I think EA/Bioware are blatantly trolling now.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

MelasZepheos:

Nice in theory but in practice not so much. I'm working as a Marketing Communications Coordinator's Assistant at the moment and basically the rule is 'if we can get away with it being the literal truth, print it because no one is going to win a case on the 'implicit falsehood' rule.' Yeah, I actually had to go over the rules for deception in advertising before I was allowed to start my job, and my boss was full of helpful suggestions.

For example. If you go into the staff cafeteria and there are ten people in it, and you ask them 'do you like hob nobs?' and 8 of them answer 'yes' run an ad saying '80% of people surveyed said they preferred hob nobs.' On the offchance someone does try to take you up on it, you are defending a case of literal verifiable truth, whereas they are trying to make a case from conjecture and circumstance.

What the little legal dictionary quote up there fails to mention is that when you accuse, the burden of proof is on you, which means that you have to provide enough evidence that a client was 'injured' directly as a result of your advertisement.

The argument is simple. The game reviews have been massively positive. The game truly has provoked the biggest fan reaction to a conclusion of a series. Pairing these two facts together, it is not outside the realm of possibility to suggest that if the game receives perfect scores, maybe it is a good game. EA wins the argument, angry fans get to whine some more.

The legalese might sound nice, but you aren't going to win a case on 'implicit' when the other side has 'actual.'

Oh don't mistake me, I wasn't suggesting that legal action be pursued. I was pointing out that this probably provides the best ammo for the claim of false-advertising to date, and the irony that they'd craft an ad like that almost immediately after the BBB weighed in on a claim of false-advertising against them. Under the circumstances, I'd actually be surprised if they hadn't run it by legal before releasing it to make sure they had a leg to stand on. It provides a rather interesting insight into their self-image, I think.

MelasZepheos:

Harb:

MelasZepheos:

And the second part is also completely true. Can you name another game that has provoked a bigger fan reaction? Not positive or negative...

World of Warcraft. Modern Warfare 2. Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Ain't sure there are more, but this sample should be sufficient.

'has provoked a bigger fan reaction than any other conclusion in the medium's history.'

Key points:

1. Fan reaction. The reaction must be from the fans. MW controversy over killing civilians or whatever it was you did in that mission (never played the game) don't count because those people were not the fans, they were the public.

2. 'any other conclusion.' Were your other games conclusions to long running series? if not, then must be removed.

So that takes out WoW (which will never have a conclusion) and MW2 (which wasn't a fan reaction but a media one) leaving only FFXIII-2.

What exactly was the fan reaction to FFXIII-2. How long did it go on, how many people did it involve, did it result in a change of any sort to the game as presented, what was involved in the reaction?

If it had more people, doing more things, went on for over a month (and counting with ME3) and has resulted in a change to whatever it was the fans were reacting to, then you can call bullshit on the quote.

Granted, all those points linked together make a bulletproof (although rather twisted) PR statement from EA. My apologies.

On a side note - I wonder how far they are actually willing to go. I'm sure they employ intelligent people and must had anticipated the anger this statement would eventually cause (among ME3 owners).
The statement, while taken out of context and cleverly worded (as you pointed out), is plain unacceptable and morally wrong.

Guys. Listen to me for second. It's time to let this thing go. It's dumb, yes. All PR and marketing is dumb though. If it was 100% honest, it would fail at doing what it's meant to do.

Now, I'd really like to see where this picture originally came from. (Here's the article the quote is from)

So a very common act of using vague but technically literal proof to sell a product equals trolling? Go to your room internet, adjusting your standards based on your emotions isn't allowed.

Well, you know what they say. There is no such thing as bad publicity.

dumbshits. I don't know how many people thought that EA would just wither and die after the campaigns...

MelasZepheos:

Dreadman75:
snip.

Yes, but you are not a videogame reviewer. EA will never read your review, and to be perfectly honest no one else will either. Even those who do read it won't care because, as mentioned, you have no standing or status to make those statements.

Just because you don't think it was a perfect game doesn't mean that actual reviewers won't have given it perfect scores. As long as 75% of them have done so, EA is perfectly within their rights to say that it's received 75% perfect scores, because it has.

I never said I was a game reviewer. And I don't expect anyone from EA to read my 'review' as you put it. That wasn't a review by any means anyway. As I said, twice, it was just my opinion and you can take from that what you will.

The only point I was trying to make was that the game wasn't perfect, citing my own experience with game itself. I don't know if the reviewers that gave the game a perfect score experienced the glitches and bugs I did. I was just giving my own input.

Oh EA, you cheeky little buggers!
Not like I buy any of your games anyway... other than Bulletstorm, but that was an accident!

Sniper Team 4:
Well, everything in that add is technically correct. "Perfect" is a matter of opinion, and while I wouldn't call the game perfect (and not just because of the ending, but other things too), I would say it's pretty darn good.

Irrelevant. "over 75 perfect scores" is completely true. It doesn't matter what you define as a perfect title. 75 reviewers gave it a 5/5, 10/10, 100/100, or A+/zerboogihawdy.

burningdragoon:
Guys. Listen to me for second. It's time to let this thing go. It's dumb, yes. All PR and marketing is dumb though. If it was 100% honest, it would fail at doing what it's meant to do.

Now, I'd really like to see where this picture originally came from. (Here's the article the quote is from)

Ah ha. Thank you! I've been minorly stalking this thread in hopes that someone would post the article that the quote came from.

And... I also agree with your point. EA is trying to sell their game, just as anyone else would try to sell their product. So they're not about to put, "A section of our fanbase has been overwhelmed with uncontrollable rage at the ending of this game!" on an ad. Of course they aren't. Somehow, I don't think that'd really accomplish what they wanted. People can believe EA is horrible (and whatever all else people have been angry about) all they want to, but putting forth a PR spin as proof rings a bit hollow, in my opinion.

clearly we need to find the 75 critics that gave those scores and beat some sense into them

5t3v0:
Well, you know what they say. There is no such thing as bad publicity.

If that were true, Ubisoft wouldn't have slashed their dev teams, EA wouldn't have addressed the Retake movement at all, and WWE wouldn't see stocks plummet based on fictional events.

dreadedcandiru99:

That's one way of putting it, I guess. It's like how the Titanic provoked a bigger cruise line passenger reaction than any other ship in maritime history.

(captcha: "Gotham City." Awesome. That's a step up from the car ads, at least.)

Remember people.

LOTS OF SPECULATION FOR EVERYONE!!!!!

imahobbit4062:

Harb:

MelasZepheos:

And the second part is also completely true. Can you name another game that has provoked a bigger fan reaction? Not positive or negative...

World of Warcraft. Modern Warfare 2. Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Ain't sure there are more, but this sample should be sufficient.

None of those had as big a reaction than the ending to ME3 did.

The real name thing Blizzard tried implementing did, though that wasn't specifically about the game. It's the only other time I can think of with a reaction like the ME3 ending debacle.

LiberalSquirrel:

burningdragoon:

Ah ha. Thank you! I've been minorly stalking this thread in hopes that someone would post the article that the quote came from.

And... I also agree with your point. EA is trying to sell their game, just as anyone else would try to sell their product. So they're not about to put, "A section of our fanbase has been overwhelmed with uncontrollable rage at the ending of this game!" on an ad. Of course they aren't. Somehow, I don't think that'd really accomplish what they wanted. People can believe EA is horrible (and whatever all else people have been angry about) all they want to, but putting forth a PR spin as proof rings a bit hollow, in my opinion.

And the real kicker is that the part of the article the quote is from is actually mostly positive, saying the reaction is so strong because everything else about the series was so special. So really, it's barely spin as it is.

burningdragoon:

LiberalSquirrel:

burningdragoon:

And the real kicker is that the part of the article the quote is from is actually mostly positive, saying the reaction is so strong because everything else about the series was so special. So really, it's barely spin as it is.

Exactly. Undoubtedly, you've got people that would say that the article writer is the one putting a spin on things... and there's already a few comments on this very forum acting like EA/Bioware are the ones saying the quote... but as for the actual topic of this thread, I think it's a perfectly valid use. And, even more than that, I found myself being quite happy to read that article, because it's pretty much stating my exact opinion on the whole ending debacle.

dreadedcandiru99:

That's one way of putting it, I guess. It's like how the Titanic provoked a bigger cruise line passenger reaction than any other ship in maritime history.

(captcha: "Gotham City." Awesome. That's a step up from the car ads, at least.)

Ha, nice analogy. Companies will take anything these days and spin it this way or that to get some more cash.

MelasZepheos:
Can you name another game that has provoked a bigger fan reaction? Not positive or negative, because it doesn't specify that on the ad, but a 'bigger' reaction from the fans?

Not specifically about the end but, Final Fantasy XIII certainly provoked as much fan reaction. Or Aerith's death in FFVII...

But for end, you may be right, I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Sizzle Montyjing:
Not like I buy any of your games anyway... other than Bulletstorm, but that was an accident!

I'm just as guilty, I bought two of their games without a second thought (Dead Space 1 and 2). I bought all the DLCs for each Dead Space game even though I felt the Severed DLC for Dead Space 2 was a rip off because it was so short :{ ... i'm to much of a Dead Space fan to care.

OT: Well as much as I wish to warn new comers of ME3 that it's a trap set by EA and this is just another one of their attempts to market... I am not mad by it, or even upset. I can see why they pulled this out- they had to. The fans reaction was probably more then ever expected and the outrage is making them think around it. Sure I side with the fans who are against the ending and will support their movement one way or another, but I have to also see where EA stands. If they didn't do this, they'd be running out of ways to dig themselves out the pit. Not that it matters, I sort of have this feeling it's sinking on it's own at this point in time.

They tout DA2 and SW:TOR as successes too, this is no surprise.

Thoric485:
They tout DA2 and SW:TOR as successes too, this is no surprise.

To be fair, DA2 has no major-critic rankings below 3/5, which is fairly average, and sold reasonable well, which could be defined as a success from a developer/publisher point of view. I can't speak for TOR, though.

But really, this kind of thing isn't remotely uncommon in advertising and happens all the time. In fact, I would have been more surprised to not see something like this. Someone gets paid a lot of money simply for doing this kind of thing on a regular basis for a career, so yeah. Advertising. Not seeing the big deal.

That's... That's genius!
In all fairness though, the perfect scores came about regardless of the ending. People seem to forget how fantastic the rest of the game was.

Couldn't this go under that one claim about EA "falsely advertising" ME3? The two statements may be true, but they are not necessarily related. Someone without any prior knowledge wouldn't know that.

I am suddenly reminded of Kyubey. /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Kingjackl:

Adam Jensen:
What a bunch of assholes. If that image is genuine then EA has absolutely no respect for their customers. Which in return means we should boycott everything they make or publish.

An attitude like that is exactly why EA doesn't have any respect for their customers. It's also why their customers shouldn't deserve any respect.

I personally think the Entertainment Weekly quote is hilarious. I love how it takes all the ridiculous controversy surrounding the game and spins it into a nice bit of positive marketing, which the game deserves a bit more of. Whoever made that poster deserves some kind of trophy.

i personnally think their customers dont deserve any respect is because they're complacent and rather short sited

spartandude:

Kingjackl:

Adam Jensen:
What a bunch of assholes. If that image is genuine then EA has absolutely no respect for their customers. Which in return means we should boycott everything they make or publish.

An attitude like that is exactly why EA doesn't have any respect for their customers. It's also why their customers shouldn't deserve any respect.

I personally think the Entertainment Weekly quote is hilarious. I love how it takes all the ridiculous controversy surrounding the game and spins it into a nice bit of positive marketing, which the game deserves a bit more of. Whoever made that poster deserves some kind of trophy.

i personnally think their customers dont deserve any respect is because they're complacent and rather short sited

/irony.

Well, it's true!

I think probably the whole ME3 thing has got to the point now when people feel like they should play the game just so they can talk about it. "Being part of it" and all that jazz. So it's a fairly legitimate angle for an ad.

"It's prompted the biggest fan reaction of any game ever. So play it and see what you think."

Savagezion:

distortedreality:

Savagezion:
That's a typical EA move. It isn't stupid, I'll give them that.

It's a typical marketing move.

Really, why would anyone expect any different? They're not going to come out and say "don't buy our game because the ending isn't great".

I was poking fun at how they are misleading the market. WoW pulled similar stuff and I know it isn't anything new. The "typical EA" part was a dig at the shady marketing practices employed when the game was in post production.

ME3's marketing has been boarderline (or blatantly) fraudulent or misleading since day one. This doesn't even begin to surprise me.

And yeah, they're trolling the fans at this point. Of course, one of their very first reactions to the fan outrage was "Hey look at how many critics are suckin our dicks with all these perfect scores. Why the hell should we care what you dorks think? We already got your money, now on your knees with the rest of them." I'm paraphrasing, of course.

Fantastic adverting department at EA, I'll give them that

Savagezion:

distortedreality:

Savagezion:
That's a typical EA move. It isn't stupid, I'll give them that.

It's a typical marketing move.

Really, why would anyone expect any different? They're not going to come out and say "don't buy our game because the ending isn't great".

I was poking fun at how they are misleading the market. WoW pulled similar stuff and I know it isn't anything new. The "typical EA" part was a dig at the shady marketing practices employed when the game was in post production.

Welcome to the world of marketing its all about twisting the truth to your own benefit.

well thats going to piss people off thats for sure

It's depressing how angry this ad makes me.

That's hilarious.
It's a shame that it'll successfully pull some poor dullards into buying the game though. I hope and wish that that isn't the case, but I can't deny that it is.

Ha, brilliant. I'm fine with them putting it up there, because frankly, Mass Effect 3 was fricken awesome.

Indecipherable:
Remember they are not changing the story because of integrity.

This whole thing is simply excruciating.

Javik/From Ashes.

What was that about integrity?

If you actually bring him on few missions (Asari planet, to name the most important), he says things that COMPLETELY change shit about Asaris, Protheans and their input in the development of races from current cycle. This isn't Kasumi or Zaeed that have one loyalty mission and few fun remarks on ship/during conversations, it's plot-relevant information. Frankly, during mentioned mission where Liara says "Beacon is probably reacting to the imprints in you, Shepard!" (paraphrased), to which Javik responds "Or the Prothean standing right here". It's basically implied that Javik was meant to be in the original game. Same with his comments on Thessia, about how the asari goddesses were actually Protheans uplifting and protecting asaris.

Either you keep "integrity" from start to end or you shut up. It's almost as dumb as the "It's art!" excuse.

I would love to add to that quote at the bottom BECAUSE IT WAS SHIT.

Abedeus:

Indecipherable:
Remember they are not changing the story because of integrity.

This whole thing is simply excruciating.

Javik/From Ashes.

What was that about integrity?

If you actually bring him on few missions (Asari planet, to name the most important), he says things that COMPLETELY change shit about Asaris, Protheans and their input in the development of races from current cycle. This isn't Kasumi or Zaeed that have one loyalty mission and few fun remarks on ship/during conversations, it's plot-relevant information. Frankly, during mentioned mission where Liara says "Beacon is probably reacting to the imprints in you, Shepard!" (paraphrased), to which Javik responds "Or the Prothean standing right here". It's basically implied that Javik was meant to be in the original game. Same with his comments on Thessia, about how the asari goddesses were actually Protheans uplifting and protecting asaris.

Either you keep "integrity" from start to end or you shut up. It's almost as dumb as the "It's art!" excuse.

I don't even know what you are talking about. Can you actually state your point?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked