Games that you like, that many people hate

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Everybody has heard the stories about X game being notoriously BAD. But what games do you actually enjoy, that have suffered from this treatment?

Too Human - I really never understood why this game had so much hate, it had an interesting setting, the weapons were cool, the combat was good, the only bad thing I have to say about it is that damn, Valkyrie coming down from the sky to revive you (It took about 20 seconds, and it happened EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU DIED)

Shodowrun (2007) - Another really interesting game where it was fantasy, combined with the future. Humans, Dwarves, Elves and Trolls fight each other in a futuristic, FPS, Magic-y thing.... It was interesting and different, and I dont see why it deserved the hate it got.

Dragon Age II - To me the only bad things I can think about this game is the fact that you never really leave Kirkwall, and when you do, its for about 30 mins, and the fact that you cannot change the armour of your allies (Which is becoming a theme in Biowares more recent games) the combat is better, the animations are WAY better, the way you interact with characters/people is better. I suppose its like Marmite, you either love it or hate it.

I liked Dragon Age 2 also, even though everyone in the universe hated it. I liked it enough to play it 3 times, whereas I rarely replay RPGs. Of course, part of this is due to the fact the game is painfully shallow to the point I could play it on autopilot just to waste time.

Spore. It was a first impressions sort of thing. I didn't follow the game development and all the hype about whats-its-face-sims and was blindsided by the game. I'm a sucker for player created content and the ability to have my friends play on my PC with their own creations and worlds set within my world and galaxy was really cool.

I giant penis monster a friend created went all stompy in my 1st play through in creature stage. I found another friends world while my game was in space stage an began to taunt him by abducting and blasting his citizens. I had a pretty good, albeit short, experience with the game.

War and Peace
Orda 2

Outpost 2. Shut up, hard SF RTS games don't have to have things like "enemies" or "pacing!"

I guess I'll say 'Mass Effect 3' before anyone else does.

Looking around the room for an answer, my eyes fell on the DS game 'Metroid Prime: Hunters'. Not sure if it was particularly hated, but no one seems to remember it, Metroid fans tend to ignore it, but I had a lot of fun with it.

Dragon Age 2 and Too Human off the top of my head. I'm a sucker for story, I guess. Gameplay? What's that? :P

^This.
Also, Sonic Unleashed. The night stages were bad and there were too much of them but the day stages were good.

Final Fantasy XIII - I actually liked it later on and really enjoyed the post game battles but I dont think many people made it that far.
Actually thats the only one that comes to mind but I dont have many blockbuster type games so they rarely get the chance to gather huge amounts of hate or adoration.

dimensional:
Final Fantasy XIII - I actually liked it later on and really enjoyed the post game battles but I dont think many people made it that far.

This.

Also:
- Call of Duty MW2, BO and MW3. It's my yearly dose of big brainless fun and I love it.
- Dante's Inferno. I really don't know why I liked it, as I can clearly see everything that's awful about it. Ah well...
- The Force Unleashed 1 and 2. There are times when I just want to go on a Force-powered rampage and hack Stormtroopers to bits.
- Mirror's Edge. It took some time for me to get used to it, but in the end I really grew to enjoy it, even if the story is still utter nonsense.

call of duty because there just mindless fun and have good online
dead island 2 because I was pretty bored at the time

Duke Nukem Forever.

I love that game.

It's currently sitting underneath the table next to my armchair because one of the legs broke at the end...

Without it that table would have remained wonky (i'm far too cheap to buy a new one).

So I salute you DNF, I slaute you for fixing my wonky table.

Bulletstorm :/ I love it but I can see why so many people didn't, the main meat of the game was really chasing the top scores on the Echoes as that was really the only game mode that required you to get to grips with the kill system. I strangely treated each Echo as a puzzle which is far more apt than just a straight shooter and as such I got huge amounts of playtime out of it by analysing each stage and trying to slot all the skillshots together in a lovely display of violence and mayhem.

Laggyteabag:

Shadowrun (2007) - Another really interesting game where it was fantasy, combined with the future. Humans, Dwarves, Elves and Trolls fight each other in a futuristic, FPS, Magic-y thing.... It was interesting and different, and I dont see why it deserved the hate it got.

agreed. It's not that nobody liked it, it just wasn't seen as cool or fashionable so didn't sell well. It's a shame because it was great fun.

Personally? Most football manager sims because i like looking at nothing but menus.

Alpha Protocol gets a lot of hate, but I loved it. It's far from perfect, but I thought it was plenty enjoyable even if it wasn't the prettiest or most well written.

well... aparently mass effect 3

but less obviously, prototype, it seems to get a lot of hate and I just don't get why.

I really enjoyed Altar's UFO series. A lot of people were very down on it but I thought it was heaps of fun: scouts searching out aliens to be blatted in the head by a sniper or marksman.

the clockmaker:

but less obviously, prototype, it seems to get a lot of hate and I just don't get why.

People really hate Prototype? I mean... really?

Too human was an amazing setting, an amazing story, and some glorious set pieces and character design.

The controls were designed by a lobotmised, inbred cockroach however, which killed the game for me. But I loved the setting.

Can't say for sure if Timeshift gets a lot of hate or just gets ignored, but its a game I really enjoyed. Slowing, stopping and rewinding time as part of gameplay was brilliant, it had some great sequences, some interesting combat. Story was average, but mostly it was a lot of fun.

I would agree with Too Human. I really liked the setting and idea, the combat was actully pretty cool early on and I like how you actully felt like a God easily crushing the hordes of weak enemies that your human troops had trouble with before going toe to toe with tougher enemies.
Sadly they failed so hard at making the troops have a presense, they were near useless in combat and were not even there a lot of the time. I didn't even realize they were supposed to have characters or still be alive untill those cutscenes involving them when I went "Woah, these guy's were supposed to be still alive and following me this whole time!?"
I kinda wish that a better sequel would be made since it had a cool setting that I hadn't seen before.

the clockmaker:

Im also a huge fan of Prototype but I didn't realize that it got a lot of hate. It's actully one of my all time fav games.

I liked BRINK a lot actually, but only when played with friends, online.
The AI is too retarded to function in a objective based game.

And i liked Alpha Protocol, it was fun.
Nothing grand, but it was a fun spy game.

Duke Nukem Forever,

Yes it was shit, the jokes were TERRIBLE, the level design was god-awufl, the jumping puzzles blew, the puzzles in general blew, the two weapon limit and regen health were unexcusable.

but for some reason, I still enjoyed it.

Rawne1980:
Duke Nukem Forever.

I love that game.

It's currently sitting underneath the table next to my armchair because one of the legs broke at the end...

Without it that table would have remained wonky (i'm far too cheap to buy a new one).

So I salute you DNF, I slaute you for fixing my wonky table.

This here is next level love, using a game beyond its purpose. I solute you good sir.

the mass effect series.....hehehehe

Why is it that these topics always include games like "Mirror's Edge", "Call of Duty", etc? Some may hate it, but I wouldn't call them universaly reviled!

For some truly despised games that I liked, see:

"Turning Point: Fall of Liberty" and "Legendary"- Spark Unlimited' infamous shooters actually gave me a lot of fun times. They are by no means ambitious, but their unique settings kept me going enough to enjoy the short romp through their campaigns.

"Alone in the Dark: Inferno"- Now this one is a game that many will have played... and still haven't played. The game upon release was a mess. I know, because I bought it for the PC. But later, when the game was long dead, they released the PS3 version, with the added "Inferno" title, which was a better, more polished version of the game, as it should have been originally released. And I enjoyed it thoroughly.

"Naughty Bear"- It's a "Friday the 13th" simulator with teddy bears. Nothing more, nothing less.

"Amy"- This game got crucified upon release, and I still think undeservedly so. If I had payed full price for a AAA release, yeah, I'd have been underwhelmed, but for a 10€ downloadable title, I could do a hell of a lot worse!

Do MW3 and Halo: Reach count? Because I like those.

(breathless from running)

I came as quick as I could, to say Dragon Age 2 and Alpha Protocol. Am I the first one? I....ah crap.

Viking Battle For Asgard.
You roam around various Viking like islands freeing Viking clan members who join your Viking Army in massive Viking battles. You also have Dragons as artillery in the battles.
Yes, it is as awesome as it sounds.

Metroid:Other M

I'll never understand the hatred for this game to be honest.Sure Samus' voice acting was a bit flat and there's a couple of derpy moments(the Varia suit and her reaction to Ridley) but overall I thought it was a pretty good game

Other people have already mentioned Dragon Age 2 and Alpha Protocol so no need for me to go into detail

imahobbit4062:
You roam around various Viking like islands freeing Viking clan members who join your Viking Army in massive Viking battles. You also have Dragons as artillery in the battles.

I wasn't aware there was widespread hatred for Viking.Pretty decent game I thought

MetalDooley:
Metroid:Other M

I'll never understand the hatred for this game to be honest.Sure Samus' voice acting was a bit flat and there's a couple of derpy moments(the Varia suit and her reaction to Ridley) but overall I thought it was a pretty good game

Other people have already mentioned Dragon Age 2 and Alpha Protocol so no need for me to go into detail

imahobbit4062:

I wasn't aware there was widespread hatred for Viking.Pretty decent game I thought

I liked Other M's gameplay, but that's about it.

imahobbit4062:

How is this game hated? Everyone I know who played it, loves it, myself included. I have literaly never heard anyone saying they hate this game.

Tallim:
Bulletstorm :/ I love it but I can see why so many people didn't, the main meat of the game was really chasing the top scores on the Echoes as that was really the only game mode that required you to get to grips with the kill system. I strangely treated each Echo as a puzzle which is far more apt than just a straight shooter and as such I got huge amounts of playtime out of it by analysing each stage and trying to slot all the skillshots together in a lovely display of violence and mayhem.

This. Most fun I've had with a shooter in a long time. Damn all you people who didn't play it and thus denied us a sequel! Damn you all to Hell!

My list:

Silent Hill: Homecoming
Modern Warfare 2
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Splinter Cell: Conviction
F.E.A.R. 2 and 3

dragon age 2 is the obvious one, and id definitely cite lord of the rings- conquest as an example. so it doesn't really tell the lord of the rings story at all well, and the ai is as dumb as a bent nail, but i just love how the 4 different classes play completely differently, and just how many enemies the game squeezes onto battlefields at once for you to battle through. it's a fine follow-up to the star wars battlefront games and yet only got something like 56 on metacritic, it gets an easy 8 from me.

Saints Row 1. It seems to be despised for being too close to GTA in space-time, but I've always enjoyed its cleverness and charm. I've only ever seen animosity for SR1 in online discussions, though. In person people are generally just apathetic in a "I-heard-it-was-pretty-good-but-never-got-around-to-playing-it" sort of way.

I loved BRINK, just a shame connection was dodgy at launch and now no-one plays it :/

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked