Did any games ever give you nightmares

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I've never had nightmares like that, but MLP Fim: Story of the Blanks (A little 8-bit game on Newgrounds) almost did o.o Christ that game freaked me out >.<

Maybe...

About three weeks after finishing Silent Hill 3, there was one night where I simply could not get to sleep. My mind kept wandering back to the blood-covered walls in the sewer and hospital, the Closers and their twitchy faces, the Slupers...yeah. It got to the point where I had to turn on the light and make sure I was alone.
Made the mistake of playing the Silent Hill Collection recently late into the night. Never again.

Now that I think about it, I think I may have had a slight nightmare regarding Silent Hill. Going through a neighborhood and everything was blood red and monsters were stalking me. Or I'm remembering part of the game. I honestly can't remember, it's been so long.

When I was young the original Resident Evil gave me nightmares for quite some time.
Zombies bursting out of closets and dogs jumping through windows. My Mum banned me from playing it after that :/

217not237:
Look at James and how he might as well be named 'Alex,' since you're Alex and he's you.

This right here freaked me out when I first read it, because my name is also Alex.

OT: My nightmares are traditionally combinations of several different "inspirations." I've had a crazy one which was basically a mix between Silent Hill and *Insert Zombie Game/Film here*. I also had another when I was younger one that was a mixture between Mars Attacks and Star Wars.

I think I played Myst when I was far too young. Because... that.

Sniper Team 4:
Maybe...

About three weeks after finishing Silent Hill 3, there was one night where I simply could not get to sleep. My mind kept wandering back to the blood-covered walls in the sewer and hospital, the Closers and their twitchy faces, the Slupers...yeah. It got to the point where I had to turn on the light and make sure I was alone.
Made the mistake of playing the Silent Hill Collection recently late into the night. Never again.

Now that I think about it, I think I may have had a slight nightmare regarding Silent Hill. Going through a neighborhood and everything was blood red and monsters were stalking me. Or I'm remembering part of the game. I honestly can't remember, it's been so long.

Nah, the town itself never turned red. Only the interior locations of Silent Hill 3.

If it makes you feel any better Devil May Cry was originally Resident Evil 4 (then a prequal to RE, then just DMC) so don't feel too bad. It got a lot of the ideas that didn't make it into RE4, like the puppets.

And I remember having nightmares about Nemesis when I was kid.

Lord of the Rings: the Fellowship of the Ring
Atmosphere was liberality the ONLY thing that game got right, Lying in bed trying not to think about the Dark Rider patrols chasing after me as I tried to escape Hobbitown. And their shrieks! Oh God the Shrieks!

I'm sure that I've had bad dreams with video-game elements in them, but this is the only time I can remember the game actually causing a nightmare.

My scariest moment(s)?

Bioshock 1 + 2. All of it.

Seriously, they had a VERY creepy atmosphere.

But out of all the moments in those games, the opening to Bioshock 2 takes the proverbial cake.

Since seeing that, it just "stuck" in my mind, almost haunting my mind.

Hearing that Little Sister scream as her protector fell was just, haunting.

Combined with the music, it still haunts the dark corners of my mind to this day.

It. Is. Just. Mindblowing.

PS, if you don't know what i'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWpSjD1QIlw&list=FLEhkdn4ho0iIxR_49sxUq9w&index=21&feature=plpp_video

Duke Nukem 3d, i remember it was the 1st game i played that just blew my mind. I remember getting an issue of a pcgamer that came with the full version on the demo disc.

It was the most immersive thing i've ever played (was about 11) and just the complete vibe of the game (from the constant waves of aliens, the strung up mutilated babes, playful misogyny, the space episode....god i hated that shit LOL!)

always just dreamt that i was in dukes position with the gun poking out in front of me trying to stay alive....me sucking at the game didn't help....couldn't even beat episode 1.

------------------------
Side Note:

The pacing of that game was awesome! It just took you on an adventure, it took what was available (the lock keys, guns, and cardboard like npc's and objects) and just made the perfect game!

This is kinda embarrassing...

When I was younger, whenever I played Sonic 2 before going to bed, I would have trouble going to sleep and even have nightmares. What did it, was the second level. I believe it was in Act 2 that the poisonous water started rising. It was really different from normal water, but just the rising water kinda freaked me out. Yeah, dreams about rising water. And no, I don't fear water, though I don't think I could swim at the time.

Never liked the ghosts in Sonic an Knuckles, but they were just annoying.

Vanbael:
Sweet Tooth from Twisted Metal actually scared the shit out of me in my dreams. That and those fucking Regenerators from RE4, that breathing will never stop sending chills up my spine.

I thought I was the only one who had a Twisted Metal fueled nightmare.

The first and only time a game has ever induced a nightmare was after playing Twisted Metal Black and seeing No-Face for the first time.

Hah, no way, what kind of loser would... wait... I feel something clawing its way back through my memory...

OH GOD WHY NO NO NO GO AWAY BACK INTO MY FORGOTTEN PAST NO GOD PLEASE NO OH GOD SO MANY NIGHTMARES

Jedoro:
When I was a wee little kid, I had a nightmare about Goldeneye 007 in which I got shot and died. I woke up before I could respawn, though.

I think you just explained where some of the weirder dreams I've had over the years came from; I've had a few dreams in the past where I've died violently, feeling like I was falling asleep as my blood drained out, before suddenly being back in the action. Considering what you mentioned there, I think they may have been Tetris effect dreams brought on by too many late night FPS matches. Weird.

OT: I can't say a game has ever given me a nightmare; Tetris effect stuff similar to what I described above (although usually with less dying and more asskicking), but no nightmares. In fact, I almost never have nightmares. I remember reading an article a few years back that talked about how gamers have more dreams with violent and frightening content on average, but very few of them describe it as a nightmare, instead feeling in control of the situation and more like they were playing an action game or watching an action movie than having a nightmare. That certainly seems to match my experiences as a gamer who dreams.

Minecraft man.... Minecraft. I was in a deep dark cave, and I was trapped. I tried to get out, but there were so many creepers. I just barely escaped from them every time. I almost got to a safe point, but then I heard I heard the creepers hiss it makes when it is about to explode. I realized it was behind me and BOOM!, I woke up.

Saltyk:
This is kinda embarrassing...

When I was younger, whenever I played Sonic 2 before going to bed, I would have trouble going to sleep and even have nightmares. What did it, was the second level. I believe it was in Act 2 that the poisonous water started rising. It was really different from normal water, but just the rising water kinda freaked me out. Yeah, dreams about rising water. And no, I don't fear water, though I don't think I could swim at the time.

Never liked the ghosts in Sonic an Knuckles, but they were just annoying.

Awww that reminds me of an obscure game i grew up with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP6GSvCP8oA *Skip to 4:40* although the save/load state kind of kills the tension :/

I remember when i player this really old game called "Carnivore" where you got to hunt dinosaurs and shit, I played it once and it scared the shit out of me when i missed the shot on and enraged t-rex, which than suddenly ate me.
And then in my dream i was running away from the same t-rex when i jumped in the water(a lake i think) and watched as its massive head peered into water as i waited for it to go away. I waked up before I resurfaced though.

InsaneInfadel:

217not237:
Look at James and how he might as well be named 'Alex,' since you're Alex and he's you.

This right here freaked me out when I first read it, because my name is also Alex.

Descent: Freespace.
The Shivans were creepy, that's certainly part of it, but I really think the problem was that the Lucifer became a metaphor for my own helplessness in my life. It was a bad time for me, constant fights with peers in school and no shortage of general troubles. I probably only narrowly avoided a felony assault conviction that year or the next.
And, of course, I couldn't leave. It was high school. You kinda have to get through that, more or less. Some people do okay without, but it's a rare circumstance.
The Lucifer bore a refinement on the Shivan shielding technology which was, to all human technology to date, impenetrable. You simply couldn't scratch the Lucifer. That ship became the scourge of the setting, carving a swath through the human and Vasudan territories.
As the gameplay takes place exclusively from the cockpit of a small fighter or bomber, it's no surprise that's where I found myself in dreaming. One night I dreamed I was escaping a massacre. My whole wing was lost, and my only refuge was a blind spot in the Lucifer's firing arcs: Inside the Lucifer itself, right into the fighter bay. I had a limited set of reference points, so it ended up closely resembling a Nebulon B Frigate from X-Wing. That's a blind spot for those, too, but parking even an A-Wing in there... Yeah, never mind.
So here I am, waiting in terror. If I try to leave again, the guns will take me down, or the fighter screen that's battling the last remnants of the fleet outside. If I stay, the Shivan fighters will eventually return and gun me down. I fire a few shots to see if I can take down the Lucifer from within, and discover the shielding is internal as well. I can even fly right through the round tunnels they use to get from point to point, an miraculously don't encounter any living Shivans, but the tunnels are just deadly habitrails for me. If I meet a Shivan, it can lase me to death. (They were nasty that way.) I even just start firing the guns as I fly through the tunnels, and nothing comes of it.
Helpless. Trapped. Hopeless, and soon to be dead.
Pretty nasty dream, really.

Vault101:

well ME3 did stop me from sleeping the ngiht I finished it, and that whole ending seaquence kind of made me uneasy (expecially illusive mans face)

Oh boy the night I finished ME3 (or morning rather) I didn't sleep a wink either. Final moments shook me to my core and honestly, in a way, it all was kind of disturbing and unsettling in its own special way.

Evan Halfmann:

Vault101:

well ME3 did stop me from sleeping the ngiht I finished it, and that whole ending seaquence kind of made me uneasy (expecially illusive mans face)

Oh boy the night I finished ME3 (or morning rather) I didn't sleep a wink either. Final moments shook me to my core and honestly, in a way, it all was kind of disturbing and unsettling in its own special way.

exactally (especially when shepard ends up in the first part of the citadel..with all the dead bodies)

I was like "don't think about....don't think about it...WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?..no really what the fuck was that?"

that morning I woke up at 6 because I couldnt sleep (on a weeked) thankfully watching some indoctrination therory helped

How has know one mentioned Condemned 1 & 2. In Condemned your a alcoholic ex cop who is losing his mind. There is a bit where your walking through a clothes store and their are manikins everywhere. The lights are flickering, you see flashes of movement out the corner of your eye. You swear the manikins moved but when you look at them they are dead as stone. You finally get close and they attack. You kill them. You never trust manikins again.
Also after going through a big Nazi Zombie stage had crazy zombie dreams for a couple of weeks.

Silent Hill 1 scared me so bad I put it i the attic and it's still there.. I got it at release. I only played it for about an hour, then proceeded to have horrific nightmares for days.

When I was a wee lad everything used to give me nightmares. The worst however, were the Visceroids from Command and Conquer. Those shits were serious business.

Vault101:

Evan Halfmann:

Vault101:

exactally (especially when shepard ends up in the first part of the citadel..with all the dead bodies)

I was like "don't think about....don't think about it...WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?..no really what the fuck was that?"

that morning I woke up at 6 because I couldnt sleep (on a weeked) thankfully watching some indoctrination therory helped

Yep that's the moment for me when my stomach turned upside down. Also, if I recall correctly, one of the first things Shepard says to Anderson when he ends up in the room with the bodies is "I feel like death" or something similar to that. It's very morbid the way he says it. Indoctrination theory did help me as well but unfortunately for me, I chose to control..

Evan Halfmann:
Yep that's the moment for me when my stomach turned upside down. Also, if I recall correctly, one of the first things Shepard says to Anderson when he ends up in the room with the bodies is "I feel like death" or something similar to that. It's very morbid the way he says it. Indoctrination theory did help me as well but unfortunately for me, I chose to control..

its funny..I chose destruction..at first I limped towards synthasis..and I took and turn to the right

my logic being "what?...no....no...NO!..fuck you! reaper starchild!....fuck all of this! Im not dying!"

and then when the ending ensured I was like "oh fuck oh fuck oh fcuk oh fuck oh fuck! Ive killed the normady! Ive killed joker! Ive killed EDI! WHAT HAVE I DONE?!"

but then when I found out they were all essentially the same I felt better

Yes, Tetris. No, I'm serious. Enormous blocks falling down on me. Was one of the weirder dreams I've had.

"Intelligent Qube" for the PlayStation. I have no idea why but that one messed with my dreams, every time I played it I got nightmares about "Tetris"

Also GLaDOS sometimes creeps her way into my worst nightmares, they are never "Portal" related, just her describing in detail the everyday failing of an office worker.
Weird thing is I do not work in an office.

I once had a dream where I was being chased by a pac-man ghost. I don't know if it counts though, he was brandishing a 4-way tire iron and his voice sounded like Cary Elwes for some reason.

My dreams usually don't make any kind of sense at all.

Vault101:

its funny..I chose destruction..at first I limped towards synthasis..and I took and turn to the right

my logic being "what?...no....no...NO!..fuck you! reaper starchild!....fuck all of this! Im not dying!"

and then when the ending ensured I was like "oh fuck oh fuck oh fcuk oh fuck oh fuck! Ive killed the normady! Ive killed joker! Ive killed EDI! WHAT HAVE I DONE?!"

Yep the main reason I chose control was because I didn't want to destroy EDI and the geth (considering I just fought my ass off to reunite the quarians with the geth on Rannoch). The endings are pretty much the same huh? I'm currently finishing another ME2 playthrough so that I can try to achieve a more suitable end for Shepard. I'm going to destroy the reapers next time and I'm going to try and get the highest galactic readiness I can (when I finished the first time it was at 50%)

Ocarina of Time. The city was my happy place, it was so friendly and welcoming, even in the back alleys I felt safe. I was naive and thought that the game ended when you got all three spiritual stones and placed them in the temple of time.

Oh was I wrong.

I pull the sword, get the cutscenes and think "Wow, more adventure!". I go out and...my happy place...it's gone...then it get's worse...redead...

If you do not know what redead are count yourself lucky.

Evan Halfmann:

Vault101:

Yep the main reason I chose control was because I didn't want to destroy EDI and the geth (considering I just fought my ass off to reunite the quarians with the geth on Rannoch). The endings are pretty much the same huh? I'm currently finishing another ME2 playthrough so that I can try to achieve a more suitable end for Shepard. I'm going to destroy the reapers next time and I'm going to try and get the highest galactic readiness I can (when I finished the first time it was at 50%)

the endings are EXACTALLY the same..its just the colur of the explosions

you wont get a better ending no matter how hight your redines is...sorry (though you might want it higher than 50% I dont know)

though if you choose destruction (as I did) you get an ambiguous shot of shepard "waking up" (I was also like WHAT? what was htat?! they cant leave it haning like that!!)

also keep in mind (regardless of indoctrination theory) the reaper starchild is likely eather lying/manipulating your or just talking random non-sense, its never really clear (at the time i was like wait!what does each one do again?! come back!)

Unsilenced:

fireaura08:

Unsilenced:
Had a nightmare somewhat related to Metro 2033, and specifically the librarians. Right before going to sleep I had gotten stuck on that section (Protips: Don't make bullet sponge enemies in games that revolve around ammo conservation. It's a dick move, especially when the melee weapon couldn't tickle a baby.) and I was VERY short on sleep.

Fffffff...

If you got the Ranger DLC, there was an awesome heavy automatic shotgun that made short work of them. Alternatively, you can stare them down, and if you did it correctly, they would walk away.

It's not that they're hard to fight. If I had unlimited ammo they would be laughably easy. It's just nobody told me I had to spend every bullet I had on more ammo at the start of the chapter, so even with accuracy around 90% I was completely boned.

You didn't pay attention, someone tells you to use the Hellsing. Make sure you buy the bloody Hellsing. It takes them out quietly, with utter ease and you can take your ammo back from their body.

I played it on the first Playstation when I was 8.....the intro was enough to spook me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLT-hCj8bTA&t=14s

Creepy music (brilliant music in hindsight), chilling screams, and "business-monsters" intent on butchering a slave race!

Seeing helpless dudes getting shot, thrown in a meatgrinder or ripped to shreds by a Scrab really got to me.

Poor Mudokons :(

when I was about 7 and i opened the door for the butcher in diablo 1, GRRR FRESH MEAT that sound gave nightmares for weeks lol.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked