EA steals from Games Workshop

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

@EMFCRACKSHOT

Thanks for posting the pictures. I never heard about the Char B1 bis, to me it looks directly taken out of the WH40K setting. :-D

Some of the models have changed over the years. I remember when they reused the Land Raider chassis for several models, it was part of the Leman Russ set at one point. They made an effort to make some of the tanks more unique later.

The Rhino is just an M113. There isn't really much originality in imperial tank design xD

I've been around quite a few M113s myself, I'm grateful they didn't have any frontal spikes ;-) Part of what I like about the Imperial tank line is the mix of realism and fantasy. The reuse of hulls for example. The Whirlwind is a great example of believable design, using a proven APC hull for another role.

I'd say that the Char B1 looks more like the Baneblade than the Maus. It has the hull mounted cannon for one thing, and the turret being further back.

A lot of the Imperium's heavy tank designs like the Malcador and Macharius take from the british and german super heavy tanks.

Bostur:
@EMFCRACKSHOT

Thanks for posting the pictures. I never heard about the Char B1 bis, to me it looks directly taken out of the WH40K setting. :-D

It wasn't actually a bad tank. Superior in many ways to the Panzerkampfwagen III but lack of an internal radio and poor tank doctrine on the part of the french means it never saw much action and never made it into tank 'pop culture'

Some of the models have changed over the years. I remember when they reused the Land Raider chassis for several models, it was part of the Leman Russ set at one point. They made an effort to make some of the tanks more unique later.

i'm glad they did, i mean lets face it, some of their early tank designs (Like the original vindicator) weren't the best looking.

I've been around quite a few M113s myself, I'm grateful they didn't have any frontal spikes ;-) Part of what I like about the Imperial tank line is the mix of realism and fantasy. The reuse of hulls for example. The Whirlwind is a great example of believable design, using a proven APC hull for another role.

I am with you 100% with the re-use of hulls etc. It fits very nicely with the STC system in 40k. I do remember seeing an M113 that had been converted into a Rhino at gamesday one year. That thing was just incredible

Soviet Heavy:
I'd say that the Char B1 looks more like the Baneblade than the Maus. It has the hull mounted cannon for one thing, and the turret being further back.

A lot of the Imperium's heavy tank designs like the Malcador and Macharius take from the british and german super heavy tanks.

The Maus was the only true super heavy tank that someone tried to produce. It was so massively impractical that it never would have worked. But you whack a demlisher cannon on the front of the Maus, and add on a few side sponsons and boom, Baneblade. The Char B1 is just too small and the body shape is wrong if you ask me. I do love my Baneblades though (you can never stop at just one xD)

Freechoice:

Hey, I liked Dawn of War! It was the last time in like 6 years where Steve Bloomers was any good.

as did i, it was more of a dig at how similar the games are :)

Since Warhammer 40K is the birthplace of the Space Marine there's hundreds of movies and games that take from them, so this doesn't bother me much. Plus they're tanks, there's only so much you can do with them.

Somebody get me a hot tub of popcorn. I'm going to love watching this.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/04/13/ea-explains-copied-warhammer-40k-designs.aspx

Apparently EA explined themselves

"Games Workshop and EA are aware of the IP issues around the artwork in question, which have now been resolved. The artwork was internal EA concept art that was unintentionally released publicly.

No Warhammer 40,000 tanks have ever made an appearance in Command and Conquer Tiberium Alliances, and never will. Games Workshop and EA continue to have a strong relationship working together on Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning and the new free to play game Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes which just entered open beta."

Either someone is about to get fired ruthlessly, or GW was all "Go right ahead and use our shit!", which I highly doubt.

I've only skimmed through this thread but I'm amazed that everyone can be this shocked by EA but can completely ignore the fact that Blizzard essentially built their company on ripping off Games Workshop.

Those are just two examples. There's plenty more.

GO GW! SUE! SUE! SQUEEZE MONEY OUT OF THE EA SCUM! SUUUUUUUUUUEEEEE! SIGMAR GUIDE THE JUDGES HAMMER TO JUSTICE!

OT: Well that's not even a question of "It is inspired by" that's a direct rip off right there.

ThePenguinKnight:
Since Warhammer 40K is the birthplace of the Space Marine there's hundreds of movies and games that take from them, so this doesn't bother me much. Plus they're tanks, there's only so much you can do with them.

Actually I think the original Space Marines are from Starship Troopers.

CD-R:
I've only skimmed through this thread but I'm amazed that everyone can be this shocked by EA but can completely ignore the fact that Blizzard essentially built their company on ripping off Games Workshop.

Actually I think it's going the other way now for Tyranids, I've heard people say that they're more Zerg like with their new units.

Das Boot:

ChaplainOrion:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-12-ea-accused-of-copying-warhammer-40k-tanks-for-command-and-conquer-tiberium-alliances

It's not even funny about how they're almost the exact same thing.

So tell me how do you know that EA stole these tank designs. How do you know that they did not duno ask games workshop about it first? Oh wait thats right you dont your just jumping to conclusions.

GW is like Ebenezer Scrooge pre-ghosts-of-christmas with their IP. And besides, why would they let someone have the same tank designs when they themselves are having a game made with the same ones (Dawn of War 3)? If you were to ask any GW follower everyone will say they're very protective about their IP.

ChaplainOrion:

ThePenguinKnight:

Actually I think the original Space Marines are from Starship Troopers.

CD-R:

Actually I think it's going the other way now for Tyranids, I've heard people say that they're more Zerg like with their new units.

Das Boot:

ChaplainOrion:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-12-ea-accused-of-copying-warhammer-40k-tanks-for-command-and-conquer-tiberium-alliances

It's not even funny about how they're almost the exact same thing.

So tell me how do you know that EA stole these tank designs. How do you know that they did not duno ask games workshop about it first? Oh wait thats right you dont your just jumping to conclusions.

GW is like Ebenezer Scrooge pre-ghosts-of-christmas with their IP. And besides, why would they let someone have the same tank designs when they themselves are having a game made with the same ones (Dawn of War 3)? If you were to ask any GW follower everyone will say they're very protective about their IP.

Nope, Warhammer 40K existed long before Starship Troopers but there are a lot of people who don't know this. StarScraft had a lot more going for it than just the designs, I give it a pass.

DoPo:
Wow, this must be embarrassing. This reminded me of that World of Darkness artist who...took some inspiration.

How did he get away with that?! It's so obvious!

ThePenguinKnight:
Nope, Warhammer 40K existed long before Starship Troopers but there are a lot of people who don't know this. StarScraft had a lot more going for it than just the designs, I give it a pass.

Starship Troopers was a book that was released in 1959.

Warhammer 40K began in the 1987.

Starship Troopers basically started the whole "power armoured soldiers fighting aliens" thing, Warhammer 40K was one of the first IP's to make it more well known and bring it to the gaming (both video and tabletop) world along with the Metroid series.

Almost everything in the Imperium is inspired by either some real life army from a particular time period or other fiction.

Waaghpowa:

Neverhoodian:
This calls for the Inquisition's seal of disapproval!
Given how protective Games Workshop is over their IP, I can't imagine that they'd let something like this slide. Hell, they've shut down nonprofit, fan-created websites and game mods, so you can bet they're not going to stand for something like this.

There's only one solution to all of this

Seems about right.

ChaplainOrion:

It's actually back and forth with the Tyranid Zerg debate. Blizzard did take some designs from the earlier Tyranids, and GW in turn ripped off the Zerg with their new designs

2nd Edition Carnifex (Mid 90s)

Ultralisk

Then came the Tyranid redesign in the 2000s, where this happened
Hydralisk

Tyranid Ravenor and Trygon

It's cyclical!

Couldn't this just be a homage?

SajuukKhar:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/04/13/ea-explains-copied-warhammer-40k-designs.aspx

"Games Workshop and EA are aware of the IP issues around the artwork in question, which have now been resolved. The artwork was internal EA concept art that was unintentionally released publicly.

No Warhammer 40,000 tanks have ever made an appearance in Command and Conquer Tiberium Alliances, and never will. Games Workshop and EA continue to have a strong relationship working together on Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning and the new free to play game Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes which just entered open beta."

You realize that everyone is going to ignore this post in favor of 'EA IS THE ANTICHRIST', right?

Kopikatsu:
You realize that everyone is going to ignore this post in favor of 'EA IS THE ANTICHRIST', right?

I dont really care if they do or not becuase

ThePenguinKnight:

Imagine an army composed of soldiers trained far beyond typical human capacity. They are each equipped with a suit of gigantic power armor with a set of jets that allows them to jump thousands of meters across enemy territory. Their typical armament includes rifles that fire explosive rounds and a handheld flamer designed for suppression. They eschew traditional landing craft when invading a planet in favor of being dropped from orbit in small pods. Their enemies include a hive-minded insectoid species whose main advantage over them is numbers. Should worst come to worst in a conflict, their navy can and will crack a planet open with the force of their weapons.

I just described the Mobile Infantry in the original Starship Troopers, written by Robert Goddamn Heinlein. It was published in the 1950s. Does anything in that description sound familiar to you?

SajuukKhar:

You mean the strong relationship where EA ground Mythic Entertainment into dust in their disastrous attempt to compete with WOW, before renaming the developer under the Bioware label to drum up support in a half assed resurrection of the arena combat in Warhammer Online?

The one that had Orcs working alongside Chaos and the Dark Elves for some inane reason to have alliances, just like WOW?

Yeah EA, you have a great working relationship, don't you?

GamerMage:

DoPo:
Wow, this must be embarrassing. This reminded me of that World of Darkness artist who...took some inspiration.

He got fired really quick after White Wolf noticed. Only it happened after the book was published. I really don't know how nobody noticed beforehand, though. I can only assume nobody ever played DMC aside from this one guy. But how did he think that nobody else would draw comparison between a a hunter of demons (and other supernatural thinks) and Dante, who is a demon hunter. The main difference between the two is that the sword is swapped with a gun, for crying out loud. If he had made some changes, such as changing the clothes, say, add a backpack[1] and a different hair, then maybe he could have gotten away with it. But adding a shirt, buttons to the coat and swapping the sword with a firearm is not really something I'd expect nobody to notice. Even the friggin' spear at the bottom left is still there. That's really just being utterly lazy.

[1] the Aegis Kai Doru are basically ancient order of archaeologists who use magical artefacts to kill threats to humanity...erm, it may seem like Dante again, but it's more different.

Well... holy shit, I was fully prepared to play devils advocate by saying "It's not THAT close" but then I saw the pictures, they might as well be clones

Now now, if it was really stealing they'd make the players assemble and paint the models themselves, running up a bill of about $100.00 altogether for each model.

Joking aside; yes, those seem to have an uncanny likeness to each other. Although I doubt they were knowingly stealing from Games Workshop.

Hal10k:

ThePenguinKnight:

Imagine an army composed of soldiers trained far beyond typical human capacity. They are each equipped with a suit of gigantic power armor with a set of jets that allows them to jump thousands of meters across enemy territory. Their typical armament includes rifles that fire explosive rounds and a handheld flamer designed for suppression. They eschew traditional landing craft when invading a planet in favor of being dropped from orbit in small pods. Their enemies include a hive-minded insectoid species whose main advantage over them is numbers. Should worst come to worst in a conflict, their navy can and will crack a planet open with the force of their weapons.

I just described the Mobile Infantry in the original Starship Troopers, written by Robert Goddamn Heinlein. It was published in the 1950s. Does anything in that description sound familiar to you?

Yes. unfornatly when most people think of Starship Troopers now or days they think of the movies. The first one was okay the others....not so much. And in that movie the Troopers are a lot different from the books. I haven't really read the book/s but I know and have seen excerpts from them.

OT: This is EA....is anyone really surprised?

Hal10k:

ThePenguinKnight:

In this age of moovies and video games, are you really that surprised that somebody doesn't know the age of a book that is the basis for almost every single science fiction game out there? And not only that, but would actually think that this book came out after the rather hack-job of Warhammer 40k? Granted, although not surprised I am dismayed. It wouldn't take a genius to google "Starship Troopers" or go to Wikipedia, but I digress. This is the whole "The Titanic is realz?!" thing over again.

*Shakes fists at whipper-snappers*

I was going to say coincidence. Then I looked at the second one. Because C&C has had two barreled tanks since the mammoth. Then the second stole everything, even the side cannons... Fucking bullshit.

SajuukKhar:

why you gota go and ruin good internet hate like that
Now we are just gonna get more ME threads

I'd quote the two or three people who responded to me but I'm incredibly tired and I'm not really used to posting just yet so bare with me. I'm totally wrong, I was aware that Starship Troopers books existed but I didn't know they released as far back as the 50's which really blows my mind. So yeah, I apologize for giving out false information.

Smeggs:
I hope they get the ever-loving hell sued out of them.

GW doesn't sue companies who can afford lawyers.

Rawne1980:

Google what they did to Blizzard and where Warcraft actually came from.

What did GW do to Blizzard, appart from ripping-of the hydralisk for the 3rd ed Tyranids.

Oh plese don't tell me you read on some forum from this guy, who read it on another forum, buy a guy who heard it from his 3rd cousin, that warcraft is gonna be a warhammer game.

CD-R:

-snip-

First the tyranids have that look from Third ED(2001) whyle the Hydralisk's original concept is from (1998),try finding an older pictor,maybe something form 1995.Also thats a Trygon and the trygons are from Fifth edition.Better luck next time

Second - Grizzled manly men in power armor have been around since the 50 and even erlier if you count the Lensmen series
examples:

SajuukKhar:

I find it amazing how much EA hate is after this post. I mean come on people.

Well the original style of Starcraft was actually a GW game or was going to be but Game Workshop didn't want to sell it to them so they made changes to their game to sell it on a similar style. When I played Warhammer 40000 Dawn of war 2 and first face the Tyranids I didn't actually think they look like aliens, but more of machines hybrid. But when we look at zerg, all of them look like aliens, more animal like.

Looked kinda silly when Tyranids showed up with guns and such. But hey just my thought.

I really hope GW does something about this before some idiot at EA claims that GW stole the designs from EA. That would be typical Corparation horseshit.

DoPo:

GamerMage:

DoPo:

He got fired really quick after White Wolf noticed. Only it happened after the book was published. I really don't know how nobody noticed beforehand, though. I can only assume nobody ever played DMC aside from this one guy. But how did he think that nobody else would draw comparison between a a hunter of demons (and other supernatural thinks) and Dante, who is a demon hunter. The main difference between the two is that the sword is swapped with a gun, for crying out loud. If he had made some changes, such as changing the clothes, say, add a backpack[1] and a different hair, then maybe he could have gotten away with it. But adding a shirt, buttons to the coat and swapping the sword with a firearm is not really something I'd expect nobody to notice. Even the friggin' spear at the bottom left is still there. That's really just being utterly lazy.

XD i clicked the first one, said hey... that looks like dante, clicked the second one hey.... that looks like dante... o wait. I can only assume that it was the lack of color that kept them from seeing dante in that picture because otherwise there would be no way.

[1] the Aegis Kai Doru are basically ancient order of archaeologists who use magical artefacts to kill threats to humanity...erm, it may seem like Dante again, but it's more different.

the worst thing here is that they still make C&C games, just leave my childhood alone

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked