Tribes Ascend Released

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

NightHawk21:
I don't, but even with it its a fifty percent upgrade so 1.5x damage, and I hit techies for about half health.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but only the last upgrade increases melee damage; the other upgrades reduce incoming melee damage.

WoW Killer:

NightHawk21:
I don't, but even with it its a fifty percent upgrade so 1.5x damage, and I hit techies for about half health.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but only the last upgrade increases melee damage; the other upgrades reduce incoming melee damage.

No you're right. From memory I think the first 2 upgrades are reduce incoming by either 10% or 15% each and the last one is +50% backstab. I was just going off what I think the math would be.

Eh, I haven't done the math, but it wouldn't be the first time the description of something was incorrect.

Look at the final upgrade of super heavy. "Damages enemies who run"? What the fuck?

The Crotch:
Eh, I haven't done the math, but it wouldn't be the first time the description of something was incorrect.

Look at the final upgrade of super heavy. "Damages enemies who run"? What the fuck?

That's probably it then. Guess I'll have to invest some xp into it.

In about fifteen minutes, Area 51 will be opening up their servers and giving away a total of 10,000 gold as well as assorted beta keys (Dota 2, Firefall, etc.) for the winners of various contests (grav cycle racing, melee battles, etc.).

Just wanted to say for anyone that is having trouble or doing shit with a class (like I was) after you break the lvl 6 barrier and start playing with higher level people. Spend the time to invest in all the little armor, pack and weapon upgrades. They don't seems like much but they make your job a lot easier.

I'm finally starting to actually get kills repeatedly with my infiltrator.

I'm enjoying the game so far except that there doesn't seem to be any teamwork at all. I was just playing as a Tech and was struggling to keep the generator afloat while being harrassed by two Infiltrators and a Jugg in the reactor room. All my requests for help were ignored, so I just had to keep smashing myself against them so they wouldn't get bored and leave (might as well have the other team three men down). I suppose I could have changed class to something a bit mightier, but I've not speced in the heavy classes yet so I'm a bit reluctant to do so. Also I suck balls with the mortar.

Djinn8:
I'm enjoying the game so far except that there doesn't seem to be any teamwork at all.

That's my problem at the moment, it's like a mad free for all sometimes. I'm still enjoying the hell out of it though, trying to get the hang of Infiltrator.

I'm all for a little team up for anyone on the Europe - London servers (AzureSN).

Djinn8:
I'm enjoying the game so far except that there doesn't seem to be any teamwork at all. I was just playing as a Tech and was struggling to keep the generator afloat while being harrassed by two Infiltrators and a Jugg in the reactor room. All my requests for help were ignored, so I just had to keep smashing myself against them so they wouldn't get bored and leave (might as well have the other team three men down). I suppose I could have changed class to something a bit mightier, but I've not speced in the heavy classes yet so I'm a bit reluctant to do so. Also I suck balls with the mortar.

Ya I was browsing the actual forums of the game and that's what most people were saying. "Pubs don't have good teamwork". They said that just practice in Pubs, but once you get the hang of it its better to move on to the custom servers where there is apparently better teamwork.

Edit: Also new patch released with 2 skins and 3 new gadgets for the raider to play with.

NightHawk21:

Djinn8:

Ya I was browsing the actual forums of the game and that's what most people were saying. "Pubs don't have good teamwork". They said that just practice in Pubs, but once you get the hang of it its better to move on to the custom servers where there is apparently better teamwork.

Edit: Also new patch released with 2 skins and 3 new gadgets for the raider to play with.

The new raider primary is OP as fuck. Hold on to your collective butts until they patch it.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

NightHawk21:

Djinn8:

The new raider primary is OP as fuck. Hold on to your collective butts until they patch it.

That's what I've been hearing in game lol. Does quite a bit of damage shoots pretty fast and doens't seem that hard to hit with. Hopefully at least the grenade can be thrown like a normal grenade.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

NightHawk21:

Djinn8:

And I just had the immense pleasure of playing against a group of raiders using the plasma rifle. That was a blast.

Honestly they need to reduce the hit box and tone down the RoF on that thing. Right now its like an automatic spinfuser.

Djinn8:

Yeah it can get frustrating at times, but in that particular case you were doing the right thing. As you said, their team is down 3 players. You might not have done well on the leader board, but you definitely helped your team out. Did you see TB's mailbox thing where he talked about maybe changing up the rewards system? That's one problem I've noticed in the game so far (though I've only played public); often the actions that most helps your team win are those that give you little credit on the leader board, and hence, end up with you earning less XP.

Worst game I've had so far was on Crossfire when a load of enemy Infiltrators and Raiders swarmed the innards of our base. On that map there's absolutely no way you can win if you're not in control of your flag stand, but most of my team was in the midfield trying to farm kills. At that point, what am I supposed to do? I can attempt unsuccessfully and repeatedly to take the flag stand back by myself, and get no reward for doing so, or I can go and farm some kills to get slightly higher on the leader board for a bit more XP in what is already a lost game. It seems wrong that doing the right thing rewards you less.

I've not played in a few days though (D3 beta got in the way, ha!). What's the new Raider weapon?

WoW Killer:
I've not played in a few days though (D3 beta got in the way, ha!). What's the new Raider weapon?

Rage enducing is what it is. It's essentially a rapid fire spinfusor that radiates damage so that even when you dodge the shot you still take the hit. It can kill my Tech in two none-hits or a single direct hit. Saying it is overpowered doesn't quite do it justice.

Djinn8:
Rage enducing is what it is. It's essentially a rapid fire spinfusor that radiates damage so that even when you dodge the shot you still take the hit. It can kill my Tech in two none-hits or a single direct hit. Saying it is overpowered doesn't quite do it justice.

Ouch. Ok I don't really even need to see the numbers here, a rapid-fire explosive weapon sounds mechanically overpowered as it stands. I'm not looking forward to seeing this in action...

WoW Killer:

Djinn8:

Ouch. Ok I don't really even need to see the numbers here, a rapid-fire explosive weapon sounds mechanically overpowered as it stands. I'm not looking forward to seeing this in action...

Oh don't worry you won't see it. About half the time you'll just get insta killed, and go wtf only to see the kill card pop up saying plasma rifle.

NightHawk21:
Oh don't worry you won't see it. About half the time you'll just get insta killed, and go wtf only to see the kill card pop up saying plasma rifle.

Haha, that sounds OP as fuck. Actually, this reminds me of a topic I've been meaning to post on the R/P board on the ethics of free-to-play gaming. Not sure if I'll ever get round to posting it as it's just ideas swimming around my head, but nonetheless I'll do a quick tester here...

Do you think it's potentially dangerous for a developer to change an item after its initial release when real money could have changed hands in its purchase? In other words, regardless of whether the item in question is unlockable through free means, some people will have paid for this weapon. If the weapon is deemed overpowered and henceforth nerfed, you might feel that your reason for purchase is invalidated, and that you should be entitled to a refund. Even if you've not gone and bought the overpowered weapon in question, if you've paid real money for a weapon that occupies a niche role that is made superfluous by the existence of such an OP weapon, you could feel equally as eligible for a refund.

There's another slightly different ethical problem which I'm facing personally. I'm not into FPS games generally, and I've only gotten into this game because it's free-to-play. Now that I've tried it, and I'm very happy to have had that chance, I can reflect and say that it is a very good game. It's well made and introduced me to some new gameplay mechanics that I didn't know existed (but apparently Tribes fans knew about all along and kept to themselves; selfish bastards...). Is it immoral for me to not pay money for this game? I wouldn't have ever bought this game had it been a standard buy-to-play title. And yet I've played it enough to know that I like it. Should I be paying money? Or is it ok for people to take free-to-play to its letter and actually play it completely for free?

WoW Killer:

NightHawk21:

Haha, that sounds OP as fuck. Actually, this reminds me of a topic I've been meaning to post on the R/P board on the ethics of free-to-play gaming. Not sure if I'll ever get round to posting it as it's just ideas swimming around my head, but nonetheless I'll do a quick tester here...

Do you think it's potentially dangerous for a developer to change an item after its initial release when real money could have changed hands in its purchase? In other words, regardless of whether the item in question is unlockable through free means, some people will have paid for this weapon. If the weapon is deemed overpowered and henceforth nerfed, you might feel that your reason for purchase is invalidated, and that you should be entitled to a refund. Even if you've not gone and bought the overpowered weapon in question, if you've paid real money for a weapon that occupies a niche role that is made superfluous by the existence of such an OP weapon, you could feel equally as eligible for a refund.

There's another slightly different ethical problem which I'm facing personally. I'm not into FPS games generally, and I've only gotten into this game because it's free-to-play. Now that I've tried it, and I'm very happy to have had that chance, I can reflect and say that it is a very good game. It's well made and introduced me to some new gameplay mechanics that I didn't know existed (but apparently Tribes fans knew about all along and kept to themselves; selfish bastards...). Is it immoral for me to not pay money for this game? I wouldn't have ever bought this game had it been a standard buy-to-play title. And yet I've played it enough to know that I like it. Should I be paying money? Or is it ok for people to take free-to-play to its letter and actually play it completely for free?

For your first part I would argue that if the weapon was advertised as some god sent gun and you bought it and it gets nerfed you should be entitled to a refund. As to the part on the niche role, I don't think so, because the weapon you bought (the original niche weapon I assume) didn't in anyway change.

As for spending money on the game. I think you're perfectly within your rights to not spend money and its ethically sound. I played this game for a while (and will continue to play it for a while still), and I play LoL too. I don't feel compelled to buy items. I might drop $5 or $10 dollars if the game is really interesting and I want something special, but I don't think I'm obligated too because I'm enjoying myself.

WoW Killer:

Djinn8:

Yeah it can get frustrating at times, but in that particular case you were doing the right thing. As you said, their team is down 3 players. You might not have done well on the leader board, but you definitely helped your team out. Did you see TB's mailbox thing where he talked about maybe changing up the rewards system? That's one problem I've noticed in the game so far (though I've only played public); often the actions that most helps your team win are those that give you little credit on the leader board, and hence, end up with you earning less XP.

Worst game I've had so far was on Crossfire when a load of enemy Infiltrators and Raiders swarmed the innards of our base. On that map there's absolutely no way you can win if you're not in control of your flag stand, but most of my team was in the midfield trying to farm kills. At that point, what am I supposed to do? I can attempt unsuccessfully and repeatedly to take the flag stand back by myself, and get no reward for doing so, or I can go and farm some kills to get slightly higher on the leader board for a bit more XP in what is already a lost game. It seems wrong that doing the right thing rewards you less.

To touch on TBs idea, that mailbox episode was REALLY good. The idea is too good to let up on.

I just played a round of CTF as pathfinder and I just slayed all the time. Did no chasing, did no capping. My teammates took those roles, but thats beside the point; at the end, I was second.

Why? Why should I be rewarded for taking the pathfinder out of its role? Sure, we won, but had we not, a good bit of blame should go on my shoulders for not doing my job.

You see it all the time; heavies in enemy gen rooms, raiders doing everything except killing people, technicians not repairing turrets, sentinels llama grabbing... Really fucks up the game and rustles my jimmies. That class specific achievement/reward thing could fix it.

Djinn8:

WoW Killer:

I could swear they made the hitboxes three times as big just for that weapon.

I really do hope this doesnt mark the beginning of Tribes going Pay 2 Win.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Djinn8:

WoW Killer:

I could swear they made the hitboxes three times as big just for that weapon.

I really do hope this doesnt mark the beginning of Tribes going Pay 2 Win.

I think they're going to have to fix it. The outcry on the tribes forums is pretty astounding.

Actually could one of you guy help me with something. I'm not to sure how the voice chat system works. I can do the basic commands, but I don't know how to actually type a message. I also don't know how to mark a target to alert my team (light armour spotted near our base, etc).

Djinn8:
Actually could one of you guy help me with something. I'm not to sure how the voice chat system works. I can do the basic commands, but I don't know how to actually type a message. I also don't know how to mark a target to alert my team (light armour spotted near our base, etc).

There's some automated commands that can be started by pressing v and than buttons corresponding to the commands you want (ex. V, than G for global I think).

By default I believe T will open up the global chat where either team can see what you type. Y opens up the team only chat, so only you'll allies will see.

To spot an enemy I think you have to be able to see their health bar and the arrow indicating they're an enemy (so zoom in if you know they're there but can't see the arrow). Than to spot look at them and press the left alt key by default. You're guy will do an automated callout with the rough location of the enemy, and they'll be marked.

My brother in law still talks about classic Tribes. I never played. I got the F2P and did the practice stuff yesterday. Looks worthy of further testing.

If you see a clueless newb named Maladjester getting himself splattered all over the landscape, that'll be me.

I've just bumped up to Close Combat Mastery, all of a sudden my Infiltrator is a little bit more handy, now I need to save up for Prism Mines or the Jackal. I skirmished with an Infiltrator with a Jackal yesterday and those bitches get tactical!

Azure-Supernova:
I've just bumped up to Close Combat Mastery, all of a sudden my Infiltrator is a little bit more handy, now I need to save up for Prism Mines or the Jackal. I skirmished with an Infiltrator with a Jackal yesterday and those bitches get tactical!

Ya that's what I did too, except instead of prism mines I did a bunch of armor and pack upgrades, but I gotta save for that jackal.

Johnny Impact:
My brother in law still talks about classic Tribes. I never played. I got the F2P and did the practice stuff yesterday. Looks worthy of further testing.

If you see a clueless newb named Maladjester getting himself splattered all over the landscape, that'll be me.

I'm still getting splattered all over the place, so no worries. :)

NightHawk21:

Azure-Supernova:

Ya that's what I did too, except instead of prism mines I did a bunch of armor and pack upgrades, but I gotta save for that jackal.

Yes, I'm getting pasted quite frequently by Infiltrators with a Jackal, I'm going to guess that it really is worth getting with the amount of times I see it.

Azure-Supernova:

NightHawk21:

Azure-Supernova:

Yes, I'm getting pasted quite frequently by Infiltrators with a Jackal, I'm going to guess that it really is worth getting with the amount of times I see it.

I think its probably because the Jackal is an explosive weapon. Indoors explosives weapons have such an edge over standard projectiles, just because there is essentially no place to run.

Updated with another spinfuser giveaway site incase anyone missed the other two and still wants to try and get one. Good luck, let me know if they're all gone.

NightHawk21:
Updated with another spinfuser giveaway site incase anyone missed the other two and still wants to try and get one. Good luck, let me know if they're all gone.

You are a godsend, thanks! I got a code and the signup is easy anyway, they don't verify email addresses so you can just fake everything for the code... I feel kinda bad about it but eh, free Spinfusor! Thanks, now I can stop saving for it and go straight for the Jackal.

Azure-Supernova:

NightHawk21:

You are a godsend, thanks! I got a code and the signup is easy anyway, they don't verify email addresses so you can just fake everything for the code... I feel kinda bad about it but eh, free Spinfusor! Thanks, now I can stop saving for it and go straight for the Jackal.

No worries bro, you're welcome. I'm in the same boat lol, saving for a 100k weapon ain't easy.

Good news for all who have been plagued by that troublesome Plasma Gun. The projectile size has been decreased to what I assume will be a more reasonable amount, in addition to two small brute and pathfinder buffs. Enjoy.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked