3DS - So What's To Look Forward To?

So I managed to get hold of a 3DS for 60. Problem is, there aren't any games I'm interested in. I've played most of the biggest releases (RE Revelations, MGS3, DOA, Mario Kart 7, Star Fox) but there's nothing which I can invest a long term investment in. I'm not touching Tales of the Abyss before anyone askes.

So, are there any future games for the system worth looking forward to? Particularly something with a little depth? I guess there's Monster Hunter (not sure when it's coming out though) and Code of Princess (which sadly, no-one in the west other than me appears to want), but is there anything else anyone here is keeping an eye on? Strangely, when searching future releases on google, there is no clear list.

New Super Mario Bros 2, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts 3D, Animal Crossing 3D, Bravely Default (not sure when it's coming, but check out the trailers) and this list is just off the top of my head. Don't go to google for new release lists, check out Amazon, or GameFAQ's for better release lists.

It's a really good time to be a 3DS owner right now

3DS has really got it's act in gear and is becoming an excellent addition to the handheld community (Vita will get there eventually) Riku's Twilight's post above is pretty much the best explanation.

Wish Nintendo held off releasing the 3DS until it had a better library...

...I also hope Fire Emblem 13 will be released in the US also.

Sadly, all the games mentioned are sequels to games :(

Personally, I'm not a fan of sequel. Or at least not for the games mentioned above.

Monster Hunter being the exception as I've never played a monster hunter.

Aircross:
Wish Nintendo held off releasing the 3DS until it had a better library...

...I also hope Fire Emblem 13 will be released in the US also.

NOA recently registered the domain name fireemblemawakening.com, so there actually is some hope that it'll be coming to the 3DS.
edit: I meant US. Derp.

Also, there are some good games on the eShop if you're willing to check it out. I personally recommend Sakura Samurai, Pushmo, Mighty Switch Force (as well as the rest of the "Mighty" games), and an updated version of Cave Story, which will have all the special features of the DSiWare and Steam version is coming soon.

There hasn't been an announcement yet, but you can be sure a 3DS Pokemon game is coming. Possibly the Sapphire/Ruby remakes, and almost certainly Gen 6.

Despite the bad review from Yahtzee, I find Kid Icciris to be a pretty fun game

SirBryghtside:
I'm still holding off on the purchase, but I've heard that the online store is brilliant.

Sadly, you heard wrong. There's very little there. Basically it's DSi games and a handful of old gameboy games like Tetris, Super Mario 2, which they're charging a minimum of 3.70 for. Why aren't they selling Snes games for download? I'm sure people would be more interested in handheld versions of their fav snes titles?

There's the 3DS version of Smash Bros. and Paper Mario, set to be released in who the hell knows when.

For now, Kid Icarus Uprising is actually pretty awesome. It amazes me that so many people complain about the controls when they really aren't that bad. "I have to hold the 3DS with one hand? Oh noes! That's... naaaaw!" You don't even have to do that. You can still hold it so you're holding the stylus and keeping the bottom right corner in your palm. It's nowhere near as bad as Jim or Yahtzee make it out.

As for the game itself, a lot of fun. There are lots of weapons to choose from, you can combine them to make stronger weapons. The dialogue is really funny to me (Yahtzee wasn't a fan, but different tastes, I guess), like listening to an 80s cartoon. My reaction was basically "This dialogue is so campy. Why am I loving it?" Hell, Cree Summer, Troy Baker, S. Scott Bullock, and Ali Hillis lend their voices to the game. Really, at least try this game. Get a taste for it from Gamefly at least, or borrow from a friend who has it. Maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't. But at least try it.

Duck Sandwich:
There's the 3DS version of Smash Bros. and Paper Mario, set to be released in who the hell knows when.

Basically this for future releases.

The only game i'd be interested in would just be monster hunter 3G, but even then it isn't that much different from MH portable 3rd. So i'll pass and wait for the next one or two on a console i own instead of wasting extra money for only one game with only maybe 12 new monsters (2 new ones rest are just subspecies + underwater combat mobs from MH tri). Though i would love to fight that Deviljho subspecies. But eww to the underwater combat.

geK0:
Despite the bad review from Yahtzee, I find Kid Icciris to be a pretty fun game

There is a lot to do in this one too. I think there are 30 chapters (not even on 10 personally) with a lot of variables when you change up the difficulty.

---

Ocarina of Time is a good bet and there's the Master Quest if you beat it. As for future releases:

Animal Crossing
Donkey Kong 3D
Kingdom Hearts Dream, Drop, Distance (3D, get it?)
Luigi's Mansion 2
New Super Mario Bros 2
Paper Mario
Project X Zone (holding out hope it gets released in the west)
Super Smash Brothers 3rd Dream (or whatever cleaver way they think of for calling it 3D without calling it 3D)
Theatrythem Final Fantasy (if you're into rhythm games and Final Fantasy)

The 3DS E-Shop has a pretty decent offering too if you, like me, missed out on the various NES, GB, and other random ass games from yesteryear like, Adventure Island (gb) and Shinobi on the gamegear.

I've been doing e-shop games myself, lately. Zen 3D Pinball keeps me amused in lineups, & Plants vs Zombies is good for on the bus or anywhere, really.

Luigi's Mansion 2 and Paper Mario 3DS are something to look forward to, but I don't know about 3rd parties.

Terramax:

Personally, I'm not a fan of sequel. Or at least not for the games mentioned above.

Code of Princess, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, Bravely Default and Tales of the Abyss all aren't sequels.

Also most of those aren't 'sequels' in the traditional sense. I distinguish between 'sequels' for games and 'games within a series' - if a game follows a franchise story, then to me it's a new experience and i'm perfectly happy to play those.

Monster Hunter, although yes it's within a series it's also a true sequel to a game, where it's adding new stuff and not really changing anything else or adding story

I hate 3D stuff, I wish Nintendo would stop with the gimmicks.

Riku'sTwilight:

Terramax:

Code of Princess, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, Bravely Default and Tales of the Abyss all aren't sequels.

Also most of those aren't 'sequels' in the traditional sense. I distinguish between 'sequels' for games and 'games within a series' - if a game follows a franchise story, then to me it's a new experience and i'm perfectly happy to play those.

I consider games under the same series to be sequels in that they offer pretty much the same experience. I don't touch Final Fantasy games anyway. I looked at Bravely Default but I'm not sure it's the kind of game I'm after.

No, Code of Princess isn't a sequel, which is why it's the only game I'm excited about. That being said, some may consider it a spiritual sequel to Guardian Heroes, but that game was made around 1996, so to have a sequel to a game that old I wouldn't be too fussed about. We haven't had a decent brawler on a handheld yet. The Bleach games by Treasure are as close as we've gotten so far.

So far I've bought Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Star Fox, Kid Icarus and Ocarina of Time.

I'm looking forward to Luigi's Mansion 2, Fire Emblem, New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Animal Crossing.

As for the eShop, get ahold of Pushmo/Pullblox. That game rules all over the place.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked