EA steals from Games Workshop

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

ChaplainOrion:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-12-ea-accused-of-copying-warhammer-40k-tanks-for-command-and-conquer-tiberium-alliances

Look at these "new" tanks for Command and Conquer

It's not even funny about how they're almost the exact same thing.

Eurogamer.net 404 Page not found

We're sorry, but that page doesn't exist!

wow, EA is working fast to kill this thing.

Jeebus, there's gonna be lawsuits up the ass!

TimeLord:
Unless there was some secret deal with GW and EA (which I doubt).

Actually, you don't know anything at all about the images posted. Because someone tells you EA made them you believe them? Because someone makes an image and says EA was in charge of the original designs, you nod along and file the info away under fact? Christ.

I could have made this exact same thread, only instead of EA, I could have said Bioware was in charge of the original design--everything else about the thread would remain the exact same--and you would be saying Bioware is guilty of copyright infringement. You realize how insane that is, right? A random person makes a claim and you instantly side with them, despite having no information at all, besides what they tell you.

Ready, watch this:

Look at these "new" tanks for Command and Conquer:

_

Using your logic, this new post is a fact. Go ahead and tell us how horrible Activision is for stealing these designs.

Grey Day for Elcia:
-snip-

I'm confused. You posted an image before about the MW boycot but no one here said "OMG Boycot EA because they stole GW stuff". Considering the evidence we have to work with, i.e the OP link and picture, I'll make my judgements from that until someone gives me evidence that proves my opinion wrong.

Evidence so far says EA have copyrighted GW stuff.

DoPo:
Wow, this must be embarrassing. This reminded me of that World of Darkness artist who...took some inspiration.

Your second image doesn't show but I'm guessing they copied...

TimeLord:

Grey Day for Elcia:
-snip-

I'm confused. You posted an image before about the MW boycot but no one here said "OMG Boycot EA because they stole GW stuff". Considering the evidence we have to work with, i.e the OP link and picture, I'll make my judgements from that until someone gives me evidence that proves my opinion wrong.

What evidence? Go ahead, show me proof that EA made those designs and that they have no legal right to do so. I'll wait here. Off you go.

Whaaat? You caaaan't? You're just willing to make the claim that a company has broken the law because someone shows you an image? "Well no one has shown me evidence EA didn't do it. So... they must have! Derp."

esperandote:

DoPo:
Wow, this must be embarrassing. This reminded me of that World of Darkness artist who...took some inspiration.

Your second image doesn't show but I'm guessing they copied...

Hmm works for me with no problem. This should work for you, I hope - it's a smaller (and slightly altered) version of the above

Grey Day for Elcia:

TimeLord:

Grey Day for Elcia:
-snip-

What evidence? Go ahead, show me proof that EA made those designs and that they have no legal right to do so. I'll wait here. Off you go.

Whaaat? You caaaan't? You're just willing to make the claim that a company has broken the law because someone shows you an image? "Well no one has shown me evidence EA didn't do it. So... they must have! Derp."

That's my point. The only evidence available at the moment is the OP link and the image, and I will take my opinion on the available evidence.

TimeLord:

Grey Day for Elcia:

TimeLord:

That's my point. The only evidence available at the moment is the OP link and the image, and I will take my opinion on the available evidence.

Rofl. The only evidence available is in the OP? Says who. Did you even TRY to look? You are gonna sit here and tell me the only evidence in the world is this thread? No? Oh, you just don't wanna look into it yourself and would prefer to claim someone has committed an illegal act based off no actual proof (which is in and of itself illegal). But hey, making a claim with potentially less than 1% of the evidence is better than remaining undecided or doing your own research, right!

"I have been shown an image that someone claims to be accurate. Until someone proves otherwise, I will believe this person."

Nothing like thinking for yourself.

boag:

ChaplainOrion:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-12-ea-accused-of-copying-warhammer-40k-tanks-for-command-and-conquer-tiberium-alliances

Eurogamer.net 404 Page not found

We're sorry, but that page doesn't exist!

wow, EA is working fast to kill this thing.

But they cannot kill the cache. Well, I don't know how long the page stays cached, though. It was there yesterday for sure. It's still listed on Google. In fact, the cached version is from 10 hours ago.

Grey Day for Elcia:

TimeLord:

Grey Day for Elcia:

Rofl. The only evidence available is in the OP? Says who. Did you even TRY to look? You are gonna sit here and tell me the only evidence in the world is this thread? No? Oh, you just don't wanna look into it yourself and would prefer to claim someone has committed an illegal act based off no actual proof (which is in and of itself illegal). But hey, making a claim with potentially less than 1% of the evidence is better than remaining undecided or doing your own research, right!

"I have been shown an image that someone claims to be accurate. Until someone proves otherwise, I will believe this person."

No a quick Google search brings up GeekNative, RockPaperShotgun, Eurogamer, SegmentNext, Steam, PC Gamer, Plagerism Today and GameFAQs all reporting on the issue

I hate to be the guy to point out the blatantly obvious, but Electronic Arts hasn't stolen anything here. Tibrium Alliances' developer, Phenomic, is the one "borrowing" designs. Whether or not the vehicles are inspired by 40k or are even direct rips is irrelevant. EA is as responsible for an artist in one of their studios being a lazy sod as the entirety of McDonald's is responsible for sub-par service in one of their stores.

Guys, I realize that the vast majority of you detest EA. I get it, I really do, but you have to stop trying to blame them for everything. It's kind of petty and a might bit sad.

Also, before anyone even says anything, yes, those tanks are a direct copy+paste of old 40k designs. I'm not disagreeing with that. I'd have to be in a very serious state of denial to say otherwise.

spartandude:

Palademon:
It's ok, GW already steals from their customers.
Zing.

its expensive as hell but boy is it addictive

im surpised Warhammer isnt a class A drug yet

Chief: What have we got?
Officer: Drugs, sir. Looks like Ultramarines.
Chief: Ultramarines? Where does a kid like you go so wrong?
Kid: I just bought like one box!
Chief: Doesn't matter! You know what this is! This is for your own good. Undisciplined, this could lead to harder stuff; like Tyranids!

TimeLord:

Grey Day for Elcia:

TimeLord:

No a quick Google search brings up GeekNative, RockPaperShotgun, Eurogamer, SegmentNext, Steam, PC Gamer, Plagerism Today and GameFAQs all reporting on the issue

Woah, woah, woah! Hang on a sec! Someone reported on it? Oh, okay. Sorry. I forgot that when someone reports something it means it's true.

$10 says you Googled it, didn't read a single one of them beyond looking for keywords and couldn't name a single source for the information off the top of your head, lol.

Wow EA...you're so awful! Copying Games Workshop's artwork like that. (because we all know how lax Games Workshop is with their copyrighted material and how easy it is to plagiarize them) My day is totally ruined now, because I am just so angry. I am going to burn a copy of origin to a disk and then shoot the disk! In the face! Down with EA!

Do I fit in now?

Palademon:

spartandude:

Palademon:
It's ok, GW already steals from their customers.
Zing.

its expensive as hell but boy is it addictive

im surpised Warhammer isnt a class A drug yet

Chief: What have we got?
Officer: Drugs, sir. Looks like Ultramarines.
Chief: Ultramarines? Where does a kid like you go so wrong?
Kid: I just bought like one box!
Chief: Doesn't matter! You know what this is! This is for your own good. Undisciplined, this could lead to harder stuff; like Tyranids!

Anyone who collects Ultramarines should be shot!

Blood Angels is where its at!

Grey Day for Elcia:

TimeLord:

Grey Day for Elcia:

Woah, woah, woah! Hang on a sec! Someone reported on it? Oh, okay. Sorry. I forgot that when someone reports something it means it's true.

$10 says you Googled it, didn't read a single one of them beyond looking for keywords and couldn't name a single source for the information off the top of your head, lol.

I never said at any point that it was true or I believed it. My opinion is that if it is true then EA should be sued.

DRes82:
Wow EA...you're so awful! Copying Games Workshop's artwork like that. (because we all know how lax Games Workshop is with their copyrighted material and how easy it is to plagiarize them) My day is totally ruined now, because I am just so angry. I am going to burn a copy of origin to a disk and then shoot the disk! In the face! Down with EA!

Do I fit in now?

not enough hate

EA, can you please try to go one day without horribly fucking something up?

Grey Day for Elcia:

TimeLord:

Grey Day for Elcia:

My question did you try to look for anything?

http://www.moddb.com/groups/c-c-paradise/images/forgotten-grinder-tank#imagebox

No, it's not news. It's just that art and it's not from yesterday.

ChaplainOrion:

Wait so what are they copying from? The store Game's Workshop? And what game were the original tanks designed for.

TimeLord:
I never said at any point that it was true or I believed it. My opinion is that if it is true then EA should be sued.

TimeLord:
Considering the evidence we have to work with, i.e the OP link and picture, I'll make my judgements from that until someone gives me evidence that proves my opinion wrong.

TimeLord:
OT: LET THE GALAXY EA BURN!

TimeLord:
Even someone who has no experiance with 40K can see that the 1995 models and the EA tanks are exactly the same. They haven't even tried to hide the fact that they are blatant copies. If that's not copyright infringement then I don't know what is. Unless there was some secret deal with GW and EA (which I doubt).

Hmmm, I don't see "If it is true Ea should be sued" anywhere in there. I see a "They haven't even tried to hide the fact that they are blatant copies," and a "If that's not copyright infringement then I don't know what is."

Come now, TimeLord, don't try to backpedal.

Grey Day for Elcia:

TimeLord:

TimeLord:
Considering the evidence we have to work with, i.e the OP link and picture, I'll make my judgements from that until someone gives me evidence that proves my opinion wrong.

TimeLord:
OT: LET THE GALAXY EA BURN!

TimeLord:
Even someone who has no experiance with 40K can see that the 1995 models and the EA tanks are exactly the same. They haven't even tried to hide the fact that they are blatant copies. If that's not copyright infringement then I don't know what is. Unless there was some secret deal with GW and EA (which I doubt).

Hmmm, I don't see "If it is true Ea should be sued" anywhere in there. I see a "They haven't even tried to hide the fact that they are blatant copies," and a "If that's not copyright infringement then I don't know what is."

Come now, TimeLord, don't try to backpedal.

Oh for god sake if you're going to break down my every post where I speculated about the topic at hand then disregard all of them and go by this;

My opinion is that this looks shifty and that if EA are guilty then they should be sued.
Which is basically what I said before but if you want a clear cut opinion then there you go.

Grey Day for Elcia:

It could be a phony story. But a simple search for 'bombard tank' shows concept art for it from several sources. The unique colour scheme also is very similar to some of the material on the C&C Alliances site.

TimeLord:
Which is basically what I said before but if you want a clear cut opinion then there you go.

Basically? Lol. Not even close. You said, exactly, "If that's not copyright infringement then I don't know what is." Don't get all pissy and defensive because I quoted your exact words. If you have changed your mind and don't agree with your words, don't try to redefine them-just say you made a bad call.

Mimsofthedawg:

ChaplainOrion:

http://images.eurogamer.net/2012/articles//a/1/4/7/4/4/9/3/c2.jpg.jpg

http://images.eurogamer.net/2012/articles//a/1/4/7/4/4/9/3/c1.jpg.jpg

Wait so what are they copying from? The store Game's Workshop? And what game were the original tanks designed for.

They are copying from the company Games Workshop. The creators of the Warhammer franchise.

So, yes, the originals were from WH40K.

Sagacious Zhu:
EA, can you please try to go one day without horribly fucking something up?

But you can't spell stealing without EA!

I never really cared about Warhammer that much, its so GRIMDARK that I could not take it. I mean, I like a good war as much as any first worlder, but Warhammer seems to be just a wank fest all about war and killing and shit. It just seems a bit unhealthy to me. Only the Ciaphas Cain books (and those are just Flashman IN SPACE!) retain my interest because, at lest they have a scene of humor.

That said, I do (did?) love Commander and Conquer. I don't like were EA took the franchise, but what can you do. I just did not by Commander and Conquer 4 and called it a day.

I feel like I can somewhat defend the first tank, the "Grinder Tank" looks at lot like the Yuri Lasher Tank from Red Alert 2 - Yuri's Revenge. The Twin barreled tank is in almost every Commander and Conquer game ever. Yuri's Revenge came out in 2001 for what that is it worth.

But the one that looks like the Baneblade. Shame on you Phenomic. I have no defense for that one.

I have seen a few people here say, "lots of people steal ideas from GW", well since GW took most of their ideas from earlier, better, sci-fi does that mean said people are just re-stealing from GW.

endtherapture:

40K stopped making interesting commentary long ago and apart from Dan Abnett novels, is now just an excuse to have power armoured space marine porn. It's a giant galaxy spanning epic war setting, but C&C is somewhat grounded in reality, Tiberian Dawn was pretty recognisable as the 90s, whilst further games are just a post apocalyptic version of that. 40K makes no references to anything from our modern day time.

40k isn't sci fi.... it simply isn't.

It's high fantasy in a sci fi setting. Its the combination of the two things that makes 40k as compelling as it is to folks. Therefore coming down on it for 'not being grounded in reality' is like griping that realistic FPS games don't have enough death rays or Elves.

But yeah. Some lazy mech designer is going to get the whole company sued and make EA look even worse.

Worst bullet point on a resume, ever.

I can hear many attorneys cracking their knuckles in anticipation. EA gon' get SUED.

Grey Day for Elcia:
Boy, the sheeple sure do enjoy finding reasons to "hate" EA. Which is funny, because they'll all still buy their products. It's cute how people on the internet throw around words at the slightest provocation, chuck a little tantrum, rant for a week and and then open their wallets and make new releases push sales records sky high.

Wonder what it'll be cool to hate next...

I always hated this picture because all it demonstrate is 15 people out of the 833 that decided not to buy the game, bought the game.

Half the people in the picture are playing other games; but it's the internet, why think about things?

DoPo:

Dang, those two are almost identical.

OT: I agree with those who say this is most likely someone who has messed up rather than something done intentionally. Still incompetence is bad.

MDSnowman:

endtherapture:

40K stopped making interesting commentary long ago and apart from Dan Abnett novels, is now just an excuse to have power armoured space marine porn. It's a giant galaxy spanning epic war setting, but C&C is somewhat grounded in reality, Tiberian Dawn was pretty recognisable as the 90s, whilst further games are just a post apocalyptic version of that. 40K makes no references to anything from our modern day time.

40k isn't sci fi.... it simply isn't.

It's high fantasy in a sci fi setting. Its the combination of the two things that makes 40k as compelling as it is to folks. Therefore coming down on it for 'not being grounded in reality' is like griping that realistic FPS games don't have enough death rays.

I didn't say it was sci fi?

The two can't be compared. Tiberian Dawn/Sun is Earthbound sci fi. 40K is galaxyspanning space fantasy.

Bostur:

Soviet Heavy:

GoaThief:

The leman Russ is an almost identical copy of a WW1 tank, the name of which escapes me at the moment. Games Workshop are pretty well known for "borrowing" ideas and the like, what goes around comes around really - there are only so many different types of tank you can design.

Live and let live.

The Leman Russ is a WW1 Tank with a turret on top. The Baneblade is an oversized Main Battle Tank Chassis with far too many guns and sponsons.

Just clarifying a bit, not correcting. :-)

The Leman Russ is a Land Raider with a turret. In turn the Land Raider is inspired by some british WWI tanks. Especially the track and the side sponsons.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:British_Mark_V_%28male%29_tank.jpg

The Baneblade is far too fantastic to be a working tank. It looks like GW mixed and matched a lot of different historical tank components, probably by looking at pictures.

Actually, the Leman Russ (without the side sponsons) is closer to the French Char Bi bis
But the Land Raider is definitely a Mark V Male tank.

The Baneblade was definitely inspired by the Maus though. With a load of extra stuff on it of course xD

The Rhino is just an M113. There isn't really much originality in imperial tank design xD
Oh and the guy who designed those tanks, shame on you. There are plenty of non copyrighted tanks you could have stole.

Grey Day for Elcia:

TimeLord:

Grey Day for Elcia:

It's funny how you're jumping all over this guy for not spending enough time verifying the source when you yourself didn't spend five minutes researching the claim. If you did you would have discovered that this story does indeed seem to be legit. Your hypocrisy is astounding.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked