Have you ever played through a game and completely missed a game play feature?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

after several playthroughs of mass effect 2 i found out you can holster your weapons.

I think there was something in a Mass Effect game that I didn't realize until the very end but I don't remember what.

In Bioshock I had only just realized you could aim down sights only shortly before the big twist, and I only found it on accident, and I remapped quite a few keys and still didn't notice it there. Lets just say I had finally found a use for the crossbow.

For some reason I just know I've done this more times, but I can't remember most of them right now for some reason. I think there was something in Super Mario RPG that a friend told me at least after the half-way point of the game. I think it had to do with the quick-time events in battles you can do. Maybe it was the defensive ones, but I don't even remember if they did that in SMRPG. I know I at least knew about the offensive ones.

I guess I could count Micromanagement in any RTS I've played, considering that I didn't even know what that meant for the longest time. (I'm not good at RTS games)

Nieroshai:

The Pinray:
Yadda yadda yadda

Tip for Fable 3: make as much money as humanly possible prior to even trying to start the rebellion. Then it won't matter what decision you make. Prior to the revolt, you have all the time in the world. Just keep in mind how much money you actually need. Your brother isn't going anywhere.

EDIT: this is what I came on to post, having waited until after the rebellion to raise gold, but I figured this would be useful.

I was like two missions before the finale when I finally remembered that I could rent out property... Grahhh I ragequit until I got a friend to gift me all the money I needed to get out of debt AND get the the top threshold. Cheesy, I know, but I wasn't going to grind forever. If only it had the Fable II system of paying even when the game was off.

But on subsequent playthroughs I did indeed make mountains of money before overthrowing old Logan.

If only you were there to give me this advice back during my first playthrough. D': Would've saved me many hours of heart ache.

I'm struggling to find something that I missed, but I can't recall (at least for any of the games I've played).

I do recall one guy who didn't know you could charge the plasma pistol in Halo 1.

Other than that I play close attention to the tutorials every time.

Kyouhen:

Is this an Xbox thing? Because the PC version of Morrowind definitely has a sprint function.

Well it has a run function, not a sprint function. For PC you can toggle, for Xbox it's just pushing the stick forward.

I've never used squad commands in a single game that allows you to issue squad commands, mostly because I always assume teammate AI will be too stupid to follow my orders anyway.

A buddy of mine once played through all of Fear without realising you could slow down time.

I found out that in FEAR 2 you can use the bullet time thing on my second playthrough. Didn't really help me much though.

Lovely Mixture:
I'm struggling to find something that I missed, but I can't recall (at least for any of the games I've played).

I do recall one guy who didn't know you could charge the plasma pistol in Halo 1.

Other than that I play close attention to the tutorials every time.

Kyouhen:

Is this an Xbox thing? Because the PC version of Morrowind definitely has a sprint function.

Well it has a run function, not a sprint function. For PC you can toggle, for Xbox it's just pushing the stick forward.

hahahahahaha! this is a brilliant post! made me laugh a lot.

I didn't realise in Halo that you could stop charging that lazer cannon thing until my brother told me. I always assumed it would just continue to charge anyway, not realising if i merely took my finger off the right trigger it would power-down.

The Pinray:
In Kingdom Hearts I never knew that you could switch weapons. I beat the game using all defaults. I even beat Lance Bass.

In Final Fantasy X I didn't know about the sphere grid or until near the end of the game.

I went through most of Dragon Age: Origins without choosing any specializations.

I never knew you could taunt in Devil May Cry 3. Didn't know about swapping weapons and styles either.

In Fable III I completely forgot about buying property until I was about ten million gold in debt. Needless to say I was ever so slightly pissed.

I beat InFamous without knowing that you could switch which arm you shoot with by hitting an analogue stick. Not too useful, sure, but still a feature I missed.

I didn't know I could issue orders in Mass Effect.

And I didn't know about upgrading in the first few Ratchet titles.

There are more, but my memory isn't what it used to be.

In Kingdom hearts i purposefully use the default weapon until i get a worse one (such as "Sweet Memories" in KH2)

and someone else made a similar comment about Finak Fantasy 10 and i still can't understand how you actually managed to get that far through the game. I can understand missing out on the sphere grid, its got a stupidly long and boring tutorial 20 minutes in that i remember blindly pressing 'x' to skip through. But i had difficulty with some of the bosses and I did use the sphere grid. I can't see how someone can get through the game with level 1 characters... Unless they were purposefully trying to? (http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/197344-final-fantasy-x/faqs/16203). I suppose I am more congratulating you though for such persistence! some of those bosses must have been a right bitch and you'd have never realised why until you discovered the sphere grid.

Speaking of Ratchet and Clank, I've never actually gotten the RHINO weapons... -_- the shame

Kayevcee:

kortin:
Oh, I had a friend who also had no idea about the critical strikes in Super Mario RPG...somehow. He had a really hard time with the game.

Ohhh... somebody skipped Toad's tutorial. The silly sausage.

Guess he didn't know about timed hits!

Not sure if this counts as a feature (probably more like "I missed an entire level"), but I just remembered another good one from Kirby Super Star. In the sub-game "Milky Way Wishes", you can't eat enemies to gain their powers like you normally can; you have to find them within the seven levels you play through, and then you can switch to that power whenever you want (kinda like Mega Man's powers). I managed to get 18 of the abilities you can claim and use over and over. But when I looked at the menu for my powers, something bothered me. Next to the bar that listed controls for the menu (looking up the moveset or selecting it), there was one blue space left that looked like the size of the other images that represented your powers. I was, in fact, missing a power that I could get. I suspected it was the Copy Ability, but I looked everywhere in "Milky Way Wishes", and I couldn't find Copy anywhere.

I didn't know how to get that last 1% until I looked on GameFAQs years later (this was probably around the time the DS version was coming out). As it turns out, the Copy Ability IS in "Milky Way Wishes", but it's found in an EIGHTH level that you can visit. This eighth level (titled "?" when you visit it, but I think the walkthrough called it the "TAC Homeworld") can be accessed on the map screen for "Milky Way Wishes", but

It's one of those things that you can easily overlook at first, but once it's revealed to you, it sticks out like a sore thumb and you feel stupid for not noticing that before.

Through my first Skyrim playthrough, I didn't realize that I learned spells by using the spell books. I never touched them because I thought they were one-time use like the scrolls...
Though I was playing a warrior, so it didn't really matter that much.

riottrio:

The Pinray:
Snip

In Kingdom hearts i purposefully use the default weapon until i get a worse one (such as "Sweet Memories" in KH2)

and someone else made a similar comment about Finak Fantasy 10 and i still can't understand how you actually managed to get that far through the game. I can understand missing out on the sphere grid, its got a stupidly long and boring tutorial 20 minutes in that i remember blindly pressing 'x' to skip through. But i had difficulty with some of the bosses and I did use the sphere grid. I can't see how someone can get through the game with level 1 characters... Unless they were purposefully trying to? (http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/197344-final-fantasy-x/faqs/16203). I suppose I am more congratulating you though for such persistence! some of those bosses must have been a right bitch and you'd have never realised why until you discovered the sphere grid.

Speaking of Ratchet and Clank, I've never actually gotten the RHINO weapons... -_- the shame

I've never gotten the RHINO weapons either! D:

I honestly don't know how I got so far. I got to the part where Sin is trying to get to the air ship and you have to stop him. I finally decided to go to the menu and look at everything. I eventually figured out the sphere grid and spent lord knows how long using up all my points.

The bosses up until that were so damn hard. Took me ages to beat any of them. I thought the game was supposed to be impossibly hard. Needless to say my facepalm shook the earth. I literally almost cried (I was very young!).

Still, I can pat myself on the back about it now. It was pretty impressive. I tried to replicate the magic on purpose and I couldn't get past that one part where Seymour joins the party.

I think I was a better gamer when I was younger . . . Or at least more patient and persistent.

Loop Stricken:
Mass Effect 3 uses Select on the 360 pad to quicksave.

...WUT.

GOD DAMNIT, MASS EFFECT 3, ALL OF THOSE TIMES I COULDN'T SAVE IN THE MIDDLE OF A MISSION!

ajemas:
You can apparently aim down ironsights in Bioshock, something which would have come handy during some of the earlier parts of the game.

krazykidd:
I played through Catherine . And didn't realise there was a "back" button go go backwards in moves in case i made a mistake . So many deaths could have been avoided . But i did manage to beat it so ...

There's two things I've learned today.

I logged about 20 or 30 hours of Touhou before I discovered slow movement.

finished no more heroes and got the bad ending.
looked online for details and found out you could shadowstep around enemies.
not a single mention of it anywhere in the game as far as i can tell.

Today I found out something by accident. In Castlevania Symphony of the Night, you can get a sword called "the Sword of Dawn" which has the description "a sword that can summon an invincible legion." Now if you know Castlevania, all items and monsters have very cryptic superficial descriptions that usually don't mean anything. You already can summon a few familiars (one at a time via the menu) and they don't do much other than minor assistance.

But in this case, while button mashing, I found that it is not lying. Using the right combination of buttons you can summon a portion of the legion and it is very effective.

riottrio:

hahahahahaha! this is a brilliant post! made me laugh a lot.

While I am usually unintentionally funny (and am perfectly happy to be), in this case I have no idea what is amusing. Can you explain?

Gennadios:
The really long getting killed by a grapple animation in ME3 singleplayer were apparently quicktime events. I had no idea until I beat the game and played multiplayer.

Those are QTEs? Like when a Banshee kills you?

Scorekeeper:

Gennadios:
The really long getting killed by a grapple animation in ME3 singleplayer were apparently quicktime events. I had no idea until I beat the game and played multiplayer.

Those are QTEs? Like when a Banshee kills you?

Yeah. Im surprised how many other ppl had no idea, Bioware fucked up somewhere.

I played through all of thief deadly shadows on xbox in 3rd person. Didn't realize there was a first person mode.

Republik. I dont know how to do ONE DAMN THING in that game. Its like Microsoft Excel if it were a communist rebel leader

Brutal Legend. Apparently one could upgrade units. I didn't learn this until a month after I had already beat the game. XD

Shoggoth2588:
I never had to issue any squad-orders in Mass Effect or 2 (outside of the mandatory tutorial ones)

I never played Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer either.

That's all I've got off the top of my head.

Good for you sir! That's some true will right there.

Played all through Halo 1 and never used the all-powerful pistol.

It never occurred to me that it would be so powerful, or that it would have a zooming scope, bloody hell.

Mass Effect 1....I was watching my mate play it, and he made the mako jump!! That blew my mind since I had already finished it and didnt know that....

I played the first Syberia game and walked the entire time....found out that in the second game you held down B on the X box controller to run....

In Final Fantasy XIII I can honestly say that I never used the store

Yup! I played through final fantasy tactics advance without ever using a law card.

Quick healing in the first Dead Space. I finally found out about it when I was playing Dead Space 2, but only because of an in-game tutorial thing.
I should read game manuals more often...

BiggyShackleton:
Holding A in Fallout 3 & NV allows to drink continuously.

Did not know that at all =p

Mine is that it was only about 60 hours into "Oblivion" that I found I could wait using the back key. I assumed whenever I had to wait until a particular time I literally had to do so, so I would go and amuse myself in game so that the time would pass xD

My first play through the Original Saints Row, I never knew you could get out of the car during the drug-running activity.

Aiming through the freaking sights in Bioshock.
I played through the entire game twice before discovering that there are sights.
As i was a gun-focused player this made me feel stupid.

As for me, well I had no idea you could choke people from behind on Metal Gear Solid 1, which could have saved me a lot of effort. As for MGS2, don't even go there, I was young and might as well been playing it with only the left analog stick. I missed every gameplay feature that was non essential.

malestrithe:
First time I played Resident Evil 4, I walked everywhere. I was after I defeated the final boss that I realized that I could run.

Wow, poor you. I know someone who had no idea what the attache cases were, so he spent the whole game with the smallest item storage.

Almost, I got through 2 thirds of Ico before discovering that you can swing on chains. Of course this was only after spending almost 2 hours trying to solve a puzzle where you couldn't jump off of them far enough in the right direction

I played a warrior in WoW to 60 without getting defensive stance
Back in Vanilla
Boy was that funny realizing it.

Nothing else springs to mind.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked