42.6% (303)
No
48.2% (343)
48.2% (343)
Other
8.3% (59)
8.3% (59)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Are gamers today too self entitiled?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

I have noticed just recently that a large number of gamers seem to complain alot about many things they feel they are entitled to. For example a better ending for Mass Effect 3 and just recently the removal/alternative to Games for Windows Live for the PC release of Dark Souls. I know that the ending for ME was pretty bad and there are many threads out there discussing that, but this is not about that.

Whenever anything that people don't like is announced or found there always seems to be a massive uproar about it with petitions and many angry posts flying over the internet. This is by no way a new thing but just recently its exploded in popularity.

TLDR- Are we as gamers too self entitled today or are we right in demanding things be changed just because we don't like it?

I think its alright to complain about some things such as witheld game content but I don't think its right to demand that a developer change their games story just because people don't like it.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I just started a thread about this, but there is no doubt in my mind that we are far too entitled.

AnarchistAbe:
Yes! Yes! Yes!

I just started a thread about this, but there is no doubt in my mind that we are far too entitled.

Glad someone agrees, great minds think alike eh?

For the most part, no. The concerns are legitimate. People see gamers acting like consumers of any other product, and ddcide that they're all self-entitled little twerps.

Anyone who starts an "Entitlement" thread needs to take a shot every time the word "Entitlement" comes up on these forums.

Should kill em off quick.

DustlessDragoon:

AnarchistAbe:
Yes! Yes! Yes!

Indeed. It also strikes me as funny that Dark Souls got an internet petition to be made. Then, when gamers get what they wanted, they aren't happy with the way it's being done. So, a new petition, to change the game they're getting because of a petition (which hasn't been released yet), is now circulating.

How can you say that we aren't being entitled?

ResonanceSD:
For the most part, no. The concerns are legitimate. People see gamers acting like consumers of any other product, and ddcide that they're all self-entitled little twerps.

Name me one other product where the consumers are as vocal and obnoxious as gaming.

AnarchistAbe:

DustlessDragoon:

AnarchistAbe:
Yes! Yes! Yes!

Indeed. It also strikes me as funny that Dark Souls got an internet petition to be made. Then, when gamers get what they wanted, they aren't happy with the way it's being done. So, a new petition, to change the game they're getting because of a petition (which hasn't been released yet), is now circulating.

Exactly, you'd think we'd just be happy that we got what we wanted but no, we have to go and ask for even more, it's going to get to a point where devs are going to have to get permission from the community to put something in their game before they actually can just so they can avoid the flood of outrage.

Given recent developments, how can anyone say that gamers aren't entitled?! It's the one medium where the people making the products listen and respond to the community, and all we do it bitch, moan, complain and demand.

Sometimes, but in the situations you've mentioned?

The ME3 ending was fucking awful.

People deserve to play Dark Souls using a system that doesn't completely break the game.

AnarchistAbe:

ResonanceSD:

Name me one other product where the consumers are as vocal and obnoxious as gaming.

Star wars, firefly, star trek,

The original great expectations ending was changed due to the outcry, then changed back

Sporting teams/franchise fans

Ios/android fans

Obnoxious? I think you just insulted everyone ln this website. Remember, no one is forcing you to be here or play games.

When I buy a product, I expect it to work as advertised, be of a similar quality to similar products I have purchased at a similar price, and not have any unforeseeable problems.

If the product does not do these things, then I, as a consumer should:

- Inform the manufacturer of the product why I wasn't satisfied with the product

- Advise other consumers to not purchase said product

- Take my business elsewhere

This applies to everything, including games. Unfortunately, gamers are really good at the first to things, but not very good at taking their business elsewhere. So, if anything, gamers aren't acting entitled enough.

Although the Mass Effect 3 ending thing is ridiculous, but that's less of entitlement and more of gamers not having their priorities straight.

No they are not. I see why some people may view those complaining about GFWL on Dark souls as entitled but not everyone has had to use that program.

I wouldn't say they are too entitled. They really are not. Gamers complain a lot because we get screwed a lot, there is a feeling of antagonism between gamers and developers so we complain a lot.

Complaining a lot does not make you entitled.

How is being against GFWL and asking them to change it or just saying you might not buy because of it "entitiled"?
It's a shit service, you have to jump thru hoops to use it, it fucks up saves, it often takes me several tries to even log into it, it has connection problems (and dark souls is suppose to played online), has issues updating which can lead to you being locked out of your game, it slows games down and its support is horrible so obviously people are going to want it changed and having it is going to reduce how much people want the game or are willing to pay for it. A petition is the easiest way to show alot of people have an issue with it. It's the devs choice if they want to do anything about it but they might lose sales if they don't. Games are not gifts, it is a product you pay for so there are expectations.

DustlessDragoon:

AnarchistAbe:

DustlessDragoon:

Exactly, you'd think we'd just be happy that we got what we wanted but no, we have to go and ask for even more, it's going to get to a point where devs are going to have to get permission from the community to put something in their game before they actually can just so they can avoid the flood of outrage.

I just made this analogy on another thread. It pertains to this.

"It'd be like me not having enough cookies, and you not having one. I go bake you a special cookie that takes up a lot of my time and effort. Then, you decide that I didn't use the right chocolate chips in my cookie, and you throw it in my face. Isn't that a bit of a dick move?"

BloatedGuppy:
Anyone who starts an "Entitlement" thread needs to take a shot in the crotch every time the word "Entitlement" comes up on these forums.

Fixed that for you. Especially the ones who don't seem to know what the word means, and are just playing buzzword bingo. Not mentioning any names, of course...

ResonanceSD:

AnarchistAbe:

ResonanceSD:

The original great expectations ending was changed due to the outcry, then changed back

Ios/android fans

Obnoxious? I think you just insulted everyone ln this website. Remember, no one is forcing you to be here or play games.

OH MY GOD! YOU JUST PROVED MY POINT!!! Those were all nerd-centric (besides sports). Think about it. Nerds and sports fans are now on the same level of annoying bitching over NOTHING.

I feel we should be entitled to people using the search bar :(

targren:

BloatedGuppy:
Anyone who starts an "Entitlement" thread needs to take a shot in the crotch every time the word "Entitlement" comes up on these forums.

Fixed that for you. Especially the ones who don't seem to know what the word means, and are just playing buzzword bingo. Not mentioning any names, of course...

I dunno why but I get the feeling that was directed at me...

Don't you think that was a bit uncalled for anyway? I'm just expressing my opinion on the topic and all you've done is come here and insult it instead of contributing to the topic itself.

AC10:

I haven't seen a search bar comment in such a long time, thank you for taking the time to comment that instead of contributing to the discussion.

DustlessDragoon:

I dunno why but I get the feeling that was directed at me...

Considering the dozens upon dozens of posters who have made the exact same thread with the exact same "reasoning" (and I use that term very loosely), that have all been debunked in hundreds of posts, I'm comfortable asserting that you really shouldn't be feeling singled out. Don't worry.

Don't you think that was a bit uncalled for anyway? I'm just expressing my opinion on the topic and all you've done is come here and insult it instead of contributing to the topic itself.

There's nothing to contribute to the topic that wasn't done the first time the first industry cheerleader parroted this twaddle, months and months ago.

The word entitlement has no meaning anymore in the gaming community. It is now just the go to word in order to try and shut up gamers into not voicing their opinions anymore. The stigma attached to the word itself after ME3 is far stronger than the actual meaning of the word.

AnarchistAbe:
"It'd be like me not having enough cookies, and you not having one. I go bake you a special cookie that takes up a lot of my time and effort. Then, you decide that I didn't use the right chocolate chips in my cookie, and you throw it in my face. Isn't that a bit of a dick move?"

That might be the worst analogy I've ever heard.

In actuality, it would be like you running a business. A cookie baking business. You create and sell cookies for a profit. I'm a long time customer who is a fan of your chocolate chip cookies. I order your latest chocolate chip cookie, only to find after eating it you decided to make it oatmeal raisin instead, because you thought that would be more interesting. I complain, and you call me entitled. And then you ask me to buy some DLC raisins.

I love how you think the creation of video games for profit is a loving gesture performed out of pure altruism. Honestly, the ideas people get on these forums are just flat out mind blowing sometimes.

AnarchistAbe:
OH MY GOD! YOU JUST PROVED MY POINT!!! Those were all nerd-centric (besides sports). Think about it. Nerds and sports fans are now on the same level of annoying bitching over SOMETHING I DON'T PERSONALLY CARE ABOUT.

Fixed that for ya. World doesn't revolve around our interests and opinions, however much we might want it to. What other people care about and assign value to is none of our business.

AC10:

I'd totally sign that petition.

Gamers are acting like grown up consumers of actual products? Call them entitled!

Smeggs:

AnarchistAbe:

ResonanceSD:

Ios/android fans

OH MY GOD! YOU JUST PROVED MY POINT!!! Those were all nerd-centric (besides sports). Think about it. Nerds and sports fans are now on the same level of annoying bitching over NOTHING.

You may want to add to that before you get a low content warning.

I did a minute ago. And then again about ten seconds ago.

I hadn't meant to post it as just the image.

Smeggs:

AnarchistAbe:

ResonanceSD:

Ios/android fans

RED ALERT! I WANT ALL HANDS ON DECK; DOUBLE-TIME! OUR SHIELDS CAN'T DEFLECT BULLCRAP OF THIS MAGNITUDE!

Why is it, that every time someone has an opinion different than the majority, they are a troll? I'm not trolling, I'm just pointing out the hypocritical nature of your arguments.

AnarchistAbe:

Smeggs:

AnarchistAbe:

RED ALERT! I WANT ALL HANDS ON DECK; DOUBLE-TIME! OUR SHIELDS CAN'T DEFLECT BULLCRAP OF THIS MAGNITUDE!

Why is it, that every time someone has an opinion different than the majority, they are a troll? I'm not trolling, I'm just pointing out the hypocritical nature of your arguments.

Because you threw that previous comment out without seemingly any forethought as to the site you were posting on? And what is hypocritical?

I'm not one of the PC gamers who started some petition for Dark Souls. You're attempting to lump millions of people under a single categorization and say they're all the same.

AC10:

DustlessDragoon:

AC10:

I haven't seen a search bar comment in such a long time, thank you for taking the time to comment that instead of contributing to the discussion.

Well, we had this one yesterday
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.366657-Buzzword-of-2012-Entitlement

Then all these
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.360252-Gamer-Entitlement-and-the-PC
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.357146-Entitlement?page=1
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.307150-I-am-so-sick-of-entitlement?page=1
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.354296-Poll-Gamer-Entitlement
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.285168-Overuse-of-the-word-Entitlement

I just feel there's nothing left to add to the discussion.

Okay fine but I if I post in one of those threads I can guarantee pretty much nobody will read it and then I wouldn't be able to discuss it myself, if I make a new thread my post will be read and I can then partake in discussion about the topic. Having to use a search bar everytime I think of something to post is a waste of time.

Okay everyone apparently feels strongly about this subject and the discussion seems to have fizzled into fighting so can we please get back on the subject or just stop posting hateful things, thanks

DustlessDragoon:
Okay fine but I if I post in one of those threads I can guarantee pretty much nobody will read it and then I wouldn't be able to discuss it myself, if I make a new thread my post will be read and I can then partake in discussion about the topic. Having to use a search bar everytime I think of something to post is a waste of time.

If no one discusses it with you, no one discusses it with you. It means they're bored of it. I think you're missing the point of a "discussion forum". It's not to keep talking, as loudly as you can, in an attempt to force people to change the conversation towards something more to your liking.

Post in existing threads, please.

Actually don't. Just stop talking about entitlement already. You people have murdered a perfectly serviceable word. It's worse than Arrow to the Knee jokes at this point.

*facepalm* I'm not even a brony and I prefer pony threads over these.

My answer: No. The gamers may be an unpleasable lot, but most of their grievances are legitimate.

BloatedGuppy:

DustlessDragoon:

If no one discusses it with you, no one discusses it with you. It means they're bored of it. I think you're missing the point of a "discussion forum". It's not to keep talking, as loudly as you can, in an attempt to force people to change the conversation towards something more to your liking.

Post in existing threads, please.

Actually don't. Just stop talking about entitlement already. You people have murdered a perfectly serviceable word. It's worse than Arrow to the Knee jokes at this point.

"I used to be entitled like all gamers are everywhere, ever, but then I took an arrow in the knee."

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked