Games that you like, that many people hate

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Brink and Haze. they were alright fpss they had some innovation and werent just the same cod game stamped out.

Far Cry 2.

A lot of people say the game has no point.

I think that kind of *IS* the point, seeing as it's about nihilism.

Could it have done with a few less "checkpoints" you have to drive through? Yeah. Was it still fun? Heck yeah.

I'm a fan of Alpha Protocol, I thought it was a really good game. Though the hacking minigames and the cover system were horrendous. I liked Red Faction Guerilla as well, though I don't think people hated that one. I think the general consensus was "meh".

erh splinter cell conviction, in small doses running around like a panther armed with a gun is about as fun as ...well running around like an armed panther. Yes it lost alot of the charm of the earlier games but still, great game.

Silent Hill 4 the room, everyone kept bitching about in Silent Hill threads. I really liked it, clunky controls and a little to much backtracking but the best storyline since SH 2

as other people have mentioned, prototype even though very flawed was a very fun game.

there was also a bunch of very loved games I totally disliked.
Infamous was boring as hell to me
Skyrim is pretty freaking boring to me right now
and New Vegas is also boring the crap out of me even though I enjoyed FO3 and it's expansions for a long time

I quite liked Dragon Age 2 as well. Sometimes even more than Origins. Also Fable (2 on) seems to be getting a bad rap here and there, but I enjoyed them all as well.

I enjoyed Alpha Protocol. Also Cel Damage got horrid reviews and I remember my friends and I had loads of fun wit that game.

Well, I'll join in on the Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 anti-anti bandwagon. The ending of Mass Effect 3 wasn't nearly enough to sink the entire game, and Dragon Age 2 did some pretty great stuff with the main character and the companions, even if I didn't like most of them.

Other than that, I'd say maybe Mirror's Edge? How much hate is that one getting right now? I was pretty fond of the first person parkour.

And I'm going to have to give a big shout-out to Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2. I don't know what the general opinion on it is, but everyone I know who's played it either thought it was mediocre or terrible. I just...I just love super heroes so much, I can't not love this game.

Gears of War. I can see why people hate on it for making the whole "third-person, take cover, space marine" thing, but I like it. It tries, espically in the expanded verse and the third game, to have themes and messages. And the soundtrack and set-pecies? Awesome. If action games were movies, then Gears would be Tron Legacy: flawed, but still good, and still trying to set up and ask something big.

not sure how many people hated it, but Saboteur... don't know what made me enjoy it, but i enjoyed it... but the amount of targets to destroy in free play is TOO DAMN HIGH! just becomes a tedious task if you want to 100% all the acievements

I really loved Final Fantasy 13-2. First final fantasy game I ever completed. It was a big step up from the original in terms of gameplay- the crystarium was a lot better, the monster capturing sections were fun and even though many said it was too easy, I found the difficulty to be perfect (on normal). Just a shame that it was so short, and the ending was absoultely horrible.

I really liked Haze..I can see why others didn't, but I thought it was a decent game

I not only enjoy the following titles:
Final Fantasy VIII
Chrono Cross
Metal Gear Solid 2
Silent Hill 4: The Room
But I will definitively call them good games people absolutely should play.

Also, I am enjoying the gameplay in Xenosaga Ep. I. I've heard positive opinions on story and soundtrack, but mostly negative for gameplay. I actually really dig the combat. It feels like I'm actually employing strategy, and it makes me feel like my scrappy band of heroes is up against an actual threat.

Final Fantasty loves to make you feel like a badass, and I appreciate that, but basically it's an unrealistic level of badassery compared to the stuff you're up against. You regularly slaughter gods with standard sword swipes. Then again, your sword by that point is typically less of a sword and more something that, when you stab with it, injects your enemies with the tears of angels, but still.

There's a place for all things in this medium.

Unsilenced:
Far Cry 2.

A lot of people say the game has no point.

I think that kind of *IS* the point, seeing as it's about nihilism.

Could it have done with a few less "checkpoints" you have to drive through? Yeah. Was it still fun? Heck yeah.

This. I actualy liked driving because it the scenery going past you was breathtaking. And, like most open-world games, it was missing co-op.

Hm...I liked PN03. Even though that was less hate and more overwhelming indifference. And I liked the second Pokemon Colosseum game. Yeah, it wasn't as good as the first one, but it seems like only the very best sequels can ever be considered better than the first.

Definitely Lair, the game was really misunderstood when it first came out. Clearly, the Sixaxis motion controls were less than ideal, but they released a patch that lets you control your dragon with the control sticks, this really made it a much more enjoyable game, and made it closer to Factor 5's other stuff, like the Star Wars Rogue Squadron games.

I liked Too Human.

Yeah I know the gameplay was bad, but the story kept me going and I wish the rest of the series wasn't cut.

thespyisdead:
not sure how many people hated it, but Saboteur... don't know what made me enjoy it, but i enjoyed it... but the amount of targets to destroy in free play is TOO DAMN HIGH! just becomes a tedious task if you want to 100% all the acievements

It was hated? I always heard that it was really good, so I bought it myself. It was a really good game, and I love the black/white transition into colour thing. it was awesome.

Gearhead mk2:
Gears of War. I can see why people hate on it for making the whole "third-person, take cover, space marine" thing, but I like it. It tries, espically in the expanded verse and the third game, to have themes and messages. And the soundtrack and set-pecies? Awesome. If action games were movies, then Gears would be Tron Legacy: flawed, but still good, and still trying to set up and ask something big.

I always thought that Gears 1 was praised, and like the other 2 games I thought they were good, not great, and nowhere near perfect, but what it did, it did well. And chainsawing someone will never get old.

Fallout 3. The hardcore fans think it's the worst in the series, but it's my favorite.

It was far superior to New Vegas in atmosphere and scale.

But the characters in New Veagas were better by a long shot.

neonsword13-ops:
Fallout 3. The hardcore fans think it's the worst in the series, but it's my favorite.

I'll do you one better. I loved Fallout Tactics. Sure, it didn't get the setting quite (or even close to) right, but it is a solid strategy game that is as fun as it is challenging and it uses the SPECIAL system.

Also, I preferred New Vegas too, but Fallout 3 was still great, with the exception of Little Lamplight.

ccdohl:

I'll do you one better. I loved Fallout Tactics. Sure, it didn't get the setting quite (or even close to) right, but it is a solid strategy game that is as fun as it is challenging and it uses the SPECIAL system.

Also, I preferred New Vegas too, but Fallout 3 was still great, with the exception of Little Lamplight.

People liked Tactics, its a fan favorite on the Fallout forums.

It was Fallout: BoS that sucked.

SajuukKhar:

ccdohl:

People liked Tactics, its a fan favorite on the Fallout forums.

It was Fallout: BoS that sucked.

Cool. I've always heard it get hate.

neonsword13-ops:

It was a good game, but it was not a good Fallout game.

I usually play good characters, but the game was, like, "Do you want to be a knight in shining armor, or just spend the next hundred or so hours curb-stomping babies on an assembly line?"

Most of the "evil" options were really just "evlulz," which is not the same at all. Sure it's fun to just fuck with people, but being a brutal utilitarian or iron-fisted dictator type should be valid options too. Not all bad people are the Joker.

Keep in mind, it was pretty much my favorite game ever when I first played it, but after seeing New Vegas I kind of get what was missing.

Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days. I understand the complaints against it and I agree with some of them but still I can't deny that I had fun with it. I thought the camera gimmick was actually pretty well implemented it definitely made the game feel distinct to me. I also liked the story despite an ending that resolved shit all because I liked watching how the psychopathic duo managed to make a particularly bad shitstorm even worse. What I'm saying is that it wasn't the usual "One Man Army Vs. The Forces Of Evil On A Quest To Save The World/Princess/Whatever With A Generic Happy Ending" scenario that I've played in countless other games. It was dark, it was brutal, it was fucked up, it was over the top to the point of absurdity, and despite its many flaws it was unique. Plus the multiplayer was epic!

Deus Ex: Invisible War.

Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, and I really like Dynasty Warrior games.

Duke Nukem Forever, I'm pretty sure everyone forgot what previous Duke Nukem games were like because they sure act surprised when Duke starts being sexist.

Silent Hill Homecoming
Silent Hill 4
Dead Island
Dark Sector
Jericho

Off the top of my head. Most of Team Ninja's games including Other M and Xtreme Beach Volleyball. Also, Dead Space. Everybody critisizes that game for not being scary all the time but that's just not seeing the forest for the trees. Dead Space is really fun and really challenging. The story is good, it looks amazing and the controls are a dream. Maybe people who watch ads thought it was going to be true survival-horror or whatever but I just took it for what it was.

ThePenguinKnight:

Dark Sector
Jericho

I love those games!

Dark Sector is just fun as fuck, that glaive makes it bloody amazing!

As for Jericho, I'm a huge Barker fan, and I like the story and setting a lot.

Most Sonic games that reveiwers and fans alike bashed because of supposedly bad controls and the side characters that were annoying. Then again, I am a massive Sonic fan, so I say that murks up my judgment on that topic a bit. I will say that 06 was definetly the worst one, though the bugs were actually a source of entertainment for me.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I can think of other games that were overrated (ironic considering the above paragraph), but none that I particularly enjoyed that many others consider bad.

Iwata:

ThePenguinKnight:

Dark Sector
Jericho

I love those games!

Dark Sector is just fun as fuck, that glaive makes it bloody amazing!

As for Jericho, I'm a huge Barker fan, and I like the story and setting a lot.

Dark Sector was just shrugged off as being generic, but that doesn't take away how damn fun steering that glaive around was and how cool you felt wearing the suit.

Yeah, I really enjoyed playing the girl who could spot weak points and manipulate time. Found the game very interesting and wish it was popular enough to get a sequel.

Prince of Persia (2008)
The graphics were amazing and the story was great too bad it will never get a true sequel.

Chromehounds, I was sad when they shut the servers down.

Ooo. Links in to a discussion I had earlier. Final Fantasy XIII got a lot of undeserved flak, but I guess I can understand why, I wasn't exposed to Fable 1's hype so I loved that, I have no idea why Black & White 2 is so unpopular, I really loved that, Brink isn't as bad as people make it out to be, it can be quite enjoyable, and my mind's blank so I can't think of any others at the moment.

Captcha: "Oh, lord". Touché.

Edit: I'll go with Silent Hill 4 too, although it was never really 'hated', just not liked much. It's true that it doesn't feel like Silent Hill, but good god is that game brilliant. And easily the scariest in the franchise.

American McGee's Alice and the sequel Alice: Madness Returns.

Yes American McGee's Alice wasn't all that great, the base of it, Wonderland being messed up, had been done plenty of times and Wonderland was already a pretty messed up place. The platforming was like they were made of Ice and Marbles. But there was a enough weapons, enemies, and story to make it interesting.

While Madness Returns was short, in some aspects, had more puzzles and collectibles then action and not much of a storyline, it looked grand graphically and there was enough in it to make it work for me.

But nowadays I hear people hate them both, and I don't mean hate as a term of thinking they don't like what I like I mean HATE it, and I can partially see why. But they worked for me. Plus many of them just dismissed it as bad because it was an "EA title"

I'm sure it isn't completely hated but I live around quite a few people that hate the two titles.

CAPTCHA: Technicolor Yawn... now that does sound very Wonderland-esque.

Mobile Suit Gundam CrossFire is, actually, a fuckton better than everyone has heard. I'd actually argue that the Newtype Magazine's rating of it, which was highly positive, was quite accurate.

Although the western press shitting on it did mean I got it nice and cheap, so there's that.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked