Odd things you do in Video games

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

As of writing I am currently playing Prototype 2, and I am enjoying it thoroughly. After getting the hang of the locomotion mechanics however I caught myself attempting to jump the exact distance between rooftops as opposed to holding down A and hoping I don't overshoot the damn thing. So escapists how many of you perform silly little acts like this, such as reloading after firing a single round, or parallel parking in Saints Row/GTA etc.

Also captcha: hug me

I'm so anal about character customisation, it's not even funny.

Seriously, I'll spend ages crafting a character and then if I notice something that bugs me, I'll delete hours of game play just to rectify it.

Daystar Clarion:
I'm so anal about character customisation, it's not even funny.

Seriously, I'll spend ages crafting a character and then if I notice something that bugs me, I'll delete hours of game play just to rectify it.

Are you me?!

Hell, I spent more of my first session with both Skyrim and KoA:R customizing my character than with actual gameplay.

Double post

Do you count jumping everywhere you go in games that let you do that? Even if it's just regular human sized jumps, I just hop everywhere. I guess it's that I feel like I should be pressing a button.

I also hoard healing items and will even refuse to use them in fights at the end, depending on the game and whether that's feasible.

I know some people may find it odd but I NEVER use fast travel in Bethesda games.

Oblivion, fallout 3, Skyrim, and Obsidian's New Vegas..... Never used it.

It takes away from so much of the game..... and when I hear "THOSE GAMES HAVE NOTHING IN THEM" it usually comes from people who fast travel everywhere and dont ever actually experience the world.

SajuukKhar:
I know some people may find it odd but I NEVER use fast travel in Bethesda games.

Oblivion, fallout 3, Skyrim, and Obsidian's New Vegas..... Never used it.

It takes away from so much of the game..... and when I hear "THOSE GAMES HAVE NOTHING IN THEM" it usually comes from people who fast travel everywhere and dont ever actually experience the world.

Not even the silt striders and mages guild teleporters in Morrowind, if you count those? They're not exactly the same as the fast travel in the games listed, but they serve the same function to a more limited degree.

Mortai Gravesend:

Not even the silt striders and mages guild teleporters in Morrowind, if you count those? They're not exactly the same as the fast travel in the games listed, but they serve the same function to a more limited degree.

Well in Morrowind I used those yes, but in all of Bethesda's newer games were fast travel is "basically random magical teleport with no explanation" no.

I do use skyrim's carriages occasionally. I am so glad they added those in.

SajuukKhar:

Mortai Gravesend:

Well in Morrowind I used those yes, but in all of Bethesda's newer games were fast travel is "basically random magical teleport with no explanation" no.

I do use skyrim's carriages occasionally.

Ah I see. I was mostly curious since travelling Morrowind could get a bit tedious at times without those. And when you've travelled back and forth between the available cities enough it gets a bit tiring. At least for me. And there's still cities that aren't as easily reachable.

In every open world game I play I must find the boundary of the world, I will walk/swim or whatever into the middle of nowhere to find the edge of the world.

In any game that dares throw a QTE at me I will hold there forever just to see what happens.

I always have to have my dude go to sleep if its night time... and the game allows it. I always thought the idea of heroes doing a million different death-defying things in one day was kinda over the top.

I obey the traffic laws in No More Heroes.

Also, I play with the cat every time I leave the apartment, but I wonder how unusual that really is.

I'm a horder . If i feel an item is precious or rare , i'll keep it and NEVER use it , just in case i need it for the end boss . Usually indon't need them . But they are nice to have . Like rocket launcher ammo or mega elixirs .

Also i always save twice when i manual save in two different save slots, just in case . Oh and i always keep a back up at important events just incase i screw something up . The bahamut zero summon from FF7 taught me that one .

Some people have already mentioned some of mine: Item hoarding and Character Customization pickiness.

I also have a tendency to just kind of... Explore you could say? Basically just challenge myself to find something like make a scavenger hunt and find this and that or give myself timed races. This is usually in games with wide open worlds like Legend of Zelda or the second and third Sly Cooper games.

I reload so often it's ridiculous.

Also when it comes to weight limits I insist my character carry as little as possible.

I collect all the dead cats in Icewind dale, cause apparently they bring luck

I hoard all things in a game that lets me. I was disappointed with all the junk in 'RAGE' that I couldn't pick up. Or when I get tired of hoarding random objects, I'll pick something like Teddies or toys, because that's what I'd probably do in real life

In games that revolve around shooting I must reload everytime I kill somebody, because if I don't I will run out of ammo on the next person and die.
I also hoard random shit, and if there are two or more ways in dungeons I will explore all of it, because I am afraid of missing valuable loot.
And I always leave the main quest line until last, all side quests will be completed before advancing the story

I very seldom rage, If I fail I usually just sit still and stare at the screen for a moment and think, oh well that sucks...
This odes thou not apply to multiplayer like fifa, nhl or other were your pal sits next to you...

Whenever I drive somewhere in GTA games, I always go full throttle into the mission marker as if I'm testing how well the games "cutscene breaks" work. Occasionally I get fast enough to hit something.

I always flush toilets if I can.
I have a tendancy to set things on fire and run like hell.
I micromanage equipment like crazy. You never know when you need 1 extra point in strength!
And sidequests. If I can do them all first, I will. This does not help when I'm playing Just Cause 2...

i always stare at water graphics, and if they are sufficiently "pretty" will stare at it for hours.

you do not want to know how many hours i spent looking at the water in halflife 2 when it first came out.

I hoard certain random crap to decorate my house (the Megaton house in Fallout 3 and presidential suite in Fallout: New Vegas).

Oddly enough the old "step on a crack and it will break your mother's back" saying always gives me this weird compulsion to jump over and avoid every crack I can.

I sometimes stash certain items i find funny or interesting say a variety of wines or kegs, lockets, and flowers.

Back in age of empires 2 i felt the urge to cut down every single tree on a map, i was pretty sour about the Aztec maps having jungles. Those trees had it coming.

Edit: forgot to add a bad habit of wanting to climb every mountain in an mmo.

I will kill any random NPC that insults me, or is just generally rude if there are not any nearby guards, or if I think I can take whatever guards are near by. In Skyrim I've attacked Nazim (in Whiterun) after he made the snide comment about how I don't make it to the Cloud District very often.

And when I play as an assassin character, after I kill a group of enemies I will shoot each one in the head using the weakest ammo I have (i.e. 10mm or .32 ammo in Fallout or Iron arrows in TES).

Finally I tend to hide the bodies of people I've killed, or at the very least drag them a good distance away from the road.

Micromanagement is my fetish.
I often exchange better equipment for better looking. :]

item hoarder, open every chest/container i come across (even in fallout those little boxes with physical items inside), if i find a particularly EPIC part of a game i will always create a save at that spot so if at any time i wish i can replay it (even though i never do)

This isn't exactly what you're talking about, but lately I've been doing it a lot and it's starting to bug me.

Basically, I'll have a couple of awesome, big budget games lying around and I'll completely ignore them for some simple browser game on Kongregate or some game I've played to death (200 hours in M&B:Warband, but I keep playing it). For instance, I've had ME3 since release and I haven't played the single player past landing on the Citadel for the first time.

And now that I've rambled about that, I tend to jump WAY too much in games. Also, if there is any sort of archery/firearm collision detection, I try to set up trick shots.

What I like to do in games such as Oblivion and Fallout is display all my trophies in my home (or stolen home). I spend ages taking key items from long quests or cool weapons/items from quests then setting them up around my chosen house.
This way, whenever I enter my house I can see the travels/adventures my characters have been on, as opposed to just leveling.

In any game that allows it, I steal/loot/buy everyone's shoes.

In most shooting games, if I come across an ammo pickup when I've already got a full clip, I'll always fire off a few shots so I can pick it up. It's completely pointless and a total waste of time, but I just can't leave ammo laying around. What if I need it later?

This same mindset prevents me from using Ethers, Elixers and other rare items in RPGs. By the time the last battle rolls around, I've got a pretty huge stock of these items because I never used them- and I'll still refuse to use them, even though logically, I'll never have a chance to do so again since it's the last boss of the game. Funny how my brain processes these things.

I generally will take the first opportunity to stand in a fire and burn to death if I can. I get kinda sad when the game doesn't let me. It's just something about saying that I managed to die sometimes before you face your first enemy or even a deadly drop. Also, yeah hoarding potions etc.

Cobbs:
snip

One weird thing that comes to mind is I got ceremonial / honor bound in Oblivion after the huge battle outside an Oblivion gate with the big battering ram coming through it.

I proceeded to take every dead blades member's body, straighten them out so they had their hands by there side, legs straight etc. and placed their shield and weapon on there chests or next to them.

well for one i am a MASSIVE loot whore, if there is anything i can take, i will take it and just store it in chests or sell it (the perk in fallout nv that means you can fast travel was a godsend) but i'll even take things that have no value whatsoever -sigh-

i also try ridiculously hard to keep npcs alive, like say in halo the marines you get, even though they will probably disappear at the end of the level, i will often reload saves to keep them alive

I must do things in sufficiently cool manner. Like in Batman: Arkham City, why run into a group of thugs when you can just stand there, wait for them to surround you then counter the first strike like a boss?

If I have the choice between landing on a guys face and instantly removing him from the fight or landing in the middle of a load of dudes and letting the land animation run all the way through i'll take the second option every damn time.

Also exploring, I don't even enjoy it in games like DA:O when there's an epic dungeon I need to go into every damn room just in case I miss the Epic Ashtray of Christ or something. I actually feel really anxious about it if I don't

Also reloading every gun after every shot must happen. Reloading animations can make or break an FPS for me.

Annnnnnd any potential time limits for things make me overreact so much. Not so much if the game says "you have X hours, go do shit" but if the game just hints at the time like so:

"Hey you might want to get this done quick son"

"Why?"

"No reason, just keep the time in mind..."

Like certain Social Links in Persona 4, i'm aware that some (most, if not all) of the time limits are really not all that limiting, but i'll be damned if I thought like that in my first playthrough. Oh and apparently the Ai S Link was meant to be difficult... Like loads of people going on about it on Tvtropes difficult.

*looks at Avatar* Hey, Keima. You're rubbing off on me man. I S ranked that shit first try XD

Now someone's gonna ruin it for me by saying it was actually super easy for everyone...

In games that offer very limited loadouts (eg. the typical 2-slot deal), I often pass up more powerful weapons such as rocket launchers for the weapons I'm given at the start of a level. Even if they're utter shit. The only time I drop them is if I'm feeling extremely paranoid about what's around the next corner or I'm out of ammo with no hope of a refill in sight.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked