Actions in Games That Made You Physically Uncomfortable.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I've seen a couple of threads pop up recently about the saddest moments in games or things that made you rage hard, and it got me thinking about the genuinely unpleasant situations games will occasionally plonk you down in.

I'm not talking about the flimsy moral choice systems games like Fable proudly tout --where your actions might upset you for a second then you move on and nothing of value was lost-- but times when you are actively involved in doing something you really don't want to for the sake of the greater good/progressing the game.

Edit: Do throw up some spoiler tags if you're going to reveal something big in a game.

Edit 2, Electric Boogaloo: There's been some confusion with the wording of my title, what I was trying to get across is that the games I'm talking about shouldn't just make you gasp or mutter 'fucking hell' under your breath, but actually give you that horrible feeling in the pit of your stomach either as a result of something that you had no control over or that you were forced to do.

Well you might want to say spoilers in the title. But the game I want to say it about a year old so if you haven't played it yet you are not going to.

Yeah I was going to throw up the spoiler blinkers, but the newest game I mentioned is like six years old so I figured it'd be like saying 'SPOILER: DARTH VADER IS TOTALLY LUKE'S DAD'.

Shooting the humanitarian lawyer in GTA IV. For a game that prided itself on choice and freedom and for a story about a guy who's trying to put his bad life behind him, this just took me out of the game. They could have done so much if they'd given us the option to walk away.

Heavy Rain. Pliers. Pinky finger.

Also, Dead Space 2. Eyeball.

Oh, and yeah, I found the Andrew Ryan scene a bit disquieting as well.

Several actions in the single-player campaign of CoD: Black Ops. Like the beginning of one mission, where you shove broken glass into a mans mouth and then punch him in the face to get him to tell you what he knows. That was fucked up, and I didn't want to do it. Oh well, 5 minutes later he's running across the rooftops with you, shooting bad guys, so apparently he didn't mind that much. *sigh*
Or at a later point in the game, when one of your buddies jumps out of the river and brutally slits some bad guys throat. And then makes a joke about it. It was at this point that I realized: I must actually be on the side of the psychopaths in this game. Okay, that wasn't MY action strictly speaking, but the fact that I was supposed to be this sick bastards friend DID make me uncomfortable.

Condemned had a good deal of really nasty violence. Case in point: Final boss. Eugh.

Mass Effect 3 spoilers follow, view at your own risk

I felt dirty after this, I had to play through as a good person again.

Yeah, definitely Heavy Rain - that was horrible.

Another shout out to Condemned 'cos that game had some twisted first-person melee violence.

And as final example Red Dead Redemption - walking outside at the end.... *sobs*

Brighton_Game_Trader:
Yeah, definitely Heavy Rain - that was horrible.

Another shout out to Condemned 'cos that game had some twisted first-person melee violence.

And as final example Red Dead Redemption - walking outside at the end.... *sobs*

Oh god that too, and then its even worse when

Red Dead Redemption was such a great game :'(

Fat_Hippo:
Several actions in the single-player campaign of CoD: Black Ops. Like the beginning of one mission, where you shove broken glass into a mans mouth and then punch him in the face to get him to tell you what he knows. That was fucked up, and I didn't want to do it. Oh well, 5 minutes later he's running across the rooftops with you, shooting bad guys, so apparently he didn't mind that much. *sigh*
Or at a later point in the game, when one of your buddies jumps out of the river and brutally slits some bad guys throat. And then makes a joke about it. It was at this point that I realized: I must actually be on the side of the psychopaths in this game. Okay, that wasn't MY action strictly speaking, but the fact that I was supposed to be this sick bastards friend DID make me uncomfortable.

Yeah, that reminds me of a part in Homefront, which as well as being a horrible game was some of the most alarmist propaganda bullshit I've ever seen.

Anyway, there's a part where you use phosphorous grenades or something to kill a bunch of enemy soldiers and one guy on your team says something like 'anyone else smell Korean barbecue?' One of the other characters pulls him up for it, but even so I thought it was a pretty horrible thing to joke about and didn't exactly give me that feeling of being one of the good guys.

Eddie the head:
Well you might want to say spoilers in the title. But the game I want to say it about a year old so if you haven't played it yet you are not going to. Killing Zeke at the end of Infamous 2 evil ending was Uncomfortable to say the least.

Reported for spoiling. Regardless of age you don't fucking spoil a game like that, it just makes you look like a prick.

OT: Strogg conversion in Quake 4.

imahobbit4062:

rob_simple:
Yeah I was going to throw up the spoiler blinkers, but the newest game I mentioned is like six years old so I figured it'd be like saying 'SPOILER: DARTH VADER IS TOTALLY LUKE'S DAD'.

Age means fuck all. You don't be a dick like that and spoil games without the spoiler titles, that is precisely what they are there for. Also reported.

Alright man, there's no need to swear so much. I fixed my original post. Also, sorry if I spoiled Star Wars for you.

rob_simple:

imahobbit4062:

rob_simple:

Age means fuck all. You don't be a dick like that and spoil games without the spoiler titles, that is precisely what they are there for. Also reported.

Alright man, there's no need to swear so much. I fixed my original post. Also, sorry if I spoiled Star Wars for you.

I already knew the ending of Bioshock and Star Wars, it's still a shitty thing to do. I've had both Infamous 2 endings and Arkham Citys ending spoiled because people didn't want to put spoiler tags because "the game has been out for x amount of time"

imahobbit4062:

Eddie the head:
Well you might want to say spoilers in the title. But the game I want to say it about a year old so if you haven't played it yet you are not going to. Killing Zeke at the end of Infamous 2 evil ending was Uncomfortable to say the least.

Reported for spoiling. Regardless of age you don't fucking spoil a game like that, it just makes you look like a prick.

You could have just asked politely instead of being a douche about that but ok.

Also I spelled politely wrong the first time.

Eddie the head:

imahobbit4062:

Eddie the head:

You could have just asked politely instead of being a douche about that but ok.

Also I spelled politely wrong the first time.

And you could have been polite and used spoiler tags, but you didn't.

imahobbit4062:

Yeah but I didn't' think there was anything wrong with that like I said it's been out for a while I thought anyone who cared played it already and I was wrong I guess. You know calling someone a prick is a rude thing to do.

Regardless of that that's no excuse. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

Eddie the head:

imahobbit4062:

Yeah but I didn't' think there was anything wrong with that like I said it's been out for a while I thought anyone who cared played it already and I was wrong I guess. You know calling someone a prick is a rude thing to do.

Regardless of that that's no excuse. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

Clearly you were wrong. There are a number of reasons someone hasn't gotten the game yet. Not enough spare cash, not enough time, distracted by other games. Not to mention it's a story heavy game. Regardless of time you don't spoil something that story driven.

As someone else mentioned, the final boss fight from Condemned is very brutal and makes me feel a little bit uncomfortable.

Also in Aliens Vs. Predator, the most recent one, the Xenomorphs have a finisher attack in which they grab someone from ehind and shove their tail upwards through them until it comes out of their mouth. That one always makes me feel unpleasant.
They also have a finisher that involves shoving their tail through a person's stomach and pulling the person along their tail while said victim vomits blood everywhere. AVP is a damn brutal game.

imahobbit4062:

Eddie the head:

imahobbit4062:

Clearly you were wrong. There are a number of reasons someone hasn't gotten the game yet. Not enough spare cash, not enough time, distracted by other games. Not to mention it's a story heavy game. Regardless of time you don't spoil something that story driven.

Ok you don't need to reiterate that I said I was wrong. Could you just act nicer in the future? Not everyone thinks the same way as you.

Tries to start thread fostering genuine discussion about the emotional power of games.

Ends up with two people fighting like schoolchildren over what constitutes a spoiler.

ReservoirAngel:

Yeah that's one of the things about the Fable series that I hate: decisions can never be as black and white as good or evil; like the utterly retarded choice to preserve a pretty lake because it's pretty or turn it into a refinery so you can fight the shoggoth creeping towards your shores.

rob_simple:

ReservoirAngel:

Yeah that's one of the things about the Fable series that I hate: decisions can never be as black and white as good or evil; like the utterly retarded choice to preserve a pretty lake because it's pretty or turn it into a refinery so you can fight the shoggoth creeping towards your shores.

The good and evil in that game is fucked. On my evil playthrough I reduced that kingdom to a smog-filled shithole yet because everyone stayed alive, they all still loved me. It's fucked up. I wanted to be a feared tyrant but the fuckers wouldn't stop being nice to me. The only way you can truly be evil in that game is to take all the evil choices, then before the final mission drain the treasury into your own bank account. Otherwise you're just an arsehole with a heart of gold by default.

Say what you will about Fable 2, at least you could be an unrepentant monster if you wanted to.

Hell in Fable 3 even being evil your character LOOKS bad! He looks like a fucking cross-dresser with Youngblood's disease. Black holes where his eyes would be and it looks like he's wearing goth lipstick.

I can never bring myself to be mean to the dog in Fable 2 or 3.

Never.

He may bark at treasure on a constant basis and be useless in combat.

But he's my dog, dammit.

Gordon_4:

I am not ashamed to say, there were a few scenes in ME3 that really brought me to tears, and no other game has ever done that.

OT: I dunno, but whenever I dealt with Anders in DA2 I got fairly annoyed, does being annoyed count for being uncomfortable?

FelixG:

Gordon_4:

I am not ashamed to say, there were a few scenes in ME3 that really brought me to tears, and no other game has ever done that.

OT: I dunno, but whenever I dealt with Anders in DA2 I got fairly annoyed, does being annoyed count for being uncomfortable?

As far as I'm concerned, executing that irritating nutjob was the smartest decision the plot allows you to make.

while not an "action" per'se ...

in Mass effect 3 (endgame camp) you can hear a conversation where a medic is instructing a civilian over the radio in providing first aid for some guy who got his leg blown off

It was so painful to hear I actually had to get away...

Not being able to get the crucified people down/mercy killing in Fallout New Vegas. That really bothered me.

I killed Vulpes first time I met him because of that...

xXxJessicaxXx:
Not being able to get the crucified people down/mercy killing in Fallout New Vegas. That really bothered me.

I killed Vulpes first time I met him because of that...

Yeah I remember that, I kept entering the conversation over and over hoping it would eventually give me the option to help them down.

See, now I read the title and took it the wrong way than was explained in the OP. Basically, whenever I play a game it causes discomfort and pain. Not so much of an emotional connection. However:

Also, minor point, but can people actually mark their spoilers? It's all well and good to just throw up a spoiler tag, but how would people know what the spoiler is without reading it? If you don't know, it's {spoiler=Title}Text{/spoiler}.

Just so it doesn't just read "Spoiler: Click to View", is all.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked