Your most-improved sequels

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

System Shock 2, it had a better story sure, and more terrifying enemies yes, but what set it apart from the first one was YOU CAN LOOK AROUND WITH YOUR MOUSE!

I'm actually having a really hard time answering this. I'm going to have to look through what I played recently.

majora13:

Sean Hollyman:
Mass Effect 2, the combat felt SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Much better. Seriously combat in ME1 felt like a disabled man trying to open a cupboard while climbing an escelator.

Huh... I felt completely opposite this. ME2 was smoother, I guess, but it just seemed like they realized that ME1 was too ambitious and nerfed the whole thing. Let's see... No grenades, only one cooldown timer, no advanced equiping (armour, weapon mods, etc...), no weapon stats, recharging health, totally cover-based, no long range combat, no vehicle combat, really no variety in combat at all, and it was super easy. ME1 was awkward as fuck, but at least once you actually got into to it it was tactical and challenging. ME2 was just: 1) hit cover 2) spam singularity 3) move to next waist-high wall. Once you have one power leveled up the single-cooldown-timer basically makes all the other abilities useless. Just take one squad member with biotics and one with tech so you can handle the different types of shields and you're good to go. Really boring shooter, imho. It didn't help that BioWare decided they didn't need loot - that totally unincentivized exploration and made the linear level design all the more apparent.

You forgot about the horrible continuity breaks starting to leak in, and paragon being just as dickish as renegade a lot of time, just passive-aggressive instead of cartoonish

Well, let's see...

Mass Effect 2 - Gunplay is definitely better than the first game. Power revamp made it possible to use powers heavily without needing high-level gear and lots of talent points to reduce cooldowns to a spammable level. Classes are more well defined, with greater distinctions between related classes.

Street Fighter 2 - The first game is a forgettable non-entity. SF2 is the most significant and influential fighting game of all time.

Super Metroid - Greatly expanded moveset allowing for greater combat flexibility and new opportunities for sequence breaking. Larger, more immersive game world.

Super Mario Bros 3 - More varied and interesting power-ups. Larger moveset. Larger game world with more branching paths and more interesting levels.

Infamous 2.

Zeke became a character you want to accept, not fry till his muscles pop. The storyline was well-done and it ended so well... Good Side anyway did

Pokemon Gold/Silver were way better then Red/Blue. Better story, better graphics, more gyms, and more Pokemon. It was just awesome and great sequels.

Zouriz:
How about Super Mario Brothers 3? I don't really count Super Mario Bros. 2/Doki Doki Panic or the real Super Mario Bros. 2/Lost Levels as the true sequel to the first game. The REAL Super Mario Bros. 2 is just a hard rom hack of the first game really. Anyway. SMB3 took everything from the first game and improved on it. The game physics are better, more levels, more variety in the levels, mini games, different bosses, a map screen, more power-ups, the ability to select and use power-ups before a level, and the ability to fly. A HUGE improvement.

I disagree that Super Mario 2 was that hard, but I agree that Super Mario Bros. 3 was far superior. So many power-ups and a lot of cool worlds, a really great game.
Also if Super Mario World can be considered a sequel to that game then that one too.

Without any doubt : Mass Effect 2 and Morrowind 2 : Skyrim

To name a few:

Metroid Prime 3
Metal Gear Solid 3
Mass Effect 2 & 3
Halo: Reach
Portal 2
Wii Sports: Resort
Call of Duty 4
The Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2
Ratchet & Clank 2 & 3
Destroy All Humans 2
Crash Bandicoot 2 & 3
Half-Life 2 (and Episodes)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (though technically a prequel)
Spyro 2 & 3
Star Wars Battlefront 2

This is pretty much a list of my favourite games. Guess I'm just a sucker for sequels.

Dead Space 2 was mentioned last page and I agree with that to the fullest extent. A friend bought my the two games on steam during a sale so I got to play both, one after the other. The really polished everything after the first, not to mention revamping the anti-gravity system to make it so much fun!

And just cause I'm on a Castlevania binge, Symphony of the Night completely renovated 2D Castlevania for the better.

I'll agree with Silent Hill 2 for #2 on improved sequel list. Not that I didn't like 1, but 2 was so good, any game in front of it would seem pale by comparison. But no question, without a doubt, the most improved sequel of all time... Kagero: Deception 2. Tecmo's Deception was an almost unplayable, ugly (even for ps1,) boring, with difficult gameplay camera and control issues. Plus... it just wasn't really fun, a good concept but terrible execution. Kagero improved in every area (except for story, it added a story so bad it became kind of a running joke in the franchise.) Plus they took that good concept and turned it into a game that is exceptionally fun and works even with several flaws. And, Deception stands alone as the only franchise I can name that actually IMPROVED with every new release. Although 3 wasn't much of an improvement, just a little improved. And Trapt was only better because it was on better hardware.

It's too bad so few are aware of that franchise... it needs to come back.

octafish:
System Shock 2, it had a better story sure, and more terrifying enemies yes, but what set it apart from the first one was YOU CAN LOOK AROUND WITH YOUR MOUSE!

The original System Shock despite being amazing for its time really, really, really hasn't aged well. I agree, System Shock 2 was better in pretty much every single way. Good call!

MuttyGrims1321:
Pokemon Gold/Silver were way better then Red/Blue. Better story, better graphics, more gyms, and more Pokemon. It was just awesome and great sequels.

Yes! There's my answer.

For the longest time I started to suspect that all my complaining about them being great was nostalgia... but no when Heart Gold and Soul Silver came out I realised that no. That is where the series kind of peaked. Beating the Elite Four and having an entire half of the world open up, getting to wander around and see how Kanto has changed in three years. It's just... wonderful.

Kingjackl:
To name a few:

Metroid Prime 3
Metal Gear Solid 3
Mass Effect 2 & 3
Halo: Reach
Portal 2
Wii Sports: Resort
Call of Duty 4
The Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2
Ratchet & Clank 2 & 3
Destroy All Humans 2
Crash Bandicoot 2 & 3
Half-Life 2 (and Episodes)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (though technically a prequel)
Spyro 2 & 3
Star Wars Battlefront 2

This is pretty much a list of my favourite games. Guess I'm just a sucker for sequels.

It took 43 replies before someone bothered to mention Metal Gear Solid 3, the fucks going on Escapist?

Tenno:
dragon age 2, 1 was awful from the ground up, the whole game was shoddy, but 2 was brilliant not a single issue

Now i am gonna tell you exactly why this is wr....

Awww dammit i just can't do it anymore, too often.
I just leave you there with your (supress insult) opinion.

On Topic: I really liked the story of kotor 2 better than the story of the first one, although it bugged me a little bit, that nearly everyone in your party could be made into a jedi.

I'm just going to be lazy, not think about it, and go with Diablo 2. Colossal improvement over the original on every single level.

Resident Evil 4

A fucking revolution that was.

If only Shinji Mikami could be this genius all the time.

Conduit 2, of course. The first Conduit was a poorly made, ugly, lackluster, repetitive FPS. Conduit 2 looks better, feels better, has more enemy variety, has a story that's actually there, improves the ASE's use, and only has respawning enemies in one throwback stage.

The three Muv Luv VN's. It starts with Extra, which is kind of generic and boring, gets slightly better with Unlimited and then blows most other sci-fi stories away with Alternative. It's hard to believe that the third one is part of the same thing.

Leemaster777:
So, I've been on a recent Fallout: New Vegas binge. And, as I play, I can't help but think, "God, I wish Fallout 3 had been more like this!".

I'm not saying Fallout 3 was bad, but there were just a ton of niggling little annoyances with it that tempered my enthusiasm. And, despite most of the changes in New Vegas being rather small or subtle, New Vegas fixed almost every issue I had with 3.

Firstly, the change in scenery was greatly appreciated. Fallout 3 just felt so... grey, all the time. And, as Yahtzee put it, "You'll see the interiors of more copy-pasted subway stations than an indecisive hobo.". The Mojave just felt more... colorful. Well, as colorful as a nuclear desert can feel, anyways. And that's not even counting New Vegas itself. Plus, I really dug the whole "old West" feel that the whole game had. Made me feel like a cowboy.

The companions and other NPCs really endeared themselves to me alot more in New Vegas. The only character in Fallout 3 that I found myself liking was Fawkes, while in New Vegas, I loved every single one of my companions (Veronica, in particular, was my favorite).

In terms of actual gameplay-affecting things, I really liked the faction system in New Vegas. It made my choices feel just that much more important. Also, and this is a bit smaller, I GREATLY enjoyed the ability to see whether or not speech challenges would succeed or fail, before you choose them. I cannot TELL you how much that frustrated me in 3.

And while I'll admit that 3 had a better introduction, New Vegas had a better ending, with a better final boss. And, no, I don't care that the DLC that came out later fixed the poor ending. I was playing it on the PS3, and we didn't get the DLC until LONG after I had already traded 3 in.

I could go on, but you get the gist of it. So, what are some of your "most improved sequels"?

Devil May Cry 3 was such a massive improvement that it cannot be measured by mortal terms.

Dynasty Warriors 7 was a GIANT improvement from 6

Sengoku Basara 3 was a giant step over Devil Kings (yes they're sequels)

And while the balance is iffy, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is much better than Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

Devil May Cry 3 over 2 but when the predecessor is as bad as 2 the only way is up. And I still actually think the first one is the best of in the series.

Okay, LIST TYPING FINGERS, ACTIVATE!

1. Witcher 2
2. Dark Souls
3. Penumbra Black Plague *and by extension, Amnesia.*
4. Persona 3 and 4
5. Half Life 2
6. System Shock 2
7. Team Fortress 2
8. You know what, scratch 5 and 7, im just putting Valve Sequels here.
9. Mount and Blade Warband.
10. Red Orchestra 2
11. Assassins Creed 2
12. Just Cause 2

Pokemon Ranger 2.

Oh, man, the Capture system in Ranger 1 was SO BAD. Each Pokemon had an arbitrary number of circles you had to do to Capture them, and lifting your stylus at any point completely undid any work. And the Pokemon you meet at the start of the game? They're not any easier to Capture than later Pokemon, except they might not move or attack quite as much.

Then Ranger 2 changed it to an HP basis, where you just had to do enough circles to reduce them to 0 HP, and if you lifted the Stylus, their HP only gradually refilled so you didn't lose all of your hard work at once. And levelling up meant improving stats, so weaker Pokemon could often be Captured in a single circle later in the game.

And then Ranger 3 refined the combat, and the Pokemon Assists, and even introduced Summon-able Pokemon, including the 3 Legendary Beasts whose backs you could ride around on..

Each game was better than the last, which gives me high hopes for a new Ranger game for the 3DS...

I'll second New Vegas, great improvement upon a great game. At least it is now that the bugs are fixed.

The story and dialogue in Fallout 3 are, to be blunt, terrible. New Vegas fixed that.

Tenno:
dragon age 2, 1 was awful from the ground up, the whole game was shoddy, but 2 was brilliant not a single issue

You be trollin'.

Why you troll?

Savber:
Witcher 2.

My god, it was one of the biggest improvements on one of the most over-rated RPGs of the past decade. The first Witcher was poorly-presented, horrible voice-acting, and atrocious gameplay that was somewhat uplifted by excellent writing and deep C&C.

In the Witcher 2, everything was perfected, paving the way for CDPR to become of the top dogs of the RPG developers.

Seriously was shocked just how big of an improvement the second game was in comparison to the first.

I'll add my vote for Witcher 2. I recently tried out Witcher for the first time, and while the original game has a certain rugged charm, I found myself easily torn away from it by Grimrock, and once I was off it I had little volition to return. Combat was sloppy, inventory and looting was a chore, and most unforgivably the voice acting and writing teetered between "acceptable" and "hilariously awful". Geralt was arguably the worst offender, which was most unfortunate, as he was the most frequently heard from.

The second game isn't just better, it's MILES better. It's gone from being an awkward, poorly translated and badly acted mess to a gorgeous game with a fantastic story and voice acting on par with Bioware's offerings. THIS is the dark fantasy we were meant to get with Dragon Age and never did. Even the juvenile nature of the OMG TITTIES segments has been toned down from the original.

Now if only looting was less of a chore.

Wenseph:
The three Muv Luv VN's. It starts with Extra, which is kind of generic and boring, gets slightly better with Unlimited and then blows most other sci-fi stories away with Alternative. It's hard to believe that the third one is part of the same thing.

I don't think that counts because I'm pretty sure that was done on purpose.

Which sounds crazy but it worked out in the end (for me at least).

Mass Effect 2 due to the combat and the fact that the characters were developed even more.

Assassin's Creed 2 due to...obvious reasons.

Dead Rising 2. There is a huge improvement in all levels between the original and the sequel. It was probably the pinnacle of Keiji Inafune work in Capcom.

Pandabearparade:

Tenno:

You be trollin'.

Why you troll?

It's his opinion.

It's his opinion.

Or, more likely, trolling.

Dragon Age 2 has a dedicated 'hater base', and had some pretty obvious flaws even if you think the game is great. Clearly flamebait.

KoTOR2.

You were a Jedi from the start.
More force powers.
More NPCs.
More meaninful choices.
Better atmosphere.
Prestige classes.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

More characters, better balancing, smarter AI.

Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
An overall tightening of combat, improvement of characters, deeper story and they put it on the PSP and made it look gorgeous.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Regarded as one of the best in the series, and for good reason. The implementation of a camouflage system added a new layer of stealth action, since you have to keep an eye on how visible you are. The story was engaging and the characters were greatly written and voice acted. The combat was improved from MGS2, especially the CQC aspect.

Assassins Creed II, the high point of the series for me, shame its gone a bit downhill from then but I do have high hopes for AC3.

Also Mortal Kombat 2011 is by far the best entry in the series.

Double Dragon II.

That little back kick was a godsend.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked