EA steals from Games Workshop

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-12-ea-accused-of-copying-warhammer-40k-tanks-for-command-and-conquer-tiberium-alliances

Look at these "new" tanks for Command and Conquer

It's not even funny about how they're almost the exact same thing.

Wow, that's nuts. Unless gw allowed it, that's copyright infringement there =D

Well, at least they're earning that Worst Company in America award. I didn't quite think they deserved it before, but they're getting there now.

I hope they get the ever-loving hell sued out of them.

They... can't be serious? Thats very nearly a carbon copy XD

Unless they got permission, which i doubt because games workshop are VERY protective over their stuff.

epic facepalm

seriously EA! WTF

Man, it's like they practically took at 3D scanner to some old warhammer.

And the logo for The Forgotten is totally a ripoff of the Zora Sapphire:

Stoopid grots, copyin da orks. Dey kant even do it propah, dose tanks need bigga gunz. doze look like humie tanks.

Also, ain't dis da game dey slapped Biowarez name on?

Smeggs:
I hope they get the ever-loving hell sued out of them.

They will. Warcraft/Starcraft aside, Games Workshop love nothing more than to sue the tits out of anyone who use their stuff without their permission. Warhammer is all they've really got, so you can understand why they'd be protective of it.

As was mentioned on Rock, Paper, Shotgun, it's probably not EA to blame here. One of the designers probably got lazy, decided to steal a few old-school tank designs from GW, and none of the higher ups knew enough of their 40K lore to be able to spot them. This isn't the same concerted effort from EA to be evil as rushing out ME3/DA2 was.

Whoever the designer was, I hope he gets sacked. And EA should perhaps have been quicker to spot the Baneblade at least, iconic as it is among tank aficionados. As it is, GW will probably take them to court and get a decent settlement out of it. God knows those tanks are pretty much identical.

Woohoo! Legal troubles for EA. Maybe. Hopefully.

Dammmmmn, don't even need Inquisitors to draw out this heresy.

Someone is going to be fired.

EA were counting on them being "forgotten" designs.

Never mind that these tanks have nothing to do with previous Command & Conquer canon. This is a new low. Tiberium Alliances will probably be worse than Tiberium Twilight. And that's a difficult endeavour.

MammothBlade:
EA were counting on them being "forgotten" designs.

Never mind that these tanks have nothing to do with previous Command & Conquer canon. This is a new low. Tiberium Alliances will probably be worse than Tiberium Twilight. And that's a difficult endeavour.

The worst part to that is if they consider the Baneblade a forgotten design. This isn't the Dark Age of Technology People, the Baneblade hasn't changed that much!

I am personally willing to give reasonable doubt with the bombard tank since it seems to just draw from the same original inspiration and draw a very similar conclusion.

But the Grinder tank kinda throws that out the window. Someone ripped it off and no1 noticed it. Either someone didn't check up on this or the wrong people are in charge of green lighting this stuff. Either way some1s head will roll for this.

This calls for the Inquisition's seal of disapproval!
Given how protective Games Workshop is over their IP, I can't imagine that they'd let something like this slide. Hell, they've shut down nonprofit, fan-created websites and game mods, so you can bet they're not going to stand for something like this.

We all know how protective GW is over their IP, if they haven't given consent to this then EA will be biting the pillow as GW shaft them.

Draech:
I am personally willing to give reasonable doubt with the bombard tank since it seems to just draw from the same original inspiration and draw a very similar conclusion.

But the Grinder tank kinda throws that out the window. Someone ripped it off and no1 noticed it. Either someone didn't check up on this or the wrong people are in charge of green lighting this stuff. Either way some1s head will roll for this.

I think you got it mixed up friend. The Baneblade looks like an absolute intentional rip-off, right down to the little window slots and bolts.

I kinda doubt EA did this intentionally. There was probably just some lazy designer who ripped off the designs and hoped nobody would notice.

Still I hate EA so I hope they get the hell sued out of them. This is EA though, so im interested in seeing how they will go about making this worse. You know they will find a way to make an even bigger mess of this, they always do. I wonder what will happen.

Well I expected the newest addition to the poorly treated C&C franchise to be bad, but I didn't expect copyright infringement.

Have they further ruined Command and Conquer by adding 40K shit to it? Ergh.

ChaplainOrion:

Draech:

I think you got it mixed up friend. The Baneblade looks like an absolute intentional rip-off, right down to the little window slots and bolts.

It is the logical conclusion from the source material. It is clear to see the original inspirations in the Baneblade from the Mk VII. I am willing to to give the doubt it might have been the same inspiration. It does however become highly unlikely since it is lightning striking twice. Especially since the bonecrusher is fairly original.

You people need to stop with the witch hunt, EA isn't stupid to do this intentionally.

"Do not attribute to malice what can be better explained by incompetence."

Sounds like outsourced art issue and the contact person at EA or Phenomic isn't a Warhammer player.

Heck, I've dealt with contract/outsourced people and studios before and often trip over situations like this where they'd take models from TurboSquid or take a celebrity photo and paint over it.

Dansen:
Someone is going to be fired.

This.

That said, the game is only in beta, so surely a cease and desist/EA demanding Phenomic change the models is how this will play out? Unless EA really are batshit crazy and contest that there's a problem here.

ThriKreen:
You people need to stop with the witch hunt, EA isn't stupid to do this intentionally.

Sounds like outsourced art issue and the contact person at EA or Phenomic isn't a Warhammer player.

Heck, I've dealt with contract/outsourced people and studios before and often trip over situations like this where they'd take models from TurboSquid or take a celebrity photo and paint over it.

Hanlon of course works, but I still think "dis gonna be gud"...

But, just to throw it out there, there's also the matter of "Not that stupid, maybe, but they are that arrogant." Honestly, I couldn't care less, I just find this entire thing rather amusing...

We'll see how it turns out...

And here I thought we were going to complain about space marine/tyranid similarities :P. That doesn't even look accidental, it looks like a freaking re-skin. Also, EA isn't to blame here. It's the lazy person that made these 'forgotten' tanks.

ThriKreen:

-snip-

I don't know, it's only April and they've already committed fraud and used bots to sign their own petition in order to earn gay rights support towards their games. I honestly don't think their stupid, I am pretty sure they are evil though. I think who ever said they thought no one would notice might have the right idea.

The funny thing is Dawn of war is ten times better than C&C.

I really don't see what the issue is, sure it's pretty lazy of EA, but Games Workshop can hardly lay claim to such things. If you honestly think they should be sued, then you're out of your mind. How about if every car company sued each other because every car looks about the same?

Regnes:
I really don't see what the issue is, sure it's pretty lazy of EA, but Games Workshop can hardly lay claim to such things. If you honestly think they should be sued, then you're out of your mind. How about if every car company sued each other because every car looks about the same?

You do know that GW has copyright on every single one of it's pieces?

They have taken fans to court and had fan sites shut down for less.

Google what they did to Blizzard and where Warcraft actually came from.

Of course they are going to sue them, it's what GW does. It protects it's IP like it's going to run off with the first person that smiles at it.

Regnes:

That's an enlightened approach and i agree copyright laws hurt society as a whole more than they help anyone, but they do exist and you and i both know that if anyone else had done the same to EA, EA would grow and cut down a rain forest for all the lawsuits they would be filing.

Neverhoodian:
This calls for the Inquisition's seal of disapproval!
Given how protective Games Workshop is over their IP, I can't imagine that they'd let something like this slide. Hell, they've shut down nonprofit, fan-created websites and game mods, so you can bet they're not going to stand for something like this.

There's only one solution to all of this

Wow, this must be embarrassing. This reminded me of that World of Darkness artist who...took some inspiration.

endtherapture:
Have they further ruined Command and Conquer by adding 40K shit to it? Ergh.

I actually think that would be an improvement XD

But then it would be called dawn of war...

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked