games you hate that everyone seems to love (keep your rage contained!)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Pfft. I don't hate any game. I just don't play games that I don't like. It's as simple as that.

Mass Effect's are 3rd person and the gameplay isn't as good as I'd like.

All MMORPG's. There's nothing I like. RPG absolutely has to be single-player in my books.

Bioshock.

Don't hate it exactly - just never got into it. And I bloody tried. Got bored with the gameplay extremely quickly, so quickly that the story hadn't become interesting enough to keep me going.

skyrim not as amazing as everyone else seems to claim. umm MW 3 i think is held in a bit too high regard if you ask me.

also Bioshock was the big one for me i could never get into it. the combat seemed a bit too clunckly for me also something about the plasmids just didn't have he weight that i wanted. the story though compelling at first seem to just pop in and out i guessed i felt it was poorly paced

non of these games i would say were bad, in fact most i would say are at worst fairly good. just not as great as everyone seemed to claim.

ME 3, I just dont get how people could be excited for this game after how badly they fucked up the story and characters in ME2 in comparison to the original. Well I suppose having good taste is a blessing and a curse. Im unbearable, I know

Zeld under Aonumaa. I love the originals but since Wind Waker every Zelda game comes with enough filler for a dozen crappy MMORPGs.

Bioshock.

I don't like playing a puppet or a character who I want to constantly punch in the face. Oh, a random syringe with mysterious stuff in it? Hey, cool, sure, let's inject it! I know (or so I've been told - stopped playing and uninstalled when I had to murder some guys who, I don't know...*[see below]) that was kind of the point, but it made for a horribly annoying experience and thus it failed completely as a first person game, where I'm supposed to step in some character's shoes: why should I care about any of the stuff happening or why, in fact, should any of the persons there care about anything or merrily continue *whatever they were doing in this mess of a failed societal experiment overrun by killthirsty somethings? What were they doing in that long level designer's corridor anyways which conveyed no whatsoever sensation of having anything behind its walls, let alone a city? Even if I had finished it, I would have perceived the o-ho twist only as an excuse to why I had to endure this crap. I could have added "pretentious" in front of "crap". Which I now can do anyways, knowing the "story".
Having to play a literal rendition of a 1989's game called Pipe Mania every couple of minutes in order to get health and ammunition did not exactly help either.

Should someone ever make a movie adaption, it should be mandatory to have microphones hanging into the picture. Hell, show the director in his chair. Break the 4th wall in most stupid ways.

Call. Of. Duty. I just don't see what people see in this. The games tend to be rather clunky and try to take themselves way too seriously when they're outright ridiculous (Modern Warfare 3 really took the cake, and not just because it wasn't even "Modern"), what with things like regenerating health, clunky design aspects, really low difficulty level and just overall doing nothing for the industry. It doesn't bring anything new to the table and there really isn't anything significant that sets it apart from anything else. I wonder why people think it's so "manly" or "hardcore". It does seem to have some nice characters here and there, some choice music and a few "wow" moments. But, as a game series, it just doesn't seem to work. I did like how you could actually play the main menu of Black Ops, and the arcade was a nice touch. But, I'll stick with something like Geometry Wars. That was worlds better. Maybe, they ought to make a spinoff series or at least one stand-alone game out of "Nazi Zombies".

There are some others that I just don't get the hype about, but still need to truly look into in order to have a solid opinion, like Gears of War and God of War. Again, I don't know a whole lot about them, but, from what I've seen so far, they seem rather underwhelming. Whenever I get the chance, I'll try 'em out to know how they work out for certain, once and for all.

Skirim and Fallout 3. 2 of the most boring games I've ever seen.

Lugbzurg:
SNIP

There are some others that I just don't get the hype about, but still need to truly look into in order to have a solid opinion, like Gears of War and God of War. Again, I don't know a whole lot about them, but, from what I've seen so far, they seem rather underwhelming. Whenever I get the chance, I'll try 'em out to know how they work out for certain, once and for all.

if you can find a cheap price for the first god of war i'd recommend it. I didn't get the charm at all either till I played it. It is of course not the god send it's often made out to be. (it rarely ever is) But it has some fun combat, cool setpieces and lot's of mythologic creatures(which to me was a plus). Also the gore was enjoyable.

PPPPRRRRRROOOOOTTTTTTOOOOOTTTTTYYYYPPPPEEEEEE!!!!!

Seriously, every time this thread comes up again, I will post this answer again. I know its kinda dumb to hate a game, but this game... THIS game...

There are no words to describe how this game makes me feel. When Prototype 2 was announced, I said to someone 'they could make it a million times better than the first one, but it will still be the second worst game of all time'. I just...

For a less mania inducing answer, yes, I agree with everyone who said Half Life 2. That game does not play well, and I am at a genuine loss as to why it garners so much love from the gaming community. Is it Alyx? Is that the answer? Because that is an answer I could understand.

fallout 3 soooo dull and soooo slow

I hate Mass Effect 2. So mediocre it was complete shit. From everything I've heard and seen I'd probably hate 3 as well, even without the shitty ending.
Every Bethesda game I've ever played. That makes Fallout 3, Skyrim and I believe something else I'm forgetting... Anyway, Fallout 3 was the epitome of dull. Words can't describe just how dull that thing was. Skyrim was mediocre and the devs forgot to put in an ending.
Every Call of Duty game. Mainly because of permanent aim assist. There's a ton of issues after that, but that's my number one complaint.
Trine 1 for reasons that escape me.

That's all I'm remembering at the moment.

Metroid Other M. So underhandedly misogynistic it got me to hate it on those values alone.
Duke Nukem Forever. Mediocre to the ninth degree and yet people still went out and bought it.

It's not really hate, but I could never finish a Bioware game other than Sonic Chronicles. Near the ending, it just starts to feel like I'm trudging through a thick swamp to nowhere in particular. I lose all interest in them. It always feels so repetitive and I feel little to no attachment to any of the characters.

Let me explain that last statement. No, I don't hate the characters. I just feel no connection or attachment to them. Considering that interaction with the characters is one of the most important parts of Bioware games, this seriously hampers my enjoyment of them. It's possibly the graphics and animation, maybe the voice acting, or how for the most part my party feels completely interchangeable. Other than maybe a couple skills and some slight stat differences, or a class in the case of Dragon Age, the player can choose exactly what they want their party to be like. For example, at no point in Dragon Age did I say something like "oh man, looks like I'd better bring Morrigan over Wynne" or "Sten over Alistair". This is even a problem in Mass Effect where I never felt like I needed to bring Liara along instead of, like, Wrex even though she's Asari and therefore a powerful Biotic. Perhaps it's because I prefer to play on easier difficulties on account of the fact that I don't find hard games fun (Touhou notwithstanding) that I see little difference in the characters' combat abilities.

Resident Evil 4. The majority of people I know who like the series love it and think it's by far the best game in the series. I don't get it. I don't hate it, but to me it's certainly not the best in the series.

BENZOOKA:
Pfft. I don't hate any game. I just don't play games that I don't like. It's as simple as that.

Mass Effect's are 3rd person and the gameplay isn't as good as I'd like.

All MMORPG's. There's nothing I like. RPG absolutely has to be single-player in my books.

How do you know what you like before you play it?

The Witcher and Dark/Demon souls

Not saying that they are BAD games but they are by no means these epic pieces of perfection that people make them out to be.

neversleep:

Lugbzurg:
SNIP

if you can find a cheap price for the first god of war i'd recommend it. I didn't get the charm at all either till I played it. It is of course not the god send it's often made out to be. (it rarely ever is) But it has some fun combat, cool setpieces and lot's of mythologic creatures(which to me was a plus). Also the gore was enjoyable.

Honestly, I think I'm more interested to see what this "Devil May Cry" thing is all about. That seems to be an action brawler that interests me more. However, I want to start at the beginning. I see that 3-5 have been put up on Steam, but they still have yet to put the first two up!

MrHide-Patten:
Metroid Other M. So underhandedly misogynistic it got me to hate it on those values alone.
Duke Nukem Forever. Mediocre to the ninth degree and yet people still went out and bought it.

In my experience, it seems there are hoards of people who hate these games, and very few who actually like them. As a matter of fact, I've never heard of anyone who actually liked Metroid: Other M, yet. People bought Duke Nukem Forever because they'd been waiting 15 years for it. Plus, his previous major title, which came out about 16 or 17 years ago, Duke Nukem 3-D was one of the most iconic videogames in history. So, they believed that this new outing would be amazing, as well. How were they supposed to know a 15-year-developed game made by five companies derived from one of the most iconic videogame franchises of all time would fall so short?

Any FPS.
Minecraft.
Skyrim.

I don't care if people like them. Just accept that I do not.

Mass Effect the First. Bored me so much with it's drawn out conversations and bad combat mechanics I couldn't be bothered with it or its sequels.

Skyrim...That overhyped Piece of Crap. The underpowered magic and the overpowered melee. The fact that the Civil War questline and the "Main" questline have barely any effect on eachother and most of all which makes me RAGE anytime I play, the fact that if you talk to some one and someone else walks by AND SCREAMS IN YOUR F&$^ING EAR!!!

Minecraft - Meh fun for awhile then it gets dull...

RE5- Played every single Resident Evil up to that point liked them all but your "Spunky Sidekick" in that game is Pants-on-head RETARDED

Call of Mapack - Dull charcters for the tacked on Singleplayer and just annoying

Thats my rant on these games...>.<

Bioshock. I got bored playing that piece of shit game.

SajuukKhar:
The Witcher and Dark/Demon souls

Not saying that they are BAD games but they are by no means these epic pieces of perfection that people make them out to be.

Pretty much what I was thinking; recently anyway.

Admittedly, I haven't played the Witcher games, so I can't really say one way or the other how I feel about them. However, I'll be honest....I've played several games by From Software, including Dark Souls, and still say they can't craft a quality game to save their lives.

Don't get me wrong, if someone loves their games, fine. I'm not gonna bash you for liking something I don't, but don't tell me their brilliant master-pieces. Anyone who looks at them objectively would not say that. :/

I'd have said games like Call of Duty or Mass Effect or something, but I don't really hate Mass Effect (just sorta neutral about it) and Call of Duty is just too obvious a choice. So...stickin' with Dark Souls.

League of Legends/Dota 2. Pretty much all of my friends LOVE either one or another but I just cannot get into them. There is a pressure to do well in the game, I get enough pressure to do well in real life, I don't need that in my leisure activities.

Sean Hollyman:

You know, beyond the amazing art direction, I wasn't that fond of that game either. Still, I'd hardly call it "shit". It was fairly well crafted; just not in a way that "clicked" with me. But, to each their own.

Zachary Amaranth:
Any FPS.
Minecraft.
Skyrim.

I don't care if people like them. Just accept that I do not.

For me, it's not a matter of not accepting that someone likes or dislikes something that I do/don't. I only take issue when someone tells me I'm a tasteless idiot for liking or not liking something they do/don't.

Also...I agree on Skyrim. I might've enjoyed it more if it had more heft to it (big map =/= hefty narrative) and hadn't been so buggy.

Oblivion. It is hard for me to have anything positive to say about that game outside of the concept. It was just so poorly executed, everything is a broken mess.

Vigormortis:

Sean Hollyman:

You know, beyond the amazing art direction, I wasn't that fond of that game either. Still, I'd hardly call it "shit". It was fairly well crafted; just not in a way that "clicked" with me. But, to each their own.

I'm totally not into steampunk and 40s stuff..

And its just- agh.. really hate it..

Braid, BioShock, and pretty much anything made by Bethesda lately (Here's a big open world, I'm gonna take a nap, says the story).

Gears of war 3: Nothing left in the tank to fuel another rant as to why I hate this game.
You play like a tank with legs(yes they literally move like tanks) and suffer from this compulsion to rub up against every flat vertical/horizontal object
Uh, and that abominable pretentious excuse for a story uuugh

God of War 3: What was the point? Were we still supposed like and sympathise with Kratos in that game?

Fable 2?: I was quite shocked to find that it took until Fable 3 for most people to realise what took place in Fable 2.
You know I am still convinced that Fable 2 was just the beta test for 3

Half-Life 2: Now, to be fair, I don't hate or even really dislike this game, I just found it incredibly meh, but I dare not say so most of the time because it seems even by industry standards Valve fanboys will defend their corner like they think they're Gabe's personal guard dog or something.

All annual release sports titles: Again, the games themselves are good at what they're supposed to be. It's just that the people who will pay full price for them, every year, just so the team sheets are all up to date (even though they're going to get changed around as they play the game anyway). I, just, why?

Sean Hollyman:

Vigormortis:

Sean Hollyman:

I can appreciate that. Really. And again, I mostly agree. I was just saying it's not quite true to say the game was bad or poorly made. I mean, I fervently hate every Call of Duty since 4, but I won't say they're poorly made. Lazily made, maybe, but not unskillfully.

Oh, and I'm curious, did you try System Shock 2? The game that very much inspired Bioshock. What were your thoughts on it? (assuming you played, of course)

Goldeneye
WWE Smackdown series
Generally any console FPS
Pokemon (post Gold/Silver)
The Legend of Dragoon

Any game labeled "art". You know the ones: Bioshock, Braid, SotC, Ico, etc.

Okay, that's a little unfair. I don't hate the games; I simply don't like them (yes, there's a difference). This is mainly because I look at gameplay first - if the gameplay fails to grab me and keep me interested, I don't like the game. That simple.

DA:O fits the list as well, but again, that's from a gameplay element.

Vigormortis:

Sean Hollyman:

Vigormortis:

I can appreciate that. Really. And again, I mostly agree. I was just saying it's not quite true to say the game was bad or poorly made. I mean, I fervently hate every Call of Duty since 4, but I won't say they're poorly made. Lazily made, maybe, but not unskillfully.

Oh, and I'm curious, did you try System Shock 2? The game that very much inspired Bioshock. What were your thoughts on it? (assuming you played, of course)

Nope, only heard about it recently in a Guiness Gamers Book of Records.. >.<

Bethesda:
i don't hate them persay, but it would be sad, or muster enough .... feeling? i guess .... to care if i heard they got shut down.
sure they can build big, and pretty worlds to meander through. to bad there's fuck all worth doing. shit story, worse combat controls, least interesting NPCs i've ever seen, far to much not happening in those worlds they're so proud of. 'but its moddable!' who cares, its a ploy to distract you from how shit the game it self is.

Bioware:
i don't hate them ether, but....
for a company who's RPGs are built around choice, and 'epic story telling' i've yet to see ether. choices have no weight, or if they do it's in a very broad sense. the story's are 'meh' at best, nothing happens, even in the 'epic final moments' worthy of note, and i can't really remember anything about any game from them i've played, where as i can remember things about games from 15+ years ago

Valve:
apart from Steam, and Portal, they got nothing of interest for me.

CoD:
i hate it less for what it is, and more for what its done to the industry. because of this game we now how shoe horned in multi-player modes that take away from games the should be single player only.

WoW:
its a dull, hotkey nursing MMO that's not half as good as people say it is, why its still around, let alone took off, i will never understand.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked