Leveling up Smithing in Skyrim with the new patch?

As I'm sure most people who played the game knew, smithing Iron Daggers was the easiest way to get your Smithing levels up before. Now with the new patch the amount of XP you get is based on the worth of the item you're creating.

Anyone here know an efficient way to level up like before? A certain piece of armor or a weapon I should focus on?

I would make jewellery, like Gold rings and Necklaces or Silver/Gold jewelled Rings/Necklaces if you have the gemstones.

Gold is really easy to make yourself with the Transmute spell (which turns Iron Ore into Silver Ore and Silver Ore into Gold Ore) and the spell itself is relatively easy to obtain.

I don't think any Iron Armour would be as valuable as Gold jewellery once you factor in the raw materials (2 Rings or 1 Necklace at 150 Septims is probably the most valuable item you can make per 2 pieces of Iron Ore).

Dwarven Bows would be another efficient weapon to spam if you can find lots of scrap Dwarven metal to smelt.

Just do the highest armour you are able to craft. I believe that the new xp gain works off how expensive the item you create is, so making the main body armour pieces should be the best xp.

They patched the Iron Daggers grinding?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! MUST INSTALL MODS TO NULLIFY SAID PATCH!

Jamash:
I would make jewellery, like Gold rings and Necklaces or Silver/Gold jewelled Rings/Necklaces if you have the gemstones.

Gold is really easy to make yourself with the Transmute spell (which turns Iron Ore into Silver Ore and Silver Ore into Gold Ore) and the spell itself is relatively easy to obtain.

I don't think any Iron Armour would be as valuable as Gold jewellery once you factor in the raw materials (2 Rings or 1 Necklace at 150 Septims is probably the most valuable item you can make per 2 pieces of Iron Ore).

Dwarven Bows would be another efficient weapon to spam if you can find lots of scrap Dwarven metal to smelt.

As for finding gold ore directly, Kolsdegger Mine near Markarth is absolutely great. 51 gold ores from 17 ore veins (not including ores you pick up)

After making the jewellery, I'd recommend enchanting them too. Just use petty/lesser soul gems that you probably won't use for a more useful enchantment. Hell, I even use greater soul gems sometimes if I have enough grand souls left.

I would also recommend Dwarven Bows as clearing one Dwemer Ruin with a companion (to carry junk) you could probably get ~80 ores maybe. That's like 40 bows.

:P I haven't played Skyrim since December, as such I haven't downloaded the patch for it yet. As such, I'll likely finish up my Smithing before playing that game while on XBox Live....whenever it is that I get back to playing that game. :3

I suggest jewelry. Finding gems is really simple, and the smiths almost always stock silver ore.

Thanks for the tips guys, I never even knew of the Transmute Spell before...would've been useful on my first playthrough.

player.setav Smithing 100 ;)

I didn't even make iron daggers I used leather.
surely it'd still work it'd just take longer?

If not by the time you get to 50-60 in smithing you should have ridiculous amounts of money to spend, so just buy all the smith's ingots and make stuff out of that?

Transmute? Craft a double shit ton of iron daggers? Use the Oghma Infinium glitch to powerlevel through anyway, in spite of the way they try to get you to do it for realsies by applying things like a gradient XP on such things?

Transmute can take quite a while. Personally I found transmuting to be incredibly tedious.

Davey Woo:

Well yeah... But the entire discussion here is regarding how to minimize time...

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Why not install a mod that just gives you 100 in smithing?

Jadak:

Davey Woo:

Well yeah... But the entire discussion here is regarding how to minimize time...

Which is why I put another suggestion in my post as well.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Don't worry: They didn't nerf Iron Dagger smithing. They merely buffed XP from the rest of the smithing skill so that Iron Daggers aren't the ONLY way to get a decent skill.

I hope... Right?

They patched that?!

Holy shit. This changes future play-throughs drastically.

Scow2:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Don't worry: They didn't nerf Iron Dagger smithing. They merely buffed XP from the rest of the smithing skill so that Iron Daggers aren't the ONLY way to get a decent skill.

I hope... Right?

Nope, Iron daggers give fuck all XP.
Golden Necklaces are the way to go now.

TakeshiLive:
After making the jewellery, I'd recommend enchanting them too. Just use petty/lesser soul gems that you probably won't use for a more useful enchantment. Hell, I even use greater soul gems sometimes if I have enough grand souls left.

I might as well add a little advice:

If you are a sneaky character, one of the best things to do is level up one-handed and get the perk for 15 times damage with a dagger sneak attack. Then get a Grand soul gem, and enchant a dagger with soul trap. Dial it down to "if target dies within 1 second" as it will be insta-kill on most anything, and that'll give you probably 1000+ uses depending on the type of dagger (dwarven gives more uses than iron, daedric more than dwarven, and so on). Soul gems are easy to find around caves, then just carry them around as you one-shot enemies and they fill up.

Personally, I eventually got a daedric dagger, fully smithed, and enchanted with a Grand soul gem. I had over 3000 uses before it would run out.

Couldn't you just raid a Dwarven ruin and craft a bunch of Dwarven items? What level perk is Dwarf smithing anyway? I actually don't know since I don't do smithing all that much. When I did, it was always Leather Helmets. Are they any better than daggers?

Jadak:

Davey Woo:

Command console? I mean, dagger thing was an exploit anyway, but then again, might not be a line you want to cross.

Et3rnalLegend64:
Couldn't you just raid a Dwarven ruin and craft a bunch of Dwarven items? What level perk is Dwarf smithing anyway? I actually don't know since I don't do smithing all that much. When I did, it was always Leather Helmets. Are they any better than daggers?

Daggers were more cost-effective.

lapan:

Et3rnalLegend64:

Daggers were more cost-effective.

I actually meant in terms of smithing EXP post-patch. I didn't realize that the game was patched recently.

I used leather because I already spent so much time blowing up wolves. I never wanted to use my metal for anything that wasn't important. It seems that will change now.

1. save
2. pay to train smithing
3. pickpocket gold back
4. level up both smithing and pickpocket
5. ?????????
6. profit!

note this works with any trainer just ensure you do it in manageable amounts of gold, have enchants to help you and have the cut purse skill (really easy to get as power leveling pick-pocket is easy)

Wait.......They took away my Iron Dagger grinding?

Oh well, smithing jewelery will have to do, selling them for a high price is an added bonus, I love DragonScale Armor and it looks like it's gonna have to wait, scaled armor will do.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked