Fallout: Lanius; High Budget Fan Film

So it seems an experienced theatre director is making a Fallout fan film about Legate Lanius

Fan made movies based on video games seem quite common nowadays, but very few are really worth watching. Fallout: Lanius however, looks set to buck that trend by creating a "high production" fan movie based on the Fallout universe. How "high production" are we talking? Well, for one thing, Director Wade K . Savage has actually gotten one of the game's voice actors to reprise their role from the game!

Savage, who is behind the project, is actually an experienced Theatre Director and he appears to be taking this quite seriously.

According to an early press release the movie will be "a blood soaked high concept action epic, which will explore the origin story of the primary antagonist "Legate Lanius" from the 2010 video game "Fallout: New Vegas"."

Actor Mitch Lewis, who voiced Legate Lanius, will actually feature in the movie. Savage has also managed to secure an illustrator and concept artist. His intent is to raise some early awareness of the movie, before undergoing some sort of crowd-sourcing venture towards the middle of the year.

Savage has released the first piece of concept art on his site.

According to Savage the film, titled Fallout: Lanius, will be different from any fan film recorded previously.

"In "Fallout: Lanius" I'll be exploring the fall (or rise) of the man would one day become Legate Lanius." he wrote. "It represents an amazing opportunity to work in a world I love. It's also very different from the current popular Fallout Fan series 'Nuka Break'. Whilst 'Nuka Break' is primarily a comedy, 'Lanius' is altogether different in tone and style."

Sounds intriguing...

Check the link for a piece of concept art. Honestly, I love the idea, and the fact it's being made by a fellow Australian makes me a bit proud. I certainly liked Legate Lanius in New Vegas, he was absolutely brutal but the way you can talk him down implies he possesses a more thoughtful mind than you'd believe at first. Can't wait.

Damn that's awesome! Lanius has one of the sexiest voices in F:NV (still tied with Joshua Graham and Ulysses) Looking forward to it.

TizzytheTormentor:
Damn that's awesome! Lanius has one of the sexiest voices in F:NV (still tied with Joshua Graham and Ulysses) Looking forward to it.

Considering they actually managed to hire the guy who voiced the Legate this is looking to be damn good. I'd recommend checking out "Nuka Break" until Lanius comes out.

Well, Lanius was one of my favourite characters in New Vegas so they better not fuck this up!

I'm curious to see how the "face being ripped off" part of Lanius' life is shown.

He thinks that he can pull it off eh?

We will see how brave you are whe naled to the walls of Hoover Dam, your body facing west so that you may watch your world die.

In all seriousness he has a fair bit of wiggle room to work with. I did a little search and apparenly even among the Legion, Lanius' past is kind of sketchy. One person said that he joined the Legion by single handidly wiping out his entire tribe while another said that he was a Centurion by the age of 12. He can't have done both....could he?

I'll probably check this out when it's done.

Hey Guys,

Thanks very much for the interest in the film. It's a little way off, but I'm making sure to reach out to the fans early. It's really important to us that we make a fantastic film, so we're working really hard to make it happen.

Just like @TizzytheTormentor and @ChupathingyX, I love the Lanius character. That's why I did everything I could to secure Mitch's involvement. We've already started contruction on costumes and props, as well as numerous re-drafts of the script (it all starts with a good script!).

We've been getting some good press, so it's really cool to see people getting excited about the project!

This does look pretty cool. :3 I just hope the young Lanius will have his sweet Burnstache from the game.

OutcastBOS:
This does look pretty cool. :3 I just hope the young Lanius will have his sweet Burnstache from the game.

Well, the Burnstache comes later. ;)

Wade K. Savage:
Hey Guys,

Thanks very much for the interest in the film. It's a little way off, but I'm making sure to reach out to the fans early. It's really important to us that we make a fantastic film, so we're working really hard to make it happen.

Just like @TizzytheTormentor and @ChupathingyX, I love the Lanius character. That's why I did everything I could to secure Mitch's involvement. We've already started contruction on costumes and props, as well as numerous re-drafts of the script (it all starts with a good script!).

We've been getting some good press, so it's really cool to see people getting excited about the project!

Fancy that! Didn't think I'd have Mr Savage seeing this. But this gives me an opportunity to wish you the absolute best of luck with your film, and a promise that if you do use some sort of crowd-sourcing I will happily contribute, as I'm sure numerous others would.

Once it's done we'll have to get the guys at Obsidian to watch it.

Wade K. Savage:

OutcastBOS:

Well, the Burnstache comes later. ;)

Heh, true. I guess even a man as cool as Lanius wouldn't be born with it.

Yassen:

Wade K. Savage:
Hey Guys,

Fancy that! Didn't think I'd have Mr Savage seeing this. But this gives me an opportunity to wish you the absolute best of luck with your film, and a promise that if you do use some sort of crowd-sourcing I will happily contribute, as I'm sure numerous others would.

Once it's done we'll have to get the guys at Obsidian to watch it.

Thanks very much, Yassen.

I'm trying to track what kind of reaction we are getting from Fans. So you may see me about from time to time. :)

We'll be doing a crowd funding campaign mid-year. But for the time being, we are building awareness and ensuring everyone we are up to the job. I've been able to get some notes from the guys at Obsidian (mainly Mr. Chris Avellone). So, here's hoping they dig it when it happens.

that's cool and all

he was just all talk

take of that mask and his face was unscathed

@Vault101 Whoah. Is your Avatar Dog from Footrot Flats in Mass Effect armour? :mindblown:

Wade K. Savage:

We'll be doing a crowd funding campaign mid-year. But for the time being, we are building awareness and ensuring everyone we are up to the job. I've been able to get some notes from the guys at Obsidian (mainly Mr. Chris Avellone). So, here's hoping they dig it when it happens.

It's nice to see you're also keeping in touch with MCA himself. He enjoyed the "Nuka Break" series so I can imagine he'll support yours too.

It's also nice to see you're actually going around and speaking to people, that makes me more interested in this project and I can't wait to see more concept art and costumes.

Thanks @ChupathingyX. The whole point of this film is to make a great fan film by fans for the fans. We really think what the 'Nuka Break' guys have done is fantastic, we are just hoping to do something tonally very different.

In terms of Concept art, you should really check out our Concept Artist Simon Boxer's Blog. He's worked on heaps of amazing stuff: http://facepocalypse.com/

Also, our Graphic Designer Jeff Phillips is one the best upcoming designers around: http://portfolio.jeffreyphillips.com.au/

Very, very interesting. Naturally I recommend kickstarter and all of that, but I'm interested in what sort of tone you're going for? Action linked by story, story linked by action, personal journey and so on? Obviously the script will change a lot, but any hints to the tone we can expect?

Consider me intrigued and waiting anxiously.

Captcha: Little Caesars. The ad wants me to buy pizza that is only very vaguely related to this topic.

Which Lanius is this film going to be about?

bobfish92:
Very, very interesting. Naturally I recommend kickstarter and all of that, but I'm interested in what sort of tone you're going for? Action linked by story, story linked by action, personal journey and so on? Obviously the script will change a lot, but any hints to the tone we can expect?

Very good question. The plot is pretty simple. We are introduced to the man Lanius was when he was apart of the Hidebarks. We learn a little about him, and basically see that he's a man who only lusts for victory. As a character, his only motivation is the destruction of his enemies.

We're going to portray him as someone who even his own people where afraid of. From here, we introduce the Legion threat and the plot rolls into it's finale rebirth/birth of Lanius scenario.

I would say we are linking the plot via action a lot of the time. We don't have huge batches of dialogue or expostion, and I'm trying to do everything visually. I'm only using seasoned actors and stunt professionals, as I want to create a sense of belief in the finished film.

Tonally, it will be subtle, bleak and blood soaked.

Wade K. Savage:

Very good question. The plot is pretty simple. We are introduced to the man Lanius was when he was apart of the Hidebarks. We learn a little about him, and basically see that he's a man who only lusts for victory. As a character, his only motivation is the destruction of his enemies.

We're going to portray him as someone who even his own people where afraid of. From here, we introduce the Legion threat and the plot rolls into it's finale rebirth/birth of Lanius scenario.

I would say we are linking the plot via action a lot of the time. We don't have huge batches of dialogue or expostion, and I'm trying to do everything visually. I'm only using seasoned actors and stunt professionals, as I want to create a sense of belief in the finished film.

Good, I was slightly concered about this as the character is a man of action and if he had been portrayed through a vast dialouge I feel it could have gone very wrong very fast.

The linking of plot via action seems appropriate and it's good to see you're 'admitting' this, as it can been seen as shallow by some because of its general use in films with weak plot carried by the action, naturally I can tell this isn't the case with this project and I'll be happy to see another recent film that does plot via action well and isn't just an excuse to go from setpiece to setpiece. And as for the direct tone; Good, just like New Vegas.

bobfish92:

Wade K. Savage:

Good, I was slightly concered about this as the character is a man of action and if he had been portrayed through a vast dialouge I feel it could have gone very wrong very fast.

The linking of plot via action seems appropriate and it's good to see you're 'admitting' this, as it can been seen as shallow by some because of its general use in films with weak plot carried by the action, naturally I can tell this isn't the case with this project and I'll be happy to see another recent film that does plot via action well and isn't just an excuse to go from setpiece to setpiece. And as for the direct tone; Good, just like New Vegas.

I knew from the onset that this was a tricky character to tackle. So, you kind of need to come at him from a particular angle. The notes I got from MCA really helped put that in perspective. Also, I love the tone of New Vegas, so I really want to capture that in our film.

Hey Everyone,

I've just done a new interview that sheds more light on our film. You can check it out here. http://bit.ly/IcmtQj

It gives more clarification on some things we are dealing with in the film.

ChupathingyX:
Well, Lanius was one of my favourite characters in New Vegas so they better not fuck this up!

I'm curious to see how the "face being ripped off" part of Lanius' life is shown.

I'm not exactly sure, but I think I read that Lanius' face isn't all butchered and that's all talk to scare the legionaries

OT: Quite interesting! Though, I think I'd prefer a film about Caesar cos he seems pretty bad ass in general, (Except for all the slavery and lack of women's right)

Very interesting, I can't wait to hear more of Mitch's voice and I guess we won't be seeing (or only for a short time) the Legion?

I would love to see a film about the formation of the Legion with Edward, Joshua and Bill about their early life, eventual breakup and subsequent formation of the Legion. The creation of the Legion was one of my favourite conversations with Caesar in New Vegas.

ChupathingyX:
Very interesting, I can't wait to hear more of Mitch's voice and I guess we won't be seeing (or only for a short time) the Legion?

I would love to see a film about the formation of the Legion with Edward, Joshua and Bill about their early life, eventual breakup and subsequent formation of the Legion. The creation of the Legion was one of my favourite conversations with Caesar in New Vegas.

Actually, we'll see a bit of the Legion. ;) But, we'll also see a lot of the Hidebarks too. The story is quite contained, so we get a good glimpse of each side of the conflict.

Hey Guys, we've dropped our first Official Images as well as revealed some details about our Cast. Would love to know your thoughts! :)

http://wadeksavage.wordpress.com/2012/06/27/fallout-lanius-cast-details/

Wade K. Savage:
Hey Guys,

How long of a movie are we talking about? 30 min? 60 min? A full feature film? Will Joshua Graham make a cameo?

This looks amazing. I can't wait to see it. You have made me want to play New Vegas again. The Legion were always my favorite faction to side with.

TheOneBearded:

Wade K. Savage:
Hey Guys,

How long of a movie are we talking about? 30 min? 60 min? A full feature film? Will Joshua Graham make a cameo?

The film is 10 minutes long. But, we want that 10 minutes to look like a feature film. It's basically a short film for Youtube. Sadly, no Joshua Graham in this film. I'd like to do a whole film on that guy...

wow looks great! definitely will have to look out for this.

(coming from someone who usually finds all indie/small things to be "bleh" )

Hey Guys!

We've just released our First Promo Video on Youtube. Would love you guys to check it out, subscribe and post your thoughts on the video. Thanks for continued support and interest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ym1EZpCsUE&feature=plcp

Wade K. Savage:
Hey Guys!

We've just released our First Promo Video on Youtube. Would love you guys to check it out, subscribe and post your thoughts on the video. Thanks for continued support and interest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ym1EZpCsUE&feature=plcp

Awesome!
When will we be able to see it?
Using a percentage, how far are you to being done?
Have you heard of Fallout: Nuka Break - the series on YouTube?

Our Crowd Funding starts really soon! We are in heavy Pre-Production at the moment and we hope to release the film on Youtube in early 2013. And yes, we have seen Nuka Break - it's great!

Our Crowdfunding campaign has begun! We made nearly $1000 in our first day! :) We are offering amazing rewards, so be sure to come on by and make a pledge or two! http://www.indiegogo.com/FalloutLaniusFanFilm

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked