ME2
9.1% (15)
9.1% (15)
ME3
36.6% (60)
36.6% (60)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Mass Effect: Your favorite Citadel

i have been playing Mass Effect 3, as well as started a new play through of Mass Effect, and realized, that THAT Citadel felt more larger in scale, as if more detail and thought was put into it. Also, going from ME1 to ME2 the Citadel lost a lot of volume, while ME3 added some volume to the citadel, but it still does not feel as grand as the one from ME1

it could also be the fact that there were no loading screens in ME1, which, with hind sight, was a really stupid thing to whine about(i actually enjoyed the lack of them), and the lack of them added to the volume, and unrestriction of the Citadel, making ME1 Citadel, in my eyes, the more superior Citadel.

ME1. I actually got to run around it, making it seem bigger. The one in ME3 was okay, but ME2's was a joke.

ME3's by a huge, huge margin.

It felt much more alive and, most importantly, it changed over time. The hospital started filling with casualties as the war went on. Refugees crowded onto the wards and lower docks. People came and went from the nightclub and market. There was damage after the Cerberus attack.
Best of all, there were tons of people talking and you could run across your crew members on shore leave.

ME3 did a good job of conveying the sense that you were seeing the end of times. The slow deterioration of the Citadel, the random NPC dialogue and the news reports really helped sell that whole doomsday atmosphere.

ME1's citadel was sterile, utterly static and kind of ugly. ME2 was prettier and more alive, but shrunk way down.

Zhukov:

ME1's citadel was sterile, utterly static and kind of ugly. ME2 was prettier and more alive, but shrunk way down.

This. ↑

Plus it was confusing at first...

I really liked ME2's.

Zhukov:

It felt much more alive and, most importantly, it changed over time. .

I can see what you mean, there was a galatic wide war on ....and you FELT it, you saw the effects, it would seem odd that the citadel remains compley free of any of the war

I still like the ME1 citadel for feeling larger..yeah it did feel sterile (that assari in the yellow dress..walking back and forth...back and fourth), but you also felt like a tourest..seeing the wonders of the galaxy

I guess ME2 citadel could have done with some changes each time you visited,

Zhukov:

It felt much more alive and, most importantly, it changed over time. The hospital started filling with casualties as the war went on. Refugees crowded onto the wards and lower docks. People came and went from the nightclub and market. There was damage after the Cerberus attack.
Best of all, there were tons of people talking and you could run across you crew members on shore leave.

The slow deterioration of the Citadel, the random NPC dialogue and the news reports really helped the whole doomsday atmosphere. ME3 did a good job of conveying the sense that you were seeing the end of times.

I agree with everything said here. I also have to say that despite being as large as it was, Mass Effect 1's Citadel was very...empty. I mean, there were so many parts where it was like "What is the point of this section of the Citadel other than to increase the amount of time it takes me to get to where I am going. There is nothing pretty to look at, no one to talk to, no shops, ect." Compare to Mass Effect 3, where no matter where you go on the Citadel you are usually 10 seconds away from something relevant.

Ranking them, I would say

ME3
ME1
ME2

However, if I had to grade each game for it's hub worlds overall, I actually think ME2 did the best job because overall the scale of Illium, The Citadel, Omega, and Tuchanka dwarfs ME3 and is far more interesting than ME1.

Hard to choose, ME3 has the best design, the best club... ME1 had better quests and felt bigger.

In ME2 you can't just judge the Citadel, it's all divided between Omega, Ilium, Tuchanka and the Citadel.

Zhukov:

Best of all, there were tons of people talking and you could run across you crew members on shore leave.

The slow deterioration of the Citadel, the random NPC dialogue and the news reports really helped the whole doomsday atmosphere. ME3 did a good job of conveying the sense that you were seeing the end of times.

This, although if there was one downside to ME3's Citadel, it would be the elevators. As long and repetitive the elevator rides were in ME1, I liked the news reports and the squad dialogue. In ME3, the loading times are way too long, and all you get to pass the time is some panning shots of the Presidium (which I've never found that pretty in any of the games tbh, far too clean looking). Also, that automated voice gets so fucking annoying.

ME1 Citadel, despite being the biggest and the most open, was the worst imo. This scale just becomes a disadvantage when there's very little to do most of the time. ME2 was way smaller by comparison, but it still had more in it.

NinjaDeathSlap:

Zhukov:
[snip]

This, although if there was one downside to ME3's Citadel, it would be the elevators. As long and repetitive the elevator rides were in ME1, I liked the news reports and the squad dialogue. In ME3, the loading times are way too long, and all you get to pass the time is some panning shots of the Presidium (which I've never found that pretty in any of the games tbh, far too clean looking).

Loading times? Really?

Huh.

I played on PC. 3 second load times. I barely even got to look at the pictures.

Zhukov:

NinjaDeathSlap:

Zhukov:
[snip]

This, although if there was one downside to ME3's Citadel, it would be the elevators. As long and repetitive the elevator rides were in ME1, I liked the news reports and the squad dialogue. In ME3, the loading times are way too long, and all you get to pass the time is some panning shots of the Presidium (which I've never found that pretty in any of the games tbh, far too clean looking).

Loading times? Really?

Huh.

I played on PC. 3 second load times. I barely even got to look at the pictures.

Well, my 360 is now about 6 years old (I must be the only person left in the world with a 360 that's lasted that long without breaking) and is running out of hard drive space fast. I'm not an expert so I don't know if those things would affect it much.

Maybe I was just imagining them to be longer than they were because the pictures and the music were so dull.

I could never find my way around the citadel in ME1, and the unnecessarily long elevator rides drove me nuts.
The map in ME1 was awful as well.
Voted for ME3.

ME3's felt far too gated. ME1's seemed far more seamless.

I am Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite citadel on th-BWAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Elamdri:
I agree with everything said here. I also have to say that despite being as large as it was, Mass Effect 1's Citadel was very...empty. I mean, there were so many parts where it was like "What is the point of this section of the Citadel other than to increase the amount of time it takes me to get to where I am going. There is nothing pretty to look at, no one to talk to, no shops, ect."

That's precisely what I missed in ME2 and 3, the Citadel in the first game was more like a real place than something which exists solely for my benefit. It frustrates me no end when every location in a game is clearly very 'gamey' as opposed to being like a real place!

I actually liked 3's the best. 1's was a little confusing just starting out, and it felt sort of detached from the Citadel you saw out the windows, and the GODDAMN ELEVATORS FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

...But 3's felt a little more like they were part of a bigger thing. Much better designed. And with more art direction outside of the Presidium.

ME3s. As others have said it changed over time, and your squad actually get out of the ship to enjoy it too. Mainly at the bar it seems.

I hated the Citadel. So it would make sense if I chose the smallest one; Mass Effect 2's.

I'm Aerosteam and this is my favourite Citadel in Mass Effect.

I always got lost in ME1, and it felt kind of stale to me. And, you know, elevators.

ME2's was alright, but the lack of a proper presidium was pretty noticable. It also felt really small.

ME3 was the one that felt "real". It had a big presidium, and you could see the effects of the war. The big downside were the loading times I had to sit through everytime I wanted to visit another part of the Citadel. The price I pay for not being part of the PC master race I guess :S

So yeah, ME3's Citadel wins in my books.

Mass Effect 3, sure its not as big as the Citadel in Mass Effect 1, but a lot of ME1's Citadel just felt like filler areas, it wasnt that fun to explore

They all kind of felt like tedious quest hubs to me. At least in ME2 you have some big quests going on.

Sure, ME1 had the biggest explorable Citadel but it felt like most of my time in that version was spent running the long distance from point A to point B then to point C etc. Not to mention riding those elevators...

I wasn't upset about ME2's Citadel being much smaller, it just allowed the focus to be placed on new hubs like Illium and Omega. Plus, throughout ME2 I felt like Shepard was trying to keep a lower profile what with his involvement with Cerberus. It seemed justified that he/she wasn't bogged down with Citadel side quests.

Therefore, ME3 was my favourite. You could see and hear the toll the war was taking on the citizens in the Citadel. I particularly liked the contrast between the Commons and the Holding Area. The former had the well dressed citizens shopping and trying to pretend it's still business as usual, the latter had refugees of all races trying to find safety and the whereabouts of lost loved ones.

*Only played the first 2*

ME1 because, let's face it, the Citadel in ME2 was a shopping mall in layout, aesthetics and function.

Goofguy:

I wasn't upset about ME2's Citadel being much smaller, it just allowed the focus to be placed on new hubs like Illium and Omega. Plus, throughout ME2 I felt like Shepard was trying to keep a lower profile what with his involvement with Cerberus. It seemed justified that he/she wasn't bogged down with Citadel side quests.

Shepard:I'm keeping a low profile.

*Echoing throughout the shopping district*

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel

Shepard:...

Yeah... my Shepard's kind of a corporate whore and he likes hearing his own voice more than Harbinger.

Zhukov:

ME3 did a good job of conveying the sense that you were seeing the end of times. The slow deterioration of the Citadel, the random NPC dialogue and the news reports really helped sell that whole doomsday atmosphere.

Those NPC dialogues kind of ruined it for me. The fact that their conversations continued in sections only when you were there made it feel really dead, and as though the world only moved for you.

If you take ME1's and make the elevators significantly shorter (so they're only about 5-10 seconds long, not 30 secs to a minute!) then ME1's. Otherwise I thought ME2's was better than 3 for its robustness, easy to get around-ness, and the fact that everything's where you needed it.

ME1's wins for me.

Mainly because that was the game that a) didn't have thermal clips and b) let you pull out your weapons and blaze away whenever you felt like it.

cue endless hours of fun as the first ever human specter ran around riddling the place with bullets or stood there 'fishing'.

3 comes next, with its more organic feel, then comes 2 which was basically a glorified store

I hated the Citadel in ME1 and it wasn't the elevator rides, I actually liked those, it was everything else.

The Citadel in ME2 was basically a shopping mall but it wasn't so bad since it shared hub duties with Illium and Omega.

I love the Citadel in ME3 it just feels more alive. So many little things that makes it feel like a real place. ME1 just felt so empty.

ME3, no question about it. Each of the areas had a completely different feel, like *gasp* actual areas of an actual city. There was a great atmosphere of desperation, especially in the second half of the game. And seeing your squaddies explore the Citadel was super, especially when you were able to schedule appointments with them. All of this made it feel like an actual place instead of some polygons made to look like a place.

As someone mentioned, though, in ME2 you have to count the other hubs, too. And I was a HUGE fan of Omega, and Illium was pretty cool. I'll still take ME3's single impressive Citadel, but when we compare everything, it's closer. I really appreciated how the hub missions in ME2 felt like they were a part of that hub - Mordin, Archangel, and Samara's loyalty on Omega, Thane and Samara on Illium, Thane's loyalty on the Citadel. It made the world feel interconnected, as opposed to the disjointed feel of Jack's or Grunt's recruitment, Jacob's loyalty, etc.

The Kasumi and Thane missions in ME3 do this, but I do wish it came up more often.

ME3 because all the travel around hubs in ME2 just stuffed the time between missions. In ME3 it was just ONE hub world where all the shops are located. ME1's citadel was all tangled and confusing for me, made it hardly worth returning to in-between missions to buy stuff.

thespyisdead:
i have been playing Mass Effect 3, as well as started a new play through of Mass Effect, and realized, that THAT Citadel felt more larger in scale, as if more detail and thought was put into it. Also, going from ME1 to ME2 the Citadel lost a lot of volume, while ME3 added some volume to the citadel, but it still does not feel as grand as the one from ME1

ME1 by a slight margin over ME3. ME3 did a lot to bring back the real feel of the original citadel, but I still liked the sprawl of ME1 best.

I hated the Citadel in ME2. I realize that part of the resources went to making Omega, but still, ick.

I don't like cities where you can go everywhere... it makes it seem small compared to what the lore in the game says. ME2's was lame. I like how 3 handled theirs. It was big enough to run around in, but not too big.

A toss up between 3 and 1. 3 had Garrus's spot though...so that edges it out.

There's a nitpicking nerd in me that wants to say none of them is my favourite because they're all the same Citadel - and there's no real contradiction in any of the portrayals.

As for the best Citadel experience though, for me it's got to be ME3, then ME1, then ME2.

I agree with a lot of others in saying the ME2 one felt pretty tacked on, but the Citadel wasn't much of a focus in that game - whereas it's central to the plot of both ME1 and ME3. A better question might be to ask which do you prefer: the Citadel in ME1, Omega in ME2 or the Citadel in ME3.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked