Did any games ever give you nightmares

Pages PREV 1 2 3

bigwon:

Saltyk:
This is kinda embarrassing...

When I was younger, whenever I played Sonic 2 before going to bed, I would have trouble going to sleep and even have nightmares. What did it, was the second level. I believe it was in Act 2 that the poisonous water started rising. It was really different from normal water, but just the rising water kinda freaked me out. Yeah, dreams about rising water. And no, I don't fear water, though I don't think I could swim at the time.

Never liked the ghosts in Sonic an Knuckles, but they were just annoying.

Awww that reminds me of an obscure game i grew up with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP6GSvCP8oA *Skip to 4:40* although the save/load state kind of kills the tension :/

Oh my God, I remember that game. And yes, the level with the drill was insanely hard. I hated it so much. Entire nigh perfect playthroughs would be for nothing because that drill was a pain. I remember one time I actually made it to the exit, but the game didn't stop the drill when you ate the exit sign and if it touched you before Taz ran off you died all the same. Guess what happened. Yeah, I stopped playing right there. Makes you wonder if they play tested it.

Sweet Tooth from Twisted Metal...especially the cutscenes from the new game../shiver

also, Amnesia The Dark Descent, System Shock 2 (dem Midwives), Penumbra, && Any Fatal Frame game. FFFFUUUUUUU-

I have dreams about video games but never nightmares. I'm not sure why some games are pretty nasty.

I sometimes have zombie dreams but I'm sure if that's video game related or just anxiety.

Not really no. I sometimes dream I'm playing a multiplayer match and I'm absolutely destroying them.

Answer to my captchca: describe this brand with any word(s)

Gold Peak Tea: shitty

Multiple ones about being betrayed in EVE Online (despite being a pirate for 3 years, never was) and more recently a few about StarCraft. Mostly 6 pools. But with ultralisks.

Nope, but the first Silent Hill game made me jump

Bejeweled. I had two hypercubes next to each other in blitz mode and in a lapse of sanity, did not switch them with one another. I will never forgive myself. Ever.

The Artificially Prolonged:
Stalker Clear Sky after going through the red forest at night *shudders* last time I play that game with my headphones on at night.

Oh, I did that in Shadow of Chernobyl, with absolutely no background on it. No knowledge. And I was playing with the Stalker Complete mod, so it looked even scarier. I got about 15% in, killed a guy, grabbed his really nice sniper rifle, and just fucking ran away back to the Bar.
That didn't really give me nightmares, but what did was the tunnels in the first game, Agroprom Underground, I think, with the first bloodsucker encounter. I'd never heard of them before, and then, BAM! I was looking away, and it grabbed me from behind, and started to, well, suck my blood. Didn't even know what got me until I died. Nearly shit my pants. Couldn't sleep well for a month.

Also, when I was like 4, I got really scared from watching my dad play Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project. Don't really know why, though. Pigcops, I think it was. Again, don't know what actually scared me about them.

ImmortalDrifter:
When I was a wee lad everything used to give me nightmares. The worst however, were the Visceroids from Command and Conquer. Those shits were serious business.

Which C&C game were you playing then? They're probably scariest in Renegade, I think, because they're in 3D, and they're just blobs with various body parts randomly emerging from them, like teeth, a leg, so on. Sorry if I'm bringing back scary memories.

The demo for Cloud Tower scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. I didn't know what I was doing, got cornered, and the killer appeared and gutted me with his scissors. Suffice to say, I never picked up the game when it was released, though if I could get a hold of it now I'd give it a shot.

No.

...Actually, wait. Yeah. Yeah, one game did. Ninja Gaiden. I could never beat it. And I've had nightmares about how I failed that game!

All jokes aside, although there is a bit of truth to that above, no.

Vault101:

Evan Halfmann:

Vault101:

well ME3 did stop me from sleeping the ngiht I finished it, and that whole ending seaquence kind of made me uneasy (expecially illusive mans face)

Oh boy the night I finished ME3 (or morning rather) I didn't sleep a wink either. Final moments shook me to my core and honestly, in a way, it all was kind of disturbing and unsettling in its own special way.

exactally (especially when shepard ends up in the first part of the citadel..with all the dead bodies)

I was like "don't think about....don't think about it...WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?..no really what the fuck was that?"

that morning I woke up at 6 because I couldnt sleep (on a weeked) thankfully watching some indoctrination therory helped

I am so glad I'm not the only one who had nightmares about ME3. To be honest though, it wasn't about the ending. It was the bit before the ending (before the beam). I had nightmares that Banshees were overrunning me and my friends. And the Brutes! The Brutes were killing the ones that couldn't find cover D:
Then funny enough, when I woke up and went back to sleep, I was dreaming about something else and Reapers invaded those dreams...

The dead bodies though, yes. Those were disturbing.

redisforever:

The Artificially Prolonged:
Stalker Clear Sky after going through the red forest at night *shudders* last time I play that game with my headphones on at night.

Oh, I did that in Shadow of Chernobyl, with absolutely no background on it. No knowledge. And I was playing with the Stalker Complete mod, so it looked even scarier. I got about 15% in, killed a guy, grabbed his really nice sniper rifle, and just fucking ran away back to the Bar.
That didn't really give me nightmares, but what did was the tunnels in the first game, Agroprom Underground, I think, with the first bloodsucker encounter. I'd never heard of them before, and then, BAM! I was looking away, and it grabbed me from behind, and started to, well, suck my blood. Didn't even know what got me until I died. Nearly shit my pants. Couldn't sleep well for a month.

Also, when I was like 4, I got really scared from watching my dad play Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project. Don't really know why, though. Pigcops, I think it was. Again, don't know what actually scared me about them.

I made it through the forest to a settlement but the bastards wouldn't let me in and I couldn't jump over the wall. I had to run out of ammo and health packs and run all the way back through the forest pass all the bloodsuckers I hadn't killed just to get to safety.

I also hate the tunnels in Stalker games nowhere to run and virtually no visibility.

I stopped having nightmares of the scary variety before I really got into the types of video games that could induce them (and the depressing nightmares have never had anything to do with videogames).

The closest thing I had was a dream that happened back when I first played Ocarina of Time. I dreamed of myself and someone who was supposed to be a friend (though he wasn't anyone I knew or knew of). We were both adventurers, separate from Link and his story. We'd come to the ruins of Hyrule Castle town looking for clues about how we could get the Triforce. Suddenly, the choral music started playing as the Triforce magically lowered into my companion's hands (held up like Link's). He couldn't believe it, but I noticed that the Triforce was strangely misshapen. And that it had a lit fuse. I looked up and saw that Ganondorf himself had lowered this sick reference to the Holy Hand Grenade himself on a piece of twine. The dream ended as I rushed to throw it away from my companion. My dreams have a nasty tendency of getting good just as my alarm clock is about to go off.

krazykidd:
Tetris . Dat blue block man . Seriously . I played so much tetris when it came out on the DS i saw falling blocks when i closed my eyes . I slept so horrible that week .

Off-topic. Anyone else hates when they dream about an MMO and you get a super rare item or level nicely only to wake up and realize it was just a dream? Fucking hate that man.

My chance to show off some nerd knowledge. What you experience is called a Tetris effect, and it is a sign of addiction.
Had it, sometimes good sometimes bad. While I do remember a couple scary games, I don't remember them giving me nightmares.

Well, last night I had a Gears of War nightmare, where this dude had some sort of parasitic worm thing injected into his leg, and since these thing were making their way up his leg, and could take over a person's body and make them attack and explode, Marcus had to remove his leg with a Lancer in order to prevent the parasite from taking over and killing him. And the whole time, the guy was yelling and clamping his hands on his leg in order to stop the parasite from moving up.

There was a lot more to it than that, but I doubt that people would want to read it, and I'm feeling lazy.

Hell, I tend to have game related dreams every now and again.

Never nightmares.

However back in the day when a computer was called a 286, there was an RPG game by Broderbund called The Dark Heart of Uukrull. My brother and I played that game religously upto and beyond a point that we would start dreaming about the game and the levels we were trying to solve.

The scary part of this is we actually started using what we remembered from our dreams to solve the many and varied puzzles and trials within the game.

Dead Space... Dead Space and Band Hero... The horror...

Dead Rising. I know the series is very tongue and cheek when it comes to Zombies but that opening movie in the first game with the mom and daughter is fucking brutal. And when you're 13 that tends to disturb you a little. Or at least me. Scared me for a whole summer.

Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper, of all games. Though they toned down the violence out of respect for the victims, the last two victims were... disturbing, to say the least. I slept uneasily that night.

I had a nightmare about Lego Pirates of the Caribbean, I was playing it with my mum at the time which was fun, no idea why it turned into a nightmare but yeah freaky as all hell getting crushed by massive lego blocks and stuff.

One about the resident evil remake on game cube was running from zombies with a gamecube controller in my hand trying to pause and it was not working, I even remeber exactly where I was in the mansion in the corridor where you encounter the first zombie where the stairs go down into the kitchen.

Pretty much due to the fact that I play most of my games before bed I've had dreams about lots of them, some good and bad or odd ones where an element of the game is there but the rest is just weeeeeird.

I'm pretty sure I had a nightmare after the Terry Cotter's Army section in Fable II; also the murder cottage.

For such a tame game those two sections were really out of place, and sadly about the only interesting parts for me.

Unsilenced:

fireaura08:

Unsilenced:
Had a nightmare somewhat related to Metro 2033, and specifically the librarians. Right before going to sleep I had gotten stuck on that section (Protips: Don't make bullet sponge enemies in games that revolve around ammo conservation. It's a dick move, especially when the melee weapon couldn't tickle a baby.) and I was VERY short on sleep.

Fffffff...

If you got the Ranger DLC, there was an awesome heavy automatic shotgun that made short work of them. Alternatively, you can stare them down, and if you did it correctly, they would walk away.

It's not that they're hard to fight. If I had unlimited ammo they would be laughably easy. It's just nobody told me I had to spend every bullet I had on more ammo at the start of the chapter, so even with accuracy around 90% I was completely boned.

Oh right, Polis was the last merchant hub...
(haven't played this game for a while)

Play Amnesia they said, it'll be fun they said....

Never again will I play a horror game at night, with headphones in. Had a restless sleep for a week

redisforever:

ImmortalDrifter:
When I was a wee lad everything used to give me nightmares. The worst however, were the Visceroids from Command and Conquer. Those shits were serious business.

Which C&C game were you playing then? They're probably scariest in Renegade, I think, because they're in 3D, and they're just blobs with various body parts randomly emerging from them, like teeth, a leg, so on. Sorry if I'm bringing back scary memories.

Haha it's fine. I had those frights when i was 9 and I'm now 18. It was actually Tiberian Sun, the reason they scared so much was because they were more or less unstoppable once they became "Adult". I could build 5 Obelisks of light and they would just smash right through them (along with cyborg commandos). Added to fears that they would "absorb" me lol. It's funny now, it was horrifing then.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat. An emission had just started to blow in, and I was already losing health, so I ducked into this low building with radio antennae on the roof(for the life of me, I can't remember the name of the place). I was still losing health, so I jumped down into the basement level, relieved to stop losing health. But then I heard goddamn moaning. I don't know whether it was a sound effect from the wind, or something else, but it sounded like a goddamn zombie was in the basement with me, and it was coming from around the corner in a dark corridor. I sat there for five minutes with my rifle pointed at that turn-off into the corridor waiting for the storm to clear. When I got the all-clear, I leaped at the ladder, climbed up, and dashed the hell out of that building. Nothing ever happened to me (or more accurately, my PC) down there; but I had a nightmare in which I either went down the corridor and was dragged into the hallway and crushed to death by an anomaly, or as I was climbing the ladder, I was dragged down and eaten alive by a Snork; for the next 3 days. I still haven't picked up that game again.

Vault101:

the endings are EXACTALLY the same..its just the colur of the explosions

you wont get a better ending no matter how hight your redines is...sorry (though you might want it higher than 50% I dont know)

though if you choose destruction (as I did) you get an ambiguous shot of shepard "waking up" (I was also like WHAT? what was htat?! they cant leave it haning like that!!)

also keep in mind (regardless of indoctrination theory) the reaper starchild is likely eather lying/manipulating your or just talking random non-sense, its never really clear (at the time i was like wait!what does each one do again?! come back!)

yeah I briefly skimmed the strategy guide and it said that a higher readiness rating makes some slight changes. Can't be anything significant though. To be honest though I actually think the ending is perfect and it certainly won't ever be forgotten but I just think there should be more of an ending. The mass relays exploding was a punch in the face as well though..

In S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat, when going through the Bloodsucker lair as part of some mission to explain the mystery of missing stalkers, walked into that underground part of the building and hearing the scream of a bloodsucker, then seeing the actual mutant running around scared me. For 2 days, I didn't play the game.

Amnesia the Dark Descent: Seeing this red jam like substance oozing out of the walls looked creepy, then walking into it, not knowing that it hurts your character. :I

Chicken run for the PS1. Don't fucking laugh, that game was tense constantly. My nightmares consisted of making up strategies, and then them failing... Horribly... *weeps*

S.T.A.L.K.E.R comes to mind

and also Condemned Criminal Origins

Not a nightmare but still...

House mate was playing Amnesia at night after work one day, was about 8-9, in winter so it was cold and he had the light off, with only his monitor for illumination.

Walked up behind him and dropped my hand on his shoulder. Oh.. boy.. his reaction... never seen a grown man levitate out of a chair like that, I swear he nearly had a heart attack. I think he went and burnt through three cigarets one after the other in about 5 minutes.

He never played Amnesia again after that I think.

He got me back a few weeks later doing the same thing.

... Karma.

There have been some other games that have given me nightmares but for the life of me the names of them escape me. I think BF3 or some war game has given me nightmares of being shot and bleeding out. I actually felt so damn weak when I jerked awake.

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:
I once had a dream that Disney made a movie about Mass Effect 3. It involved a tiny, friendly Reaper (named "Reapsly") that had big cartoon eyeballs and a squeaky voice. He mostly flew around being making bad jokes and obnoxious pop culture references.

Does that count?

Just like this?

Hah, today's catchpa: heebie-jeebies

Majoras Mask. I have never been more scared of the moon then after I first played this game when it was new, and being that the moon was completely visible from my bedroom window, didnīt made things better.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked