Anyone grab Legend of Grimrock yesterday?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

AC10:
If you want to keep a rogue in the back row get Level 12 Assassination. This gives the them ability called "reach" which allows them to attack with any melee weapon from the back row and have it hit. This has the benefit over spears in that daggers are twice as fast.

Llil:
You could try swapping her to the front, making a stab, and then quickly getting her to the back row again. It could work.

Would you happen to know if there's any functional difference between damage types? Like, does a mace do more damage to skeletons, etc?

It's already on my wishlist for both GOG and Steam, probably I'll get it for Steam, I'm an achievement whore :P

I haven't bought it yet, but because I'm broke right now, at the first chance, I'll get it though.

BloatedGuppy:

Would you happen to know if there's any functional difference between damage types? Like, does a mace do more damage to skeletons, etc?

I'm not sure, but I think ice does less damage to skeletons (like usual). Having different types of magic be less effective against different enemies is a pretty standard thing so you'd think that's the case here too. I have no idea about physical damage, though. I haven't been looking at the numbers that carefully anyway.

Got it some days ago, and played some yesterday and today. Don't worry, you'll get the bow on the 4th floor :3 I can't remember if it's hidden though >_> Btw, craaaaaaaaaabs .__. Them be hatin' meeeeeeh!

Hmm A possibility that I will test out later on when I figure out what I am missing on the 3rd floor.

Captcha: face the music, too true. Gotta stop being lazy and try different things out in the game.

YES.

I BOUGHT IT. I AM PLAYING IT IN THE BACKGROUND RIGHT NOW.

IT'S SO... BEAUTIFUL... [shivers and collapses in happy]

Seriously, best purchase I've made all month.

Open the door.

Get on the floor.

Because four skeletons murdered you horribly.

Damn processor requirements...

I was looking forward to this game too : (

Dungeon Master rip offs are usually fun.

BloatedGuppy:

AC10:
Yep! Liking it a lot so far. I started a playthrough on my Youtube channel as well if anyone wants to check out how bad I am at the game.
http://www.youtube.com/user/WeaverTube1?feature=mhee

I bet you didn't get your entire first party killed by a snail while trying to figure out the magic system on the fly.

Because I bet someone was dumb enough to do that. Say, someone who looks and sounds exactly like me.

I had a difficult time figuring out how to cast spells also. During that process I even managed to throw the scroll and dealt damage for it.

How do I cure poison from the spiders?

Prometheus2112:

Make an antidote. Before you get to the spiders there was a bag with an alchemy kit and a scroll with two recipes, for health and antidote potions.

Thanks, figured it out, somehow I screwed up now and there are spiders everywhere. Places where I cleared them out before. I slept and now the entire level 3 dungeon is infested. Dozens of them, everywhere I go.

Prometheus2112:

Resting will heal more damage than is inflicted by the poison. So a good long sleep will cure the posion eventually. Handy way to save the antidotes for tricky fights.

I am enjoying it a lot more than I expected. Had to restart after my Minotaur tank was killed by a spider (Freaking spiders. 3rd level is seriously pissin me off). Now I have an all human group with a Sword wielding meatshield tank and a bare handed armored brawler in the front line and a rogue and mage in the back providing long range help.

But seriously I hope to never see another spider.

Also I can't wait for the user made content.

Maybe this changes as you level up, but at low level protection tanks seem a lot weaker than evasion tanks. Still got my fingers crossed that my ax-wielding Minotaur headhunter will get good later, though. Now he has an axe and seems to be actually killing stuff more often.

Finally got through the spiders and at the end of the level. There is a door that requires a gold? key. Next to the room where the blue life stone is. I have searched everywhere for this key, can't find it.

BloatedGuppy:

Therumancer:
Well, "Bard's Tale: Tales Of The Unknown" and "Wizardry: Proving Grounds OF the Mad Overlord" were pretty much the first games of their sort, and were impressive largely for their similation of PnP RPG mechanics, arguably having little to them other than numerical combat simulation and some fairly basic puzzles, many of which were basic riddles that had their answers written down in other places in the dungeon. The early installments have not aged well.

No, they haven't. I played them when they were new, and they're amongst my favorite classic games, but even nostalgia isn't getting me over the hump any more. I wanted the game play STYLE, though, and Grimrock is delivering. Although, as you say, it's much closer to EOTB or DM, the broad strokes are the same. I do wish the game had a few more classes though, there's a paucity of options. But I can't really complain at $13.

One golden oldie I want to see resurrected is Legacy of the Ancients. I loved that game, and it was unique/weird enough that it never really had a spiritual successor.

I'm glad I'm not the only one on these forums old enough to remember these games.

Actually the sequel to "Legacy Of The Ancients" was "Legend Of Blacksilver" which I believe even takes place in the same world, but it's been a while. Still crazy old though.

Prometheus2112:
Finally got through the spiders and at the end of the level. There is a door that requires a gold? key. Next to the room where the blue life stone is. I have searched everywhere for this key, can't find it.

The gold key popped out of nowhere for me, when I killed a spider. I had no idea where it came from.

I'm battling through level 4. It's good to have a more puzzle-based level after the spider hell of level 3. I hate spiders.

Yes, picked it up last night off Steam... excellent game, very reminiscent of Ultima Underworld 1&2, Wizardry Series (which predates the Elder Scrolls), and the Might and Magic series... It does what it does well, without trying to be anything more than it is.

In that... one word.

Classy

If I wanted more game, it would cost more money... it is an awesome buy at 13.49 $ US.

As far as a bow? Yeah there is one (at least in my game) that was hidden... once you start seeing arrows there is a bow somewhere on the level. Just search around.

Blood Brain Barrier:

Prometheus2112:

The gold key popped out of nowhere for me, when I killed a spider. I had no idea where it came from.

I'm battling through level 4. It's good to have a more puzzle-based level after the spider hell of level 3. I hate spiders.

Yeah I finally found it on the floor after searching. The only way I could get those spiders was to find a room that I could close a door to so my team could heal up. Go back out , lure them back to the door entrance and fight them one at a time. Time consuming and tedious but sure beats trying to take them on all at once or being chased and/or trapped.

mfeff:
Yes, picked it up last night off Steam... excellent game, very reminiscent of Ultima Underworld 1&2, Wizardry Series (which predates the Elder Scrolls), and the Might and Magic series... It does what it does well, without trying to be anything more than it is.

Since these guys nailed the Dungeon Master clone so perfectly, I'm hoping they go for an Ultima Underworld clone next time. Pretty much the only things that game spawned were the TES games and Arx Fatalis (and System Shock 1, I guess, but that has a lot of obvious differences). I'd kinda hoped that sub-genre would have been more successful. It's time to bring it back.

Anyway, still loving the game so far. Really getting my ass kicked by the spiders.

It looks interesting, and I saw that it is on Steam for 10% off, which I find weird since it just got released two days ago.

But, as these things go, I have a pitiful PC that hates gaming. If I can get a job sometime in the next century, then I'll get a nice gaming PC. My PC is approaching 3 years old, though back then it was basic and can't run anything that has the slightest bit of somewhat fancy graphics. The only thing it can run is old MMOs, new games that purposefully have dated graphics, so basically casual puzzle games(I did buy Tidalis when it was on sale a couple weeks ago, so that's about the extent of what my PC can run.)

ResonanceGames:

mfeff:

Since these guys nailed the Dungeon Master clone so perfectly, I'm hoping they go for an Ultima Underworld clone next time. Pretty much the only things that game spawned were the TES games and Arx Fatalis (and System Shock 1, I guess, but that has a lot of obvious differences). I'd kinda hoped that sub-genre would have been more successful. It's time to bring it back.

I'd prefer a more party-based game. There aren't enough of those games around, and Dragon Age and Final Fantasy don't do it for me.

Eye of the Beholder had 6 party members! All controlled by you! That's pretty awesome, and much more involving than controlling a single character. You have to think about creating a balanced party.

Yes I picked it up. It is a decent game.

I bought it a while ago. Just been waiting for it to unlock on steam.

Been playing it... the story is really bare bones and thats the only reason I really play rpgs. I think Im just going to never finish it

i so need to get this. eye of the beholder on crack :D

Stilt:
Been playing it... the story is really bare bones and thats the only reason I really play rpgs. I think Im just going to never finish it

Wrong rpg sub genre.

Try this one instead.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/planescape_torment

http://www.gog.com/en/news/mod_spotlight_planescape_torment_mods_guide/

Blood Brain Barrier:

ResonanceGames:

mfeff:

I'd prefer a more party-based game. There aren't enough of those games around, and Dragon Age and Final Fantasy don't do it for me.

Eye of the Beholder had 6 party members! All controlled by you! That's pretty awesome, and much more involving than controlling a single character. You have to think about creating a balanced party.

Grimrock IS party-based. But yeah, I'd also really like to see someone take this engine and make a turn-based game like Eye of the Beholder.

ResonanceGames:

Blood Brain Barrier:

ResonanceGames:

Grimrock IS party-based. But yeah, I'd also really like to see someone take this engine and make a turn-based game like Eye of the Beholder.

You mean like Wizardry. Eye of the Beholder was a real time blobber, just like Grimrock, no ?

Anthraxus:

ResonanceGames:

Blood Brain Barrier:

You mean like Wizardry. Eye of the Beholder was a real time blobber, just like Grimrock, no ?

Yeah, I worded that badly. EoB isn't fully turn-based, but it has much greater cooldown and a slower pace, so you have time to think more about what you're doing.

A true Wizardry-style game in this engine would be even better though, now that you mention it. That's something we REALLY haven't seen in years.

AC10:
Yep! Liking it a lot so far. I started a playthrough on my Youtube channel as well if anyone wants to check out how bad I am at the game.
http://www.youtube.com/user/WeaverTube1?feature=mhee

I am really enjoying your playthrough, I wasn't sure what to think as I have never played through an oldschool grid type rpg before, but woah does it look fun. I can see how it might not be for everyone, but I might be buying this now. I enjoy the slower more thoughtful pace you play in.

You have a great personality and voice for doing Lets Plays, keep up the great work, I subscribed to your channel! :)

BloatedGuppy:
And if so, how are you liking it?

I puttered around to the third level, and only really stopped because the playoffs were on. I was having a blast. It's lovely, clean interpretation of old school dungeon crawlers like EOTB and Dungeon Master. I half wanted to bust out some graph paper, for old times sake.

Not sure about my party, though. Three of my guys are alright (especially my spellcasting bug...does this game have some esoteric races or what?), but I'm unsure about my fistfightin' Minotaur. He's a big bag of hitpoints, whose primary role in the party appears to be groaning in dismay as he's pounded to death by snails.

Also, I'm a little disappointed that I still haven't found a bow. Have you found a bow? Why can't I find a bow? I'm tired of throwing rocks.

I'm talking to myself, aren't I? No one else is playing this yet.

There is a bow early on, maybe you just missed it? Not sure if it's on level 3 or before that.

Anyway, great game so far. Quite difficult, too.

ResonanceGames:

Blood Brain Barrier:

ResonanceGames:

Ultima Underworld isn't party-based. I was talking about games I want based on the Grimrock engine. The two remakes I have in mind are Menzoberranzan which had a bad interface, and Descent to Undermountain which was extremely buggy and got terrible reviews when it first came out. But both are set mostly underground and are party-based which make them suitable for the Grimrock engine. I think Menzoberranzan had 6 party members so I think it might need to be turn-based - imagine trying to select runes for 2 or more mages while attacking with your other 4 members in real time!

Blood Brain Barrier:

ResonanceGames:

Blood Brain Barrier:

Ultima Underworld isn't party-based. I was talking about games I want based on the Grimrock engine. The two remakes I have in mind are Menzoberranzan which had a bad interface, and Descent to Undermountain which was extremely buggy and got terrible reviews when it first came out. But both are set mostly underground and are party-based which make them suitable for the Grimrock engine. I think Menzoberranzan had 6 party members so I think it might need to be turn-based - imagine trying to select runes for 2 or more mages while attacking with your other 4 members in real time!

Ah, gotcha. I'd actually be down for a Menzoberranzan remake. It was a very flawed game, but I think there's potential there.

The great thing about Grimrock is that they seem to be planning on mods and expansions, so I'm hoping a lot of good stuff will pop up.

Never played Descent to the Undermountain.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked