Ganking Lowbies

You're in an MMO and are minding your own business killing pigs or crabs or demons from the fifth dimension of hell when suddenly another player comes along and one-shots you, if you've ever played on a PvP server you'll have experienced this at least once.

My question is this: What do you think of lowbie killing?

I personally dislike it, in my eyes it just shows the ganker to be extremely unskilled and unwilling to fight anyone who might pose a challenge.

Claiming killing someone many levels below you is PvP is akin to killing a critter and telling everyone it's a raid boss.

Much like nearly all trolls, I find it to be a pointless endeavor of those to stupid to actually do anything meaningful. Granted, some trolls are clever. Those I give props to. The standard fare trolls who think they are being clever have minimal respect from me, and I find as a pointless waste of time and space. So in MMOs if I ever witness said action, I make it a point to go far out of my way to continuously and relentlessly kill said person.

I don't like lowbie killing. I personally find it a waste of time, and I imagine the lowbie in question must think it's a waste of time as well, and I don't like wasting people's time.

In other words, yes, I'm a Care Bear and I don't really care.

(Disclaimer: Just because I find lowbie killing unappealing doesn't mean I feel everyone else should feel the same way. With that said, carry on.)

It sucks. It's also inevitable. Any PvP server that ALLOWS for lowbie killing is going to have non-stop lowbie killing. Indeed, 95% of all conflicts on any PvP server are going to be terrifically lopsided. Either you'll have a level advantage, or a numbers advantage, or a cohension advantage, or you'll just take someone completely unawares. I can count the number of truly even contests I've experienced on the fingers of one hand. It's always getting ganked, or ganking.

Sad but true.

I usually left the other faction alone in WoW, but there were certain guilds that I'd kill on sight no matter what level they were or how underhanded the tactic. Quite a vicious, but fun, cycle.

When it happened to me I changed areas. When I couldn't get away there were two options:

1. Take a break for a while and come back to the game later
2. Say the word and have the guild descend upon their capital for an hour or so

We enjoyed option 2. Moreso when you could convince several full groups to go across multiple guilds.

I think I will work hard to hit the top level, remember his name, and kick his ass 5 days later.

I neither like nor dislike it. It is a part of pvp servers and that is why pve servers are offered as a choice.

Dick players are dicks. Like Rumpsteak said above, wiser than he knew, "it's part of PvP servers." They attract 'that sort.'

Kind of like walking around the docks at midnight and being surrounded by crackheads, muggers, and spies.

In the MMO's I've played, all "PvP" actually is, is endlevel assholes killing those far lower in level than them.

I thought PvP would mean open-warfare between factions. Zones could suddenly flare up in random large scale Player-vs-Player combat, but alas this rarely was the case. And PvP instead manifested itself in it's primary form of players with max-level characters hopelessly decimating someone far lower in level and putting a grinding halt to their... grinding.

Or in it's other form. Which is you killing giant spiders by yourself, then being blindsided by a player of equalish level who immediately uses their most powerful attacks to kill you quickly.

Basically, PvP in MMO's is almost never fun. Due to the mess of balancing issues regarding classes, gear, and levels. It's a shame too how my view on it went from being a possible awesome thing to see, making questing dynamic since you never know when a battle between players can suddenly begin, to a universal waste of time for every single person involved in PvP.

After playing several MMO's, and seeing "PvP" always become this, and having some truly horrible experiences with this sort of PvP, I've made my decision to swear off PvP servers entirely.

I don't see the allure of ganking, even for the sake of trolling. There's much better games available to me for whenever I feel the primal desire to kill another player.

It's a legit strategy. You put your ass out there, you got spanked.

You're not there to be friends, the point of the game is to kill other players / monsters, yes, that includes someone whose just starting out while you're at max level.

It's like people who say cheesing in Star Craft 2 or ganking in League of Legends is bad form. It's not about playing nice, it's about kicking ass and taking names to pull off a win.

Tohuvabohu:
In the MMO's I've played, all "PvP" actually is, is endlevel assholes killing those far lower in level than them.

I thought PvP would mean open-warfare between factions. Zones could suddenly flare up in random large scale Player-vs-Player combat, but alas this rarely was the case. And PvP instead manifested itself in it's primary form of players with max-level characters hopelessly decimating someone far lower in level and putting a grinding halt to their... grinding.

Or in it's other form. Which is you killing giant spiders by yourself, then being blindsided by a player of equalish level who immediately uses their most powerful attacks to kill you quickly.

Basically, PvP in MMO's is almost never fun. Due to the mess of balancing issues regarding classes, gear, and levels. It's a shame too how my view on it went from being a possible awesome thing to see, making questing dynamic since you never know when a battle between players can suddenly begin, to a universal waste of time for every single person involved in PvP.

After playing several MMO's, and seeing "PvP" always become this, and having some truly horrible experiences with this sort of PvP, I've made my decision to swear off PvP servers entirely.

I don't see the allure of ganking, even for the sake of trolling. There's much better games available to me for whenever I feel the primal desire to kill another player.

I'm hoping Guild Wars 2 system of de-leveling players to suit the content will be picked up in other games so high level players will be de-leveled down to that of their victims; at least it would give the lowbies a chance to fight back even if just a small one.

Qitz:
[...]it's about kicking ass and taking names to pull off a win.

I'd be willing to grant a pass to high levels offing low levels from an rival guild, but targeting random strangers doesn't sit right. I mean a guaranteed win can't be all that fulfilling. It'd be like beating up a 3 year old and then bragging about it afterwards.

It is the MMO equivalent of burning ants with a magnifying glass. Bullies picking on weaker folks because they are too cowardly to fight someone their own size

Wait, lowbies? Is that slang? I normally don't post in this section, but apparently I've missed out on slang changes.

Honestly, some of the most fun I had in WoW was dealing with gankers. Granted, the times the guy was level "skull" and just 1 shot me was bad, but if he kept going for me I'd log on my 60 (or whatever the max level at the time is) and go on the hunt for the douche. So much fun, especially when it turns into a little war as more and more people are involved.

Sometimes though the "ganker" is only 5-10 levels higher. I remember once on my rogue fighting off a dwarf warrior... he was kinda shit so I managed to actually kill him a couple times, though he got me a few as well. Eventually we just sort of left eachother alone, but it was fun.

Other times I've been the ganker, but I never did it mercilessly. I mean yeah I'd kill lowbies, but mostly I did it to draw out the higher levels and have some real fun. Nothing like fighting off 3 or 4 enemies at once even if only 1 of them is really a challenge.

Don't wanna chew the pavement? Keep away from me NEWB!

I won't go looking for lowbie targets, but attacking them was always a good way to alert high-level opponents to come fight me. Often times it would be me and a couple mates attacking a low-level horde city (Razor Hill, Crossroads when it's still in one piece, etc.) trying to draw out the higher levels.

Biggest fight we had resulted in 8 level 85s (my side) versus 10 level 85s, a level 83, some 60s and a half-dozen 20-40s. Due to the rather... unstructured nature of the fight, two healers were able to keep us alive for nearly an hour. Was good fun, really.

I will also 'defend' myself from low level attackers - I don't know why, but when a level 85 Night Elf warrior comes sauntering through town for no actual reason, there's always 2 or 3 level 20s who think they can actually kill me. It doesn't do much, but considering I can't mount while they're attacking...

Ickorus:
I personally dislike it, in my eyes it just shows the ganker to be extremely unskilled and unwilling to fight anyone who might pose a challenge.

Claiming killing someone many levels below you is PvP is akin to killing a critter and telling everyone it's a raid boss.

I think that's bad logic. No, you're confusing him being unskilled with him being a jerk. He might be skilled and a jerk who just passed by a low level. You don't know that he's unwilling to fight someone who might pose a challenge.

Personally I'd avoid doing it though. I'd dislike it myself.

If they just so happen to be running by and see me than it's fine. When they spend any longer than 15 minutes doing it than it just becomes pathetic. And yes, I know PvP is competitive but taking a lead pip to a babies face is hardly competition.

Qitz:

You're not there to be friends, the point of the game is to kill other players / monsters, yes, that includes someone whose just starting out while you're at max level.

It's like people who say cheesing in Star Craft 2 or ganking in League of Legends is bad form. It's not about playing nice, it's about kicking ass and taking names to pull off a win.

In Starcraft you can recover, and Ganking leaves a lane open for being raped, so its a risk reward situation. When I'm end level where all I have to do is cough and everything in a 20 square mile radius dies, I doubt killing a level 1 will be rewarding or challenging in the slightest.

Its like hopping in a mech suit to punch a baby, not only is it overkill but you wasted more time getting the mech then actually enjoying its purpose.

My WoW server had a big problem with that in Stranglethorn Vale. So much so that me and a few others used to take two hours out of our free time to run up and down the zone killing high level Horde that came by, if only to give low level players a chance to get their quests done.

We do the same in SWTOR, only instead of STV, it's Alderaan.

It is the garden variety MMO bully or troll, you either walk away or hit twice as hard.
I always ran a second mofo character in basic gear along side my newbie characters so I could counter gank the little trolls, and troll tears are the sweetest thing there is.

It's a dick move most of time, but can be fun when you force the reaction by higher levels.
I played WoW for 2 months before renaming it "Grindcraft" and leaving.
Played it a on a pvp server, but i was mostly active at night, so i was much safer due to the lower active population, but it was kinda fun watching 10 lvl 80 DK's pvping at orc starter zone. Died about 100 times while watching.

I find it pointless. I always play PVE servers, that way I have the OPTION of fighting whoever wants to be a dick. Some people say the fun of mmos is leveling up in a gank-free environment, but its a short lived glory to be honest. You don't feel accomplishment, its just instant gratification that quickly fades and becomes tiresome. And the ride there? Oh god its horrible trying to level while always being paranoid of gankers, spending at least 20 minutes longer doing EVERYTHING. I don't see the joy.

I hate it and it is quite shocking how many people think it's ok to do. Most reasons boil down to:
"It happened to me, now I take revenge"
"Red is dead"
"I'm an asshat."
They will often say how you should stop whining and roll a PvE server, because apparantly all PvP is, is ganking.

I'll echo the so called bullies, the ruleset is PVP everywhere. If you don't like that, don't roll on that server.

That said, ganking lowbies is pitiful and really evidence of the whole small man syndrome.

Qitz:

Cheesing in SC2 and ganking in LoL are actually helping you win. There is an actual tangible benefit for winning those games as well. Hell, even in a fighting game, if you greatly outskill someone and beat them all the time, they should learn something from it if they are willing to improve.

I'm personally not against the ability to gank, in WoW I never kill people lower level than me unless they happen to be a horde in alliance territory (even then, normally if they are at the gates of Stormwind or something).

However, I personally think going out and ganking low people levelling up is one of the most pointless endeavours I can think of. You gain nothing from it. In the early days of WoW I think you even got punished for it, as they were filed under dishonorable kills.

But I digress, ganking is a useless waste of time, both for the ganker and the person levelling up. You don't get anything out of ganking, the ganker might only learn to not want to play on that server anymore, or even quit the MMO they are playing etc..

It doesn't help that most people who gank tend to be really stupid, and bad at PvP in general. It does have its moments though. I ended up bringing out my best character to take one ganker out, and it evolved into a 2vs1 against me, which I killed both of them about 3 times until they actually had to come up with some sort of strategy.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked