium packs :P

I only wasted like 140k or something. Two golds/five silvers.

Fappy:

RJ 17:

Fappy:

Seeing as how the Carnifex is my weapon of choice for my caster classes (Quarian Engineer and Turian Sentinel) I would have been THRILLED to get some upgrades for it. Nope, 5 characters I've already got and 1 weapon that I lovingly refer to as the Hyper Spitwad Cannon. Really, all you do when you unload a Geth Pulse Rifle clip into an enemy is get them slightly soggy and a little annoyed. xP

RJ 17:

Fappy:

RJ 17:

Seeing as how the Carnifex is my weapon of choice for my caster classes (Quarian Engineer and Turian Sentinel) I would have been THRILLED to get some upgrades for it. Nope, 5 characters I've already got and 1 weapon that I lovingly refer to as the Hyper Spitwad Cannon. Really, all you do when you unload a Geth Pulse Rifle clip into an enemy is get them slightly soggy and a little annoyed. xP

Yeah its sad really. I love Geth weapons :(

Carnifex is a boss btw. Running around with 200% CD on an Asari Adept or Salarian Engineer with a Carnifex X is godmode.

moral of this story is always do a forum check before spending your money real or virtual

Fappy:

RJ 17:

Fappy:

Carnifex is a boss btw. Running around with 200% CD on an Asari Adept or Salarian Engineer with a Carnifex X is godmode.

Oh I know allll about the wonders of the Carnifex. Good god, last night I had the perfect mix of booze and music and my Turian Sentinel became Raiden: God of Thunder. Spamming Chain Overload every 2 seconds and I became an unstoppable force of murder and destruction. I was doing something I had never done, go full-jackass just running around on my own...but I wasn't getting my ass kicked and dying on the opposite side of the map from my team, no no. Like Charlie Sheen I was an F18 filled with Red Bull. I was a Turian with tiger blood and Adonis DNA. In short: I was WINNING! Seriously, I was absolutely unstoppable. I rarely take the lead on the scoreboard since I mostly prefer playing a support role, but good god I was just on fire. Like, 35K above the person in 2nd place and we were only on wave 6. My teammates were good, but I was just always in the right place at the right time to pull off a huge flank and just shock the shit out of the enemies. Really wish I had the capability to record games, because that was easily my best game of ME3 multiplayer to-date.

Edit: But about the Geth weapons, it really is a damn shame the pulse rifle is so worthless...especially considering it's brother the Geth Plasma Shotgun is the god-king of the shotgun world, and it's sister, the Javelin Sniper Rifle is a damn fine weapon as well with a built in smoke-piercing scope and cover-piercing ability.

RJ 17:

Fappy:

RJ 17:

Oh I know allll about the wonders of the Carnifex. Good god, last night I had the perfect mix of booze and music and my Turian Sentinel became Raiden: God of Thunder. Spamming Chain Overload every 2 seconds and I became an unstoppable force of murder and destruction. I was doing something I had never done, go full-jackass just running around on my own...but I wasn't getting my ass kicked and dying on the opposite side of the map from my team, no no. Like Charlie Sheen I was an F18 filled with Red Bull. I was a Turian with tiger blood and Adonis DNA. In short: I was WINNING! Seriously, I was absolutely unstoppable. I rarely take the lead on the scoreboard since I mostly prefer playing a support role, but good god I was just on fire. Like, 35K above the person in 2nd place and we were only on wave 6. My teammates were good, but I was just always in the right place at the right time to pull off a huge flank and just shock the shit out of the enemies. Really wish I had the capability to record games, because that was easily my best game of ME3 multiplayer to-date.

I am actually totally full of myself in most video games so you're rare instance of running around soloing one side of the map is what I usually end up doing on Silver anyway XP

I CAN'T HELP THAT I AM SUCH A BOSS!

And for the record, Turian Sentinel + Chain Overload + Carnifex = no more Geth.

Fappy:
I am actually totally full of myself in most video games so you're rare instance of running around soloing one side of the map is what I usually end up doing on Silver anyway XP

And for the record, Turian Sentinel + Chain Overload (with neural shock upgrade) + Carnifex = no more Geth. anything

:P Fixed your equation for you.

Seriously, I had Metallica's "Ain't My Bitch" on repeat, drinking a Four Loko, and just wrecking the house on Silver. The map was Firebase Giant and we were against Cerberus. If a group of enemies stands in your way, spam some Overload at them and they will be your enemies no longer. Easily the most fun I've ever had in a match.

The ONLY thing I hate about the Turian Sentinel: NO FRICKIN' DODGE! >:(

RJ 17:

Fappy:

And for the record, Turian Sentinel + Chain Overload (with neural shock upgrade) + Carnifex = no more Geth. anything

Seriously, I had Metallica's "Ain't My Bitch" on repeat, drinking a Four Loko, and just wrecking the house on Silver. The map was Firebase Giant and we were against Cerberus. If a group of enemies stands in your way, spam some Overload at them and they will be your enemies no longer. Easily the most fun I've ever had in a match.

Yeah the no dodge thing hurts. For some reason Metallica's "Call of Ktulu" always reminds me of ME.

Fappy:

RJ 17:

Fappy:

Yeah the no dodge thing hurts. For some reason Metallica's "Call of Ktulu" always reminds me of ME.

:P What was really funny was that even as I was going on a crazy killing spree I was telling my friends "I promise you, next round I'm going to get absolutely raped." Annnnnnd sure enough, I did. I wasn't even trying to go charge off and wreck faces like I was the game before. Just where as on Giant I was always in the right place at the right time, the next round on White always seemed to have me getting shot at from behind no matter where I went.

Fappy:

Now ain't that a load of ass.

Thank's for the info though. The boyfriend is pissed that he wasted all those credits though.

That's weird, I was playing a few hours ago (360) - first and only Spectre pack I got, I got the Geth Plasma SMG (not that great, but then it's an SMG). Played with a Krogan Vanguard, the new Asari, a Batarian Soldier, and I've seen more than a few Harpoon Rifles.

So yeah, it's working... now, at least.

I was never all that enthused about the multiplayer so I can't say anything there, but I can tell you why the face import patch hasn't dropped yet...

BioWare explicitly stated that they're gonna test it, then test it again, then test it some more until the fucking wire-frames fall out making sure that the patch will not fuck up. While I'm not too keen on restarting the game from scratch as I'm rather fond of my Widow Mk.X, if that means I get to keep my lovely Erika the way she was in the previous games, I'll roll with it.

Besides, the first couple of runs are always throwaways anyway.

holy crap, 2 million saved up?

sweet jesus...savin up for a while, huh?

that really does suck they didn't have everything go live at once...doesn't quite make sense to me, but live and learn on that i guess.

Ive spent about 750,000 points and got a Geth Engineer, the Krogan Battlemaster Vanguard, harpoon gun and the new Striker Assault Rifle. Havn't gotten any of the new consumables, yet :P

I'm actually considering ripping assets from me1&2 and recreating my own lore-friendly version that's more than just Ye Olde Enemy Wave Survival mode, and one that actually changes how each class works, so that there's a real semblance of teamwork instead of grouping up in a corner and shooting baddies.

Please don't let EA know, I don't want to be acquired and then forced to turn it into Gears of War.

Mikeyfell:

Remember the bug that doesn't allow you to import your Shepard's face if you've been playing since ME 1?
Bioware didn't.
What kind of fucked-in-the-head executive releases new content before fixing a bug as massive as that?

They actually did fix that a few days ago...

Apart from that, well ouch i guess. I've saved up 400k credits over the past week or so of playing which i was gonna blow in one go once the DLC hits.. fortunately it isn't out in the UK yet otherwise i would have dropped all my creds and wasted them too =/

I think your overatcting

unrelated...but I'll probably do a full replay on PC at some point..

do you think theres some kind of Mod that I can use femsheps new default (or somthing similar) in ME1 and ME2?

Ilikemilkshake:

Mikeyfell:

Bioware didn't.

Apart from that, well ouch i guess. I've saved up 400k credits over the past week or so of playing which i was gonna blow in one go once the DLC hits.. fortunately it isn't out in the UK yet otherwise i would have dropped all my creds and wasted them too =/

They did?

It didn't work when I tried it this morning.
Did they fix it for the UK before the US?
lucky...

Mikeyfell:

Bioware didn't.

I've never understood why that was ever even an urgent fix.

See, if the bug only affects characters who've been all the way through both previous games, then it's not unreasonable to assume that most of the players affected are not new players who only have ME3; they're players who have all three games. The bug is also only a major issue to very meticulous people who must have the same face as they did in ME1 and won't accept the facial reconstruction option provided upon import of any save into ME3. With that said, it thus stands to reason that people genuinely affected by this would be minimally inconvenienced by the very simple workaround already available to them: Load the save you want to import in ME*2* and jot down your character "face code" (the thing that looks like this: "733.1FI.G81.M89.EF1.1BQ.7LJ.811.RR6.FA7.311.316") and just make that face for your imported Shep in ME3. Problem solved.

P.S: On PC, this even works without ME2 installed at all; You can open the save file with a save editor and retrieve the character "face code" from there. I hear it's even possible to mess with Xbox save games, and I believe it, but that's out of my depth as I don't have an Xbox nor do I care to.

Oohh, nice power-of-two post count.

Mr.Tea:

Mikeyfell:

Bioware didn't.

I've never understood why that was ever even an urgent fix.

See, if the bug only affects characters who've been all the way through both previous games, then it's not unreasonable to assume that most of the players affected are not new players who only have ME3; they're players who have all three games. The bug is also only a major issue to very meticulous people who must have the same face as they did in ME1 and won't accept the facial reconstruction option provided upon import of any save into ME3. With that said, it thus stands to reason that people genuinely affected by this would be minimally inconvenienced by the very simple workaround already available to them: Load the save you want to import in ME*2* and jot down your character "face code" (the thing that looks like this: "733.1FI.G81.M89.EF1.1BQ.7LJ.811.RR6.FA7.311.316") and just make that face for your imported Shep in ME3. Problem solved.

P.S: On PC, this even works without ME2 installed at all; You can open the save file with a save editor and retrieve the character "face code" from there. I hear it's even possible to mess with Xbox save games, and I believe it, but that's out of my depth as I don't have an Xbox nor do I care to.

Oohh, nice power-of-two post count.

"Yeah, fuck loyal fans of the series who have been with us from the start. We're a subsection of EA now only concerned with milking our consumer base on microtransactions in our tacked on multyplayer mode. We don't make single player RPG's for losers because that's not where the money is, we want to get in on some of that shooter crowd money. What do we think about our long standing fan base? Two words: easy money. Those suckers will buy anything we shit out because we made Baldur's Gate and KotOR. Now excuse me while I go take a bath in the bittersweet tears of someone who had an actual emotional connection to the characters and events of Mass Effect 1 and 2. Enjoy your ending bitches, Trololol."

Or at least that's what I think everyone who works at Bioware is saying right now. Or maybe that's just what I hope they're saying, because if they really just don't care (Which is the feeling I've had ever since I beat Dragon Age 2) then I'm left stunned. Because, I cared. I cared a lot about the games that they made, the worlds and characters they made, and to think they simply don't care anymore. Not even enough to give a decent ending to the most ambitious narrative undertaking in the history of gaming, is baffling.

If they lied about what the "Extended Cut" DLC was and they're actually planing something for this series, great. But if they're not and they just gave up with out being bothered to end it properly the best case scenario I could hope for is that they were building up some elaborate 5 year troll because deep down inside they are all very evil people. Because the alternative is just too sad for me to wrap my head around.

P.S. the face code thing doesn't work on the Xbox. it shows us the same incorrect Shepard that it does when it first fails to import the face. It was the first thing I tried. and the second, and third... I took a picture and tried to recreate it too, didn't go so well.

P.P.S. Sorry this got a little emotional, I've got the Bioware sold their soul to an evil corporation and are therefore just as bad as them blues.

Mikeyfell:

"Yeah, fuck loyal fans of the series who have been with us from the start. We're a subsection of EA now only concerned with milking our consumer base on microtransactions in our tacked on multyplayer mode. We don't make single player RPG's for losers because that's not where the money is, we want to get in on some of that shooter crowd money. What do we think about our long standing fan base? Two words: easy money. Those suckers will buy anything we shit out because we made Baldur's Gate and KotOR. Now excuse me while I go take a bath in the bittersweet tears of someone who had an actual emotional connection to the characters and events of Mass Effect 1 and 2. Enjoy your ending bitches, Trololol."

Or at least that's what I think everyone who works at Bioware is saying right now. Or maybe that's just what I hope they're saying, because if they really just don't care (Which is the feeling I've had ever since I beat Dragon Age 2) then I'm left stunned. Because, I cared. I cared a lot about the games that they made, the worlds and characters they made, and to think they simply don't care anymore. Not even enough to give a decent ending to the most ambitious narrative undertaking in the history of gaming, is baffling.

If they lied about what the "Extended Cut" DLC was and they're actually planing something for this series, great. But if they're not and they just gave up with out being bothered to end it properly the best case scenario I could hope for is that they were building up some elaborate 5 year troll because deep down inside they are all very evil people. Because the alternative is just too sad for me to wrap my head around.

P.S. the face code thing doesn't work on the Xbox. it shows us the same incorrect Shepard that it does when it first fails to import the face. It was the first thing I tried. and the second, and third... I took a picture and tried to recreate it too, didn't go so well.

P.P.S. Sorry this got a little emotional, I've got the Bioware sold their soul to an evil corporation and are therefore just as bad as them blues.

So what you're saying is that just because the save is imported, reconstructing Shepard's face breaks as soon as the face code matches what's in the import? Does it work if you just change, say, Shep's eyes to a different shade just to make the code slightly different?

If that's the bug then I understand better why it sucks. My from-ME1 Shepard imported successfully, but I still tweaked her face because I'm finicky like that.

As for the rant, I feel your pain. Everyone that's "whining" about the ending are doing it because they cared and I cannot fathom how any intelligent and halfway decent person can simultaneously have cared for the story and its characters and have been satisfied with the ending. I'm left with the perfectly reasonable conclusion that people defending the ending are the less invested players who didn't care enough, the suits at EA/Bioware and the wannabe writers who call themselves "game journalists".
About Bioware, I'm pretty sure most of them are good people who know full well the ending sucks and they know exactly how; the ending must be executive meddling.
As for the "journalists"... Some of them fit in the first two categories. Reviewers don't spend enough time with any one game of that length to get really invested and all of the big review sites are stuck in a vicious circle of depending on the ad revenue of the companies making the products they review.
But those other wannabe writers who had the time to watch the ending backlash unfurl and still decided, almost unanimously, to side with Bioware "artistic integrity"... Yeah, they aren't even really siding with Bioware. They're just defending the abstract concept of "artistic integrity". I read a very interesting piece that gives some very plausible insight on why that is. Here's the relevant quote:

There's an episode of the West Wing in which Bartlett complains that the American People will always support the rich over the poor, because they are all dreaming of the day when they themselves will be rich. I rather think the same is true of the attitude the games industry has to writers and game designers. People freak out at the idea of Authors being asked to surrender creative control to mere Readers because they are all busy dreaming of the days when they will be Authors, and they will create Art which will channel their Ideas direct and unpolluted to the waiting minds of their Audience. The idea that - when that day comes - the Audience may not respect the absolute necessity of all of their artistic decisions clearly fills these people with dread.

Anyway. For now, articles and youtube videos carefully ripping the ending apart is how I dull the pain of that complete abandonment of [everything good] that happened in the last 10 minutes.

I'm not done. My only complaint I've had is that occasionally when I buy packs the transaction fails or something and the next time I log in it has gone through, but I have no idea what was in the pack.

And this probably isn't want you want to hear, but the first pack I bought once I got 99k together had a Batarian Sentinel in it. He has some good unique abilities. I'm really enjoying him, but like the turians he can't do combat rolls so that can be annoying sometimes.

Mikeyfell:

Ilikemilkshake:

Mikeyfell:

Bioware didn't.

They did?

It didn't work when I tried it this morning.
Did they fix it for the UK before the US?
lucky...

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/324/index/11094955
http://social.bioware.com/page/me3-patches
http://blog.bioware.com/2012/04/06/4270/

Depending on your platform it came out 1-2 days ago.
It was a 41mb download for the PC version.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked