Best and worst game A.I

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Topic. What games have the best and worst A.I?

Best A.I has to go to Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. The guards were extremely hard to fool and would actually remember past events. For example, if a guard hears a suspicious noise once, he will warn his partner that he's gone to take a look, then walk over and investigate the area where the disturbance was heard. The guard investigates, finds nothing, and returns to his patrol. The guard then hears another suspicious noise. This time, he asks his partner for backup and pulls out a flare before investigating again. His investigation turns up nothing, but when he turns around he realizes his partner has vanished. The guard then hears another noise and decides to unload his AK-47 on the location of the noise, killing Sam Fisher in the process. The guards also recognize broken locks, disabled lights, missing patrol buddies, opened doors and broken windows. In combat, the guards are just as good. They suppress fire, flank, and sprint around to make themselves hard to hit. If I remember, they also go prone to fire sometime.

The worst A.I in a game is definitely Battlefield 3. The enemy A.I is extremely heavily scripted and will simply walk over to their designated cover spot, occasionally swerving out of cover to attack, completely ignoring the friendly A.I and instead focusing fire all on you. They never flank, never work together and never use grenades effectively. Sometimes, they don't even attack you. That's right, if you walk out of the designated "Combat Zone," the A.I completely ignores you. The friendly A.I is worse, if you can believe it. Of all the bullets they fire, 67% hit the wall in front of them, 25% never fire at all, 6% fire at enemies but miss and 2% actually hit enemies. I'm not exaggerating.

Just watch the A.I in action.

I loved the combat A.I. in F.E.A.R. and F.E.A.R. 2

the enemies felt really clever and caught me by surprise multiple times.

I can't really think of a horrible example.

Halo games have pretty stellar AI. Worst AI is probably a toss-up between Total War and Modern Battlefield: Call of Warfare 3.

Like how BF3 was used an an example. The only way the AI can kill you is by using the knife.

The best A.I. I've ever seen is in the FreeSpace games.

They are surprisingly competent at doing what you tell them to do...

...except for bombing runs.

Even then, they can successfully intercept bombs that are heading towards your capitol ships and seeing over twenty four allied fighters converging on the enemy mother ship never gets old.

best A.I. are in the halo games and DX: HR, very smart and clever A.I.s there, the worst are in mmorpgs, the A.I. is very basic and dumb, doing more than attack anyone who gets in range use abilties, though some mobs are clever at times.

The A.I in Rome Total War is absolutely awful.

The A.I. in Goldeneye was pretty damn bad. hide behind a door while all the guards come to you like a flock of geese waiting to be shot. The game kicked ass so all is forgiven.

Best: Tough to say. I know that I do enjoy how the Ai works in ME3 though I wouldn't necessarily call it out at the best. As showcased in the MP mode, the way the units of each enemy force work so well together is excellent, even if the AI of individual units isn't particularly stellar. Halo is perhaps a better example of enemies that work very well together but also act credibly when alone.

Worst: Fighting game AI is almost always poor but I`ll call out the MK series as being the worst. It`s not even AI at all, it`s pure input reading and then reacting with a set programmed response. If the AI doesn`t beat you, it`s purely because the AI has decided it`s not going to counter your move or you found an exploit the AI wasn`t programmed to deal with.

Black Arrow Officer:
Best A.I has to go to Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. The guards were extremely hard to fool and would actually remember past events. For example, if a guard hears a suspicious noise once, he will warn his partner that he's gone to take a look, then walk over and investigate the area where the disturbance was heard. The guard investigates, finds nothing, and returns to his patrol. The guard then hears another suspicious noise. This time, he asks his partner for backup and pulls out a flare before investigating again. His investigation turns up nothing, but when he turns around he realizes his partner has vanished. The guard then hears another noise and decides to unload his AK-47 on the location of the noise, killing Sam Fisher in the process. The guards also recognize broken locks, disabled lights, missing patrol buddies, opened doors and broken windows. In combat, the guards are just as good. They suppress fire, flank, and sprint around to make themselves hard to hit. If I remember, they also go prone to fire sometime.

That sounds pretty good. Other than that, Half-Life has always had pretty good AI for it's time. In the first game, enemy soldiers took cover and cooperated (although they sometimes did some extremely stupid things, too) and in the second one, I've seen AI showcases where the Combine soldiers actually use real world combat tactics, where they surround enemies and try to split enemy fire. yes, the line of sight issue is really idiotic but still the AI does do some interesting stuff.

As for worst AI...I can't remember right now. There are plenty of bad ones, but I can't remember what the worse one is. Oblivion stands out. I hear they actually had to dumb it down - Radiant AI used to be more advanced but tended to do even more stupidities otherwise.

Best AI - Original X-Com, or Warlords. Both had fantastic AI.

Worst AI - Pre-patch Medieval 2. I could walk a line of archers up, stand 10 feet from infantry, and riddle them with arrows until my quivers were empty, and they'd stand there and take it.

HM to all Civilization and HOMM games, since they cheat like motherfuckers.

BloatedGuppy:

I haven't played Civilisation but yes on HoMM. I just now remembered how much they cheated. Damn, I hated them.

Also, Worms AI. Mostly Worms Reloaded, because that's the one I've played the most recently. The AI can pull off shots a human cannot even dream of. And to top it off, they make it feel like they are mocking you. They time it just right, so grenades always blow up the instant before they fall on your worm's head, for example.

And when they make mistakes, they are so artificially stupid that nobody can look at it and say "yeah, a genuine miscalculation there".

Best: Halo Reach and Gears of War 3. Enemies will work together, spare no expense to advance, and generally behave in a manner that allows them to really ruin a players day on harder difficulties without needing absurd health or über accuracy.

Worst: Skyrim. Well... to be fair there's a lot of work gone into making them move around the world in a proper manner so they probably can't devote as much processing power to the combat AI. But still, it's bad, really bad.

DoPo:

Black Arrow Officer:
snip

That sounds pretty good. Other than that, Half-Life has always had pretty good AI for it's time. In the first game, enemy soldiers took cover and cooperated (although they sometimes did some extremely stupid things, too) and in the second one, I've seen AI showcases where the Combine soldiers actually use real world combat tactics, where they surround enemies and try to split enemy fire. yes, the line of sight issue is really idiotic but still the AI does do some interesting stuff.

As for worst AI...I can't remember right now. There are plenty of bad ones, but I can't remember what the worse one is. Oblivion stands out. I hear they actually had to dumb it down - Radiant AI used to be more advanced but tended to do even more stupidities otherwise.

line of sight is really stupid in half life

rhizhim:

DoPo:

Black Arrow Officer:
snip

Yeah, that's really stupid, as I said. Then again, it could just be brilliant - the AI actually thinks...

Best AI? Killzone 3. They were balls hard in KZ2, but that was also due to the tight corridors. In Killzone 3, the Helghast fight in far more open ground combat sections, and they still keep you on your toes, flushing you out with grenades and charging your cover if you stay too long.

Worst? Empire Total War.

Things fall apart when you realize the AI doesn't know how to form a proper gun line and just runs around like morons before charging you can being slaughtered.

the only one that I can think of from the top of my head was Star Wars Battlefront 2. Wasn't awful, but...
-your allies constantly run in front of you while you're trying to shoot the enemy;
-your allies can't shoot enemies for shit (I've literally see 6 men fail to kill 1 man while he stood in their midst);
-the enemies pretty much shoot you and only you (especially if you're in a vehicle).
-The only survival instinct AI has is grenades, if you throw a grenade unless it's in a small, crowded corridor, the enemy simply rolls away;
-Lastly, the one thing I hate about the space battles is the enemy auto-turrets, which tend to quickly and efficiently shoot you down from miles away.

Worst AI you ask?
I never can loose an opportunity to show this...

Best AI?
The DotA 2 AI seems very good for such a complex game.
the Wc3 DotA AI was good too for a custom map.

Best A.I. i have ever seen?

I would say Half Life 2? They were not perfect, but the enemies would still dodge, attack weakest, surround and overpower, they would deal with threats first, or even run away from danger (grenades and so on).

The worst A.I.?

Definitly Daikatana!!

Best...Halo always impressed me, they got varied tactics and reacted to your attacks.

worst. got to hand it to Metro 2033, man they sucked in a firefight, "lets group together as he throws grenades at us" or "i'm just gonna run between the same two bits of cover (that doesn't help him because i'm standing behind him so i still get a clear shot) and not do any actual fighting". i also call cheat on them detecting me during the stealth bits.

Didn't even know about the line of sight thing in Half Life 2. Still:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWYlMC8z0G8

The AI is definitely some of the best I've seen. The way enemies fought you felt extremely natural. Too bad the final game didn't have any really large scale fights between a big group of rebels and Combine. The segments toward the end usually had you with a group of 3 or 4 fighting maybe 5 Combine at most.

Best? Well, FEAR 1 and the Halo series both have pretty good AI. I was actually impressed with the AI of enemies in ME3 in some parts, as strange as that may sound (especially for a series infamous for awful AI). Also, the combine the HL2 series are generally good as well.

Worst? Most zombie games. The AI in them is quite boring, though that might be the fault of the subject matter, not the programming itself, but eh.

Well i think most have given my examples of best.

Well the first deus ex was pretty terrible. Too many times the enemy would do "the dance" back and fourth,forever. although them running when they had low health was quite good.

The survivor AI in the first dead rising. good god, it was a challenge to get them back in one piece. Constantly having to shout "follow me!" to keep them moving.

Dont even try and give them a weapon, they will stop to fight EVERY SINGLE zombie from where you are, to the safe room.

Ricky 49:
Best...Halo always impressed me, they got varied tactics and reacted to your attacks.

worst. got to hand it to Metro 2033, man they sucked in a firefight, "lets group together as he throws grenades at us" or "i'm just gonna run between the same two bits of cover (that doesn't help him because i'm standing behind him so i still get a clear shot) and not do any actual fighting". i also call cheat on them detecting me during the stealth bits.

Man, those sections drove me up the wall. The stealth weapons did not help at all X)

DoPo:

BloatedGuppy:

I haven't played Civilisation but yes on HoMM. I just now remembered how much they cheated. Damn, I hated them.

Also, Worms AI. Mostly Worms Reloaded, because that's the one I've played the most recently. The AI can pull off shots a human cannot even dream of. And to top it off, they make it feel like they are mocking you. They time it just right, so grenades always blow up the instant before they fall on your worm's head, for example.

And when they make mistakes, they are so artificially stupid that nobody can look at it and say "yeah, a genuine miscalculation there".

Oh gods... Those bazooka shots... I still get these nightmares where I'm hiding in my bedroom and Boggy B curves a bazooka shot through the front door, up the stairs, around the corner and right into my face. Somehow.
Drowning them or getting up close is your only hope.

How exactly does the homm A.I. cheat though? I'm replaying homm 3 at the moment and I've been suspecting foul play for a while now but I have yet to pinpoint what it is. Is fog of war turned off for A.I.? Because it seems like whenever I leave a castle unattended an enemy hero immediatly sets course for it.
Either way, in the campaign, the maps are pretty much cheats by themselves. A one way portal with the exit right next to my main base and the entrance somewhere deep in his territory? Really guys?

I think F.E.A.R. had the best A.I. i have ever seen, and worst, i don't really know, nothing really stans out all that much, perhaps skyrim, climb on a rock and everyone gets confused as ****.

kasperbbs:
I think F.E.A.R. had the best A.I. i have ever seen, and worst, i don't really know, nothing really stans out all that much, perhaps skyrim, climb on a rock and everyone gets confused as ****.

A lot of NPC confusion in Skyrim is caused by a bug in the navmesh system, but even when they do fix that Skyrim has some dumb AI

<-----insta kills a guy with a sneak attack from a bow
guys friend goes "WHAT WAS THAT"
5 seconds later "guess it was nothing"
Guy's friend's dead body sitting 2 feet away from him

The AI in Battlefield: 1942 was amaizingly bad. Oh, a jeep? Lets crash it into a wall. Your wounded and im a medic? CHARGE! Your tank needs repairs? Lets crawl under your tank and die! What fun!

I'd say FEAR 1 had excellent AI. The AI in FEAR 2 was largely the same, but the environments were marginally more linear, so there were fewer opportunities to really feel out matched by them (although the clone arena stands living testament to how devious they can be).
Worst would be the total war games, definitely. The AI in those games are dumb as bricks, using any unit to attack any other unit, and allowing their formations to be completely shattered with a single unit used for luring.

"Tales" games tend to have pretty good AIs for the most part (except for when everyone dies minus you, and you revive the healer, they will get themselves killed trying to revive other party members.)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Rings of Fate had terrible AIs. They were just beyond stupid and I hated them.
On a side note, I dunno what to say about SSBB AIs. They're... efficient, to say the least. Their efficiency will often lead to repetitive spamming of moves that work well at the moment. i.e., if you were battling a lv.9 Zelda and you were thrown off the edge of the stadium, she would use the fireball until you finally heard the explosion. Not alternating between other attacks, just fireball.. If you kept barely final jumping back on screen, she would easily continue to use it 10s of 100s of times.

Skyrim has a TERRIBLE AI, especially if you're sneaking. Heres an animation to describe it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CbxMDRcjoY

SajuukKhar:

kasperbbs:

A lot of NPC confusion in Skyrim is caused by a bug in the navmesh system, but even when they do fix that Skyrim has some dumb AI

<-----insta kills a guy with a sneak attack from a bow
guys friend goes "WHAT WAS THAT"
5 seconds later "guess it was nothing"
Guy's friend's dead body sitting 2 feet away from him

10 seconds later, finds the body "What happened here?!"

DoPo:

rhizhim:

DoPo:

Yeah, that's really stupid, as I said. Then again, it could just be brilliant - the AI actually thinks...

Funny bit of info on the toddler image you put in here. Around 70% of what you see is based on memory so since the child has, as of yet, to create those memories, he/she is unable to comprehend sight the way we do as adults. (AKA: that image may be more correct than you know)

OT:
Best AI for me has to go to F.E.A.R.. When it came out, the AI was so stellar that I was amazed. I spent countless hours on repeat play throughs, just to see the different tactics presented to me one each one.

Worst AI... I am going to say Metal Gear Solid. It was so easy to trick them and evade them that it became a game to go through the game as quickly as possible without detection.

deus ex AI was pretty terrible.i think it is the only 3D game I have ever seen were panicked guards will run into walls for an eternity.not to mention the sneaking.

best.xcom had enemies that seemed to think and make better strategies than I could so ill go with that.

Best: ArmA II
Worst: ArmA II

The reason the AI stands out is that unlike most games they aren't just scripts for specific things, you can make the map and then stick them on there and they'll work as a unit properly: Flanking, fire and menouvre, etc.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6mI410K_ZU

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked