If you designed an FPS, what would it be like?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

After replaying through the nostalgia trip of Halo Anniversary, it made me think about if I was a game designer what kind of FPS would I design.

Plot - When an evil fast food conglomerate takes over the world, a group of ragtag twenty-somethings and a talking wise-cracking penguin take it upon themselves to save the world.

Gameplay:
- no cover mechanics
- no iron sight aiming
- gameplay consists of two primary styles to keep thing interesting
-running and gunning as the leader of the resistance and the penguin would be dual wield pistols (just go with it) and be used like the imp from The Darkness 2
-stealth sections about gathering intel or assassinating important bad guysin unique areas like monasteries, office buildings, military buildings, and a beach resort
- One rail shooter section in a hovercraft

If you designed an fps, what would it be like?

Abstract, procedurally generated, lots of guns with interesting mechanics, doom-style projectile dodging, co-op, and capable of using player music a la Audiosurf or 1, 2, 3, Kick It (drop that beat like an ugly baby.)

I'd just end up making AvP 2 for the PC because that game fucking rocked. :P

More emphasis on making the player feel connected to the actual game world, rather than simply being a floating camera with a gun.

It sounds a little abstract, but when you look at the mechanics of your average FPS game now, there are so many ways developers could improve immersion simply by tweaking things and trying out a few different ideas. Something like giving your character weight, and allowing them to be thrown around by explosions and such. Remember that Battlefield 3 trailer, and how awesome it was when the player character got rocketed away from that rocket explosion? How much cooler would shooter games be if stuff like that happened outside of set-pieces, and physics had a real effect on the position and momentum of your character. Right now, FPS games feel anchored at 90 degrees. Your character stands upright with his feet flat against the ground, and no matter if you're crouching, or even lying prone, that 90 degrees from the ground will be the standard viewpoint through which you'll view the entirety of the game, no matter how much you should be getting buffeted around by explosions and shaky terrain.

Another thing would be allowing more direct interaction between the player and obstacles in the environment. Right now, shooter games are designed as strict corridors, with certain objects allowed to be scaled by the player, and the rest designed to keep them hemmed in and on the designated path. It creates the feeling that you're not really in a warzone, or a jungle, or inside an enemy base, you're simply on a museum tour with flashier exhibits than usual. I'd like to make an FPS game that actually allows you to scramble around and interact with the environment a bit. For all that it did wrong, Brink was very good at allowing you to overcome obstacles in inventive, creative ways. While I wouldn't want to go down the AC-parkour route, I would love it if players felt an incentive to actually explore and try srabbling round levels, rather than simply following a pre-determined path.

Less emphasis on scripted setpieces. This is one of the things that the Halo games have always excelled at. When compared to Call Of Duty, the setpieces that occur in the Halo games rely much, much more on player input. They are, in essence, directed by the player. This makes them more unpredictable, and potentially more dangerous, but also far more rewarding when something exciting happens. If you invest in a solid foundation of physics, AI, enemy design and weapons, you should be able to get the players to create your setpieces for you. A multiplayer example: me and some friends were playing some LAN Halo CE, deathmatch style. One of my friends was driving a Warthog, saw me, and decided to try and run me over. I saw him heading straight for me and, lacking many other options, lobbed a plasma grenade at him. It stuck to the bumper and blew up right as he was bearing down on me. The explosion killed him instantly, and sent the Warthog cartwheeling up and over me, landing on its wheels a good thirty feet the other side of me.

There was nothing scripted about that. Simply the combination of vehicle physics, weapon design, player input, and a metric shit-ton of luck. No scripted COD-style set piece can match that.

In terms of atmosphere, I'd probably go for a slightly more survival-esque feel than what's around now. Rather than handing players all the guns and ammo they need, they'd have to work to get their guns, and make sure to make every bullet count. Rather than going "Here's a heavy machine gun and 600 rounds of ammo, go nuts!" I'd be more inclined to go "There's a heavy machine gun and 200 rounds of ammo in that stash over there, behind the enemy outpost. Good luck!"

Most definitely iron-sights and reticule bloom. Say what you will, those little metal nubbins are put on guns for a reason.

Story wise... no idea. I quite like the idea of putting the player in the shoes of an average Joe forced to fight for survival as a nuclear doomsday slowly causes society to collapse, rather than making yet another nuclear shooter from the POV of a special ops soldier.

telocaster:
After replaying through the nostalgia trip of Halo Anniversary, it made me think about if I was a game designer what kind of FPS would I design.

Plot - When an evil fast food conglomerate takes over the world, a group of ragtag twenty-somethings and a talking wise-cracking penguin take it upon themselves to save the world.

Gameplay:
- no cover mechanics
- no iron sight aiming
-running and gunning as the leader of the resistance and the penguin would be dual wield pistols (just go with it) and be used like the imp from The Darkness 2
-stealth sections about gathering intel or assassinating important bad guysin unique areas like monasteries, office buildings, military buildings, and a beach resort

I would buy the shit out of that game. A penguin with pistols sounds like silliness that most shooters lack

Probably something a-la STALKER> I'd like a true survival game. Yes, even with the "boring" bits like, say, barricading a building to stop the hordes of enemies outside just a little bit longer.

Ever since playing the first Dead Rising, I've wanted a realistic, first person, zombie-survival game. Dead Island sounded perfect, but we all saw what happened to that.

As far as game mechanics go it would be a combination of the parkour system from Mirrors Edge, cover system from from Killzone 2, and the melee system from Condemned 2. The rest like art style and storyline I don't really know at the moment.

cgentero:
As far as game mechanics go it would be a combination of the parkour system from Mirrors Edge, cover system from from Killzone 2, and the melee system from Condemned 2. The rest like art style and storyline I don't really know at the moment.

So...Brink with better Melee? Not being rude, I find I am one of the 5 people on earth that actually likes Brink, so this is a compliment from me.

As for me...not unlike this, actually. Brink with better Melee AND a better story sounds like something I'd enjoy. Or even just Rage with better movement, more crafting (preferably some craftable armor instead of 3 bad armor choices) and no cars. (Sorry ID, you guys are awesome, but shooters and racing games don't mix. They just don't. Not when you do them, anyway.) I never understood why people hated Rage so badly either. I mean, dynamite crossbow bolts, you! For that matter, even some DLC for Rage that simply adds craftable armor and allows you to move on foot through the vehicle sections would be the best shooter I could think of.

But then, I'm telling you what I want in a SHOOTER rather than a WESTERN RPG. As for a RPG-with-guns I'd just say Fallout: New Vegas. Preferably set somewhere else. Actually...New Vegas on the same map as Crysis 2. That would be epic - perfect mechanics and perfect story meets the only really well-designed urban area I've ever fought in. (BTW, the story and mechanics I'm referring to are New Vegas. I never did care much for the Crysis storyline as a whole, and every gun has WAY too much recoil.)

I'd probably make it like TF2, except with more permanent construction.

So like a team based, class-based war game which requires intensive base-building, but still has FPSing as the core gameplay mechanic.

So... more or less Savage 2.

lol.

If you haven't played Savage 2, go play it. It's awesome.

RJ 17:
I'd just end up making AvP 2 for the PC because that game fucking rocked. :P

if you could like comments, there would probably be around 3 or 4 billion from me for this. bless you, sir.

TF2+L4D

Literally the TF2 teams in L4D.

Simple:
You get a pistol. Occasionally, you may be able to use a silencer for it. Not too often, though.
And you fight zombies.
Lots of zombies.

There would probably be a plot in there somewhere, too.
(Really, I just want a game where being a pistolero is a valid playstyle)

I'd probably base mine off of a far cry model. A sandboxy open world shooter set in the jungle that emphasizes destruction. It would emphasize stealth as well as shooter mechanics and would be based in modern day times. Fire would be a key element and there would be an option to set fire to trees, make the enemies scatter, and then pick off the un-burnt. It would have a full night day cycle and you can plan missions accordingly. Enemies as well as you will need to sleep or you and them will be more disorientated. You can set traps for enemies so they do not find your base, which will be in the middle of enemy territories and will be guarded by only you and your wits.

When you choose a type of base you can make one on the ground, which is easier to see but more defensible. In the trees which will be harder to see, but enemies can burn you out. Or underground which will be harder to see, but you will be able to lose your home base relatively easily. as the game progresses you will be able to upgrade your base as well as the traps that guard your base. The game will emphasize the character and natural human functions (eating sleeping etc) but will also have your sanity come into question. As the game progresses, your character being a lone for a long enough time will make him paranoid and slightly crazy, this would include hearing bushes rustling or even seeing an "enemy" shifting in and out of the trees. If you don't sleep enough you will not be able to aim your gun as well and you will hallucinate if you lose enough sleep.

That would be the perfect shooter for me

Your character is a late 19th century weapons developer from England.

When an army (which is from the FUTURE) of intelligent dinosaurs goes back in time to rewrite history, you grab some weapon schematics that you were working on and head back with them, intent on keeping evolution's primary course.

A sample weapon:

A rapid-fire cane launcher- It's able to fire 30 pristine condition wooden canes in 30 seconds. It basically pins enemies to things!

OR

A game with the setting of Dead Rising 1/2, with a first person view of Call of Duty, with the openness of Dead Island (or other sandbox games) and melee combat similar to Condemned 1/2.... With various creatures, dead and undead!

That would be awesome

I think I would just make the next Tribes game. It would be multiplayer focused and I would add in some new groups, make some new classes (like a melee specced one), and open up options for everyone with weapons, packs, grenades, and perk choices

Although I would also make a nice single player where you could explore the setting and learn how to do everything. I would start fallout 3 styles and have the protagonist literally just be born. Then they would experience life in their chosen tribe till they reached maturity. Then the story would begin centering around the inter political structure of the tribe, expanding its society and territory, and dealing with dangers that the tribes face constantly

A Raging Emo:
Probably something a-la STALKER> I'd like a true survival game. Yes, even with the "boring" bits like, say, barricading a building to stop the hordes of enemies outside just a little bit longer.

Ever since playing the first Dead Rising, I've wanted a realistic, first person, zombie-survival game. Dead Island sounded perfect, but we all saw what happened to that.

Question: would they be headshot zombies or 28 days later type zombies. I've always wanted a shooter where the zombies were walking zombies that required headshots to kill them

I would make it so that everything is an actual in game object. Want to throw that radiator at someone? Go ahead! Wanna hijack that tank? Jump on it open the hatch and do it! Wanna load that giant nuke onto a truck and drive into the enemy base? Sure thing! Wanna break the window on the space station, killing everyone because of lack of air? That's totally fine! Anything you want to do, within the physical capabilities of your character, you can do it.

A tactical run and gun gibfest. You lead a squad of fellows in small combat mechs against a demonic horde.

Probably a shameless rip off of Timesplitters.

It would SUUUUUUUCK. Not to mention it would be nearly impossible to understand what the hell is going on half the time.

If I designed a FPS....it would suck....
Im not really a certified video game designer am I?

A coop survival rpg-ish game kinda of like..Borderlands in a Castlevania Setting. Where you play as slayers fighting supernatural and mythical creatures. Stuff like crossbows, the occasional pistol, pitchforks?, torches necessary for lighting dark areas (requiring teamwork because you have to have someone hold the torches/lanterns) and good block/dodge/parry melee combat (which can be done good in the first person perspective). Could even just be a straight up survival waves mode if done right. And I want vampires that die from stakes in the heart and werewolves that die from silver (these are the only ways they can be killed). Character customization is cosmetic (no armor with stats) and I wanna say no skill trees, just a reliance on weapon based combat. And no stats on weapons either, they all handle differently.

doomspore98:

A Raging Emo:

Question: would they be headshot zombies or 28 days later type zombies. I've always wanted a shooter where the zombies were walking zombies that required headshots to kill them

Imagine "Walking Dead" style zombies. From the comics.

Here's a few general ideas I've had about a multiplayer shooter I've got. Not really sure on balance or some of the other stuff, but things I've been thinking about off and on for a while.

1) It's gonna be fast. Like Tribes fast. I've been playing Tribes Ascend the last few days and I had forgotten just how fun it was to crank the speed up to 11.

2) The weapons are going to be whacky. I'm not talking Painkiller style shurikens-and-lightning type stuff. I'm aiming for Armed & Dangerous style "gun that shoots a shark that swims through the ground and bursts up under people to eat them" or "a giant corkscrew you plug into the ground and the whole universe flips over so everything falls into the sky". I've actually been kicking around a handful of ideas for something like this on the off chance I stop being so ridiculously lazy and do something about it.

The tamest weapon on that list is one that fires bolts of lightning and each shot builds up a charge that dissipates over time. If the charge passes a threshold, the gun magnetizes and every loose object hit by the lightning in the last 20 seconds or so gets sucked into melee range with the player. If anyone wants to know of the rest, I will gladly share.

3) The maps are pretty huge. It comes with the territory of everything being so fast, but the maps really do need to support it and I'd have to take that into account. There'd also be a few close-in maps designed to keep people moving as much as possible and encourage jousting style attacks.

4) It would be quasi-class based. Similar to how Tribes Ascend does it, there'd be "levels" of armor/health with certain qualities associated with it. For example, one of the heavy classes would have an ability to root themselves in place for a dramatic increase in both damage and accuracy, but similarly dramatic decrease in armor, which would make them a good artillery unit but really bad at the front lines. Any class would be able to use any weapon though. The player would set 2 weapons from one of 2 completely separate lists (there wouldn't be complete overlap, you get a list of primary weapons and list of secondaries and can choose from each instead of just a pool of weapons) and be able to use them with any class. I'm not sure if I'd include multiple varieties of grenades. Most likely not, but if so it wouldn't extend past "flashbang", "frag grenade", and "sticky grenade".

A Raging Emo:

Question: Will the zombies be metaphors for humans? Or just zombies for zombies sakes?

ALSO: Do you support the Undead's right to live a la CURE from Dead Rising 2? They're people too! (except with a hunger for human brains/flesh...)

I would have to go with an actual MMO FPS, no, not like fucking Crossfire or any of those other arena FPS'es that claim to be MMO's, I mean something like Planetside, but on an even larger scale.

to put it into a X meets Y and a hit of Z, it would be like Planetside, but have a play area the size of Darkfall or World of Warcraft, and just a hint of Eve Online.

You get the rock paper scissors of Planetside's weapons, one type beats vehicles, while another beats deployables while yet another is better against troops.

A freaking huge area to explore and promptly wage war in, and I mean XBOX HUEG.

Then you get the clan/corporation/markets of Eve.

Gameplay wise, you could be rank >9000 but someone who just started would still have a chance to defend himself. In a way it would be like Face of Mankind in that aspect, no matter how long you have been playing, almost every weapon available would be available at rank 1.

there would be a cover base mechanic at work, but nothing like poping behind a car and taking no damage, instead you could only go into cover at two points, premade and player made.

Premade of course would be at outposts and bases, player made, while not as good as the premade ones, could be moved anywhere.

also, there would be a mandatory dance mechanic.

It'd be trippy.

Realistic mechanics, but in a totally out there environment. Space combat with the alien people of Makrakan Six, using acid squirt guns and freeze rays. Jetpacks if you want them, the ability to skate if you don't. Microwave guns. Robot dinosaurs. Space dogs.

Pretty much, nuts and comedic as can be.

PsychicTaco115:

A Raging Emo:

Question: Will the zombies be metaphors for humans? Or just zombies for zombies sakes?

ALSO: Do you support the Undead's right to live a la CURE from Dead Rising 2? They're people too! (except with a hunger for human brains/flesh...)

Zombies for zombies sake. I don't think we can ever have too many zombies; I feel that almost every single first person shooter should have some sort of survival mode, and Zombies are an ideal way to implement that.

Yes, I do support it, however once they have turned completely they are no longer considered "Human", and unless loved ones can turn them back to their previous self, they will be treated as non-human, and therefore, a threat.

However CURE will be provided by the NHS to all who require it.

For starters, All of the guns in my game would shoot food instead of bullets.

Instead of terrorists, zombies, aliens, whatever, all of the enemies will be various robot monkeys and apes.

The main character will be the loch ness monster

And the soundtrack will be recorded by the greatest Queen cover band in London.

AND it will only cost $39.95

It would be Call of Duty MW, but with swords. Swords, and axes, and pole arms.
Shields too. And parrying, and dodging. Oh, and grenades. You can throw your weapon too.

Yeah... and kill streaks would still be in the game. But they cost alot more. If you wanna fly a chopper and shoot people with it, youve gotta hit 20 kills. Care packages are 8.

It would be a very high skill cap with games. Where a single man who knows perfect timings and who keeps his cool can 1v4 and come out on top. And no death streaks. Death streaks get you put on the wall of shame, and stuck in a noobzone till you get good enough to bounce back to the regular zone.

Also customizable armor, that effects your stats and defenses.

Mine would have a bit of a sense of fuck you logic. Also i kinda dislike FPS so you could alternate between FPS and third person. There would be cover but tapping your partner does not revive them. Healing items would not work instantly they would be used on teammates and they need to mates need cover while they take effect. You dash and shoot and to trick shots that involve acrobats and perfectly time shots while doing acrobatic skills, like running up a wall fliping off the wall and when you in mid air directly over an enemy you perform a head shot. Low gravity of course too.

telocaster:

Gameplay:
- no cover mechanics
- no iron sight aiming

that sound like a suda 51 game id play that also the fps id design would be an alien invasion story where you are an alien and humans are the bad guys. also it would show that alien beings are probably just as humanly flawed as we are. also no cover combat, theres a weapon wheel and no regenerating health.

Post apocalyptic MMORPG, No really :P
I'd like it to be similar to STALKER and Metro 2033, but much larger and as it would be an MMO a focus on team work would be pushed, so no one man army BS.
Weapon parts and ammo would have to scavenged and such.
Basically a full on survival shooter.

ThePS1Fan:
TF2+L4D

Literally the TF2 teams in L4D.

I don't play TF2 much, if ever...but that sounds freakin' hilarious.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
MASSIVE SNIP

These are all really nice ideas. I approve.

To add something original to the mix, I'd take Jeffer's idea and combine it with the gameplay from SWAT 4 (admittedly, I've never play it, but I've seen Spoony's LP). Here are the things I'd emphasize:

SINGLE-PLAYER or SYSTEM-LINK/LAN ONLY
Since you'd be a close-knit team of SWAT officers, I'd want the playing environment to reflect that. You and your fellow gamers able to actually communicate with each other effectively, rather than getting stuck with the Leeroys of random matchmaking.

OPEN ENVIRONMENTS
Say a group of bad guys have taken a bunch of school kiddies hostage. Since my example is a school, you would have the ability to enter through any door and proceed through the level in any fashion you wish. Start in the gym, or the auditorium? And where do you go from there? Ideally, the team leader would dictate orders, but you could Leeroy Jenkins off anywhere, you idiot.

INTERACTIVE ENVIRONMENTS
Along the same lines and using the same mission example, the ability to cut the lights, or activate the sprinkler system, or wheel lunchtables around as mobile cover. Destructable environments, too, so you can blow your way through walls or jump through windows or whatever.

MORE THAN JUST GUNS
Other tools like tazers, pepper spray, flashbangs, lockpicks, NVGs, wire cutters, door wedges, flexi-cuffs, and so forth are all at your disposal. And since your a team of 4-8 men, each person can have a role in the squad.

HARDCORE HEALTH
No regenerating health, and region-specific damage. Shot in the legs? Can't run. Shot in the arms? Good luck aiming. To up the ante a bit, maybe you bleed out fairly quickly upon getting shot, which drastically slows once you place a bandage over it to slow blood flow. Which, since you can't do it in active combat, means you either have to end combat quickly, or take cover to heal while trusting teammates to protect you.

MISSION OBJECTIVES
Rather than "Kill everyone" or "Get to the End", maybe we could mix it up. Things like "Save All the Hostages" or "Hack the Mainframe" or "Capture the Terrorist Alive" would be interesting changes. Part of this would also be the fact that you would have to get in AND out of the level. You start the level in the SWAT van, it ends when you get leave the building and have completed the objectives. In the mission example above, it would end when all the hostages are safe, the wounded hostages and goons are being taken to the hospital/loaded into cop cars, and maybe you could help out by aiding the EMTs on the wounded or something.

MISSION LOCATIONS
Like the above, mix it up. Maybe a simple suburban house one mission, then some tight-knit urban apartments, than a bank, then a skyscraper complex (complete with the option to either use the stairs, elevator, or land on the roof), then a government agency, etc, etc. Depending on the place, other rules apply: you can't destroy the walls of one mission because of its historical/political importance, for example.

COMBAT
Since the health system is so difficult, the focus on combat would be making sure it gets initiated on your team's terms and time. The gunplay would function fairly similarly to most shooters like CoD of BF: left-click to shoot, right-click to aim, other button for attachment, blahblahblah. I would want to mix up melee combat a bit somehow...not sure, though. Make it a bit slower and add the ability to block or something. Of course, you can still get shot while in melee... And you can can also stealth kill/KO enemies if you get too close, of course. Depending on the weapons you use, enemies can either be killed or taken alive, although you'll have to carry them around if you want them to go anywhere else.

ENEMIES
Make them smart. Make them work well together. Make them have the same combat and health system as the SWAT team. Of course, the AI depends on who they are. Random junkies robbing the gas station are perhaps a bit more twitchy and stupid compared to the Mafia crew holding up a bank. Better crews work together better. Also--make them visually different from the SWAT team!
In the school mission, assuming the terrorists are Al-Qaeda-style jihadists, they keep in contact with each other. If they notice a dead body or see or hear you, they call it in so everybody knows, is on the alert for you, and start executing hostages. Then their alert status never goes away.

TLDR, a highly realistic and difficult co-op SWAT game.

Wow, that got to be really long. Enjoyed writing it, though.

It'd be a combination of Doom (secrets, no health regen, general fast-paced...well..pace, overall the stuff that made classic FPSes classic) and Bulletstorm (skillshots for RPG elements, charges, something like the leash, the Duke Nukem-esque Mighty Foot, the boneduster, etc.). I dunno how I'd do it, but I'd find a way.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked