Major Mass Effect 3 Ending Content Cut out Kotor 2 style (spoilers)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Several voice clips of major characters have been found within the data files suggesting that a large part of the final mission was cut from the game.

It's clear that they are taking part in the final battle
Jack http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_AK6vz4_bM
Grunt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMgonVe5XrM
Jacob http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umEDng9bSOE
Zaeed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPJ_QsIVOD0
Geth Prime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq5p8xLP_WQ

Looking at the leaked script, it seems like they were also planning (in early stages at least) to have an UI (user interface) where we would be assigning our War Assets during the battle, Suicide Mission-style:

CUTSCENE:
A second Reaper fleet arrives in orbit of Earth. Harvesters start launching from the Reapers, and descend towards earth in a massive swarm.

Conversation:

Shepard / Hackett / Anderson decide to move quickly to organize a defense to hold off the Reapers in orbit from reaching the Citadel and to keep the Harvesters away from the London facility.

GUI:

Hammer resolution: summary of performance of the Hammer striketeam and casualty report.

Shield planning: assign strike teams for orbital and planetary operations to defend against the Reaper counterattack.

More supporting evidence for a scrapped larger ending is found in an early response from one of the major writers of the game series.

http://www.gamesthirst.com/2012/03/22/mass-effect-3-writer-distance-himself-from-game-ending-blames-casey-hudson/

The endgame doesn't have that. I wanted to see banshees attacking you, and then have asari gunships zoom in and blow them away. I wanted to see a wave of rachni ravagers come around a corner only to be met by a wall of krogan roaring a battle cry. Here's the horror the Reapers inflicted upon each race, and here's the army that you, Commander Shepard, made out of every race in the galaxy to fight them.

I have NO IDEA why these different cutscenes aren't in there. As far as I know, they were never cut. Maybe they were cut for budget reasons at the last minute. I don't know. But holy crap, yeah, I can see how incredibly disappointing it'd be to hear of all the different ending possibilities and have it break down to "which color is stuff glowing?" Or maybe they ARE in, but they're too subtle to really see obvious differences, and again, that's...yeah.

Source:
http://social.bioware.com/%25252520http:/social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/11651762/1

Right now, nothing would surprise me. Not even this.

Well 2 things. First of all, this isn't really new info. Maybe the specifics are new, but not the fact that there are lots of left overs hiding in the files.

Second and more important point: You know how many games have some kind of content that doesn't make it in the final product or has its design changed at some point or another? All of them.

The only thing worse than something shit is something shit that could have been good.

burningdragoon:
Well 2 things. First of all, this isn't really new info. Maybe the specifics are new, but not the fact that there are lots of left overs hiding in the files.

Second and more important point: You know how many games have some kind of content that doesn't make it in the final product or has its design changed at some point or another? All of them.

And not just games, either; this happens with all media. After all, that's what deleted scenes and alternate endings on DVDs are.

I thought people already knew about this stuff. Did some more leaks come out of the woodwork or something?

Fappy:
I thought people already knew about this stuff. Did some more leaks come out of the woodwork or something?

Considering Bioware's "woodwork" is about as effective as placing a 2X4 over a river and asking cars to drive over it............ I am not surprised stuff fell through.

SajuukKhar:

Fappy:

considering bioware's "woodwork" is about as effective as placing a 2X4 over a raver and asking cars to dirve over it............ i am not surprised stuff fell through.

This is so true it's sad. I find it really hard to believe that half of Bioware's leaks are accidents.

Zhukov:
The only thing worse than something shit is something shit that could have been good.

Pfft, yeah, just ask Star Wars fans.

Fuck, at least they have the original trilogy (which had an ending that actually made sense) whereas we're stuck with our entire Mass Effect trilogy being invalidated in the final minutes. xD

Ah well, I'm over it now. Maybe the extended cut will suck less. Probably never buying another Bioware game again (new, at least).

That's the kind of thing I wanted. Hell, I figured we would assign the fleets suicide mission style. They did such a good job with that in ME 2. Why they wouldn't expand on it for the next game is beyond me.

I was not aware of this, and I'm now very mad. I just dont get it, they literally had it perfect on what kind of ending I would've been happy with (Choosing to deploy your assests etc) and they just chucked it out the window for seemingly no reason?

Promise something, cut it due to time constraints, lie about that being your plan all along. Good job [slow clap]

Your last two quotes disappoint me to no end what that poor writer was describing was EXACTLY what I was hoping for in the final battle. Such a god damned shame.

I feel almost as bad for him that his work was squandered like that... without his knowledge, even.

Although those bits of dialogue would have added a fair amount to the final mission the ending is still nonsensical and just outright stupid.

They...geth primes...why...you take them out bioware!!!

ARGH!!! That would have been so amazing damn it

Just more proof that the game was rushed.

Like KoTOR2, a game of this scope SHOULD NOT have been given only 2 years to be made (1 year for KoTOR2).

It already sucks that we got a shit ending.

But the very fact that something so close to greatness was SO DAMN CLOSE. Yes, suffered the same fate as KOTOR 2.

I would've waited another month for this. Yes I would have.

Jesus Christ...

To think that future gamers will look on this as the KOTOR 2 of our time

It makes me want to cry, really

atistic integrety at its finest people

thats it. fuck EA for rushing the game, but FUCK BIOWARE FOR NOY HAVING BALLS TO TELL THE TRUTH.

seems more and more likely someone higher up came along looked at what was made and said "no more delays ship it as is"

I had heard some writer was not content with the ending, and that some content was cut, but hot damn, I didnt know Casey Hudson locked all the writers out and soloed the ending. That's just...insane. Did he have a case of insanity or a power trip? Why would he take the writers from one of the most celebrated games series ever and descide that suddenly he could make the CONCLUSION to the whole thing better himself?

But this also makes a bit of sense, and to me finally explains why the ending ended up the way it did. Up until now I couldnt for my life have figured out -why- they thought the mess of an ending would be a good idea, and how there could be such a ridicilous jump in quality from the rest of the game and those very last 5 minutes.

I still have faith in Bioware's staff now, especielly its writers, just not its leadership. Frankly, Casey should loose his job over this.

I'm glad they cut all this so there would be enough resources for bringing Chobot into the Mass effect universe!

I salute you BioWare for your priorities.

The whole thing is this is blamed on time constraints, but ME2 was released 2011, they could have kept working on ME3 till 2013, most games have at least a two year cycle, Noone would have cared if the game was still being worked on because we would know it was gonna be good. I dont know why they rushed this game so bad, maybe they were worried about the mayans calendar XD

Dryk:
Promise something, cut it due to time constraints, lie about that being your plan all along. Good job [slow clap]

The OP actually invalidates the time constraints argument, considering the majority of work seems to of been done.

Smithburg:
The whole thing is this is blamed on time constraints, but ME2 was released 2011, they could have kept working on ME3 till 2013, most games have at least a two year cycle, Noone would have cared if the game was still being worked on because we would know it was gonna be good. I dont know why they rushed this game so bad, maybe they were worried about the mayans calendar XD

Mass Effect 2 January 26, 2010. :/

Well we all knew stuff was cut from the ending, I guess knowing what was cut is...........something. Fuel for the fan-boy fires at least.

Yet it still doesnt bother me and I still await Biowares next title release.

Cool shit was cut because of pressure to meet deadlines from EA.

Is anyone surprised by this? Did anyone honestly believe this wouldn't happen before the game came out?

Making a deal with EA is like making a deal the devil. They'll give you short-term rewards, but fuck you in the end.

yeah I heard about the crew members being cut but not the assignment of War assets thing that was what I thought was going to happen so what happened was either:
1. bioware ran out of time of time and rushed towards the deadline because EA wouldn't make any more delays
or
2. they got lazy

And from the looks of things it was a combination of both

Dendio:

Geth Prime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq5p8xLP_WQ

Some of those lines are actually in-game. If you save both quarians and geth, there will be a geth prime you can speak to.

This drives me absolutely mad. I just want someone from Bioware to come out and say exactly what's going on: why is the ending like it is, whose fault it is, what the original plan was, whether they were planning ending DLC all along, whether they're actually sorry. It's not the ending that's annoying me any more, it's all the PR bull

and the cycle of the rEApers continues.
find the most successful developer and harvest them.
perhaps we might find an ancient bullfrog employe.....

captcha: count your change.
okay........

yeah, seems incredibly likely. It would have been a way cooler ending to ME3, if they could pull it off. I just kinda want to see a squad of krogen battlemasters tearing through the enemy ranks. It would be badass.

I have one more thing to say on this topic... THESE are the people that everyone thinks stand to lose their artistic integrity by changing their game? Really? 'cause from where I'm sitting they don't have much left TOO lose.

I don't understand how people can still talk about "supporting the developer" with a straight face when it comes to EA. With them sales lead to worse production quality time and time again, not much is different with the other major publishers.

The only studios worth supporting these days are the independent ones.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked